ADVERTISEMENT

So, yeah....Memphis is doing Memphis stuff again.

Like we can talk. ZFG though, BP isn’t doing anything everyone else isn’t doing. We prob just got outbid

Reactions: AUnit
Like we can talk. ZFG though, BP isn’t doing anything everyone else isn’t doing. We prob just got outbid

We absolutely got out bid. Tucker to Auburn was a done deal a week ago and that really sucks. Auburn needed him in a bad way. BP is recruiting well and has landed some nice classes. But Bruce has gotten Auburn to where it is because he was correct in his evaluations of lesser known players like Bryce Brown, Anfernee McLemor, Malik Dunbar, and Desean Murray. Auburn under Bruce hasn't landed a class as strong on paper as the 2019 Memphis class. But if everything goes as planned the 2020 AU class will be insane......there will be posts like this one about AU when it does.

They are recruiting better than Cal ever did there. At least Cal was a coach in a final four prior and NBA coach... Penny is outbidding people as a 2nd year head coach.

Cousin, Wall, and Henry all committed to Memphis before Cal took the UK job.

Going to be interesting to see if Penny can coach em up! I think he will judging from the his AAU teams and his first year, took a team who didn’t have much talent to the post season - very big accomplishment. But you don’t have to be a great X’s And O’s guy in college as long as you have talent, just ask Cal

Cousin, Wall, and Henry all committed to Memphis before Cal took the UK job.

Wall wasnt committed anywhere until May.. when he chose UK.

I dont think Cousins was committed either. I think he had a date set and was going to choose memphis though then Cal took the UK job and Cousins committed to us instead.

Memphis gets Achiuwa, Ellis, Wiseman , Tucker....... that's better than Henry, Cousins, and Dodson.

Wall wasnt committed anywhere until May.. when he chose UK.

I dont think Cousins was committed either. I think he had a date set and was going to choose memphis though then Cal took the UK job and Cousins committed to us instead.

Memphis gets Achiuwa, Ellis, Wiseman , Tucker....... that's better than Henry, Cousins, and Dodson.

Wall was going where ever Cal was at.

Wall was going where ever Cal was at.

We dont know what would of happened......... lets say donovan chose UK instead.... Wall might of come to UK with Donovan... we'll never know except for the fact Wall was never officially part of Memphis' class.

Going to be interesting to see if Penny can coach em up! I think he will judging from the his AAU teams and his first year, took a team who didn’t have much talent to the post season - very big accomplishment. But you don’t have to be a great X’s And O’s guy in college as long as you have talent, just ask Cal
Sure. Cal just rolls the ball out and says play ball.

This thread is lame. It is entirely possible Penny is paying players at Memphis, but it is also entirely possible that they are enamored with a "young" coach who played in the NBA and who is more famous than 99% of CBB coaches.

I'll need more than baseless innuendo before I assume he is cheating.

Last edited:
This thread is lame. It is entirely possible Penny is paying players at Memphis, but it is also entirely possible that they are enamored with a "young" coach who played in the NBA who is more famous than 99% of CBB coaches.

I doubt he is paying players this early in his career and with all the FBI trials, etc.

Reactions: Global Havok
This thread is lame. It is entirely possible Penny is paying players at Memphis, but it is also entirely possible that they are enamored with a "young" coach who played in the NBA and who is more famous than 99% of CBB coaches.

And he has another NBA player on his staff too

Reactions: Montana81
I doubt he is paying players this early in his career and with all the FBI trials, etc.
After all we've learned from the current FBI scandal... I honestly don't understand how anyone can assume that there's many 5* players out there who aren't getting paid somehow.

Reactions: HoosierAlice
After all we've learned from the current FBI scandal... I honestly don't understand how anyone can assume that there's many 5* players out there who aren't getting paid somehow.

Yeah, the right approach would be guilty til proven innocent. Especially in regard to top 10 players.

Memphis is about to run that “roll the ball out” trope into the ground and wear it into the history books.

Hope you get Hampton too.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Yeah, the right approach would be guilty til proven innocent. Especially in regard to top 10 players.

Thanks man, yea that would be something - I seriously doubt Penny is paying players, you don't have to cheat to win........And for the life of me will someone please explain to me how Will Wade isn't fired yet??? He is literally on a phone call discussing paying a player?!! It is absolutely absurd that he is still the coach. I mean if the NCAA is letting this type of thing go on in broad day light then who knows what they turn their back to, this is just proof that it should be a free for all out there for every coach in America

Why did the Memphis AD step down? Is he not getting along with Penny?

I heard it's nothing to do with Penny (although he was in favor of keeping Tubby), but he's taking a better job. Not sure which one, but probably a P5 AD job. He did a lot for UM. With all that said, if it's anything to do with Memphis, it's to do with his relationship with the University President. It's never been great.

I just talked to my boss, who's pretty connected with the University, and he said this was a long time coming and he's been interviewing for other jobs for a while now. Even prior to the hiring of Penny.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukedevilz

Hmmmm well if that is the case they definitely saw something I did not watching his team play last year to instill massive confidence in his ability to coach them up.

ADVERTISEMENT