ADVERTISEMENT

***Sweet 16 - Saturday Games Thread***

I hate Guerrier so much lol.

Ugly game, as expected. Houston has size and athleticism in the right spots. Their guards are great on D and Syracuse’s lack of any post presence on offense all year showed tonight. Really disappointed in Griffin and Guerrier really all tournament. Neither one showed up when we needed them.
Sorry for your loss. (doing my best rivals jinx)

Great shooting can make a mediocre team look good for a couple of games in the tourney. Cuse was an 11-seed for a reason. Good lord they looked awful tonight. Looking forward to watching them do it again next season.

Houston going to play 4 double digit seeds in a row.

Have any of you guys noticed how difficult the shooting has been today for almost everyone? Especially in the first half? OSU and Loyola couldn’t buy a bucket in the first half and neither shot well throughout the second half.

Baylor couldn’t shoot 3’s at all and Nova wasn’t great either.

Arkansas couldn’t make anything and finished with 1 three and 37% for the game. OR couldn’t make much in the second half.

Now Syracuse couldn’t make anything and Houston is barely 35%.

I know some is defense, but it seems like something is off.
It's the Beaver's aura of suck. I've been saying this for a while.

Defensively that isn't the best WVU team.

Huggins substituted defense for offense this year.

Even then WVU probably should have won that game. Have to give credit to Syracuse.

Houston is just as good on the offensive end and near elite on the defensive end.

That game was a mismatch.

I do think Oregon State could give them a little fight.

Great shooting can make a mediocre team look good for a couple of games in the tourney. Cuse was an 11-seed for a reason. Good lord they looked awful tonight. Looking forward to watching them do it again next season.

Houston going to play 4 double digit seeds in a row.
They're thanking the lord its not #13 seed Ohio.

This is transitive...
San Diego State actually had a better packline D that UVA

Syracuse torched San Diego State

Houston could probably beat Ohio by 25+ points

Only teams I have seen beat Houston are teams that turn the game into a track meet
Syracuse tried that at times. They just don't have the guards.

Oregon State is a possibility. They have some athletes.

Miss me with that shit.

I have played basketball long enough and been around the game to know people don't miss unless the defense forces them...

No such thing as an off shooting night.

It is an excuse. Give Villanova credit

If you played you weren’t very good and didn’t understand the game. I watched all year UNC miss uncontested 3’s meaning that this wasn’t a good shooting team. Baylor had some clean looks and couldn’t hit them so they adjusted, turned up the D, forced turnovers and converted them to easy baskets. Everyone knew how good Baylor is except you because you had your head up Shaka’s ass.

Last edited:
If you played you weren’t very good and didn’t understand the game. I watched all year UNC miss uncontested 3’s meaning that this wasn’t a good shooting team. Baylor had some clean looks and couldn’t hit them so they adjusted, turned up the D, forced turnovers and converted them to easy baskets. Everyone knew how good Baylor is except you because you had your head Shaka’s ass.

The shot selection was poor...

The difference was their guards getting to the basket.

Really helped when they put in Mayer because Mayer stretches the floor more than Vidal.

At times Vidal can clog driving lanes. I love Vidal. He is a football player playing basketball.

You can tell the first possession of the second half Baylor wanted to get into the paint.

If you want....
Watch every shot by Baylor. You will notice the difference.

First half...Too many jump shots.

Second half...Guards taking the ball to the basket

Baylor is at its best when their guards are getting the ball into the paint.

Baylor is an excellent shooting team and at times they can hit the ISO 3 like they do in the NBA.
But those aren't high percentage shots and those shots hurt them in the first half

Last edited:
If you want to dig into Baylor...

There is a possession in the second half in the beginning where Butler and Mitchell only touched the ball.

Both the bigs in the game clogged the lane.

Ugly basketball. They couldn't create anything between themselves because like I said Villanova was trying to force them to throw up those jump shots....

But for the most part once the second half started Baylor executed at a high level on the offensive end.

Like I said...
Probably want to watch the video.

There are only maybe 4-5 times you get an open three in a game.
Those shots don't come that easily.

Like I said Mayer did miss one in the second half.
Was a perfectly executed offensive set. Mayer hits that shot 75% of the time.
But it bounced off the rim...

But this idea of open three point shots is just bullshit people tell themselves...

You aren't getting many of those in a Sweet 16 game.

Going to have a hand in your face a lot of times.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

There is a possession in the second half in the beginning where Butler and Mitchell only touched the ball.

Ugly basketball. They couldn't create anything between themselves because like I said Villanova was trying to force them to throw up those jump shots....

But for the most part once the second half started Baylor executed at a high level on the offensive end.

Like I said...

But this idea of open three point shots is just bullshit people tell themselves...

I do like you're interesting takes.

Baylor is a killer as I expected. They play D up on your shirt- matter of fact as touchy Feely as they are I would have like to seen someone off the bench just foul the teddy bear stuffing out of one od em earlly in the 2nd half to give them some heeby jeebies about getting too touchy Feely.

And really with no one that you'd consider a specimen. It reminds me of some of the pick up games I played when I was younger and you had a group of 40 y/o guys that would school you
exactly, solid unit. it was funny initially the osu players were kind of looking around like “what is going on”

pretty good job to keep grinding and pull that W out

Like I said...

I don’t think anyone’s saying that Villanova had nothing to do with Baylor’s percentage. But Baylor did have plenty of quality looks on kick outs and such that would normally go in. It can be a combination you know.

The point is that Nova didn’t “crack the code” and figure out how to consistently hold the best three point shooters in the country below 20%. There was some luck involved. But there’s no luck involved in Baylor’s defensive intensity in the 2nd half. That would be there every time they played. The difference would be that they’d likely shoot significantly better next time.

You kept saying that Nova would give them fits because they were “dialed in” for this tourney. I said that if Baylor was dialed in, it wouldn’t matter. Baylor was dialed in after the first half and they won the 2nd half by 18. Sorry...not a coin flip.

Humble yourself.

Compared to the other games yesterday it was

You have 4 games...Baylor was the toughest

The game that was more like a coin flip

Houston could have very easily won by 25.
Won by 14.
80%+ of the game they covered.

Baylor covered maybe 15% of that game

Compared to the other games yesterday it was

You have 4 games...Baylor was the toughest

The game that was more like a coin flip

Houston could have very easily won by 25.
Won by 14.
80%+ of the game they covered.

Baylor covered maybe 15% of that game
If Louisville sucked it would be easier to root for them.

If Louisville sucked it would be easier to root for them.

I don't get the crowing....
When I said plain and clearly I wouldn't touch the game.

If people want to believe that was an easy Baylor cover they have that right.

I don't see it that way.

Going to make this reference again.

Like someone betting on a coin flip and telling people it would be tails.
When he ends up winning telling everyone how wrong they were...

IMO they are wrong regardless of outcome

I don't get the crowing....
When I said plain and clearly I wouldn't touch the game.

If people want to believe that was an easy Baylor cover they have that right.

I don't see it that way.

Going to make this reference again.

Like someone betting on a coin flip and telling people it would be tails.
When he ends up winning telling everyone how wrong they were...

IMO they are wrong regardless of outcome

You won’t even acknowledge that “coin flip” is your opinion. You seem to think that Nova grabbing a lead and being in the game for awhile backed up your take. The other side can argue that Baylor covering easily on an off night backed up theirs. If that game were played again in two days, I’d bet Baylor. The only thing that allowed Nova to stay in the game was that Baylor didn’t match their intensity in the first 20 minutes. They came out of halftime with a different mindset and took over. They could’ve taken control whenever they needed to.

In the other thread, you called out the “idiots” who picked Winthrop over Nova. So what makes them idiots? The result of the game? But then...doesn’t that make you an idiot in this scenario? Maybe that game was a “coin flip” too? Winthrop was within 5 pts until the last 7 min, similar to this one.

You should try to be a little more consistent with your narratives.

You won’t even acknowledge that “coin flip” is your opinion. You seem to think that Nova grabbing a lead and being in the game for awhile backed up your take. The other side can argue that Baylor covering easily on an off night backed up theirs. If that game were played again in two days, I’d bet Baylor. The only thing that allowed Nova to stay in the game was that Baylor didn’t match their intensity in the first 20 minutes. They came out of halftime with a different mindset and took over. They could’ve taken control whenever they needed to.

In the other thread, you called out the “idiots” who picked Winthrop over Nova. So what makes them idiots? The result of the game? But then...doesn’t that make you an idiot in this scenario? Maybe that game was a “coin flip” too? Winthrop was within 5 pts until the last 7 min, similar to this one.

You should try to be a little more consistent with your narratives.

Once again...

Those other 3 games were better games to put money on.

Oral Roberts and Arkansas already played before
Oregon State were given points as the better team
Syracuse didn't belong on the same floor as Houston

Villanova is just a difficult program to bet against.
If you don't believe this...you are well within your right. IMO Villanova were going to play up to Baylor.

You can claim whatever you want in regards to why Villanova came out punching and why some of them landed.

But for the most part it is and always will be difficult to bet against a disrespected championship program.
Especially with one that hasn't proven it yet

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT