ADVERTISEMENT

SEC / BIG12 Challenge Matchups Set

Not much talk about the Texas vs LSU matchup.
Some history here as LSU visited Austin in Pete Maravich's first game in college.
The Elite 8 Game in 2005
The rematch with KD in Houston the next year.

LSU does have a winning record vs Texas in basketball and the game will come after a football game this year.

Hoping Texas can sweep LSU in football and basketball because they already did it baseball.

I look forward to games against UK like no other. ****ing sucks. TT will be solid but nothing like last year. We beat UT's best team in ages last year and now face a watered down version with a better squad. yawn

that is why when they started all the conference expansions i was hoping KU would join the SEC

i love playing KU

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I didn't have to open this thread and could have predicted the conversation

KU and Kentucky talking shit
Texas Tech telling everyone they still are an elite team
Random fan complaining about their matchup

Only thing missing are Tennessee fans telling us how great Rick Barnes is.

Some decent matchups with some meaning.
I still feel there will be only a few great matchups every year because some schools in either conference just don't matchup.

Good that Mizzou gets an invite.
Bad that they play WV. But they do play WV in football so it could add some extra meaning.
Barnes is great. How great? Very Great.

Reactions: KisteK
I think Tech could make a case for being the best team this past season, but the year before is a major stretch. Nobody was better than that Nova team. And giving them their best game isn't saying much. Tech may have been top 5ish, but not numero uno.

Evans seemed pretty healthy by the end of the year, btw, as he was efficiently putting up big numbers again.

Evans was not close to being healthy.. His big toe was broken.. He had to wear a shoe two sizes bigger on that foot. No way KU wins the Big 12 if Evans doesn’t break his toe that year. Tech beat KU by 20 in the Phog when they were healthy.

Evans was not close to being healthy.. His big toe was broken.. He had to wear a shoe two sizes bigger on that foot. No way KU wins the Big 12 if Evans doesn’t break his toe that year. Tech beat KU by 20 in the Phog when they were healthy.

They didn’t win by 20. And KU got much, much better as the season went on. The team that lost to Tech would not have sniffed the final four.

Interesting that a player who was “not close to healthy” was able to score above his season average over the last 7 games of the year. And shoot high percentages.

Probably would’ve dropped 40/game if not for that blasted toe.

They didn’t win by 20. And KU got much, much better as the season went on. The team that lost to Tech would not have sniffed the final four.

Interesting that a player who was “not close to healthy” was able to score above his season average over the last 7 games of the year. And shoot high percentages.

Probably would’ve dropped 40/game if not for that blasted toe.

You have to understand that, before the Baylor game, where Evans got hurt, he had just went on an absolute tear. In the 7 games leading up to that, he averaged nearly 25 points per game and looked basically unstoppable down the stretch of games.

When he came back from his injury, he was initially a shell of that. Though he did work himself back into solid form, the Evans that immediately preceded his injury was tearing it up and looked like the best player in the league.

I know we Tech fans are a bit new to this so we, admittedly, can be a bit overzealous. I’d imagine, in the case of our team two years ago and especially Evans, most fans are remembering what he was doing right before he got hurt and then comparing that to the slow process after he came back. It may seem like we are way out there, but there is some credence to it.

You have to understand that, before the Baylor game, where Evans got hurt, he had just went on an absolute tear. In the 7 games leading up to that, he averaged nearly 25 points per game and looked basically unstoppable down the stretch of games.

When he came back from his injury, he was initially a shell of that. Though he did work himself back into solid form, the Evans that immediately preceded his injury was tearing it up and looked like the best player in the league.

I know we Tech fans are a bit new to this so we, admittedly, can be a bit overzealous. I’d imagine, in the case of our team two years ago and especially Evans, most fans are remembering what he was doing right before he got hurt and then comparing that to the slow process after he came back. It may seem like we are way out there, but there is some credence to it.

We see it, because we are zeroed in on our teams progression which others don't see. Last year wasn't a shock for us because we had seen what Beard was building. Okay, maybe we didn't expect to make the Final 4, but you get what I mean. You feel we have come out of nowhere, but we have seen it coming. Just like this year, we are young once again, but the talent level is off the charts, for us anyway, and I feel we will have another good season.

Unless something bizarre happens, we are going to have some of the best guards in the country. And I could be wrong, but watch for Kyler Edwards this year. I won't be suprised if he emerges as a big time playmaker. And there is still Moretti who could be all-conference again.

Sherriff, I also want you to remember what you are saying about Ramsey and be sure to come eat crow when you find out you are wrong. And if I am, I'll be the first to come admit it. Every indication from practices and Beards own words are that he will be the best on-ball defender on the team and he is going to make a huge impact this year. Most think he is a one and done. We shall see.

Haha...here we go. This is why I was kind of happy they failed to win it all.

Tech has had a better team than KU exactly once in history, mostly due to KU losing three of its top five players. Now you’re runnin’ things. Methinks Self puts Beardy back in his place this season.

Btw, the Bob Knight era doesn’t count? What a scrub, amirite?
Better hope so. Kansas will be sitting home when it comes tourney time.

Last edited:
Better hope so. Kansas will be setting home when it comes tourney time.

oreally.jpg

Reactions: KisteK and kl40504
SheriffBufordTJustice
Not even a Tech fan.

I really don't know why they think they are a Top 10 team this year.

Ramsey just went off for 42 in only his second exhibition game at Tech against some Serbian pro team called Mega Bemax. He looked crazy good to me. Hopefully, it carries over into the season.

Who said overrated

Said that he isn't a high impact guy
Truthfully Tech wanted Donovan Williams over him. Williams is a high impact defensive player and possibly his offense will come around.

Ramsey has talent and could be a 10-15 PPG scorer in the Big 12 but he isn't a future Top 10 pick.
Texas wasn't even interested in him. Good player and has athleticism.
Not someone I would be saying that will be anywhere near Jarrett Culver.

Scoring a bunch of points against some players in Europe doesn't mean much.

Truthfully think that you should be scrimmaging against yourself
Those European teams are trash. No reason to play them except for a team bonding experience.

Who said overrated

Truthfully Tech wanted Donovan Williams over him. Williams is a high impact defensive player and possibly his offense will come around.

Ramsey has talent and could be a 10-15 PPG scorer in the Big 12 but he isn't a future Top 10 pick.

Those European teams are trash. No reason to play them except for a team bonding experience.

Saved for future reference.

If Tech could somehow recruit at the level of Texas I will be impressed.

No matter how great the coach is your still need those type of players.
You can't just win every year by building a program. Takes time for those players to develop.

Ultimately Tech is upstaging aggy.
Looks like Tech is the one who gained the most by aggy running off and not aggy.

You can't just win every year by building a program. Takes time for those players to develop.

Looks like Tech is the one who gained the most by aggy running off and not aggy.

Good one.

Who said overrated

I love when guys act like they have the inside scoop but really don't have a clue what they are talking about. This European team has had 10 former players get drafted since 2014 including Nikola Jokic so they have talent but maybe lack the depth. If your coach wasn't interested in Ramsey then he's an idiot.

This will be a satisfying bump come next years draft.

I love when guys act like they have the inside scoop but really don't have a clue what they are talking about. This European team has had 10 former players get drafted since 2014 including Nikola Jokic so they have talent but maybe lack the depth. If your coach wasn't interested in Ramsey then he's an idiot.

This will be a satisfying bump come next years draft.

So Ramsey getting drafted next year.
He is an one and done caliber player.
First time I have heard this. Maybe he is. We will have to see but nobody is saying Ramsey will be that type of player.

You played one of their reserve teams.
Not the senior team.
Was it their U19 team

So Ramsey getting drafted next year.
He is an one and done caliber player.
First time I have heard this. Maybe he is. We will have to see but nobody is saying Ramsey will be that type of player.

You played one of their reserve teams.
Not the senior team.
Was it their U19 team
Who predicted Zhaire Smith would be a one year player when he signed as a 3 star recruit? Who honestly thought Culver would be a top 6 pick when he came in as a 3 star recruit? No one. Ramsey is a 5 star talent so while I hope he sticks around I'm not expecting it in the least. You have been way off about Ramsey in virtually every post you have made about him so I'm going to enjoy you getting proven wrong yet again.

Both are very different type of guards.
Smith and Culver are defensive guards who improved their offensive game. This is what got them to the NBA

Shaka Smart liked both and offered both.

Ramsey is a totally different guard.

You can sit here and talk about his scoring.

But you did give up 90+ points. Ramsey shot the ball 25 times. I think any team in the Big 12 would take that.

That was against reserve level players.
That wasn't against their senior team.

This wasn't a discussion about our defense though it needs a lot of work. He was 17-28 shooting. I'm pretty sure no Big 12 team wants him hitting at that clip.

I frankly don't even know what you mean by their senior team. Its one professional team and if you compare box scores from the game to their roster they sent the team.

Texas would love to play a Tech team like that.
Your team last year was tough. A great defensive team. A lot of this had to do with Culver. Culver controlled the game on both ends. Easily can tell people who played basketball and ones who don't. Culver didn't need to score to be the best player on the court. Ramsey does.

Also saved for future reference. I don't know a single Tech fan concerned with where we are in relation to Texas when it comes to basketball. I think we are all very comfortable with the current pecking order.

Reactions: FiscalKliff
Also saved for future reference. I don't know a single Tech fan concerned with where we are in relation to Texas when it comes to basketball. I think we are all very comfortable with the current pecking order.

Tech is probably second now.
TCU and Baylor have good programs. Cougar High could compete in the Big 12 in basketball.
A lot of great teams in Texas.

For the length of time and the number of elite players Texas is clearly the go to school.

Should be two great games. Interested if Tech could win in Austin again. Last year was the first time in 22 years or something.

Tech is probably second now.
TCU and Baylor have good programs. Cougar High could compete in the Big 12 in basketball.
A lot of great teams in Texas.

For the length of time and the number of elite players Texas is clearly the go to school.

Should be two great games. Interested if Tech could win in Austin again. Last year was the first time in 22 years or something.
If you think UT is the top b-ball program in Texas
giphy.gif
Sorry but NIT champs doesn’t mean shit. Ask TCU fans who you are competing get with on the pecking order

Both are very different type of guards.
Smith and Culver are defensive guards who improved their offensive game. This is what got them to the NBA

Shaka Smart liked both and offered both.

Ramsey is a totally different guard.

You can sit here and talk about his scoring.

But you did give up 90+ points. Ramsey shot the ball 25 times. I think any team in the Big 12 would take that.

That was against reserve level players.
That wasn't against their senior team.

What do you mean their senior team?

It’s hard to knock 44 points on 60 percent shooting regardless of competition. I’d be more worried that they barely eeked out a win with that performance. But Bemax did slap Michigan down last year.

What do you mean their senior team?

It’s hard to knock 44 points on 60 percent shooting regardless of competition. I’d be more worried that they barely eeked out a win with that performance. But Bemax did slap Michigan down last year.

We basically just played freshmen in that game. Moretti tweaked a ankle, Clark sat, so did McCuelar(sp?). Beard was mainly just getting new guys live game minutes, same as our first game.

As for Bufford saying UT is the go to, laughable at best. Maybe you get some recruits because of success Rick Barnes once had, but UT is an afterthought in Texas basketball now. It’s Tech, UH, Baylor then TCU or UT. Even if UT somehow beats Tech in Austin nobody cares, as is evident by a home crowd at any UT game.

We basically just played freshmen in that game. Moretti tweaked a ankle, Clark sat, so did McCuelar(sp?). Beard was mainly just getting new guys live game minutes, same as our first game.

As for Bufford saying UT is the go to, laughable at best. Maybe you get some recruits because of success Rick Barnes once had, but UT is an afterthought in Texas basketball now. It’s Tech, UH, Baylor then TCU or UT. Even if UT somehow beats Tech in Austin nobody cares, as is evident by a home crowd at any UT game.

Yet recruiting is proving different.
I get it that Tech wants to be somebody in something.
You have a long way to go. Texas still is a top 10 team according to KenPom since 1998.

Yet recruiting is proving different.
I get it that Tech wants to be somebody in something.
You have a long way to go. Texas still is a top 10 team according to KenPom since 1998.

Since 1998.... Nobody cares what you did 20 years ago. In the here and now UT is somewhere around 5th or 6th best in the Big 12.

Recruiting rankings are neat and all, but if you can’t capitalize on them who cares. UT will always recruit well, that’s a given.

I know UT thinks they’ll take over the Big 12 in basketball when they decide they want to, but it won’t happen in today’s climate. UT will have to be willing to pay a basketball coach as much or more as their football coach and to do so would be appalling to most of their fan base.

Since 1998.... Nobody cares what you did 20 years ago. In the here and now UT is somewhere around 5th or 6th best in the Big 12.

Recruiting rankings are neat and all, but if you can’t capitalize on them who cares. UT will always recruit well, that’s a given.

I know UT thinks they’ll take over the Big 12 in basketball when they decide they want to, but it won’t happen in today’s climate. UT will have to be willing to pay a basketball coach as much or more as their football coach and to do so would be appalling to most of their fan base.

These things matter because they determine how recruits feel about a program.

Tech is getting their program to a level that even Texas hasn't reached. It is only two years. Who knows what happens this year or the next.

The facts are the recruits still will head to Texas because even in a down period Texas produces NBA talent.
When Tech wasn't as great as it was now it wasn't producing NBA quality players.

These things matter because they determine how recruits feel about a program.

Tech is getting their program to a level that even Texas hasn't reached. It is only two years. Who knows what happens this year or the next.

The facts are the recruits still will head to Texas because even in a down period Texas produces NBA talent.
When Tech wasn't as great as it was now it wasn't producing NBA quality players.

That’s all true. Tech is riding high right now, and that can change on a dime. I know the popular thought is that Beard bolts for a blue blood asap, but it’s not going to be anytime real soon from everything I’ve been told. I think he’ll be at Tech another 5-7 yrs minimum.

I’m not saying Texas is bad or ever will be for that matter. I just can’t ever see UT paying a basketball coach as much or more than the football coach and that’s what it takes these days.

Reactions: RedR8der4Life
ADVERTISEMENT