ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Should Brandon Miller be Suspended

Should they hold him out during the entire trial?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
Do you trust your favorite team's police force? If he's not in trouble, he's not in trouble.

I think all this moral outrage is from people that actually have no morals to begin with. That said, Miller is either guilty of a crime or is not and he has not been charged with anything, so I vote no.

I suppose you need to explain how that is so.

Giving the benefit of the doubt to the guy who supplied the murder weapon, while assuming that his critics are immoral. Seems a little backwards, doesn't it?

Giving the benefit of the doubt to the guy who supplied the murder weapon, while assuming that his critics are immoral. Seems a little backwards, doesn't it?
Not as backwards as punishing a person for a crime he hasn't been accused of. Why would someone choose to do that? Oats comments were insensitive, but why should a player be punished for a coach not handling a question well? Enlighten me.

He supplied a gun that was used for a murder. He should not be playing right now.
It is not as simple as that. I don't think anyone thinks that the shooting was plan or premeditated, am I correct on that? If I am, then Miles is no more guilty that if you passed your buddy a steak knife and the next day he killed someone with it.

Miles is either guilty of murder or he is an accomplish to a murder and to my knowledge the police/DA do not think he is guilty, so why does he deserve to be punished exactly?

Last edited:
I think all this moral outrage is from people that actually have no morals to begin with. That said, Miller is either guilty of a crime or is not and he has not been charged with anything, so I vote no.
Yikes

This is from his attorney. He didn't know what was going to happen. He didn't touch or see the gun. He didn't block the victim's car. Unless there is damning information from a dashcam or text messages, I seriously doubt anything happens to him.

FpmZ61VX0AIRFj4

FpmZ61SXgAEN-J9

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
This is from his attorney. He didn't know what was going to happen. He didn't touch or see the gun. He didn't block the victim's car. Unless there is damning information from a dashcam or text messages, I seriously doubt anything happens to him.

FpmZ61VX0AIRFj4

FpmZ61SXgAEN-J9
So, as it sits now he shouldn't be suspended or punished.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
Good to see the SEC fans kind of sticking together on this one.

I don't know if he should be suspended.

But I do think it would be a good idea to beef up security wherever he goes.

🤣 Cmon. you could've stopped right at that part. As an attorney i can tell you there isn't any weight to his lawyer's statement. He's trying to control the narrative in a way that benefits his client. It's called lawyering 101.

It's possible that the witnesses are well aware of his situation and aren't willing to snitch on a future millionaire.

The one text message from Miles indicated that trouble was brewing and he needed his gun - presumably for safety. There's no evidence, as of now, that Miller knew anything more than that. If Miller knew more than his lawyer published in that letter, then I suspect we'll find out through dash cam or text messages. But, it would be foolish to preemptively suspend someone without evidence of a wrongdoing.

The likely play from the victims family is to hope he isn't charged. Then 4 years from now after his rookie contract is up and he signs a massive deal serve him up with a civil suit for every penny.

Settle for something in the middle and use some to start a charity/scholarship in memory of the lost loved one.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
The likely play from the victims family is to hope he isn't charged. Then 4 years from now after his rookie contract is up and he signs a massive deal serve him up with a civil suit for every penny.

Settle for something in the middle and use some to start a charity/scholarship in memory of the lost loved one.
SOL for wrongful death civil suits in Bama is 2 years.

FpmZ61VX0AIRFj4

FpmZ61SXgAEN-J9
Well that settles it. If his attorney says he didn't know about it must be true. I forgot that's how or justice system works.

Reactions: speedfrk and HawksJ
Well that settles it. If his attorney says he didn't know about it must be true. I forgot that's how or justice system works.

I'm not saying he's innocent. I just don't see the point in condemning & suspending someone without evidence that actually implicates him. Haven't seen anything yet that proves he actually knew about the intentions of the crime beforehand.

I'm not saying he's innocent. I just don't see the point in condemning & suspending someone without evidence that actually implicates him. Haven't seen anything yet that proves he actually knew about the intentions of the crime beforehand.
sure, but saying that is a lot different than posting his attorney's statement while citing the info in that statement as facts which is what you did originally.

Reactions: nrmorgan2001
It is not as simple as that. I don't think anyone thinks that the shooting was plan or premeditated, am I correct on that? If I am, then Miles is no more guilty that if you passed your buddy a steak knife and the next day he killed someone with it.

Miles is either guilty of murder or he is an accomplish to a murder and to my knowledge the police/DA do not think he is guilty, so why does he deserve to be punished exactly?
He supplied the gun that was used in a murder. Simple. Done. He should at least not be playing.

He should also be charged with an accessory to murder as well.

And you analysis is stupid.

Reactions: speedfrk and HawksJ
He supplied the gun that was used in a murder. Simple. Done. He should at least not be playing.

I think your analysis or lack thereof is stupid. If the murderer had borrowed his car and then run someone over should the kid be charged with a crime? It is the same thing, but you are just fixated on the gun.

I agree. He shouldn't be playing. Alabama is having their best season ever and IMO that's the reason why he's still playing. Had he played for a blue blood then everyone on here would be screaming to sit him.

I don’t see a compelling reason to suspend him. We don’t know his involvement and the suspected involvement isn’t even a crime.

A question for those who want him suspended:

How long would suffice? Assuming he’s never charged, the team has to what? Wait until a prosecutor says he won’t be charged? Why? Suspend him for the remainder of the season and reinstate him next season? Why?

In my opinion, this isn’t a case of putting athletics over everything. It’s a matter of due process. If he was a regular worker in the same situation it is unlikely he’d lose his job. Very unlikely. Why should he lose his ability to play basketball? It’s essentially his job, not some privilege.

My opinion is Tuscaloosa police cleared him. Everything that has come out from the police to testimony so far has pretty much cleared Miller of anything illegal so far. Any long-term suspension would not have been warranted or justified. Now a 1-2 game suspension back in January when Bama found out of the event and learned of his involvement I feel may have been appropriate. Just bad decision making with bringing someone the gun when you know they’re out at the club even if you just want to get it off your person. Nothing good can come of that.

Now here’s the issue. Public perception would not have mattered no matter what route they took. They could have suspended Miller for 1-2 games claiming broken team rules and kept his involvement quiet (which since it was an ongoing investigation would have had to do that). But this would have come out and people would have still been up in arms claiming his suspension was not enough and Oats would be criticized. So everything was going to be a lose-lose situation. What just made everything all worse was just the lack of sincerity and the words Oats used and has used in press conferences dealing with the issue. Oats needs a PR manager.

Reactions: brooky03
A question for those who want him suspended:

How long would suffice? Assuming he’s never charged, the team has to what? Wait until a prosecutor says he won’t be charged? Why? Suspend him for the remainder of the season and reinstate him next season? Why?

In my opinion, this isn’t a case of putting athletics over everything. It’s a matter of due process. If he was a regular worker in the same situation it is unlikely he’d lose his job. Very unlikely. Why should he lose his ability to play basketball? It’s essentially his job, not some privilege.
I think there are two very difference circumstances.

On the legal side, from what I've gathered, I'm surprised he hasn't been charged but I'm not an attorney. The cynic in me wonders if Tuscaloosa PD didn't charge due to bias but I have to ignore that in this regard. If they don't think he should be charged, so be it.

On the flip side, every university in the country has a code of conduct that their student athletes sign. You see guys suspended all the time because they did things that were a violation of team rules or didn't adhere to the university code of conduct. Those suspensions can be as little as an exhibition game to a full year suspension.

I just really find it hard to believe that on the night a basketball game was played, a player being out until 2AM, being in the company of someone with a loaded weapon, delivering that weapon to another person, and having that weapon being used to murder a young mother and orphan her 5 year old child doesn't violate Alabama's code of conduct. To me, that egregious an offense (IMO) should be a minimum 5 game suspension and perhaps up to 10 games.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
I think there are two very difference circumstances.

On the legal side, from what I've gathered, I'm surprised he hasn't been charged but I'm not an attorney. The cynic in me wonders if Tuscaloosa PD didn't charge due to bias but I have to ignore that in this regard. If they don't think he should be charged, so be it.

On the flip side, every university in the country has a code of conduct that their student athletes sign. You see guys suspended all the time because they did things that were a violation of team rules or didn't adhere to the university code of conduct. Those suspensions can be as little as an exhibition game to a full year suspension.

I just really find it hard to believe that on the night a basketball game was played, a player being out until 2AM, being in the company of someone with a loaded weapon, delivering that weapon to another person, and having that weapon being used to murder a young mother and orphan her 5 year old child doesn't violate Alabama's code of conduct. To me, that egregious an offense (IMO) should be a minimum 5 game suspension and perhaps up to 10 games.

My understanding is Miller brought Miles’ gun to Miles. It wasn’t Miller’s gun and Miller wasn’t involved after that.

I don’t know what code of conduct would prohibit this.

• Haha
Reactions: Lefty8
Soooo, the people that are outraged that someone close to a horrific event is getting off seemingly scott free and those people have no morals? Got it!

ADVERTISEMENT