ADVERTISEMENT

SEC / BIG12 Challenge Matchups Set

I'd much rather play UK. KU went to Rupp in '17 & '19 and got to play aTm in AFH in '18.

Reactions: Hank_
I'm surprised but not shocked UK isn't playing the return game @AFH. I've heard rumors we'd play TT, but didn't think they'd actually do it.

IMO the only time UK and KU shouldn't be matched up in this event is when we play each other in the Champions Classic.

Edit:
Mich St (New York)
E. Kentucky
Evansville
Utah Valley
Mount St. Mary's
Lamar
UAB
Fairleigh Dickenson
Georgia Tech
Utah (Las Vegas)
Ohio St. (Las Vegas)
Louisville
@Texas Tech

Last edited:
I'm surprised but not shocked UK isn't playing the return game @AFH. I've heard rumors we'd play TT, but didn't think they'd actually do it.

IMO the only time UK and KU shouldn't be matched up in this event is when we play each other in the Champions Classic.

Same. I assumed they’d get UF, if we got Tech.

Same. I assumed they’d get UF, if we got Tech.
UF would be a much better game than UT IMO.

They really should have done a KU/UK, UF/TT match up. This line up of games really has taken the luster off the event IMO. Weekend match up after Superbowl has built a lot of momentum for the event the past couple of years, and they just set it back.

Last edited:
Reactions: kyjeff1
Tennessee at Kansas? WTH? UT is losing a lot. They're a bubble team, most likely. Kansas deserves better competition. I get that KU-UK every year isn't realistic, but I think LSU or Florida would be a good alternative... at least they got Oklahoma State-Texas A&M right. Those teams are #19 and #20 of the 20 teams competing in the challenge.

Whether a bullet is dodged intentionally or by accident, the end result is the same.
054923b964d0fb66ccf00d8c6bfcacd927aff5-v5.jpg

Do you wanna do another avatar bet if UK and KU meets up in the tournament? Winking

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I would have definitely accepted a bet for a game in AFH, however. Provided that Kentucky doesn't land a huge contributor between now and then.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
4 of the past 5 years Iowa State has played on the road. The only home game during that span is when we got smashed by Tennessee during our rebuild year. Really annoying scheduling by whoever the hell does this.

Reactions: KisteK
4 of the past 5 years Iowa State has played on the road. The only home game during that span is when we got smashed by Tennessee during our rebuild year. Really annoying scheduling by whoever the hell does this.
From what I can gather, the SEC/Big 12 commissions agree on the match ups. Where the SEC has 4 more teams, then the SEC goes by well...

"Auburn, which won the SEC regular-season title last season for the first time since 1999, will not participate in the event on Jan. 26, 2019. It will be the second straight year the Tigers won't play in it.

SEC men’s basketball spokesperson Craig Pinkerton told the Montgomery Advertiser that the 10 participating schools were on a two-year rotation off who participated in last season’s event. The explanation by Pinkerton means Auburn is serving a two-year off period for its 11th place finish in 2016-17.

“The Big 12/SEC Challenge is a unique opportunity to showcase our basketball programs,” SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said in the league release. “Playing the event on a single date in January puts our programs in the college basketball spotlight.”

Last season, Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said his program’s 11th-place finish in 2016-17 allowed for the league to properly exclude the Tigers. Following Auburn’s historic finish in league play that led to its first NCAA Tournament berth since 2003, the only explanation for their exclusion now is a contractual obligation.

Those 4 teams play each other the same day as the SEC/Big 12 match up.

Reactions: rdgtr

I fully expect KU to return to Rupp next year.

Reactions: wesr and KisteK
Well, nobody wants KU UT and UK TT. Kansas sure would like the return game vs UK after playing in rupp 2 years straight.
I think most UK fans would too. 1) It's the fair thing to do, 2)better entertainment, 3)no excuses

Surely the next time UK/KU meets up, it'll be at AFH.

Reactions: KUhawks34
I think most UK fans would too. 1) It's the fair thing to do, 2)better entertainment, 3)no excuses
I look forward to games against UK like no other. ****ing sucks. TT will be solid but nothing like last year. We beat UT's best team in ages last year and now face a watered down version with a better squad. yawn

Reactions: kyjeff1
I look forward to games against UK like no other. ****ing sucks. TT will be solid but nothing like last year. We beat UT's best team in ages last year and now face a watered down version with a better squad. yawn
100% agree. I'm bummed by not playing you guys this year, even though it's basically a guaranteed loss.

Note: We play each other in the Champions Classic next year (2020), so we'll be playing other teams again.

It's horseshit and they blew it this year.

Reactions: toonces11
100% agree. I'm bummed by not playing you guys this year, even though it's basically a guaranteed loss.

Note: We play each other in the Champions Classic next year (2020), so we'll be playing other teams again.

It's horseshit and they blew it this year.
Its always a 50/50...even when KU or UK is down. Thats what makes it so fun. and to your second point----it makes it even more baffling. Are they going to match us up the following year for the return game and play twice in a season?

Its always a 50/50...even when KU or UK is down. Thats what makes it so fun. and to your second point----it makes it even more baffling. Are they going to match us up the following year for the return game and play twice in a season?
Hopefully we'll see you guys @ AFH in 2022. Eyeroll

19-20 season nope.
20-21 season nope. (Champions Classic)
21-22 season game will be after New Years.

Reactions: KisteK

Edit:
Mich St (New York)
E. Kentucky
Evansville
Utah Valley
Mount St. Mary's
Lamar
UAB
Fairleigh Dickenson
Georgia Tech
Utah (Las Vegas)
Ohio St. (Las Vegas)
Louisville
@Texas Tech
That spoiler alert is… .yuck.

That spoiler alert is… .yuck.
#1 Mich St. (neutral)
#5 Louisville
#10 Texas Tech (away)
#11 Ohio St. (neutral)
Georgia Tech
Utah (neutral)
UAB

Should be good games going into a much better SEC. 4 top 11 teams with only one at home.

I'll give you the other 6 games,but those games are to be expected.

*rankings by "way too early ESPN" - Jun 6, 2019*

Last edited:
Screw all this nonsense!!! I'm so excited to have UK come to our house! This is huge for our program, and amazing for our fans. We also needed another good OC team to play this year.

Let me be the first to welcome all wildcat fans who may make the trip! You will be welcome to Lubbock with open arms and sent home with a pat on the back and a big L.

Look forward to talking trash with you guys and enjoying a great game!

Screw all this nonsense!!! I'm so excited to have UK come to our house! This is huge for our program, and amazing for our fans. We also needed another good OC team to play this year.

Let me be the first to welcome all wildcat fans who may make the trip! You will be welcome to Lubbock with open arms and sent home with a pat on the back and a big L.

Look forward to talking trash with you guys and enjoying a great game!
First time we've played since '94. UK is 4-0 all time.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/TexasTech.html

#1 Mich St. (neutral)
#5 Louisville
#10 Texas Tech (away)
#11 Ohio St. (neutral)
Georgia Tech
Utah (neutral)
UAB

Should be good games going into a much better SEC. 4 top 11 teams with only one at home.

I'll give you the other 6 games,but those games are to be expected.

*rankings by "way too early ESPN" - Jun 6, 2019*
I was mainly talking about the home games. 1 good one, the rest are sleepers.

Can't wait to continue proving everyone wrong about Tech being a flash in the pan program. As long as Beard is our coach we will be competing. Mark it down that UK is getting rolled this game.

Just a bunch of teams that haven’t won a championship in the last five years

Meanwhile the ACC and B1G have combined for 3 in the last five years

Did you play them all @ TT?

Joking, but also curious to see how other top teams fared @ TT.

Two guys here seem confident. UK's going to show up to win.

KU’s 35-6 vs Tech. But they’ve lost twice to Beard, one at home and one away.

Hard to predict what Tech will accomplish next year, but if Beard could nearly win the national title with a batch of no-names, you have to think he’ll fare pretty well with highly regarded players.

KU’s 35-6 vs Tech. But they’ve lost twice to Beard, one at home and one away.

Hard to predict what Tech will accomplish next year, but if Beard could nearly win the national title with a batch of no-names, you have to think he’ll fare pretty well with highly regarded players.
He's not played UK yet. :D

ADVERTISEMENT