ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Trivia

I've been away from this thread for a while. Been doing housework, running errands, and spending time with the fam.

Alphonso Ford? Idk. Might be time for another question. I think you probably stumped us on this one.
He was close. Averaged 29.0 pets per game for his career

He’s in the nba hall of fame and has been in the NCAA hall of fame twice

Here are our clues fellas..

-He's in the Naismith HOF
-He's in the NCAA HOF twice (player and coach?)
-he played after Calvin Murphy so later than 1970
-he's an obscure player (odd clue since he's in several HOFs)

Being in the college HOF twice and also playing later than 1970 makes this confusing. Is he in the NCAA HOF as a player and a coach? So that means that since 1970 he's managed to have a HOF playing career and coaching career?

All in all keeping in mind he's an obscure HOF player who averaged over 30 ppg in college.

Dave Cowens immediately jumped to my mind, but I doubt he was anywhere close to 30ppg in college.

But he ticks a lot of other boxes in terms of the clues

Here are our clues fellas..

-He's in the Naismith HOF
-He's in the NCAA HOF twice (player and coach?)
-he played after Calvin Murphy so later than 1970
-he's an obscure player (odd clue since he's in several HOFs)
He’s not an obscure player. That was a joke. He’s in twice as a player

Being in the college HOF twice and also playing later than 1970 makes this confusing. Is he in the NCAA HOF as a player and a coach? So that means that since 1970 he's managed to have a HOF playing career and coaching career?

All in all keeping in mind he's an obscure HOF player who averaged over 30 ppg in college.
He finished playing in the NCAA in 1979.

Last edited:
Sorry I threw you guys off with the obscure comment. That was meant for Borden after he looked it up and couldn’t believe he was the last.

the answer is Larry bird. He averaged 30.3 pts/game from 1976-1979. He never led the league in scoring as Marshall Rodgers led in 76, freeman Williams led in 77 and 78 and Lawrence butler lead in 79. He’s in the nba hall of fame, and twice in the NCAA...once as a player and once as a member of the dream team.

Sorry I threw you guys off with the obscure comment. That was meant for Borden after he looked it up and couldn’t believe he was the last.

the answer is Larry bird. He averaged 30.3 pts/game from 1976-1979. He never led the league in scoring as Marshall Rodgers led in 76, freeman Williams led in 77 and 78 and Lawrence butler lead in 79. He’s in the nba hall of fame, and twice in the NCAA...once as a player and once as a member of the dream team.

He's in the NCAA HOF for the Dream Team?

Ok here’s an easier one

which NCAA coach has the highest winning percentage (minimum 500 games coached)?

Name the last school to go undefeated and miss the NCAA tournament

Interesting question. Didn't even know that was a thing. I imagine it's gotta be a team on probation, but can't think of any possible team that could be.

Interesting question. Didn't even know that was a thing. I imagine it's gotta be a team on probation, but can't think of any possible team that could be.

I will say that the team was ineligible for the NCAA tournament but not all postseason play. They did play in the NIT.

Kentucky

Don’t know the exact year. Maybe 1953?

Kentucky did go undefeated in 1954 and declined the invite. But they are not the most recent. In fact, two schools have gone undefeated and missed NCAA tourney since.

NC State seems to easy...But that is my answer...

I cannot recall who the team was, but they went unbeaten, but due to a shitty schedule, was not invited...Gonna drive nuts trying to remember..

Reactions: jhmossy
You are correct. You can guess if you want to come up with your own question
Naaah, i will let someone else. What is nuts is I was reading about IU basketball history the other day---And came across this tidbit. It was funny when I saw this question---But I couldn't think of the teams name..So in a sense, I cheated, as I went back and looked(in the book). I amsure I would have eventually recalled it...But,i will pass on the answer...

Naaah, i will let someone else. What is nuts is I was reading about IU basketball history the other day---And came across this tidbit. It was funny when I saw this question---But I couldn't think of the teams name..So in a sense, I cheated, as I went back and looked(in the book). I amsure I would have eventually recalled it...But,i will pass on the answer...

it’s a pretty tough question so we’ll see how long it takes the rest

it’s a pretty tough questions so we’ll see how long it takes the rest
It is....Only reason it even rang a bell,well,was b/c of who they lost to...As soon as I said NCSU, I was like, wait that was 1973......Oh, well. I'm gonna hush. Probably given away to much info. THough I am sure there's an IU dude who will get it..

Maryland 1973? I know they tied with NC State for ACC title and didn't get to go. Were they undefeated?

Nope. I'll give you a hint that it was the 1979 NCAA tournament
Borden gave it away as did this clue, however i had to look it up, not a lot of SWAC friends on this board so probably will stump everyone who doesn't look it up

Borden gave it away as did this clue, however i had to look it up, not a lot of SWAC friends on this board so probably will stump everyone who doesn't look it up

I’ve never even heard of some of the players listed as trivia answers in this thread before lol. But yes, the answer is Alcorn State. Either you or @IUfanBorden are up

Reactions: JayhawkWriter
It is....Only reason it even rang a bell,well,was b/c of who they lost to...As soon as I said NCSU, I was like, wait that was 1973......Oh, well. I'm gonna hush. Probably given away to much info. THough I am sure there's an IU dude who will get it..
You’re up sir

What coach declined an NCAA bid to play in the NIT----leading to the NCAA requiring you to accept a bid, if offered(NCAA).

I actually think it was the coach at St. John’s. He wanted to play a couple more games in front of his home fans and potentially play in the garden. I could be wrong though

Reactions: IUfanBorden
ADVERTISEMENT