ADVERTISEMENT

Texas & Oklahoma Want to Join SEC

So is Texas going to going to give up the Longhorn Channel? I can see OU making that move but where does that leave OSU?

So is Texas going to going to give up the Longhorn Channel? I can see OU making that move but where does that leave OSU?
"Oklahoma State, while calling the reports "unconfirmed," said it would be "extremely disappointed" if they were true and would defend its position.

"While we place a premium on history, loyalty and trust, be assured, we will aggressively defend and advance what is best for Oklahoma State and our strong athletic program, which continues to excel in the Big 12 and nationally," the school said in a statement.

One potential obstacle for such a move, at least any time soon, is that Oklahoma and Texas signed a Big 12 grant-of-rights agreement, in which they granted their first- and second-tier media rights for football and men's basketball to the conference through June 30, 2025. That means the Big 12 would still own those schools' media rights for those sports -- even if they are no longer members -- until the agreement expires.

The Big 12's TV contracts with ESPN and Fox also expire in 2025. The Longhorn Network's deal with ESPN goes through 2031."

I have no idea what the OSU quote about defending their position means. They have no control over what Oklahoma or Texas may or may not decide to do.

tenor.gif
A&M, Ark, and MU are more than likely hard no's. They need 3/4 approval.
Arkansas is a hard yes. Would be a huge win for them. Get back their main rival. More games in Texas for recruiting. Ags leaked this because they don’t have the votes and we’re hoping politicians step in. That won’t happen.

Guess this means the playoffs are expanding. I cant see either wanting to make the move in a 4 team model moving forward. Seems it would make making a 4 team playoff that much harder for texas/oklahoma. Wont ever have to worry about gettin left out if they win the conference though.

Guess this means the playoffs are expanding. I cant see either wanting to make the move in a 4 team model moving forward. Seems it would make making a 4 team playoff that much harder for texas/oklahoma. Wont ever have to worry about gettin left out if they win the conference though.
It seems more and more likely that a 12-team playoff will be happening sooner rather than later.

Im not against it. Getting old watching the same 5-6 teams get the 4 spots every year, imo. I know thats a bit of hyperbole but not much.

Reactions: johnboiler123
Im not against it. Getting old watching the same 5-6 teams get the 4 spots every year, imo. I know thats a bit of hyperbole but not much.
Mike Leach said he wants a 64-team playoff. 😆 Yeah Mike, let's just invite half the D-1 teams to the playoffs and have the teams in the championship game play 6 post season games. They'd be playing for 11 months a year.

Mike leach just trying to find a way to get in 😂

that bastards insane. I will say at 64 we could just start the tourney week 1 😂

Or maybe week two let everyone play their rival week 1 to “tune up”. Hell we wouldnt have made a 64 team playoff 2 out of the last 3 years 😂

Doesn't make a lot of sense for them to want to join the SEC unless the SEC's trying to leave the NCAA. More crowded league where revenue is split into smaller pieces.

From a competitive standpoint, it would just knock Texas football further down the totem pole. But at least the basketball program might have a shot to win the league once in awhile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Villian07
Doesn't make a lot of sense for them to want to join the SEC unless the SEC's trying to leave the NCAA. More crowded league where revenue is split into smaller pieces.

From a competitive standpoint, it would knock Texas football even further down the totem pole. But at least the basketball program might have a shot to win the league once in awhile.

SEC money is going to dwarf Big 12 money. Otherwise we wouldn’t even be talking about this.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Kinda thought texas printed their own money. Guess no such thing as too much though.

only thing that bothers me is how teams that are historically terrible at both major sports get grandfathered in to the “super leagues” like ole miss or vandy (sans baseball). European soccer style relegation should be a thing in every sport at every level imo. Earn your way to the too or sink to the bottoms of the bottom.

inst it. Getting old watching the same 5-6 teams get the 4 spots every year, imo. I know thats a bit of hyperbole but not much.

7 years of the CFP and Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Oklahoma have combined for 20 of the 28 spots.

Reactions: Montana81
Plus Georgia, lsu, oregon, ND. Has anyone else besides those 8 Even been in it?

Yea if it happens id say the acc and big 10 and pac all scramble to add more teams as well to get to 4 16 team conf like some predicted during the first realignment.

Im not so sure Bama or Lsu would be for it, bc i mean are you gonna put one of tex/OU in the east or just scrap the east/west divisions???

What happens to the Big 12? Do they try and poach the B10 and Pac or do they just get absorbed by other conferences?

Yea if it happens id say the acc and big 10 and pac all scramble to add more teams as well to get to 4 16 team conf like some predicted during the first realignment.

Im not so sure Bama or Lsu would be for it, bc i mean are you gonna put one of tex/OU in the east or just scrap the east/west divisions???
I doubt Bama cares, LSU maybe. Might be just too much revenue to pass on. Maybe a 1st, a 4 team sec championship tourney.

How many basketball titles were texas and oklahoma winning in the big12 anyways? Texas certainly looks much more dangerous this year, though, but so does Kansas.

The football Side of things the loss is unmeasurable though imo. Pretty nuch gonna guarentee the big 12 is the conf who gets ****ed if and when everyone else (acc,pac,b1g) goes to 16

Reactions: hawkit3113
How many basketball titles were texas and oklahoma winning in the big12 anyways? Texas certainly looks much more dangerous this year, though, but so does Kansas.

The football Side of things the loss is unmeasurable though imo. Pretty nuch gonna guarentee the big 12 is the conf who gets ****ed if and when everyone else (acc,pac,b1g) goes to 16
I believe texas won 3 football titles in 26 years and 3 basketball titles in 26 years.

I believe texas won 3 football titles in 26 years and 3 basketball titles in 26 years.
Yea but they have brand power in football despite the recent lack of success.

I mean OU and Tex are by far the two most notarized football programs in the conference. Still some solid squads but wothout those two theyd drop below acc and pac imo regardless of who they add bc they arent poaxhing anyone from any other power conference imo, its been schools jumping ship from the big12 that got the whole realignment party started in the first place iirc with aggies and mizzou and nebraska and colorodo.

Reactions: toonces11
Yea but they have brand power in football despite the recent lack of success.

I mean OU and Tex are by far the two most notarized football programs in the conference. Still some solid squads but wothout those two theyd drop below acc and pac imo regardless of who they add bc they arent poaxhing anyone from any other power conference imo, its been schools jumping ship from the big12 that got the whole realignment party started in the first place iirc with aggies and mizzou and nebraska and colorodo.
Well we have the distinction of being the most god awful, fuc*ing bottom of the barrel, BS, knuckle draggin terrible football program the country has ever seen. After a decade of being the worst power 5 football team---there isnt a conference that we could have football success in right now. None of them

Well we have the distinction of being the most god awful, fuc*ing bottom of the barrel, BS, knuckle draggin terrible football program the country has ever seen. After a decade of being the worst power 5 football team---there isnt a conference that we could have football success in right now. None of them
I really thought Les Miles was gonna be good for you guys

I really thought Les Miles was gonna be good for you guys
I thought he could be here 3-5 yrs and get back what mangino had going. We can even win the gimmie games anymore. Les must have had some sort of stroke bc from day 1 he seemed like an invalid.

Maybe a 1st, a 4 team sec championship tourney.

Drop 1 game from the schedule(conference game preferably). Last week of regular season is SEC Bowl games. Top 4 teams play each other(1v4 2v3); winners play for championship. Middle 8 teams play however. Bottom 2 teams play for the trash can trophy.

I'm sure they could bring in extra revenue for the inconvenience of not knowing the last weeks game.

The odds of the Big XII collapsing are extremely high. They might try to in pull schools like Houston, UCF, Cincinnati and BYU, but not sure that will be sustainable. They might need to steal Colorado and Nebraska back if there's any shot at retaining power conference status.

Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, and possibly a few others, will want bigger revenue payouts when they see how much schools from other power conferences are making. Big 12 would be a very distant 5th place, in terms of revenue earnings per conference. Pac-12 will likely poach a few, possibly the two aforementioned schools, ACC might get West Virginia. Conference will collapse after that - and then the Big 12 leftovers and American Athletic will form a new conference.

In a couple of years we'll likely be down to four power conferences, albeit mega conferences with 14+ teams.

The odds of the Big XII collapsing are extremely high. They might try to in pull schools like Houston, UCF, Cincinnati and BYU, but not sure that will be sustainable. They might need to steal Colorado and Nebraska back if there's any shot at retaining power conference status.

Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, and possibly a few others, will want bigger revenue payouts when they see how much schools from other power conferences are making. Big 12 would be a very distant 5th place, in terms of revenue earnings per conference. Pac-12 will likely poach a few, possibly the two aforementioned schools, ACC might get West Virginia. Conference will collapse after that - and then the Big 12 leftovers and American Athletic will form a new conference.

In a couple of years we'll likely be down to four power conferences, albeit mega conferences with 14+ teams.
Hell, it might be in the next year or two. How many will each conference have after Texas and Oklahoma move?

SEC - 16
BIG - 14
ACC - 14, 15 if you include ND
PAC - 12

I could see the PAC and BIG picking up a school or two for sure. Assuming the Big 12 is shot.

Texas, Oklahoma expected to declare intent to leave Big 12 in '24-48 hours' with SEC as landing spot

Texas and Oklahoma are expected to declare their intention to leave the Big 12 in as soon as "24-48 hours," a prominent Big 12 source told CBS Sports on Friday. The Longhorns and Sooners are set to inform the Big 12 on Monday that they will not be renewing their grant of rights agreement with the conference, Horns247's Chip Brown reports.

"I'm not saying it's 100%, but it's close to it in terms of being a done deal," a Big 12 source intimately involved in the process told CBS Sports.

"It could be as soon as 24-48 hours and as long as two weeks before we have any clarity in terms of timing," said the source in reference to when Texas and Oklahoma would expect to formally join the SEC.

If the programs were to effort an SEC debut in 2022, each could owe up to $80 million to the Big 12 as a penalty for leaving before the current TV rights contract expires after the 2024-25 season. That total equals the combined revenue distribution per school of the last two years.

ADVERTISEMENT