ADVERTISEMENT

SEC / BIG12 Challenge Matchups Set

That’s all true. Tech is riding high right now, and that can change on a dime. I know the popular thought is that Beard bolts for a blue blood asap, but it’s not going to be anytime real soon from everything I’ve been told. I think he’ll be at Tech another 5-7 yrs minimum.

I’m not saying Texas is bad or ever will be for that matter. I just can’t ever see UT paying a basketball coach as much or more than the football coach and that’s what it takes these days.

Football is more important and pays the bills.
Doesn't mean you can't have sustainable success while paying a basketball coach 5 million a year.

That is one of the benefits Texas has. Can recruit at a very high level and for the most part even in March the UT media is paying attention to football.

Tech has been better than Texas at basketball for the past two years, that's all that matters. Recruits dont care about tradition unless its kansas, kentucky, UNC, or Duke. Not texas.

Reactions: RedR8der4Life
Recruits are proving that wrong.
Recruits care about going to the NBA.
Kansas and Texas have a lot better track record than Tech
Tech is getting up there. All schools in Texas are producing more top level talent.

Texas is still the cream of the crop.

2018-2019 recruiting
Last two classes according to 247 composite

Texas has less players and a higher score
8 commits 129.02 including many players Tech offered

Tech
11 commits 118.17 without any players Texas wanted

Not to mention #1 2020 player in Texas Greg Brown will most likely head to UT.
Is not even considering Tech

Tech is getting up there. All schools in Texas are producing more top level talent.

2018-2019 recruiting

Tech

College basketball is about who is coaching at a school and that's been proven over and over again. I won't even attempt to dispute any of your historic points because they are irrelevant at the moment. The fact remains we have a top 5 coach right now that we paid like a top 5 coach to keep and Texas doesn't. I'd argue he is maybe the best considering what he has done at Tech the last two years. If the NBA draft matters to recruits Beard just put 2 different three star recruits into league in the first round. In terms of recruiting Texas has always done less with more and Beard has done the opposite of that. If Greg Brown chooses Texas over those other schools in his top 5 he's basically choosing mediocrity. Texas is a school that recruits well because of the name recognition alone. Shaka is entering his 4th year having done absolutely nothing since he's been there which is a point that you can't dispute. If he hasn't won anything yet its never going to happen.

If Tech could somehow recruit at the level of Texas I will be impressed.

No matter how great the coach is your still need those type of players.
You can't just win every year by building a program. Takes time for those players to develop.

Ultimately Tech is upstaging aggy.
Looks like Tech is the one who gained the most by aggy running off and not aggy.

We’ve upstaged your beloved horns. It’s ok man, you’ll be alright.

2018-2019 recruiting

Tech

Let’s just go with last year’s and this year’s. I don’t think you can use Beard’s first class as a reliable metric.

Recruiting is the last thing I’d bring up to bolster my case if I were a UT fan to be honest. Shaka could take Memphis’ class this past year and fvck it up royally.

If UT didn’t “want any” of Tech’s recruits that kind of proves my point.

Reactions: FiscalKliff
Let’s just go with last year’s and this year’s. I don’t think you can use Beard’s first class as a reliable metric.

Recruiting is the last thing I’d bring up to bolster my case if I were a UT fan to be honest. Shaka could take Memphis’ class this past year and fvck it up royally.

If UT didn’t “want any” of Tech’s recruits that kind of proves my point.

I didn't use his first class.

I used the one after the Elite 8 season and the one after the Final 4 season.

In the end players care more about their future than they do winning.
Not all players but the majority of bluechip players put the NBA over their college career.

Meaning they will go to the school that helps them get to the NBA.
Chris Beard is showing he can. Tech's overall track record is still young.
Not too hard of a concept to understand

I didn't use his first class.

I used the one after the Elite 8 season and the one after the Final 4 season.

In the end players care more about their future than they do winning.
Not all players but the majority of bluechip players put the NBA over their college career.

Meaning they will go to the school that helps them get to the NBA.
Chris Beard is showing he can. Tech's overall track record is still young.
Not too hard of a concept to understand

Never disagreed with you on the lack of long term success. What I do disagree with is the elitist attitude that you show throughout this thread. I know it’s bred into you UT fans, but come on.

If someone from a blue blood was doing your amount of passive aggressive shit talk I could live with it. Fact is, in one season Tech outstripped anything UT has ever done in basketball, period. Once you play for the title we can argue on equal footing again.

Fact is, Tech will likely land Peavy and 2 other 5 stars in this class. If UT can top a 4.5 star avg for this class with 4 or more players consider me impressed.

Peavy is going to TCU unless Shaka pushes for him but most likely won't because of Greg Brown.
Who are these other 5 star players?

Peavy’s a bit of mystery lately, but I ultimately think he ends up at Tech unless TCU hires his dad.

Nimari Burnett has been close to our newly hired coach for a long time and 2021 #1 overall Jonathan Kuminga is the brother of Joel Ntwambe (sp?) and will likely reclassify to play at Tech with his brother.

Peavy is going to TCU unless Shaka pushes for him but most likely won't because of Greg Brown.
Who are these other 5 star players?
Unless Shaka pushes for him.... Hahahahaha. You are delusional as to who you think your coach is. Even though all indications seem to point to Brown going to you guys don't count me shocked if he decides to choose an actual basketball school.

Unless Shaka pushes for him.... Hahahahaha. You are delusional as to who you think your coach is. Even though all indications seem to point to Brown going to you guys don't count me shocked if he decides to choose an actual basketball school.

I am.
Just stating the facts. Peavy has a Top 3 of Tech, TCU and Texas.
Texas hasn't really pushed for him yet. They won't have a big class next year most likely unless a lot of people leave early.
Might only take at most 3 players. Right now 2

Greg Brown/ most likely a big if one of the bigs leave early.
Texas saved a scholarship just in case no one leaves for Greg Brown.

Some of you Tech fans live off in your own reality like you did with Mike Leach.

I think some people think wins and losses are more important to recruits than the NBA.

Texas is still putting players into the NBA in a down period. Recruits know that they still will be in spotlight even though Texas may not win.
Can't say the same for schools like Tech.

I think some people think wins and losses are more important to recruits than the NBA.

Texas is still putting players into the NBA in a down period. Recruits know that they still will be in spotlight even though Texas may not win.

....that is clinging to any possible shred of relevance right there.

Weird flex to say the least.

....that is clinging to any possible shred of relevance right there.

Is it.
Who determines who is relevant? I think recruits do more than anyone.

If you leave it up to the fans you are always going to have a subjective opinion based on who you are a fan of.

Recruiting determines what schools players feel gives them the best chance at the NBA.

Is it.

If you leave it up to the fans you are always going to have a subjective opinion based on who you are a fan of.

Recruiting determines what schools players feel gives them the best chance at the NBA.

Polls, conference standings/titles, NCAA tourney success, head to head wins, attendance, etc.

But, please, keep holding on to your dreams.

Polls, conference standings/titles, NCAA tourney success, head to head wins, attendance, etc.

But, please, keep holding on to your dreams.

Anyway you look at it Tech is behind Texas unless of course you want to use arbitrary dates.

Plus the fact that Tech is so afraid of Chris Beard leaving them for Texas that the buyout for Texas is much higher than the rest of the country

Your AD in Chris Beard's contract says that Texas is a much better job.

End of discussion. You can keep telling yourself that somehow Tech changed the basketball dynamic in the state in two years or you can look at the facts at hand.

Anyway you look at it Tech is behind Texas unless of course you want to use arbitrary dates.

Plus the fact that Tech is so afraid of Chris Beard leaving them for Texas that the buyout for Texas is much higher than the rest of the country

Your AD in Chris Beard's contract says that Texas is a much better job.

End of discussion. You can keep telling yourself that somehow Tech changed the basketball dynamic in the state in two years or you can look at the facts at hand.

If Chris Beard leaves for a job in the state of Texas or Big 12 (I believe) his buyout is higher. His buyout is no higher for Texas than it is for Sam Houston State. The articles citing like 10 million buyout for Beard to go to Texas includes all it would require to hire Beard at UT, including Shaka’s buyout.

You continue to argue relevancy and pound your chest about everything except the product on the court. Congrats on all those victories that don’t go in the win column. I’ll take actual victories over moral victories.

Is it.

....maybe take a look at my avatar. You don't need to preach to me about recruiting/players going to the NBA.

If Chris Beard leaves for a job in the state of Texas or Big 12 (I believe) his buyout is higher. His buyout is no higher for Texas than it is for Sam Houston State. The articles citing like 10 million buyout for Beard to go to Texas includes all it would require to hire Beard at UT, including Shaka’s buyout.

You continue to argue relevancy and pound your chest about everything except the product on the court. Congrats on all those victories that don’t go in the win column. I’ll take actual victories over moral victories.

I think everyone would.
I don't think anyone can say Tech hasn't been the best team in the Big 12 the last two years.

But for some that was enough to make Tech the basketball power in Texas.
Don't know if that is true until Tech starts winning recruiting battles against Texas.

That is the only way Tech can continue this even through a down period.
Texas has enough in terms of capital to go through a down period and still get recruits.

Regarding Beard...

Like I have said before. Billy Donovan is #1 on Texas' list.
If they do go after Chris Beard that is if Donovan stays at OKC or is no longer interested in coaching in college.

This all won't mean anything if Shaka Smart keeps his job.
I think most around Texas are backing him still. Brought in the #1 S&C coach and one of the top assistants in college basketball.

To think Texas won't spend money on basketball is a bit idiotic and was a original point brought up on here.

I think everyone would.
I don't think anyone can say Tech hasn't been the best team in the Big 12 the last two years.

But for some that was enough to make Tech the basketball power in Texas.
Don't know if that is true until Tech starts winning recruiting battles against Texas.

That is the only way Tech can continue this even through a down period.
Texas has enough in terms of capital to go through a down period and still get recruits.

Regarding Beard...

Like I have said before. Billy Donovan is #1 on Texas' list.
If they do go after Chris Beard that is if Donovan stays at OKC or is no longer interested in coaching in college.

This all won't mean anything if Shaka Smart keeps his job.
I think most around Texas are backing him still. Brought in the #1 S&C coach and one of the top assistants in college basketball.

To think Texas won't spend money on basketball is a bit idiotic and was a original point brought up on here.
Lol, you live in a world where somehow as a fan you would prefer to have higher recruiting classes that produce less wins. Maybe Beard's staff is just a better evaluator of talent than the recruiting services or maybe he's just a better coach in general. Really either way you slice it they play the game to win not to have the better recruiting classes if they don't perform.

Couple of good seasons don't get you anywhere.
Tech fans are getting delusional again. Chris Beard is their new Mike Leach.
You have to maintain this success.
What has Texas done in like how many years? Tech is getting the best recruiting class they have ever had!

Tech has clearly been the better program than Texas the last two years and appears to be better positioned for the future.

But people need to pump the brakes on their takeover of the conference. It’s still KU’s league til proven otherwise. Last year was likely #15 straight if Azubuike doesn’t go down, Vick has his head on straight, De Sousa is eligible, or some combo of these. And few expect Tech to be better than KU this season. Beyond that? Anybody’s guess.

Let them have their fun.

Like I said they lost 20+ straight games in Austin and all of sudden they are the premier basketball program in the state.
At least win 2 in a row in Austin first.

Reminds me of Chargers fans and media members who are once again anointing them the top team in the division despite getting blown out in 9 of the last 10 games vs KC.

At least Tech has accomplished something in the postseason. Chargers can’t even consistently get there.

Reminds me of Chargers fans and media members who are once again anointing them the top team in the division despite getting blown out in 9 of the last 10 games vs KC.

At least Tech has accomplished something in the postseason. Chargers can’t even consistently get there.

I don't think they understand even some of the best coaches recruiting the best players don't stay on that elite level every year.

If their somehow swung RJ Hampton I would have been somewhat more convinced. Until I see them bringing in elite talent like that I think they will go through up and downs.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Tech has clearly been the better program than Texas the last two years and appears to be better positioned for the future.

But people need to pump the brakes on their takeover of the conference. It’s still KU’s league til proven otherwise. Last year was likely #15 straight if Azubuike doesn’t go down, Vick has his head on straight, De Sousa is eligible, or some combo of these. And few expect Tech to be better than KU this season. Beyond that? Anybody’s guess.

I don’t think we have taken over the conference. As long as Kansas is around, we aren’t taking over anything. I’m hoping for a competitive split. As far as your injury situation last year and not getting #15, I would contend that you wouldn’t have gotten #14 had we not been bitten by the injury bug. I’ve seen national media types share the same sentiment, so I’m not just having delusions of grandeur.

I don’t think we have taken over the conference. As long as Kansas is around, we aren’t taking over anything. I’m hoping for a competitive split. As far as your injury situation last year and not getting #15, I would contend that you wouldn’t have gotten #14 had we not been bitten by the injury bug. I’ve seen national media types share the same sentiment, so I’m not just having delusions of grandeur.

It's definitely possible, but far from a given. He was only hobbled for a few games before efficiently putting up big numbers again. I know that Tech fans claim that he was improving before the injury, but KU also improved majorly throughout the year.

Hard to compare that to losing one of the country's best bigs for the entire conference season, along with another talented big for the entire season, plus your best shooter for most of conference season. Best defender out for awhile too.

None of it matters. Just annoying when people claim that Tech was better in both years. Can't have it both ways. Injuries either matter or don't.

It's definitely possible, but far from a given. He was only hobbled for a few games before efficiently putting up big numbers again. I know that Tech fans claim that he was improving before the injury, but KU also improved majorly throughout the year.

Hard to compare that to losing one of the country's best bigs for the entire conference season, along with another talented big for the entire season, plus your best shooter for most of conference season. Best defender out for awhile too.

None of it matters. Just annoying when people claim that Tech was better in both years. Can't have it both ways. Injuries either matter or don't.

An injury-free Big 12 probably has us splitting the last two championships, one way or another.

I don't think they understand even some of the best coaches recruiting the best players don't stay on that elite level every year.

If their somehow swung RJ Hampton I would have been somewhat more convinced. Until I see them bringing in elite talent like that I think they will go through up and downs.
So, not saying this is going to happen but if Beard manages to take Tech to at least the Elite 8 again this year would that prove anything? How many deep runs in a row before you know Tech has become Texas' daddy in basketball?

Tech should be competitive.

Their perimeter defense obviously needs to get better as well as the switches.
I don't think they will be as bad as they were in the exhibition.

They have a long way to go before you start talking about making a deep run in the tournament.
As you saw the last two years. Defense wins in March.

Regarding where Tech stands in relation to the other schools in Texas and in the Big 12.

Just as long as they keep putting players in the NBA and making deep runs they can grow a big program.

The state of Texas for the most part is a lot more wide open for basketball than it is for football.
If you see Tech get behind their basketball program and continue doing what they have done the last two years they can grow a big time program.
They have the momentum right now.

Like I said they aren't at that point with their team.
From what I read the defense was porous especially on the perimeter.

Tech was a very elite team defensively last year.
Beat both the Michigan schools.
Ultimately DeAndre Hunter had a bigger impact for Virginia than Culver did for Tech.

You need players that can impact the game at a high level like that even without scoring.

Tech should be competitive.

Their perimeter defense obviously needs to get better as well as the switches.
I don't think they will be as bad as they were in the exhibition.

They have a long way to go before you start talking about making a deep run in the tournament.
As you saw the last two years. Defense wins in March.

Regarding where Tech stands in relation to the other schools in Texas and in the Big 12.

Just as long as they keep putting players in the NBA and making deep runs they can grow a big program.

The state of Texas for the most part is a lot more wide open for basketball than it is for football.
If you see Tech get behind their basketball program and continue doing what they have done the last two years they can grow a big time program.
They have the momentum right now.

Like I said they aren't at that point with their team.
From what I read the defense was porous especially on the perimeter.

Tech was a very elite team defensively last year.
Beat both the Michigan schools.
Ultimately DeAndre Hunter had a bigger impact for Virginia than Culver did for Tech.

You need players that can impact the game at a high level like that even without scoring.
That was a lot of words not to answer my question. I don't need to know where you think Tech will end up this year I'm asking how far does Tech need to go this year for a blow hard like you to admit you are not only living off past success (which frankly isn't that much) or even recruiting success (which hasn't translated onto the court) and realize teams with good coaches don't just drop back into irrelevancy. Especially, when said school was able to do it with lower end recruits and program success is now leading to higher end recruits.

Reactions: Mtterrell
That was a lot of words not to answer my question. I don't need to know where you think Tech will end up this year I'm asking how far does Tech need to go this year for a blow hard like you to admit you are not only living off past success (which frankly isn't that much) or even recruiting success (which hasn't translated onto the court) and realize teams with good coaches don't just drop back into irrelevancy. Especially, when said school was able to do it with lower end recruits and program success is now leading to higher end recruits.

Villanova wasn't that good last year after winning a NC.
Happens to a lot of schools bringing in better players than you with coaches who have done it a lot longer.

Not going to stay on that peak.

Chris Beard could prove me wrong but I would say that he most likely won't.
Nothing against him as he is a great coach but all teams and even the best go through ups and downs.

KU went out in the Round of 32 last year as well.

Villanova wasn't that good last year after winning a NC.
Happens to a lot of schools bringing in better players than you with coaches who have done it a lot longer.

Not going to stay on that peak.

Chris Beard could prove me wrong but I would say that he most likely won't.
Nothing against him as he is a great coach but all teams and even the best go through ups and downs.

KU went out in the Round of 32 last year as well.
Other teams are irrelevant to my question. Again, how far do they need to go? Big 12 Champions again? Elite 8? Championship Game? National Champions? What's the mark for you to come back on this board and say "Alright I was wrong". By the way I have no idea how this season will pan out I'm just not doubting our coach until he fails to over produce which to this point hasn't happened.

Other teams are irrelevant to my question. Again, how far do they need to go? Big 12 Champions again? Elite 8? Championship Game? National Champions? What's the mark for you to come back on this board and say "Alright I was wrong". By the way I have no idea how this season will pan out I'm just not doubting our coach until he fails to over produce which to this point hasn't happened.

He didn't his first year
He did both years Jarrett Culver was at Tech
Culver isn't there. The question people at Texas had was it Culver or Chris Beard.

Some very knowledgeable basketball people questioned some things in that NC game.

This was why they didn't pull the trigger on Beard.
If Beard is who some of you claim him to be he would have been hired by Texas after last season.

Solid basketball coach. Is he an elite basketball coach that can win with different rosters remains to be seen.

A lot of coaches have went to the Final 4 doesn't make them all elite.

He didn't his first year
He did both years Jarrett Culver was at Tech
Culver isn't there. The question people at Texas had was it Culver or Chris Beard.

Some very knowledgeable basketball people questioned some things in that NC game.

This was why they didn't pull the trigger on Beard.
If Beard is who some of you claim him to be he would have been hired by Texas after last season.

Solid basketball coach. Is he an elite basketball coach that can win with different rosters remains to be seen.

A lot of coaches have went to the Final 4 doesn't make them all elite.
Alright just gonna keep wasting time and not answering the question I guess.

Alright just gonna keep wasting time and not answering the question I guess.

It is a subjective question...

Cannot be answered completely
I think if Chris Beard would to leave for Texas it would answer your question.

Texas already has a coach who had early success but couldn't follow it up.
Actually Smart went to the Final 4 in his second year at VCU.

Best way to answer this question like I have said is probably based on recruiting.

What program do recruits think is better?

This past year it was Texas.
Maybe after this one it will be Tech. We will have to find out.

ADVERTISEMENT