ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Trivia

You are correct. Syracuse lost to 15th seeded Richmond in 1991.

How many times has the NCAA champion won every tourney game by 10+ points? Bonus points if you can name the schools to accomplish this feat.

These are the only ones I know of off the top of my head...

Duke - 2001
UNC - 2009
Villanova - 2018

Gotta think UCLA and a few others have accomplished it. I'll say 7 times.

Reactions: jhmossy
It probably goes without saying, but this player would have to had played in two Final Fours. And there have been quite a few schools that fit that criteria over the past 20 years:

Michigan State
Maryland
Kansas
Duke
Florida
UCLA
North Carolina
UConn
Butler
Kentucky
Louisville
Syracuse
Wisconsin
Villanova
Guess that it is Darren Collison with 18 games? I know the answer is probably in the thread, but I wanted to play.

Guess that it is Darren Collison with 18 games? I know the answer is probably in the thread, but I wanted to play.

Collison is tied for 2nd with 9 others. It wasn't games played, but rather games won. Collison went 14-4. This player went 15-3 during his career.

These are the only ones I know of off the top of my head...

Duke - 2001
UNC - 2009
Villanova - 2018

Gotta think UCLA and a few others have accomplished it. I'll say 7 times.

More than that

My question is too nuanced. To answer the question. 10 schools have done it but it's happened 13 times in total.

However, which team is the most recent to do it that hasn't been mentioned yet (the ones mentioned are 81 IU, 01 Duke, 09 UNC, 18 Nova)?

My question is too nuanced. To answer the question. 10 schools have done it but it's happened 13 times in total.

However, which team is the most recent to do it that hasn't been mentioned yet (81 IU, 01 Duke, 09 UNC, 18 Nova)?
I thought Villanova was said? They dismantled folks in 2018.

However, which team is the most recent to do it that hasn't been mentioned yet (the ones mentioned are 81 IU, 01 Duke, 09 UNC, 18 Nova)?
Nevermond---Misread the question....

Two guesses----Either Maryland in 2002----Or MSU in 2000? I know its one of them.

Who was the first player to play for an NIT champion, and an NCAA runner-up team....in the same year?

HInt: His brother was a coach, and they are the other brothers to day to both be in the Naismith HOF...

Who was the first player to play for an NIT champion, and an NCAA runner-up team....in the same year?

HInt: His brother was a coach, and they are the other brothers to day to both be in the Naismith HOF...

Not sure I fully understand the question. You're looking for a specific player? To me, it sounds like anyone from that particular school could qualify... if this happened in the same year.

MSU in 2000 is correct. MD in 2002 did not accomplish that feat. Beat UCONN by 8 in Elite 8 and KU by 9 in Final Four. You're up!

MSU shouldn't have beaten Iowa State by double-digits, though. I think Larry Eustachy got like 17 technicals in the final 30 seconds. Dude was crazy.

Not sure I fully understand the question. You're looking for a specific player? To me, it sounds like anyone from that particular school could qualify... if this happened in the same year.
Yes, a player. Think about this...This guy played for an NIT title team....then for an NCAA runner-up team, in the same year.

Think,bro....Winking

To my knowledge, this has only happened once....

MSU shouldn't have beaten Iowa State by double-digits, though. I think Larry Eustachy got like 17 technicals in the final 30 seconds. Dude was crazy.
He said things like] 'You're pretty good-looking'," she said. "It wasn't that bad until we got in front of a whole bunch of people."

She said Eustachy also said he thought she should be going to Kansas because, "the girls are much hotter there."

This was something we were all so proud of when it became a story. Guys printed this quote out and hung it up in their houses. I never realized how creepy it looked until now. Like a 40 year old wasted rich guy showing up at college parties. What a weirdo. LOL

Reactions: dukedevilz
If it was only one player, and not an entire team, this would have to be someone that transferred. Just seems strange that you could transfer out and be eligible at a new school within a couple of weeks.

The other possibility, is someone that played in the NCAAT, and grade transferred to a school that won the NIT Season Tip-Off. That's a recent thing, so the Naismith HOF wouldn't be at play here. Can't think of anyone right now, to be honest.

Also, trying to decipher the hint a little bit, "they are the other brothers to day to both be in the Naismith HOF." Does that mean that this player, and his brother, are on pace to be in the HOF? Or they have a brother that's in there already? You might need to re-word that one.

Honestly, can't think of that many great sibling duos that are even close to sniffing the HOF...

Harvey & Horace Grant
Dick & Tom Van Arsdale
Gerald & Dominique Wilkins

If it was only one player, and not an entire team, this would have to be someone that transferred. Just seems strange that you could transfer out and be eligible at a new school within a couple of weeks.

The other possibility, is someone that played in the NCAAT, and grade transferred to a school that won the NIT Season Tip-Off. That's a recent thing, so the Naismith HOF wouldn't be at play here. Can't think of anyone right now, to be honest.

Also, trying to decipher the hint a little bit, "they are the other brothers to day to both be in the Naismith HOF." Does that mean that this player, and his brother, are on pace to be in the HOF? Or they have a brother that's in there already? You might need to re-word that one.

Honestly, can't think of that many great sibling duos that are even close to sniffing the HOF...

Harvey & Horace Grant
Dick & Tom Van Arsdale
Gerald & Dominique Wilkins
I worded the HOF thing wrong. The player and his brother are both in the HOF. You are really close on the "trsnsfer". Very warm. No, it's not the preseason NIT. It was the NIT; that should put you in the right time frame.

I worded the HOF thing wrong. The player and his brother are both in the HOF. You are really close on the "trsnsfer". Very warm. No, it's not the preseason NIT. It was the NIT; that should put you in the right time frame.

Most likely in the 40's.

Unfortunately, I can only name a handful of players from the 40's... Ralph Beard, Alex Groza, George Mikan, Paul Arizin, Dolph Schayes, Bob Cousy, Bob Kurland. Pretty sure it isn't any of those guys.

I could see it being someone from Dartmouth, though. They were in the finals twice in the 40's... and leaving behind the academic rigors of an Ivy League school seems understandable for someone who is very serious about a basketball career.

Most likely in the 40's.

Unfortunately, I can only name a handful of players from the 40's... Ralph Beard, Alex Groza, George Mikan, Paul Arizin, Dolph Schayes, Bob Cousy, Bob Kurland. Pretty sure it isn't any of those guys.

I could see it being someone from Dartmouth, though. They were in the finals twice in the 40's... and leaving behind the academic rigors of an Ivy League school seems understandable for someone who is very serious about a basketball career.
You got the school right...One of them [Dartmouth]. You want the answer, or ya wanna keep trying? Dartmouth is one of the schools.. Remember, this guys brother is in the HOF. Won a title in the 70's. Them some good hints brother..

Dick Mcguire

the brother is al mcguire
That would be correct....

McGuire played for St.John to start the season...But was drafted into the service, and was stationed at Dartmouth, in mid-season. He finished the year for Dartmouth---who would lose to Utah in the NCAA finals. St. John of course, won the NIT.

Of course,you knew that, right?Winking

Your question, brother.

Reactions: JayhawkWriter
Most likely in the 40's.

Nice job, Devilz...Good breakdowns. No doubt you would've gotten it.

Ok: in honor of Michael Jordan and the last dance

while Michael Jordan was a Chicago bull only three players scored 40 more in a game. One was Jordan, the other was Pippen....who was the third?

Last edited:
That would be correct....

McGuire played for St.John to start the season...But was drafted into the service, and was stationed at Dartmouth, in mid-season. He finished the year for Dartmouth---who would lose to Utah in the NCAA finals. St. John of course, won the NIT.

Of course,you knew that, right?Winking

Your question, brother.
The brother comment finally clued it for me. I remembered that dick and al were the only brothers in the Naismith hall of fame. Figured it wasn’t al when you said the brother won the championship so it had to be dick.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Ok: in honor of Michael Jordan and the last dance

while Michael Jordan was a Chicago bull only three players scored 40 more in a game. One was Jordan, the other was Pippen....who was the third?

My 3 guesses are BJ Armstrong, Orlando Woolridge and sleeper pick George Gervin.

Reactions: JayhawkWriter
The brother comment finally clued it for me. I remembered that dick and al were the only brothers in the Naismith hall of fame. Figured it wasn’t al when you said the brother won the championship so it had to be dick.
Yeah I figured if someone knew that they were the only two brothers in the HOF.

The 93-94 Michigan Wolverines had 3 future first round picks. Juwan Howard and Jalen Rose were two. Who was the other player on the '94 Michigan team that became a first round NBA pick?

The 93-94 Michigan Wolverines had 3 future first round picks. Juwan Howard and Jalen Rose were two. Who was the other player on the '94 Michigan team that became a first round NBA pick?
I want to say jimmy king....but I think he was a second round pick. Was that Muslim kid on that team? Fuqwad or something like that.

I know.....I know....I know....:D

But I don't wanna tell.....:D

OSJ

You were on the right track.

Olivier Saint-Jean is correct (aka Tariq Abdul-Wahad). He later transferred to San Jose State.
Yeah, I remember for a few reasons----Being the first France born player in the NBA...Butmore notably, playing for an awful San Jose team, that made the NCAAT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT