ADVERTISEMENT

SEC / BIG12 Challenge Matchups Set

We've done well with Texans. The Harrison twins took up to back to back Final fours in their only years here.

Edit: Here's a list of our players from TX.

Know PJ was originally from Kentucky but moved to Dallas but you had quite a few.

Thought PJ Washington was of the most underrated players in college basketball last year.
Think he will have a big NBA career.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Know PJ was originally from Kentucky but moved to Dallas but you had quite a few.

Thought PJ Washington was of the most underrated players in college basketball last year.
Think he will have a big NBA career.
I'm surprised we've had so few Texans. Calipari has opened a pipeline.

...and yeah, PJ is progressing at a tremendous rate. I can't wait to see him next year.

I'm really starting to come around to the idea of playing TT this year. At their place especially.

It's no AFH by no means, but sure why not.

Any TT fan up to a two week avatar bet? We can do longer if you like. The bet remains if any teams adds anyone or loses anyone to injury.
Done. Two weeks or the whole season?

Done. Two weeks or the whole season?
It'll be late January//early Feb before we play. IDK the date, but whatever you think.

either way. Bet. Just choose the one or the other now.

@SheriffBufordTJustice you want to get in on this two for one deal? It's clearly a good deal.

Let's sweeten the deal. If all TT fans agree (both of you(kidding)). I'll do 3 weeks and you both do two.

Last edited:
Lol, pretty much. I'm purposely laying it on a bit thick. You guys will be a lot better next year and I Iegitimately think we have a shot at being extremely good as well if we gel like last year's team defensively. That's a big if though. I think offensively we will be quite a bit improved. Neither team will run away with the Big 12 though and it will come down to the last couple games again.

Ill be honest...this KU team next year could be phenomenal. I am no homer, but I haven't been this excited for a season in a while.

We have 2 legitimate All Americans in Dotson and Azubuike. DeSousa will be a beast at the 4 and we have some shooters this year. Ogbaji had glimpses of being a player.

We are going to bust a lot of teams up. Should be fun as long as we stay healthy.

Ill be honest...this KU team next year could be phenomenal. I am no homer, but I haven't been this excited for a season in a while.

We have 2 legitimate All Americans in Dotson and Azubuike. DeSousa will be a beast at the 4 and we have some shooters this year. Ogbaji had glimpses of being a player.

We are going to bust a lot of teams up. Should be fun as long as we stay healthy.
I still rather play you guys. It just robs every college basketball fan of a great game.

Reactions: toonces11

I'm hearing that McCormack has improved big-time.

Front court is loaded.

Not even a Tech fan.

I really don't know why they think they are a Top 10 team this year.

I don't think that's unrealistic. Even top 5 is possible. But some of them get ahead of themselves because they think that Beard walks on water.

They have some good returning talent, a couple good transfers, and a 5 star freshman.

Reactions: KisteK
I don't think that's unrealistic. Even top 5 is possible. But some of them get ahead of themselves because they think that Beard walks on water.

They have some good returning talent, a couple good transfers, and a 5 star freshman.

I am not that big on Ramsey.
Don't think he will come in and be an impact player as a freshman
KU should know this better than anyone. Look at Grimes.
Ramsey is more of a borderline 4/5

I am not that big on Ramsey.
Don't think he will come in and be an impact player as a freshman
KU should know this better than anyone. Look at Grimes.
Ramsey is more of a borderline 4/5

Grimes didn't buy in and was highly overrated to begin with. I'm not that familiar with Ramsey.

Grimes didn't buy in and was highly overrated to begin with. I'm not that familiar with Ramsey.

Grimes still has the chance to develop.

The talent is still there.

Regarding Ramsey.
You like the length. Not an impact defensive player yet.
More of an offensive player from what I have seen.
But wouldn't consider him a great shooter right now and doesn't have the athleticism of Culver.

Truthfully thought Donovan Williams fits what they do on defense a lot more.

Ramsey probably scores 10-11 PPG as a freshman.

I think rankings are almost entirely meaningless after the top 50. Honestly, less than that.

Culver was a sought-after player in Texas circles. Sheriff will be along any minute now to expound on this in great detail.

I don’t think that the 312th player has an argument to be 51st if that’s what you mean.

I don’t think that the 312th player has an argument to be 51st if that’s what you mean.

Why?

Look at the NBA draft and these people are considered the top in the field
Don't you think that the people who run these sites will make more mistakes especially considering that there are a lot more players and they don't actually get to see every player in person.

Texas recruited Culver over Febres
All these sites had Febres as a Top 100 player.

A lot of coaches in Texas had Culver even higher than Marcus Garrett.
I think that year PJ Washington and Vanderbilt were only players who coaches were higher on in Texas.

I called the 30 point blowout UK suffered to Zion, the followed that up with calling the UK/ Hagans win over UNC... for my next notrodomus like prediction/fact Im calling UK 81 > the severely overrated ttu 58

I called the 30 point blowout UK suffered to Zion, the followed that up with calling the UK/ Hagans win over UNC... for my next notrodomus like prediction/fact Im calling UK 81 > the severely overrated ttu 58
Nice reference on Hagans. He dominated that game.

We look forward to making you a false prophet.

For one Beard does walk on water but aside from that I think we will surprise some folks with the quality of depth we are going to run next year with some players I think most don't even really have on their radar. We won't have the best player on the court like last year so that's a big difference though. Personally I think we lost less after this championship game run than from the elite eight run the year prior.

All on Moretti and Edwards .

Good guards with experience who play smart basketball.
Tech still can be a Sweet 16 team.

Could actually get even deeper based on the draw but I wouldn't consider them an Elite 8/Final 4 team right now.

Unless someone really emerges.
I don't see that player on their roster that has experience.
Some of the freshmen could eventually

All on Moretti and Edwards .

Good guards with experience who play smart basketball.
Tech still can be a Sweet 16 team.

Could actually get even deeper based on the draw but I wouldn't consider them an Elite 8/Final 4 team right now.

Unless someone really emerges.
I don't see that player on their roster that has experience.
Some of the freshmen could eventually
Expect it from a transfer. Holyfield or Clark, maybe even Ntambwe if he becomes eligible which may be a possibility still.

Expect it from a transfer. Holyfield or Clark, maybe even Ntambwe if he becomes eligible which may be a possibility still.

Those guys are why I have Tech as a Sweet 16 team and could make a deeper run depending on the brackets.

When I say impact I mean high level production like a Jarrett Culver

You are replacing maybe the best player who will ever walk onto your campus quite possibly.

In a few more years you will have more appreciation for Culver.

If you would have brought in RJ Hampton it would have different.
Beard needs to get those guys to look at your program

Culver's length made your defense elite on the perimeter plus his athleticism.

Until I see Tech playing this kind of defense I am not going to make any claims of Tech being elite
Some of you have this idea that it was all Chris Beard and not the players.

Culver was a lot of it
Very few players have that ability.

Culver's length made your defense elite on the perimeter plus his athleticism.

Until I see Tech playing this kind of defense I am not going to make any claims of Tech being elite
Some of you have this idea that it was all Chris Beard and not the players.

Culver was a lot of it
Very few players have that ability.
I think you are actually higher on Culver than I am. Not to take anything away from him but Culver didn't make last year's defense as much as you think he did. I think replacing someone with Owen's rim protection in the back is far more important to our defense. If we can find a competent replacement there we have a shot at a another great defense because of the system. At this point I just need to see us play some games to see if we have that guy or not.

I think you are actually higher on Culver than I am. Not to take anything away from him but Culver didn't make last year's defense as much as you think he did. I think replacing someone with Owen's rim protection in the back is far more important to our defense. If we can find a competent replacement there we have a shot at a another great defense because of the system. At this point I just need to see us play some games to see if we have that guy or not.

You need to look at the numbers and the difference between Tech and just a good Defensive team.

Reason why Tech plays so well against the current offenses...

FG percentage
3 pt shooting percentage

Teams didn't shoot the ball well against Tech.
Especially from deep.

You are right in that regard but there was a reason they could be so aggressive defending the perimeter and it stems from a competent shot blocker in the back and the way in which we switch and guide the offensive player to the part of the defense we want them to attack.

As mentioned prior, Tech has never had more raw talent on campus (based on rankings, stats, etc.) than we have with this current team. I have little doubt that Tech will, once again, be an elite defensive team. Last year's team had defensive standouts in Mooney, Owens, and Culver, while this year's unproven group will likely be deeper, as early reports anticipate a legit 10-man rotation.

Offensively, it's going to take some time to get it all figured out. Moretti will likely pick up some of the scoring slack as he was the Big 12's first ever 40/50/90 player in league history. It's more likely that the lost production will be picked up in the aggregate as we don't have anyone ready to take over Culver's role at the moment. Likely candidates to shoulder some of the scoring load are Kyler Edwards (who had balls the size of coconuts throughout the tournament and especially the Final Four) and Jahmius Ramsey.

Whoever said Ramsey isn't a lockdown defender or as good of an athlete as Culver may want to catch a highlight or two. Whenever Ramsey chose to, guards could hardly get the ball past half court on him. He may not have quite the functional athleticism of Culver, but he is an absolutely explosive athlete.

All this being said, I'm glad we are meeting in late January and not earlier in the season. Tech has gotten things rolling right around that time each of the last two seasons and, with so much youth and new pieces, we will need some time to mesh before the finished product is revealed. Unless the bottom has unexpectedly fallen out early in the season, UK fans should expect an absolutely packed and rabid crowd. Should make for a great game.

I look forward to games against UK like no other. ****ing sucks. TT will be solid but nothing like last year. We beat UT's best team in ages last year and now face a watered down version with a better squad. yawn

Kind of like last year when everyone picked us 7th in the Big 12. And had we not had injuries the year before last when Nova beat us in E8, your streak would've stopped and we would be at 2 in a row. So there's that.

Kind of like last year when everyone picked us 7th in the Big 12. And had we not had injuries the year before last when Nova beat us in E8, your streak would've stopped and we would be at 2 in a row. So there's that.

If we’re playing the “everyone’s healthy and available plus added assumptions” game, then a fully intact KU wins it last year. Before making it two straight this season.

See how easy that is? I love this game.

Those guys are why I have Tech as a Sweet 16 team and could make a deeper run depending on the brackets.

When I say impact I mean high level production like a Jarrett Culver

You are replacing maybe the best player who will ever walk onto your campus quite possibly.

In a few more years you will have more appreciation for Culver.

If you would have brought in RJ Hampton it would have different.
Beard needs to get those guys to look at your program

Culver was phenomenal, but for now, I will say that Keenan Evans was a better player and more important to our team. If he doesn't injure that too, I still think we are the best team in the country that year. Even on his bum toe, we have Vilanova their toughest game. He had a killer instinct that Culver doesn't have yet, if he ever gets it.

Culver was phenomenal, but for now, I will say that Keenan Evans was a better player and more important to our team. If he doesn't injure that too, I still think we are the best team in the country that year. Even on his bum toe, we have Vilanova their toughest game. He had a killer instinct that Culver doesn't have yet, if he ever gets it.

You guys really need to pump the brakes on the homerism.

So Texas Tech was secretly the best team in the nation for the last two years. Does that about cover it? A bum toe and some bad luck away from back to back national titles?Laughing

Reactions: jhmossy

So Texas Tech was secretly the best team in the nation for the last two years. Does that about cover it? A bum toe and some bad luck away from back to back national titles?Laughing

Yes!!! Finally you see it, too.

Okay, maybe that post was a bit over the top, but we did give Vilanova their toughest game of the tourney, and I do feel we would have had a good chance in the final four, had we made it. We just were not 100% and Keenan was our star that year. He was poised to be the POTY before the toe injury.

And, yes, I do feel we have had a phenomenal two years, but I'm not saying that will continue. It could have all just been a fluke and this year we go back to where we have historically been. But, with Beard I don't think that will be the case.

Also, don't pretend like every fanbase aren't homers. You are just as guilty as everyone else. We have been good enough to win the last two years, that is all I crow about. I'm just glad to be in a position to enter the back and forth with other teams. Thats the fun part, and much easier to do when you can finally peak over the side of the big boys table and see whats going on up there.

I think Tech could make a case for being the best team this past season, but the year before is a major stretch. Nobody was better than that Nova team. And giving them their best game isn't saying much. Tech may have been top 5ish, but not numero uno.

Evans seemed pretty healthy by the end of the year, btw, as he was efficiently putting up big numbers again.

I think Tech could make a case for being the best team this past season

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT