ADVERTISEMENT

Portal thread?

Had a former student recently play in LigaPro. No idea what level that is, but he hated it.
On the other hand, a kid from my high school is over there living it up.
I'd assume it goes both ways, but have a feeling the former is much more common.

Absolutely! Lots and lots of Americans are making 6-figures playing overseas. But, those guys are disproportionately going to be guys that came from the D1 ranks.

Not sure what percentage of Americans have ideal spots, but I'm certain that most D2 players aren't in glamorous opportunities. They're the ones scrapping by, if they can even land a roster spot, and probably playing in the 3rd or 4th division and earning the equivalent of an entry level worker in business or sales. They have no stability as far as a multi-year contract, they bounce around from country to country, and the pay isn't substantial.

Absolutely! Lots and lots of Americans are making 6-figures playing overseas. But, those guys are disproportionately going to be guys that came from the D1 ranks.

Not sure what percentage of Americans have ideal spots, but I'm certain that most D2 players aren't in glamorous opportunities. They're the ones scrapping by, if they can even land a roster spot, and probably playing in the 3rd or 4th division and earning the equivalent of an entry level worker in business or sales. They have no stability as far as a multi-year contract, they bounce around from country to country, and the pay isn't substantial.
Yep. D2ers dont' have much of a prayer imo. You know all players. The former student was Da'Monte Williams who came back to be a cop. The kid from my high school was Alec Peters, got a cup of coffee with the Suns, then said F it and went overseas and is killing it.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Jurassic Park Wow GIF by Spotify

Reactions: TKBray

@GE Nole How you feeling? NIL/unlimited transfers is going to be brutal for some teams. FSU is getting hit hard.

Are you going to have any returning players?

Watkins could move the needle a bit for Kentucky, IMO. No clue who might be reaching out to him, but Kentucky still needs a dude that can take over.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
if we get Lanier is this a roster good enough to get UT back to elite 8 or better

PG: Z/Hammond/Boswell
SG: Lanier/Gainey
SF: Mashak/ Carr
PF: Milicic/ Dubar
C: Okpara/Estrella

I think it looks really solid but looks more like a sweet 16 roster than deep

Is any coach in this NIL/Portal era going to last 20 years at a big-time program? All of your guys are free agents after each season - and you have to re-recruit the ones that have previously committed because of wandering eyes? How much time do they even spend coaching teams now?

I think it will be UT/Arky/ or Bama for the SEC title with Texas A&M and Auburn in the next tier. I'm not sure what to think of Kentucky at this point or Florida

Is any coach in this NIL/Portal era going to last 20 years at a big-time program? All of your guys are free agents after each season - and you have to re-recruit the ones that have previously committed because of wandering eyes? How much time do they even spend coaching teams now?
I don't see this current system lasting. College sports is going to need some restrictions put in place to reel things in. It's the wild west right now.

@GE Nole How you feeling? NIL/unlimited transfers is going to be brutal for some teams. FSU is getting hit hard.

Are you going to have any returning players?

I still think Jamir goes pro. Scouts I spoke with this season said he could go 35-50 given how weak the draft class is. And given his age he should take that. It made total sense when he declared for the draft.

But I also heard someone gave him a $1M+ offer, and he went into the portal with a do not contact tag. He could just be keeping his options open, but perhaps he has a spot in mind?

As for FSU, we have two guys from last year. Chandler Jackson and Taylor Bol Bowen. Two solid pieces, but neither can carry a team. We have 4 transfers in and 3 recruits right now. So I guess we will be adding at least 2-3 more.

Got to see Achor Achor in person this year. He was playing against weaker competition, but I honestly think he's a future pro. phenomenal athlete and a very efficient shooter/scorer. Super talented. Could be a 1st/2nd Team All-Conference player in a power league.

• Wow
Reactions: GE Nole

Got to see Achor Achor in person this year. He was playing against weaker competition, but I honestly think he's a future pro. phenomenal athlete and a very efficient shooter/scorer. Super talented. Could be a 1st/2nd Team All-Conference player in a power league.

I've only seen him in the tourney game vs KU, but he was a monster. If I'm a team with the minutes to offer, I'd be all over him.

Cliff Omoruyi started his visit to UNC earlier today. What a great time to visit a campus lol.
I saw something about this earlier. The UNC chancellor was out there and ordered them to take that trash down and put the Stars and Stripes back up. I like that guy! Seems like these pro-Palestine protests are going on all over college campuses right now. I even saw some shit about a Jewish professor (Israeli-American) at Columbia being banned from campus. Absolutely sickening.

• Wow
Absolutely! Good athlete, can shoot, rebound, and defend. He's the ideal 4. On a bigger stage, I think he could play himself into first round consideration.

Sounds like a perfect match for FSU!

If only we could afford him.

I think UK may be done with additions for now, at least until draft withdrawals start happening. Who knows though. Seems like everyone has been in the dark for the most part until right before commitments are announced for several reasons: 1) whole new staff and no “insider” connections have been made yet. Most of the news is coming from the recruit side, and 2) Pope seems to play it close to the vest anyway. We have plenty of plane trackers trying to decipher what’s going on at every second of every day though. 🤣 9 players on scholly right now. Hopefully that number will get to at least 11. Kinda bummed they haven’t landed a stud PG. The Butler/Krissa combo is kinda meh. Def need another wing, PF, and hopefully a PG that can do a little bit of everything (Smith would’ve been ideal 😡). Butler can defend but isn’t really a go-to guy on offense. Kriisa can pass and shoot but he ain’t beating anyone off the dribble and is a trash defender. So either way you don’t have a compete PG on the floor at any given time. WVU upgraded by getting rid of Kriisa and landing Small.

I think UK may be done with additions for now, at least until draft withdrawals start happening. Who knows though. Seems like everyone has been in the dark for the most part until right before commitments are announced for several reasons: 1) whole new staff and no “insider” connections have been made yet. Most of the news is coming from the recruit side, and 2) Pope seems to play it close to the vest anyway. We have plenty of plane trackers trying to decipher what’s going on at every second of every day though. 🤣 9 players on scholly right now. Hopefully that number will get to at least 11. Kinda bummed they haven’t landed a stud PG. The Butler/Krissa combo is kinda meh. Def need another wing, PF, and hopefully a PG that can do a little bit of everything (Smith would’ve been nice 😡). Butler can defend but isn’t really a go-to guy on offense. Kriisa can pass and shoot but he ain’t beating anyone off the dribble and is a trash defender. So either way you don’t have a compete PG on the floor at any given time. WVU upgraded by getting rid of Kriisa and landing Small.

Jamir Watkins would be a monster addition as a wing. Hell, he could play point in some situations. He led FSU in assists for much of the season. (And also led fsu in points, rebounds, and steals…)

• Love
Jamir Watkins would be a monster addition as a wing. Hell, he could play point in some situations. He led FSU in assists for much of the season. (And also led fsu in points, rebounds, and steals…)
I think ultimately they’ll probably land Robinson (BYU) (more of a combo forward than guard/forward in Pope’s system) but it’s a risky time in recruiting for everyone with critical roster spots to fill right now. Are you willing to wait it out and hope you land a big fish or do you fill the spot now maybe with a lesser player if you can and avoid getting caught with your pants down? Still plenty of talent left in the portal but it gets riskier with every big name that comes off the board. Some of these guys won’t commit until late May and even into June/July, right before summer session starts. Most programs don’t have the luxury of waiting that long to fill out their rosters unless they’re already pretty stacked, really confident, and/or like to gamble. With this NIL shitshow you never know anymore. I’d say it’s tough for anyone to be confident because there are always sharks lurking and ready to poach. Could even be a program with a smaller NIL budget that has a bunch of average players and a buttload of money to spend on a stud.

Reactions: GE Nole
Sounds like a perfect match for FSU!

If only we could afford him.

He's going to cost a pretty penny, for sure.

Do you talk much to other boosters? I've got to imagine donor fatigue is a very real thing.

Do they talk about that in class lol? They're going to have a blast playing in the Mongolian league in front of 300 people. I think Chick-Fil-a might have better benefits than those third-rate pro leagues.

Yeah I overhear them talking with their teammates and classmates about it. It’s hilarious how delusional they are.

Yeah I overhear them talking with their teammates and classmates about it. It’s hilarious how delusional they are.
I teach seniors at one of the best high school basketball programs in Illinois. Today we gave them back their letters they wrote to themselves as freshmen about their aspirations for high school. A lot of D1 dreams didn't come to fruition. Like, all of them.

He's going to cost a pretty penny, for sure.

Do you talk much to other boosters? I've got to imagine donor fatigue is a very real thing.

I do. We are probably unique with all that’s going on right now. No donor fatigue due to the playoff snub and the (unrelated) desire to get out of the ACC. So the booster tap is wide open.

But it’s not being directed at hoops. Hoops will always take a backseat to football for us, but especially with where things are with Ham. People are ready for a change.

We back motherfvckers!

Winner: DePaul's reboot has strong start

Former Ohio State coach Chris Holtmann is hitting the ground running at what is arguably the worst job in a major college basketball conference. DePaul hasn't been to an NCAA Tournament since 2004 and is coming off a 3-29 season. But with the transfer class Holtmann is putting together, don't be surprised if the Blue Demons make strides in his first season. Backcourt players Conor Enright (Drake), Jacob Meyer (Coastal Carolina), Isaiah Rivera (Illinois-Chicago) and David Thomas (Mercer) each shot 40% or better from 3-point range at their last stops. Many of the frontcourt additions have perimeter shooting acumen as well. Holtmann faces a long road to making DePaul relevant in the Big East, but he's off to a good start. – Cobb

@dukedevilz you seen much of or have an opinion on Sion James? I am hearing he is a done deal to Duke

Where are you hearing that he's a done deal? That would be a fantastic pick up!

He's a legit NBA prospect. Great size, good defender, solid playmaker, and he's a excellent spot up shooter (though not a super high volume). He's not the best at creating his own shot, but with his size he can be tough to stop when going down hill. Could also improve his ball handling a bit.

Someone like Sion James could challenge for a starting position, likely Caleb Foster. But, it could also mean we sometimes go with a 3 guard lineup with Flagg at the 4. Either way, would be a monster get!

We back motherfvckers!

Winner: DePaul's reboot has strong start

Former Ohio State coach Chris Holtmann is hitting the ground running at what is arguably the worst job in a major college basketball conference. DePaul hasn't been to an NCAA Tournament since 2004 and is coming off a 3-29 season. But with the transfer class Holtmann is putting together, don't be surprised if the Blue Demons make strides in his first season. Backcourt players Conor Enright (Drake), Jacob Meyer (Coastal Carolina), Isaiah Rivera (Illinois-Chicago) and David Thomas (Mercer) each shot 40% or better from 3-point range at their last stops. Many of the frontcourt additions have perimeter shooting acumen as well. Holtmann faces a long road to making DePaul relevant in the Big East, but he's off to a good start. – Cobb

I'm glad coach Stubbs is back in Eugene. Sorry it didn't work out.

Where are you hearing that he's a done deal? That would be a fantastic pick up!

He's a legit NBA prospect. Great size, good defender, solid playmaker, and he's a excellent spot up shooter (though not a super high volume). He's not the best at creating his own shot, but with his size he can be tough to stop when going down hill. Could also improve his ball handling a bit.

Someone like Sion James could challenge for a starting position, likely Caleb Foster. But, it could also mean we sometimes go with a 3 guard lineup with Flagg at the 4. Either way, would be a monster get!
A guy I have been getting info from for about 6 years now. Met him at Count Down to Craziness a good while back. He is rarely ever wrong and even when he has been, he has always came back the day before the announcement and said things changed. He was in the Army and met a couple people there that are very closely connected to the program. His info has been unreal accurate for the entire time I have known him. We will see what happens but he said yesterday that it's all but done.

Last edited:
A guy I have been getting info from for about 6 years now. Met him at Count Down to Craziness a good while back. He is rarely ever wrong and even when he has been, he has always came back the day before the announcement and said things changed. He was in the Army and met a couple people there that are very closely connected to the program. His info has been unreal accurate for the entire time I have known him. We will see what happens but he said yesterday that it's all but done.

Wow! Big-time! He should help solidify our chances as a legitimate title contender.

Reactions: Blueheart32
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT