ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Trivia

Okay, here's what I'm thinking...

1992- Duke
1995- UCLA
1996- Kentucky
2007- Florida
2013- Louisville (are you counting them?)
2018- Villanova

I don't think Michigan State was preseason #1. I also seem to remember 1990 UNLV and 2004 UCONN though. That would make six teams so maybe one of them is wrong.

You're more of a basketball nerd than you let on. Respect.

Reactions: jhmossy
Wow. I'm losing it, guys.

So, part of me thinks UMass may have been #1 in 96. Maybe Ohio State in 07. Oh, yeah, forgot about UVA in 2018. Seemed like Kentucky, Florida, and Nova were the consensus favorites heading into the tournament.

2001- Duke
2009- North Carolina
2012- Kentucky

I'll take a break if this isn't right.

Here's a question you've probably never heard before. Heck, you could even try googling this and I don't think you'll find the answer...

What's the only school to lose to the national champion in the first round of the tournament in back-to-back years?

Just to help narrow the down the possibilities, it didn't occur in the first 40 years of the tournament.

Here's a question you've probably never heard before. Heck, you could even try googling this and I don't think you'll find the answer...

What's the only school to lose to the national champion in the first round of the tournament in back-to-back years?

Just to help narrow the down the possibilities, it didn't occur in the first 40 years of the tournament.

That's a ridiculously hard question lol. I wouldn't even know where to start on that one. Best guess is a 16-seed. I'll go with Texas Southern.

I'm thinking that back in the day they used to pay a lot more attention to geography when seeding teams so maybe during the UCAA dynasty they played the same crappy team two years in a row out west?

But the counter to that is would the NCAA ever have a team play another team 2 years in a row in the opening round? Seems unlikely.

That's a ridiculously hard question lol. I wouldn't even know where to start on that one. Best guess is a 16-seed. I'll go with Texas Southern.

Don't worry, it's not a bottom feeder. It's a well known program. They often get in the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team.

I'm thinking that back in the day they used to pay a lot more attention to geography when seeding teams so maybe during the UCAA dynasty they played the same crappy team two years in a row out west?

But the counter to that is would the NCAA ever have a team play another team 2 years in a row in the opening round? Seems unlikely.

I mentioned it didn't take place in the first 40 years of the tournament, so it's not UCLA. I will concede that UCLA did, in fact, play New Mexico State in 68 and 69 for their first game. However, they received a first round bye both times.

Don't worry, it's not a bottom feeder. It's a well known program. They often get in the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team.
Hmmm. Trying to think of a couple of seasons in a row that had champions that were 3 seeds or lower but I can’t think of any. You say they get in often as an at large team? I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Gonzaga back in the 80’s and 90’s when they would’ve been more likely to be a 14 or 15 seed.

I don't want this to be a complete guessing game... So, here are a few more hints.

-It happened during the 1980's
-This school is in a power 6 conference
-A regular poster in this thread roots for one of the schools that knocked this team out in the first round - and went on to win a national title.

I don't want this to be a complete guessing game... So, here are a few more hints.

-It happened during the 1980's
-This school is in a power 6 conference
-A regular poster in this thread roots for one of the schools that knocked this team out in the first round - and went on to win a national title.

shit, who did Indiana beat in the first round in 87? This shows you how bad my memory has gotten. I was a diehard Indiana fan in 87, they were my first favorite team (besides DePaul).

shit, who did Indiana beat in the first round in 87? This shows you how bad my memory has gotten. I was a diehard Indiana fan in 87, they were my first favorite team (besides DePaul).

Indiana was a 1 seed in 87. This school has never been a 16 seed.

This school actually advanced to the Sweet 16 four times in the past decade (2010-2019). So, a pretty solid program, actually.

Not trolling, just curious. How many favorite teams have you had?

Not trolling, just curious. How many favorite teams have you had?

Started with DePaul from birth. Fell in love with Indiana after reading Season on the Brink. Stuck with them till the late 90s and then started to lose interest. Became a big Duke fan in the mid 80s cause of the Coach K Chicago and Bobby Knight connection. Was a big Duke fan till they lost to UCONN and I felt like Coach K's ego cost them the game. Stopped liking and eventually switched to hating Duke.

Became a LSU fan after attending the opening weekend of the tourney at the Rosemont Horizon in 1987 as an impressionable 16 year old. Randomly sat with the LSU fans for the first game and had such a good time i stuck with them the whole weekend as they had an amazing 2 game run of upsets to advance to the sweet 16.

I've stuck with LSU and obviously DePaul for long haul. Was done with Indiana and Duke by the early 2000s

So four teams total, but only 2 for the past 20 years or so.

EDIT: I should also mention that every other year or so I usually fall in basketball love with some freshman and become a diehard fan of that team for the year. first there was Lonzo and UCLA. Then it was Trae and Oklahoma. Also was a big Villanova fan cause Jalen Brunson is from the next town over and went to my wife's high school.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
^ That's one more hint right there. That should zero in on when it happened.

Here's one last clue. They've played in three regional finals this century, but never in the Final Four.

^ That's one more hint right there. That should zero in on when it happened.

Here's one last clue. They've played in three regional finals this century, but never in the Final Four.

Obviously it's Wichita State based on the comments in the above two posts. "shocked" being the key clue.

EDIT: nevermind, Wichita isn't in a P6 conference so can't be them.

I know the answer to @dukedevilz question so I'm asking the next trivia question. I don't care if I'm following the rules or not.

Name the only school to lose in five consecutive tournament appearances against a team seeded at least 5 spots lower than them

I know the answer to @dukedevilz question so I'm asking the next trivia question. I don't care if I'm following the rules or not.

Name the only school to lose in five consecutive tournament appearances against a team seeded at least 5 spots lower than them
I clicked your spoiler so I know the answer to his question to.

Is DePaul the answer to yours?

You anarchist, go to Seattle.

Alright, sounds like everyone gave up. The answer is Xavier. They lost in the first round to Kansas in 1988, and to Michigan in 1989.

You anarchist, go to Seattle.

Alright, sounds like everyone gave up. The answer is Xavier. They lost in the first round to Kansas in 1988, and to Michigan in 1989.

You won. Now, answer my question

I'm going to say Cincinnati. They must have lost in the 2nd round for like 19 consecutive years with Huggins, often as a relatively high seed.

How about Georgetown? I remember them losing to Davidson in '08, to Ohio in '10, and to Florida Gulf Coast in '13. I'm spacing out on a few of the years in between. You said consecutive tournament appearances, so maybe they missed the tournament one of those years.

How about Georgetown? I remember them losing to Davidson in '08, to Ohio in '10, and to Florida Gulf Coast in '13. I'm spacing out on a few of the years in between. You said consecutive tournament appearances, so maybe they missed the tournament one of those years.

You're too good. That's correct. You're up again.

2008 (Round of 32): No. 10 Davidson 74, No. 2 Georgetown 70.
2010 (Round of 64): No. 14 Ohio 97, No. 3 Georgetown 83.
2011 (Round of 64): No. 11 VCU 74, No. 6 Georgetown 56.
2012 (Round of 32): No. 11 NC State 66, No. 3 Georgetown 63.
2013 (Round of 64): No. 15 Florida Gulf Coast 78, No. 2 Georgetown 68.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Who has been to the most regional finals without ever advancing to the Final Four?

Tennessee's only regional final was in 2010. Can you believe they fired Bruce Pearl? The guy who took them to uncharted territory. Unthinkable!

There have been 8 title games since 1979 where it involved two #1 seeds.

Name those teams and those years.

Trivia rules apply.

There have been 8 title games since 1979 where it involved two #1 seeds.

Name those teams and those years.

Trivia rules apply.

I feel good about these 5. I can't remember any others since 2000. Anything before 2000 I'm pretty hazy on. I'm not going to guess to avoid negative points.

2017 - UNC vs. Gonzaga
2015 - Duke vs. Wisconsin
2008 - Kansas vs. Memphis
2007 - Florida vs. Ohio State
2005 - UNC vs. Illinois

I feel good about these 5. I can't remember any others since 2000. Anything before 2000 I'm pretty hazy on. I'm not going to guess to avoid negative points.

2017 - UNC vs. Gonzaga
2015 - Duke vs. Wisconsin
2008 - Kansas vs. Memphis
2007 - Florida vs. Ohio State
2005 - UNC vs. Illinois
Those are all correct so you're up.

1999 - Duke vs. UConn
1993 - North Carolina vs. Michigan
1982 - North Carolina vs. Georgetown

ADVERTISEMENT