ADVERTISEMENT

Portal thread?

Texas Tech just landed the PG from Minnesota, Elijah Hawkins. Anyone have an opinion on him? He seems like a pure PG that is best at facilitating. Though, he looks like he is good at driving to the basket.
He's quick and can get into the paint and dish it, but he struggles to finish at the rim due to his size. Solid shooter but again, needs more space than others to get his shot off due to his size. Played out if control, at times, earlier in season but corrected that as the season went on.

Reactions: Necessary Roughness
Yes, he sucks too. Slightly better version of Kellen Grady. Butler and Oweh gonna have to pick up the slack on defense.

I've only seen a few highlights, but from the way he's described, it sounds like Brannen Greene (KU player who was deadly from three but did nothing else and couldn't guard a fencepost). Everyone was after him though. At the very least, he should be instant offense off the bench.

Cats think they are getting Chaz Lanier too. According to our mods He is either Vols or Maryland

Cats think they are getting Chaz Lanier too. According to our mods He is either Vols or Maryland
Screenshot-2024-05-01-175201.png

Because he sucks other than that. Glad he's an asshole on the court though. I do like that.
If he's coming off the bench as a spark plug for instant offense, he could thrive. I just don't trust him as a starting PG on a contender. He just can't get to the rim (literally doesn't even try).

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
@dukedevilz has Pope done a good job building a team that can compete? I honestly don't know what to expect. I've barely seen any of these transfers play.

Just tell me everything is going to be okay.

I like most of the players. But, I don't see any likely All-Americans. You'd like to get one alpha scorer that is able to carry a team down the stretch of a game.

FWIW, He didn't have super talented teams at BYU. Jaxon Robinson was the only player on this year's team that was a top 100 recruit. The aggregate whole of what BYU produced was better than the individual parts. He's an analytics junkie and his offense will remind you a lot of what Nate Oats runs. Often ran a 5-Out motion offense, which is super hard to defend.

While I don't see any All-Americans, a lot of these Kentucky transfers are capable of making all-conference teams. You have three very elite defenders in Butler, Oweh, and Amari Williams. And you have elite shooters in Koby Brea, Kerr Kriisa, and Travis Perry. And Chandler and Carr are very capable shooters, too. These players are collectively much more talented than what he had at BYU - and that was a top 25 team most of the year. The only advantage the BYU players had was continuity. I don't expect them to contend for a national title, unless they bring in some players that can move the needle, but they should still be a team in the top 25 mix.

Makes no sense why athletics and academics ever became intertwined. It’s also hilarious watching my D2 athletes not give a **** about school because “they’re going pro”

Do they talk about that in class lol? They're going to have a blast playing in the Mongolian league in front of 300 people. I think Chick-Fil-a might have better benefits than those third-rate pro leagues.

Reactions: jhmossy and Deepelm
Do they talk about that in class lol? They're going to have a blast playing in the Mongolian league in front of 300 people. I think Chick-Fil-a might have better benefits than those third-rate pro leagues.
yea, but the 2nd rate pro leagues are legit. My buddy from college was a guy named Tommy Kleinschmidt who was a honorable mention AA in college. Had a cup of coffee in the NBA in preseason, but then went to Japan where he had a 10 year career and made mid 6 figures every season. At 6'5 and with super long blond hair he became a bit of cult figure out there. Saw him at the end of his career and he said it was a great decision to go there, had a great time and made a lot of money.

yea, but the 2nd rate pro leagues are legit. My buddy from college was a guy named Tommy Kleinschmidt who was a honorable mention AA in college. Had a cup of coffee in the NBA in preseason, but then went to Japan where he had a 10 year career and made mid 6 figures every season. At 6'5 and with super long blond hair he became a bit of cult figure out there. Saw him at the end of his career and he said it was a great decision to go there, had a great time and made a lot of money.

For sure. If you're making 6-figures, keep doing it as long as you can. A lot of the top divisions overseas pay very well. Most of Europe, China, Japan, Korea, Turkey, Israel. There are literally hundreds of pro leagues, though. Not all of them are glamorous.

In terms of where someone can play and how much they'll be compensated, a D2 player isn't going to be in the same stratosphere as an HM All-American at the D1 level.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Had a former student recently play in LigaPro. No idea what level that is, but he hated it.
On the other hand, a kid from my high school is over there living it up.
I'd assume it goes both ways, but have a feeling the former is much more common.

ADVERTISEMENT