ADVERTISEMENT

Portal thread?

Hearing that Jaxson Robinson is either KU or the NBA. That would be a nice cherry on top.

Funny thing is, BYU fans are wanting him to do well at the combine; they've conceded that he's probably not coming back. So, if he performs well at the combine, he'll stay in the draft and his name will show up on an NBA roster as playing at BYU and not KU or UK lol.

Funny thing is, BYU fans are wanting him to do well at the combine; they've conceded that he's probably not coming back. So, if he performs well at the combine, he'll stay in the draft and his name will show up on an NBA roster as playing at BYU and not KU or UK lol.

they should say you're from the school you spent teh most time at. Cam Johnson will always be PITT in my eyes for example.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Seems a bit optimistic. I think we are good enough to finish top 4 in ACC again. Bennett said he’s going to make changes to the offense. Bringing in guys like Warley and Ames support that idea because they don’t fit past UVA offenses imo. I think we’ll be better on offense and worse on defense this year. Gotta agree with @dukedevilz that Duke or UNC will win the ACC.

Reactions: dukedevilz
according to an insider on our board Lanier had commited to UT but UK came in last minute with a 1.8 million dollar NIL offer. According to this insider Barnes does not want to affect the chemistry on the team and pay him that kind of money

according to an insider on our board Lanier had commited to UT but UK came in last minute with a 1.8 million dollar NIL offer. According to this insider Barnes does not want to affect the chemistry on the team and pay him that kind of money
'insiders'.... a dime a dozen. Lanier isn't getting a $1.8 million dollar deal. Pope already showed w/Osobor that he wasn't going to do something like that.

'insiders'.... a dime a dozen. Lanier isn't getting a $1.8 million dollar deal. Pope already showed w/Osobor that he wasn't going to do something like that.
sounds to me like our posters are trying to cope if we don't get him. This whole thing about not upsetting the other players is stupid as fck

Reactions: kyjeff1
"Our team is top 10 with or without Lanier" Nah bro we'll likely be in the NIT if we don't get him

I wouldn't put too much stock in what these "insiders" say, it seems like I have seen more incorrect reporting this year than any other year I can recall.

I heard Lanier is demanding 1.8 million and you're hearing UK offered that number. There's too much bs out there to believe rumors.

Where do you see UT's roster if Barns doesn’t land Lanier? Seems like they need him more than UK does.

Depth piece for UK. They wrap up at 12 guys probably?
Going to fill all 13, but according to Fueger (assistant coach), they might save that last scholarship for any possible summertime talents that pop up.

And Lanier would start at the 2. He’s a legit scorer and a guy UK needs.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what these "insiders" say, it seems like I have seen more incorrect reporting this year than any other year I can recall.

I heard Lanier is demanding 1.8 million and you're hearing UK offered that number. There's too much bs out there to believe rumors.

Where do you see UT's roster if Barns doesn’t land Lanier? Seems like they need him more than UK does.
according to our board it's no big deal if we don't land him. Which IMO is just false we could be a team seriously in jeopardy of making the tournament. fans are having fantasies that Igor Milicic and Okpara are the best duo in the nation in the post when they haven't done much of anything.

"Our team is top 10 with or without Lanier" Nah bro we'll likely be in the NIT if we don't get him
That's what I was wondering. Losing Knecht, Aidoo, Jordan-James and Vescovi, is a ton of key pieces to overcome.

according to our board it's no big deal if we don't land him. Which IMO is just false we could be a team seriously in jeopardy of making the tournament. fans are having fantasies that Igor Milicic and Okpara are the best duo in the nation in the post when they haven't done much of anything.
Barnes will need to focus on being a defensive juggernaut like Houston was last year. But, Barnes' teams are always great defensively.
Knecht put UT on another level last season and should prove to your fans that you need a legit offensive dog to be a contender.
If I'm Rick Barnes, I find a way to get Lanier.

Reactions: ABVolsFan92
That's what I was wondering. Losing Knecht, Aidoo, Jordan-James and Vescovi, is a ton of key pieces to overcome.
But, we do have the Rosetta stone in Barnes, so we will be OK.

But, we do have the Rosetta stone in Barnes, so we will be OK.
Hmm, idk, I really think y'all need to get Lanier, if not… .

87397088.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: treyforuk
I’m not buying that Osobor got $2 mil from UW either. That number is definitely inflated.

Going to fill all 13, but according to Fueger (assistant coach), they might save that last scholarship for any possible summertime talents that pop up.

And Lanier would start at the 2. He’s a legit scorer and a guy UK needs.
I wonder how many teams are going to fill 13. The eye on college basketball podcast they discussed the new strategy for most coaches and said “11 is the new 13.” Less players disgruntled with their minutes and such.

I wonder how many teams are going to fill 13. The eye on college basketball podcast they discussed the new strategy for most coaches and said “11 is the new 13.” Less players disgruntled with their minutes and such.
Yeah, some of the 11 on the roster are definitely guys that are there knowing they're in for the long haul. There are two kids from Kentucky that bleed blue, they aren't leaving and they know they are deeper on the bench, but they're still very good. Heck, we thought Reed Shappard was a 4 year guy. He was supposed to be.

I like what Pope is doing. It’s definitely freaking some UK fans out though. They are the fans that became fans during the Cal era, so they think each player needs to be some highly ranked guy that needs to be great right away. The issue is, 7 out of 10 highly ranked kids are unpolished, they just have great athletesism. They show flashes of greatness, piss down their legs in the NCAAT, then leave after 1 season. Edwards, Boston, Whitney, Knox, Diallo, Gabriel and Wagner are a great examples of this.
Give me proven juniors and seniors all day long over beanpole freshmen.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I’d rather have disgruntled options than slim to none on the bench. Only takes an injury or two to decimate a roster. Cal rarely ever even came close to filling 13. If nothing else it provides more competitive practices than going against a bunch of walk-ons. Plus they can always become a free agent after a season (or less) if they aren’t happy. If you can get decent talent to take ‘em, may as well use ‘em.

Once all the smoke clears and rosters are set we need a @dukedevilz pre-season top 25 and/or major conference standings predictions. 💪🏻

Yeah, some of the 11 on the roster are definitely guys that are there knowing they're in for the long haul. There are two kids from Kentucky that bleed blue, they aren't leaving and they know they are deeper on the bench, but they're still very good. Heck, we thought Reed Shappard was a 4 year guy. He was supposed to be.

I like what Pope is doing. It’s definitely freaking some UK fans out though. They are the fans that became fans during the Cal era, so they think each player needs to be some highly ranked guy that needs to be great right away. The issue is, 7 out of 10 highly ranked kids are unpolished, they just have great athletesism. They show flashes of greatness, piss down their legs in the NCAAT, then leave after 1 season. Edwards, Boston, Whitney, Knox, Diallo, Gabriel and Wagner are a great examples of this.
Give me proven juniors and seniors all day long over beanpole freshmen.
Did Gabriel piss down his leg, or just fill his shoe?

• Haha
Once all the smoke clears and rosters are set we need a @dukedevilz pre-season top 25 and/or major conference standings predictions. 💪🏻

Still a lot of moving parts, no question. I could maybe do a top 50 in a month from now with each team's projected top 6 contributors. Without doing a deep dive, this would be my way-too early top 25.

1. Kansas
2. Alabama (If Mark Sears returning)
3. North Carolina (If Ven-Allen Lubin committs)
4. Iowa State
5. Houston
6. Duke
7. Baylor
8. Gonzaga
9. UConn
10. Arizona
11. Indiana
12. Texas A&M
13. Purdue
14. Arkansas
15. St. John's
16. Auburn
17. Creighton
18. UCLA
19. Kentucky
20. Marquette
21. Ohio State
22. Tennessee
23. Florida
24. Cincinnati
25. Miami

And then there's another 20-30 teams that probably aren't that far off from the 25th team. SEC has crazy depth this year. I've got 7 in the top 25 and I didn't include Texas, Georgia, Ole Miss, or Miss State, who all have quality players.

Next best team from each conference
ACC- Clemson
Big East- Xavier
Big 12- Texas Tech
Big 10- Rutgers
SEC- Ole Miss
AAC- Memphis
A10- Saint Louis
MWC- Boise State
WCC- Saint Mary's
Rest Of the Conferences- McNeese State

Still a lot of moving parts, no question. I could maybe do a top 50 in a month from now with each team's projected top 6 contributors. Without doing a deep dive, this would be my way-too early top 25.

1. Kansas
4. Iowa State
5. Houston
6. Duke
7. Baylor
8. Gonzaga
9. UConn
10. Arizona
11. Indiana
12. Texas A&M
13. Purdue
14. Arkansas
15. St. John's
16. Auburn
17. Creighton
18. UCLA
19. Kentucky
20. Marquette
21. Ohio State
22. Tennessee
23. Florida
24. Cincinnati
25. Miami

And then there's another 20-30 teams that probably aren't that far off from the 25th team. SEC has crazy depth this year. I've got 7 in the top 25 and I didn't include Texas, Georgia, Ole Miss, or Miss State, who all have quality players.

ACC- Clemson
Big East- Xavier
Big 12- Texas Tech
Big 10- Rutgers
SEC- Ole Miss
AAC- Memphis
A10- Saint Louis
MWC- Boise State
WCC- Saint Mary's
You got 19 and 22 reversed, just a heads up.

It's a worthy discussion. I know in all the years that K was at Duke, 2017 is the only year where he utilized all of the available scholarships. When you know what you are getting with 4-6 returning players and 3-5 elite freshmen, it's understandable why there wouldn't be a great need for filling those final two roster spots, other than ensuring you can play 5-5 on practice and not having to rely on walk-ons. It's not realistic for the 12th and 13th players to get minute in the rotation, so you do what you can to make your team as cohesive as possible.

But now, with the ridiculous roster turnover, it's almost impossible to look at a long-term strategy with roster construction. It has to be a season by season approach, knowing you have to recruit every single one of those guys back if you want any shot at having returning players. 4-5 of them will transfer anyway. You can't spare feelings at this point. It's going to happen regardless.

So, why not utilize all of the scholarships, especially if you're not 100% sure of what product you'll get from some of these guys? Coaches would need to be upfront with players and say, "Look, we believe you're immensely talented (explain how you'd like to use their skillset). I can't promise you minutes, however. I can't promise anyone minutes. I think there's a good chance you'll be a key guy. But, I absolutely can't promise you anything. You're going to have to work your butt off."

One the first day of practice all 12-13 scholarship players expect to be in the rotation. Basketball players don't lack confidence. So, when you have 4 starters leave from the previous year it's not that hard to sell, "Hey, we lost a lot of crucial guys from last year's team. We think you might be able to help us." So yeah, I'd lean towards going 12-13 deep, hoping several of them will develop into promising players. And you never know how the health of a team will hold up. Houston had what, 3 season ending-injuries? In that Texas A&M 2nd Round matchup they had a freaking walk-on shooting crucial free throws in overtime. Relying on walk-ons for 5-5 scrimmages, or worse, in an overtime game of the NCAA Tournament is not the way to go.

You got 19 and 22 reversed, just a heads up.

The difference is so very little at this point. And we have no idea how most of these guys will progress over the next 6 months. There are always surprises.

At this point, though, I think I like Kentucky's roster a little better because they have A LOT of proven players. Not superstars, but good players. I think the odds are that a couple of them will develop into all-conference caliber players.

according to our mods UK did offer a 1.8 million to Lanier and we have offered significantly less

• Wow

1. Kansas
4. Iowa State
5. Houston
6. Duke
7. Baylor
8. Gonzaga
9. UConn
10. Arizona
11. Indiana
12. Texas A&M
13. Purdue
14. Arkansas
15. St. John's
16. Auburn
17. Creighton
18. UCLA
19. Kentucky
20. Marquette
21. Ohio State
22. Tennessee
23. Florida
24. Cincinnati
25. Miami

ACC- Clemson
Big East- Xavier
Big 12- Texas Tech
Big 10- Rutgers
SEC- Ole Miss
AAC- Memphis
A10- Saint Louis
MWC- Boise State
WCC- Saint Mary's
With the loss of PJ Hall Clemson will struggle they will be more of a bubble team next year. They didn't add anyone impressive and Hunter will be their best player going forward but he struggled alot last season.

ADVERTISEMENT