ADVERTISEMENT

Portal thread?

Pope kind of needs Robinson. How embarrassing would it be for Pope if the only BYU guy to follow him is someone who's never played for him (Chandler)?
With the last 3 guys Pope has landed, I don't think losing Jaxson will be too embarrassing.
But yeah, I'm sure MP would be much happier with JR on the roster.

I'm sure Khalifa will get some cheddar from Louisville. UK is making a run at Carr and I think he would be a great fit but doubtful they'd land both him and Osobor... would rather have Osobor. I love Smith's game and hope they land him eventually but that may be unlikely. I think he would've committed already but apparently there may be an issue with his credits transferring, especially since he's seeking to go to his 4th school in 5 years. I think that's going to be a pretty common issue going forward with a lot of guys. I love that Pope has already landed some solid defense with Williams, Butler, and Oweh. Hoping some offensive dominoes start falling next though.
Osobor is a Red Raider. I'm almost certain of it.

Reactions: bignish
Hall, Saunders, and Khalifa have already turned him down. To go 0 for 4 on your former players following you to UK wouldn't look great.

Probably not a huge deal in the long run, though.
Saunders has a wife and kids IIRC, moving them to Lexington wasn't really a good option.

Hall was targeted. He didn't have any interest in following Pope, though. I understand those guys would be in supporting roles, likely 20 minutes or less. So, it's understandable why they'd want to stay put.

Khalifa is fun to watch, but also painful to watch because how slow he is. Still, seems like it'd be hard to pass on more money and playing for a blue blood.

Osobor would be a huge pickup. And I'm very bullish on Devion Smith... Still a lot of time to put together a top 10 team.
Tell me more about Smith, you said 'bullish', what do you mean? Dude is short, but is crazy athletic and is a good shooter.

Osobor is a Red Raider. I'm almost certain of it.
0f85867d-a6b2-4e43-915a-757f8563b992_text.gif

Tell me more about Smith, you said 'bullish', what do you mean? Dude is short, but is crazy athletic and is a good shooter.

In a bull market the stock prices are on the rise. "I'm bullish" is to say I'm very high on him - and buy stock now.

There aren't too many point guards in the country I'd take over him right now. Mark Sears and maybe Tamin Lipsey. That might be about it.

Pope kind of needs Robinson. How embarrassing would it be for Pope if the only BYU guy to follow him is someone who's never played for him (Chandler)?

TBF, if you look at Cal, it's been somewhat similar too. He got Z back, but Bradshaw went elsewhere. Adou is going elsewhere. Wagner likely going elsewhere. Same for Ugonna. Khalifa was not really a loss, considering he is redshirting. Hall, ehh. Saunders was a loss, Robinson would be a big one, if only because they have no person in that role yet. Home board says they are setting up a visit with Kadary Richmond. That would be a good add too.

I think Pope has done a decent job considering how much on the fly it's been. Have to finish on the recruiting trail, obv.

Reactions: dukedevilz
TBF, if you look at Cal, it's been somewhat similar too. He got Z back, but Bradshaw went elsewhere. Adou is going elsewhere. Wagner likely going elsewhere. Same for Ugonna. Khalifa was not really a loss, considering he is redshirting. Hall, ehh. Saunders was a loss, Robinson would be a big one, if only because they have no person in that role yet. Home board says they are setting up a visit with Kadary Richmond. That would be a good add too.

I think Pope has done a decent job considering how much on the fly it's been. Have to finish on the recruiting trail, obv.

Seems like Cal may be trying to fill out a skeleton crew for Arkansas this year and already turning his attention towards trying to load up on 2025 high school recruits.

Kadary Richmond would be a monster pickup, for sure. Only thing about that, though, is Pope would be deviating from his 3-point attack stratagem.

I thought I heard him say recently that he wanted to lead the country in 3-point field goals made. Would be hard to do that with Richmond, Oweh, and Butler. Not exactly three-point snipers. On the flip side, that'd be a heckuva a defensive lineup.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Kadary Richmond would be a monster pickup, for sure. Only thing about that, though, is Pope would be deviating from his 3-point attack stratagem.

I thought I heard him say recently that he wanted to lead the country in 3-point field goals made. Would be hard to do that with Richmond, Oweh, and Butler. Not exactly three-point snipers. On the flip side, that'd be a heckuva a defensive lineup.
I think Richmond has visits to UK, Duke, and Arkansas set up purely to drive up NIL before he commits to St. John's. Just my opinion. If you’re trying to squeeze out more NIL money those are 3 programs I would be visiting to entice the Johnnies to pony up more cash. He just seems like someone that is unlikely to leave the northeast.

Seems like Cal may be trying to fill out a skeleton crew for Arkansas this year and already turning his attention towards trying to load up on 2025 high school recruits.

I'm sure they are working on portal guys too, just doesn't make sense to focus on high school kids as much anymore. But that's Cal I guess.

I think he's focused on getting some dawgs defensively first with Butler, Oweh & Williams. Now gonna fill the roster out with shooters. It's definitely gonna be a departure from previous years on offense I'd say, but if they get a couple good shooters I'm sure it'll still work.

I'm sure they are working on portal guys too, just doesn't make sense to focus on high school kids as much anymore. But that's Cal I guess.

I think he's focused on getting some dawgs defensively first with Butler, Oweh & Williams. Now gonna fill the roster out with shooters. It's definitely gonna be a departure from previous years on offense I'd say, but if they get a couple good shooters I'm sure it'll still work.

To appease Nike Cal has to focus most of his attention on High School classes. Nike isn’t shelling out money for low NBA potential transfer portal guys and multi-year returning guys. They want the next crop of OADs.

In a bull market the stock prices are on the rise. "I'm bullish" is to say I'm very high on him - and buy stock now.

There aren't too many point guards in the country I'd take over him right now. Mark Sears and maybe Tamin Lipsey. That might be about it.
Wow, that's high praise.
Sounds like he's got transcript issues and is looking to land at his 4th school in 5 years. Hopefully Pope can land him.

I think Richmond has visits to UK, Duke, and Arkansas set up purely to drive up NIL before he commits to St. John's. Just my opinion. If you’re trying to squeeze out more NIL money those are 3 programs I would be visiting to entice the Johnnies to pony up more cash. He just seems like someone that is unlikely to leave the northeast.
If he goes to SJ after visiting those 3 schools, check his wonderlick test scores, there can't be much common sense there.

• Haha
No common sense to pick Pitino over Calipari, Scheyer and Pope? Or NYC over those places?
A little of both. Say what you want about Cal, Pope and Scheyer, they aren't public embarrassments like RP can be sometimes. I'm not just talking about the Karen Sypher thing, or the dorm hookers, that guy has thrown his players under the buss in public too many times and just this year, he trashed his entire team in a press conference. That was totally classless.
But also, come on, Saint Johns isn’t in the same class as UK, Duke and Arkansas, especially now that Cal is at Arkansas.
Is SJ ever on ESPN during the season? If you want exposure, you go to Duke and/or UK, every game those teams play is in a prime time slot on ESPN or CBS.

Much knowledge of Jalen Blackmon from Stetson? @dukedevilz

Miami landed him out of the portal. Averaged 21 ppg in the ASUN and went for 43 in the conf championship game.

Miami needed a guard that can fill it up so hopefully it translates to ACC play. Miami is one more solid big and experienced guard away from having a chance to be pretty good.

I like your chances of getting Osobor now that you have Carr. We were really trying to land both and it's because they stated they want to play together. Hope you get both. Good gets.
Pope just picked Osobor up at the airport in Lexington, I'm thinking he'll be signed on by Tuesday given the Carr signing.
Should be a heck of a frontcourt for UK this year.

Carr is a perfect role player pickup. Good at what he does, doesn't demand a ton of usage but can hit shots everywhere. Love it. If they get Osobor that'll be a very good 3 man big rotation.

Its going to be weird seeing UK transition to being an older program that relies on the transfer portal to cobble together a lineup now. I don't see Pope having as much success as Cal luring in the big fish on the HS recruiting trail but he's got a massive NIL budget at his disposal so he should clean up in the transfer portal.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Its going to be weird seeing UK transition to being an older program that relies on the transfer portal to cobble together a lineup now. I don't see Pope having as much success as Cal luring in the big fish on the HS recruiting trail but he's got a massive NIL budget at his disposal so he should clean up in the transfer portal.
Hoping he’ll land a stud OAD type player every now and then but would rather see him get the players that will stick around long term for the most part and supplement with portal guys as necessary. Obviously this year he’s gotta put together a roster quickly on the fly so this isn’t necessarily indicative of how he’ll always assemble a roster. I think especially with the offense they run it would be massively helpful to have some year-to-year continuity with returning players rather than basically turning over the whole roster every year. Could see him favoring transfers with multiple years of eligibility left too.

Much knowledge of Jalen Blackmon from Stetson? @dukedevilz

Miami landed him out of the portal. Averaged 21 ppg in the ASUN and went for 43 in the conf championship game.

Miami needed a guard that can fill it up so hopefully it translates to ACC play. Miami is one more solid big and experienced guard away from having a chance to be pretty good.

I did catch that ASUN title game where he had 34 points in the second half. Very skilled offensively. I would definitely label him as a three-level scorer. Doesn't need much space to get a shot off. Has great body control when driving towards the rim. Great shooter (96th percentile on catch-and-shoots). Plays off the ball a lot, but he's capable of facilitating. Miami would do well to utilize him in a bunch of PnR action.

Biggest concern is how he plays defensively. From the limited time I've seen him, he does a poor job boxing out - and he often gets caught in no man's land where he isn't really guarding anyone. Guess that's kind of the trend with Miami. Elite offensively, and so-so on defense. Bad defensive techniques can certainly be corrected with coaching and effort.

You got to like what Miami brings to the table, though. Not too many schools can boast a backcourt with the talent of Nijel Pack, Jalil Bethea, and Jalen Blackmon. Elite backcourts win games in March.

ADVERTISEMENT