ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Trivia

Name the first school to have glass backboards.....

I don't know the answer, but it wasn't Indiana. Indiana was claiming they were the first in 1917, but they have stopped since they realized Purdue was using glass backboards before them. Purdue had been using them since at least the 1909-10 season.

The University of Chicago had them at least as early as the 1908-09 season.

James Naismith had glass backboards installed at Kansas in its new Robinson Gymnasium in 1907. The rules did not allow for them at the time and if any visiting team refused to play with them KU would take them down and put up wooden backboards. The use of them at KU and other schools led to their legalization for the 1909-10 season. The rule book for that season stated, "The background may now be made of plate glass, if desired. This background is already being used in several places where conditions make its use desirable."

Kansas is the earliest user I have found.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I don't know the answer, but it wasn't Indiana. Indiana was claiming they were the first in 1917, but they have stopped since they realized Purdue was using glass backboards before them. Purdue had been using them since at least the 1909-10 season.

The University of Chicago had them at least as early as the 1908-09 season.

James Naismith had glass backboards installed at Kansas in its new Robinson Gymnasium in 1907. The rules did not allow for them at the time and if any visiting team refused to play with them KU would take them down and put up wooden backboards. The use of them at KU and other schools led to their legalization for the 1909-10 season. The rule book for that season stated, "The background may now be made of plate glass, if desired. This background is already being used in several places where conditions make its use desirable."

Kansas is the earliest user I have found.
Kansas and Chicago were close. Purdue was the first. I should have used the phrase, "in a game".

Way to give 11 answers though..Laughing

Kansas and Chicago were close. Purdue was the first. I should have used the phrase, "in a game".

Way to give 11 answers though..Laughing
Purdue first used glass backboards in the 1909-10 season. Kansas and Chicago were using them in games before that and per the Rules book "several places" were already using them.

Purdue first used glass backboards in the 1909-10 season. Kansas and Chicago were using them in games before that and per the Rules book "several places" were already using them.

Good information. I had no idea that glass backboards had been around for that long.

The floor is now yours to ask the next trivia question.

Cameron Indoor Stadium is pretty old... But, I think some of those northeastern schools got us beat.

I'll say Penn.

It makes sense that Duke has more wins than Penn, as we're probably averaging 3-5 more home wins per year. Idk. Minnesota? The barn looks like it's been around for a while.

Washington.....one of the oldest arena's in CBB. I think the oldest is Northeastern?

My guess is Washington.

Yes, Washington with 1,015 wins.

1,015 - Washington - Hec Edmundson Pavilion, opened in 1927
907 - Duke - Cameron Indoor Stadium, 1940
842 - Penn - The Palestra, 1927
831 - Minnesota - Williams Arena, 1928
818 - Oklahoma State - Gallagher-Iba Arena, 1938
812 - Vanderbilt - Memorial Gym, 1952
803 - Kansas - Allen Fieldhouse, 1955
757 - New Mexico - The Pit, 1966
751 - UCLA - Pauley Pavillion, 1965
729 - Wichita State - Koch Arena, 1955
724 - Montana - Dahlberg Arena, 1953

I just looked up Northeastern's arena, it opened in 1910 but for most of its history it was not used for basketball, mainly hockey.

I'm surprised Butler is not high on the list since Hinkle opened in 1928, but the number I can find for them is right around 700 wins.

Who was the first freshman to be named first team AP All-American?

What caused the NCAA to cancel the 3rd place game; normally played before the title game.

Laughing.

Ummm, funny as shit. But no.

I was kinda kidding but in all actually it was a combination of things:
1. Lack of viewership for the game (TV ratings were much lower for the third place game than for the championship game).
2. NCAA didn't want to diminish the championship game by making people sit through a meaningless game.
3. Schools didn't want to pay for an extra 2 days of staying in the host city to play in a game that had no outcome (teams host final four banners, not 3rd place banners).
4. Belief that the game was not up to par with the championship game as the players would not play as hard.
5. there was belief that having your season end with 2 losses would deter from the fact that you made it to the final four.
6. With the expanding of the field from 32-48 teams the third place game was deemed unnecessary.

I was kinda kidding but in all actually it was a combination of things:
1. Lack of viewership for the game (TV ratings were much lower for the third place game than for the championship game).
2. NCAA didn't want to diminish the championship game by making people sit through a meaningless game.
3. Schools didn't want to pay for an extra 2 days of staying in the host city to play in a game that had no outcome (teams host final four banners, not 3rd place banners).
4. Belief that the game was not up to par with the championship game as the players would not play as hard.
5. there was belief that having your season end with 2 losses would deter from the fact that you made it to the final four.
6. With the expanding of the field from 32-48 teams the third place game was deemed unnecessary.
None of the above..

What's the answer? Been sitting on this one for a while. I've had thoughts about this, JayhawkWriter touched on a few, but I was doubtful any were right.

I only have two semi-reasonable guesses...

1. Players may have felt like it was a meaningless game that didn't really matter. Consolation games often lack the intensity and focus of a normal single elimination game. The 3rd place game in the World Cup just feels like a glorified exhibition game.

2. The consolation games ended before I was born. Not exactly sure how the format was - I can only assume the games were back-to-back. If the 3rd place game was set for 6:00 and the title game for 8:30, for example, I think it could be very frustrating for fans, sponsors, and players if the previous game drags on forever... and instead of an 8:30 tip time, you suddenly have a 9:30 or 10 pm tip. So maybe part of the reason for getting rid of the 3rd place game was to ensure a concrete time for the start of the title game?

What's the answer? Been sitting on this one for a while. I've had thoughts about this, JayhawkWriter touched on a few, but I was doubtful any were right.

I only have two semi-reasonable guesses...

1. Players may have felt like it was a meaningless game that didn't really matter. Consolation games often lack the intensity and focus of a normal single elimination game. The 3rd place game in the World Cup just feels like a glorified exhibition game.

2. The consolation games ended before I was born. Not exactly sure how the format was - I can only assume the games were back-to-back. If the 3rd place game was set for 6:00 and the title game for 8:30, for example, I think it could be very frustrating for fans, sponsors, and players if the previous game drags on forever... and instead of an 8:30 tip time, you suddenly have a 9:30 or 10 pm tip. So maybe part of the reason for getting rid of the 3rd place game was to ensure a concrete time for the start of the title game?
Shooting of Ronald Reagan. They almost cancelled both games. But once it was seen Reagan would be ok, they decided to play the title game. But cancelled the 3rd place game. This was 1981.

Shooting of Ronald Reagan. They almost cancelled both games. But once it was seen Reagan would be ok, they decided to play the title game. But cancelled the 3rd place game. This was 1981.

I don't know what your source is but the game that year wasn't cancelled because of the Reagan assassination attempt. Virginia beat LSU in the last ever third-place game in 1981.

''We eliminated the third-place game as a result of a strong push from the National Association of Basketball Coaches,'' says Dave Gavitt, the athletic director at Providence College and chairman of the N.C.A.A. tournament committee. ''The coaches have been pushing for three or four years to eliminate the third-place game. They said that there was really nothing to be gained and that the kids did not want to play it. After hearing how the coaches felt, we voted unanimously last summer to do away with the consolation game.'' New York Times, April 12, 1982

I don't know what your source is but the game that year wasn't cancelled because of the Reagan assassination attempt. Virginia beat LSU in the last ever third-place game in 1981.

''We eliminated the third-place game as a result of a strong push from the National Association of Basketball Coaches,'' says Dave Gavitt, the athletic director at Providence College and chairman of the N.C.A.A. tournament committee. ''The coaches have been pushing for three or four years to eliminate the third-place game. They said that there was really nothing to be gained and that the kids did not want to play it. After hearing how the coaches felt, we voted unanimously last summer to do away with the consolation game.'' New York Times, April 12, 1982
Read it sonewhere...Or so I thought. I do know the Reagan assassination had a role. Apprently, not the role I thiought.

Your question Detective.

NCAA tournament question...which state has hosted the most national championship games?

Name the 16 schools who have been a 1 seed only one time since seeding began in 1979.

The poster with the most correct answers wins but for every wrong answer submitted I will subtract one from your overall correct answer total.

Hint - The official record books will include Michigan and Memphis due to vacated appearances but I'm not counting them as correct answers.

I'm gonna see how much of a negative score I can accumulate with this one.

Wisconsin
Georgia
NC State
Wake Forest

Those are my initial guesses.

I think most of these are accurate...

Indiana State, 1979
Houston, 1983
Temple, 1988
Missouri, 1994
Wake Forest, 1995
Purdue, 1996