ADVERTISEMENT

Place to put my Nonsense Thread.

It's a little weird liking UNC fans. I've told you all about my Luke fathead Maye friend, but I want to shit on other teams, but some posters make it hard.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
It's a little weird liking UNC fans. I've told you all about my Luke fathead Maye friend, but I want to shit on other teams, but some posters make it hard.

One day you’ll have to line them up and take a pic and post it here.

That’s been a great thing about this forum, tbh. Conversing with a lot of rival fans and actually liking many of them.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I think the last time I posted in this thread Hail said I wasn't real smart. Not sure I'm intelligent enough anymore, sorry.
I am curious as well. I am a conservative with very little religious belief. I know you lean left in most things. You should tell us, its the offseason. Who cares?

I am curious as well. I am a conservative with very little religious belief. I know you lean left in most things. You should tell us, its the offseason. Who cares?

My religious beliefs are pretty conflicted tbh. I've lived my whole life in Kentucky, so I grew up in a Republican/Christian household like most here. The older I get though the more ridiculious a lot of religious stuff sounds. I would say I'm probably agnostic if anything. The idea that when you die that's it and you no longer exist is pretty depressing, though I'd say that's what's likely what happens.

3935a1f39f549af8c66ca3797398a19a.jpg

I also think the Catholic church should be burnt down to nothing considering how often cases of sexual abuse of kids has been covered up for likely centuries.

My religious beliefs are pretty conflicted tbh. I've lived my whole life in Kentucky, so I grew up in a Republican/Christian household like most here. The older I get though the more ridiculious a lot of religious stuff sounds. I would say I'm probably agnostic if anything. The idea that when you die that's it and you no longer exist is pretty depressing, though I'd say that's what's likely what happens.

I also think the Catholic church should be burnt down to nothing considering how often cases of sexual abuse of kids has been covered up for likely centuries.
Not too controversial. IMO. Definitely not going to have the same opinion as many, but as is life.

Not too controversial. IMO. Definitely not going to have the same opinion as many, but as is life.

TMB is very conservative and religious, figured this side would religious too since it is as conservative.

Reactions: UL_1986
TMB is very conservative and religious, figured this side would religious too since it is as conservative.

Watch Jordan Peterson's lectures on the Bible. Can't remember how many parts there are, maybe 14-15 different videos? He presents it from a scientific/psychological perspective. Lots of atheists and agnostics find themselves in agreement with much of what Peterson says.

As far as the concerns raised by the Greek philosopher, I actually think there's a very clear reason why. Agency. He gives man the ability to choose for himself what he will. The only way to take away the harmful effects of war, and all things evil, is to take away man's ability to choose. But, because God won't control you, bad things will inevitably occur. Also, I do believe in the concept of Yin and yang. If you never had a bad day, how would you know if you're having a good day? All things can't be peachy 100% of the time. Sunshine all day makes a desert, not a utopia. Those opposing forces actually work in a rather complimentary way, IMO. If there is no opposition, I believe life would have very little meaning.

Man is inevitably going to suffer. That's part of the refiner's fire of mortality. If you shield someone from pain, from grief, from discipline, from loss, guess what happens? You get a weak individual who struggles mightily with the slightest ounce of adversity.

Reactions: cdbearde

God gave man "free will". That is why evil exist. Wrong exit, etc, etc...Its also why people question God. He does not interfere with mans decisons---unless asked, i.e. prayer.

God is more than capable of preventing Evil. And very able. BUT, He gave us free will. TO do as we choose. Its not His fault evil exist---its ours. Its the choices we make.

There are many things I do not understand. And I've questioned a many of them. I have just come to feel that are things we are not simply meant to understand. Not now, anyways.

Reactions: cdbearde
I used to mock @shun on his new lease on life. Dude is/was spot on. Staring point blank at mortality is a hell of a thing.

Everything about sports is entertainment. You all are amazingly awesome. It's mind boggling how lucky we are to have a group like we do.

I consider myself agnostic at this point in my life. I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools until 9th grade. I didn't start to think "what if there is no god?" until I was in college, probably around 22 or so. And from that point on, my faith has declined. I consider myself agnostic because like you, the idea that the end is just turning the lights off is simplistic and depressing. I hate the idea that we have loved ones come and go in this life, only to never see them again after death on earth.

At the same time, science has proven to me that there is no requirement for a god. That doesn't necessarily mean that one doesn't exist, but science can explain life and how we got here. I agree with ghost, really not that controversial, and even some of the conservatives over on this board don't have much to do with religion.

Watch Jordan Peterson's lectures on the Bible. Can't remember how many parts there are, maybe 14-15 different videos? He presents it from a scientific/psychological perspective. Lots of atheists and agnostics find themselves in agreement with much of what Peterson says.

As far as the concerns raised by the Greek philosopher, I actually think there's a very clear reason why. Agency. He gives man the ability to choose for himself what he will. The only way to take away the harmful effects of war, and all things evil, is to take away man's ability to choose. But, because God won't control you, bad things will inevitably occur. Also, I do believe in the concept of Yin and yang. If you never had a bad day, how would you know if you're having a good day? All things can't be peachy 100% of the time. Sunshine all day makes a desert, not a utopia. Those opposing forces actually work in a rather complimentary way, IMO. If there is no opposition, I believe life would have very little meaning.

Man is inevitably going to suffer. That's part of the refiner's fire of mortality. If you shield someone from pain, from grief, from discipline, from loss, guess what happens? You get a weak individual who struggles mightily with the slightest ounce of adversity.
The part I bolded is the main argument I use if I am debating the existence of an afterlife. Can heaven exist knowing the part I bolded is true? Heaven is this place where there are no bad things, no evil, and nothing but peace. I am curious to see what your thoughts are on this.

God gave man "free will". That is why evil exist. Wrong exit, etc, etc...Its also why people question God. He does not interfere with mans decisons---unless asked, i.e. prayer.

God is more than capable of preventing Evil. And very able. BUT, He gave us free will. TO do as we choose. Its not His fault evil exist---its ours. Its the choices we make.

There are many things I do not understand. And I've questioned a many of them. I have just come to feel that are things we are not simply meant to understand. Not now, anyways.
Why does god choose to answer some prayers and not others? I have not prayed in a long time. When I was a kid, I prayed every night.

I have told the story of my mom being sick with cancer on this board. When she was diagnosed the second time, the time that ended up being fatal, I prayed. I prayed more than once. For the first time in probably 15 years. My mom never got better.

I envy you borden because you are strong in faith, and you are sure there is an afterlife and a God and that you will be with him for eternity after you life on earth is done. I hope you are right, but most things I have experienced in my life have me doubting there is anything like that after we pass.

Reactions: RR30
Why does god choose to answer some prayers and not others? I have not prayed in a long time. When I was a kid, I prayed every night.

I have told the story of my mom being sick with cancer on this board. When she was diagnosed the second time, the time that ended up being fatal, I prayed. I prayed more than once. For the first time in probably 15 years. My mom never got better.

I envy you borden because you are strong in faith, and you are sure there is an afterlife and a God and that you will be with him for eternity after you life on earth is done. I hope you are right, but most things I have experienced in my life have me doubting there is anything like that after we pass.

I’m sorry you feel that way

Yes it's a ridiculous premise. Were your prayers not answered because you didn't show enough faith before your mother was ill? If that is the case God is a very cruel thing. The idea that God set things in motion and let free will take over is something I used to believe too.

Most churches are a good thing though even if I'm not a big believer these days. I'd say outside of the very heavy core churchgoers most people aren't that crazy religious. But being in a community of people is a good thing. And I feel like it's something that has been lost with the younger generation.

Yes it's a ridiculous premise. Were your prayers not answered because you didn't show enough faith before your mother was ill? If that is the case God is a very cruel thing. The idea that God set things in motion and let free will take over is something I used to believe too.

Most churches are a good thing though even if I'm not a big believer these days. I'd say outside of the very heavy core churchgoers most people aren't that crazy religious. But being in a community of people is a good thing. And I feel like it's something that has been lost with the younger generation.
Here is something I have questioned recently. If God is all knowing, why is it necessary to go to church to prove your faith or belief. You should be able to do that from anywhere and God will know.

It's nice we're all coming together. The bad guys are counting on us fighting and tearing us apart from within, but they forget we're all Americans. I can fight any American I want, but you can't.

The part I bolded is the main argument I use if I am debating the existence of an afterlife. Can heaven exist knowing the part I bolded is true? Heaven is this place where there are no bad things, no evil, and nothing but peace. I am curious to see what your thoughts are on this.

I've had that same thought, to be honest. We deal with a tremendous amount of challenges in this life. Are we permanently happy in the next life, with little to no opposition? Are earthly problems enough to sustain us through the eternities? My answer ultimately will be insufficient, as I clearly don't have all the answers, but I think I might be able to give a reasonable-ish response. Although, my response might actually give you more questions than answers lol.

The idea of playing the harp and singing praises to God forever sounds boring, pathetic, and uneventful. 100% don't believe in that. However, I fully believe in the idea that God's words never cease and his works never end. Hence, we'll actually be doing something meaningful, always, provided we seek it. Here are a few interesting scriptures that often get glossed over

-John 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
-1 Peter 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
-1 Peter 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

While on the cross, Jesus told the thief adjacent to him that he would be with him that very day in Paradise (In the Greek basically means the world of spirits, or abode of the disembodied spirits). Thieves don't magically go to heaven. Deathbed repentance is not a thing. But, it's possible that the thief never had the opportunity to fully receive the gospel. Much like billions of other people who lived before Christ, never knew he existed, or who simply died too young. This is the beauty of the Gospel - it's preached to everyone who ever lived. Christ organized the preaching of the gospel to the dead spirits who never had the chance to accept him. I believe those who really follow Christ would be embarking in that journey. Still learning, still teaching... and giving others the opportunity to accept these truths.

Christians believe Christ never sinned, which is something really extraordinary. So, where do his struggles come from? Where does he face adversity? He faces a TREMENDOUS amount of adversity. He is living through other people. His whole existence is through other people. He feels the intensity of their pain and struggles. The shortest scripture in the Bible is perhaps one of the most profound, "Jesus wept." He felt the intense pain of others who were mourning the loss of a loved one. So, just as Christ lived vicariously through us, we too would vicariously live through others who are still trying to find their way.

As strange as it sounds, I believe in the idea that life lives on forever. Perhaps worlds without ends. Why should it ever stop? Hebrews 1:2 says, "whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds." Yes, worlds. Plural. And in John 10:16, Christ explains that he has, "other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be cone fold, and one shepherd." Where are they coming from? Regardless, there is more work to be done for someone. Interesting enough, the word for God in Hebrew is Elohim, which is actually plural. The word should be rendered, "Gods" or perhaps "The Gods." And Paul tells us that he knew a man who was caught up into the third heaven (2 Cor 12:2). And Christ says that in his Father's house there are many mansions.

Guess I like to think of it as there are different realms. Different degrees of eternal glory. It's not binary in the sense of heaven and hell. And the faithful ones can have peace knowing they've done their best. Their personal problems are kind of non-existent. But, there's still a lot of work to do in bringing others along the way... and that's where the opposition resides.

Don't think God is receiving a daily load of 870 million work orders via prayer. I think he can intervene, when it's absolutely necessary. Most of the time, however, I think the Holy Sprit is the means through receiving answers. Direction, guidance, comfort, etc. through the thoughts in our head, as well as the feelings in our heart.

Not saying this was you, but some people have had this faulty belief that, "I'm going to have so much faith that God is going to have to answer my prayers." No. That's not how it works. Faith in God is accepting of His will and his timing - even if the outcome is the exact opposite of what we desire. If we were able to consult with God and lay a plan for how our life would look, we would request maximum happiness and success, with minimal setbacks and challenges. Here's what one wise person said:

"If we lived the life we wanted to live, we would always be accepted to our top choice university or graduate school, get the dream job, and marry our perfect soulmate with whom we would never have an argument. Our mothers wouldn’t get cancer, our fathers wouldn’t leave, and our siblings wouldn’t die young in tragic accidents. We wouldn’t lose babies in heart surgery, and we would never have to wait on the Lord’s timing. You get the picture. But we also wouldn’t develop any meaningful degree of patience, compassion, humility, longsuffering, loving-kindness, endurance, discipline, selflessness, or faith, hope, and charity. We would return to our Father in Heaven in just about the same state we were in when we left His presence, because we wouldn’t have experienced anything that required change or growth or our complete and utter dependence on God.

But we’re not living self-designed lives of ease. We are living the lives God has planned for our maximum joy and progression. So rest assured that the infinite and gentle love of God will invite you to make changes in your life through the experiences that come your way, both the bitter and the sweet. But He will always invite change in a loving, encouraging, affirming way. Don’t listen to the voices in your head—that may have been there from your childhood—that tell you you can’t change, you aren’t good enough, and you will fail yet again. Listen only to the whisperings of the Holy Spirit and “the pleasing word of God … which healeth the wounded soul that confirm your infinite worth and God’s loving reassurance that you can do it."

Don't know if this post sheds forth much light to you. There aren't really any easy answers to these questions, but I think that's part of the design. I don't believe God wishes us to have mastery of discerning truth with minimal effort, where we're not sorting through stuff, finding our footing, learning through personal experience, learning through trial and error.

I've had that same thought, to be honest. We deal with a tremendous amount of challenges in this life. Are we permanently happy in the next life, with little to no opposition? Are earthly problems enough to sustain us through the eternities? My answer ultimately will be insufficient, as I clearly don't have all the answers, but I think I might be able to give a reasonable-ish response. Although, my response might actually give you more questions than answers lol.

The idea of playing the harp and singing praises to God forever sounds boring, pathetic, and uneventful. 100% don't believe in that. However, I fully believe in the idea that God's words never cease and his works never end. Hence, we'll actually be doing something meaningful, always, provided we seek it. Here are a few interesting scriptures that often get glossed over

-John 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
-1 Peter 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
-1 Peter 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

While on the cross, Jesus told the thief adjacent to him that he would be with him that very day in Paradise (In the Greek basically means the world of spirits, or abode of the disembodied spirits). Thieves don't magically go to heaven. Deathbed repentance is not a thing. But, it's possible that the thief never had the opportunity to fully receive the gospel. Much like billions of other people who lived before Christ, never knew he existed, or who simply died too young. This is the beauty of the Gospel - it's preached to everyone who ever lived. Christ organized the preaching of the gospel to the dead spirits who never had the chance to accept him. I believe those who really follow Christ would be embarking in that journey. Still learning, still teaching... and giving others the opportunity to accept these truths.

Christians believe Christ never sinned, which is something really extraordinary. So, where do his struggles come from? Where does he face adversity? He faces a TREMENDOUS amount of adversity. He is living through other people. His whole existence is through other people. He feels the intensity of their pain and struggles. The shortest scripture in the Bible is perhaps one of the most profound, "Jesus wept." He felt the intense pain of others who were mourning the loss of a loved one. So, just as Christ lived vicariously through us, we too would vicariously live through others who are still trying to find their way.

As strange as it sounds, I believe in the idea that life lives on forever. Perhaps worlds without ends. Why should it ever stop? Hebrews 1:2 says, "whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds." Yes, worlds. Plural. And in John 10:16, Christ explains that he has, "other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be cone fold, and one shepherd." Where are they coming from? Regardless, there is more work to be done for someone. Interesting enough, the word for God in Hebrew is Elohim, which is actually plural. The word should be rendered, "Gods" or perhaps "The Gods." And Paul tells us that he knew a man who was caught up into the third heaven (2 Cor 12:2). And Christ says that in his Father's house there are many mansions.

Guess I like to think of it as there are different realms. Different degrees of eternal glory. It's not binary in the sense of heaven and hell. And the faithful ones can have peace knowing they've done their best. Their personal problems are kind of non-existent. But, there's still a lot of work to do in bringing others along the way... and that's where the opposition resides.

Don't think God is receiving a daily load of 870 million work orders via prayer. I think he can intervene, when it's absolutely necessary. Most of the time, however, I think the Holy Sprit is the means through receiving answers. Direction, guidance, comfort, etc. through the thoughts in our head, as well as the feelings in our heart.

Not saying this was you, but some people have had this faulty belief that, "I'm going to have so much faith that God is going to have to answer my prayers." No. That's not how it works. Faith in God is accepting of His will and his timing - even if the outcome is the exact opposite of what we desire. If we were able to consult with God and lay a plan for how our life would look, we would request maximum happiness and success, with minimal setbacks and challenges. Here's what one wise person said:

"If we lived the life we wanted to live, we would always be accepted to our top choice university or graduate school, get the dream job, and marry our perfect soulmate with whom we would never have an argument. Our mothers wouldn’t get cancer, our fathers wouldn’t leave, and our siblings wouldn’t die young in tragic accidents. We wouldn’t lose babies in heart surgery, and we would never have to wait on the Lord’s timing. You get the picture. But we also wouldn’t develop any meaningful degree of patience, compassion, humility, longsuffering, loving-kindness, endurance, discipline, selflessness, or faith, hope, and charity. We would return to our Father in Heaven in just about the same state we were in when we left His presence, because we wouldn’t have experienced anything that required change or growth or our complete and utter dependence on God.

But we’re not living self-designed lives of ease. We are living the lives God has planned for our maximum joy and progression. So rest assured that the infinite and gentle love of God will invite you to make changes in your life through the experiences that come your way, both the bitter and the sweet. But He will always invite change in a loving, encouraging, affirming way. Don’t listen to the voices in your head—that may have been there from your childhood—that tell you you can’t change, you aren’t good enough, and you will fail yet again. Listen only to the whisperings of the Holy Spirit and “the pleasing word of God … which healeth the wounded soul that confirm your infinite worth and God’s loving reassurance that you can do it."

Don't know if this post sheds forth much light to you. There aren't really any easy answers to these questions, but I think that's part of the design. I don't believe God wishes us to have mastery of discerning truth with minimal effort, where we're not sorting through stuff, finding our footing, learning through personal experience, learning through trial and error.
I appreciate you taking the time to put all of this together. TBH, you have always been one of my favorite posters on Rivals. No matter what your stance on something is, you usually have some concrete evidence or experience that you can use to back up your thoughts.

I will try and respond to your post as the points are made.

The idea that an afterlife being more than just a happy place has come to me more than once. It sounds great in a vacuum, but I have to be honest, living forever sounds EXHAUSTING. Granted, the only living I have done is here on earth, but the idea that you are living to fulfil more purpose in the next life, I'm not sure that sounds like something I would even enjoy.

What I do know, is that we are able to be happy on earth because we experience sadness, and we are able to be sad on earth because we experience happiness. One cannot be present without the other in this universe. It is impossible for me to picture a perfect world where we do not experience any wrong doings or opposition. What makes us happy on earth, would it make us happy in the afterlife without the same conflicting sadness? I have SO many questions. And so little answers.

I was having a hard time with my faith well before my mom passed. It is weird, in a way, that after her passing, I seem to have lost more faith, but gained a different faith at the same time. I will be honest with you, I don't see myself ever praying to a god again. Ever. There was one time when I reached out to "him" when I needed him most, and I got nothing. My mom was the greatest human being I have ever known. I challenge any man to watch their moms deteriorate in front of their own eyes and still keep a strong faith in the god you begged for help. Not only begged, but asked to switch places! I know this is getting a little personal, but this is a sensitive subject for me. I did not care if it was me sick, or hurt, or killed, so as long as my mom got to live. The only question I have is, why?

At the same time, I have never felt strongly about seeing someone after death. Until my mom passed. If there is anything I believe strongly in, it is that I WILL see my mom again. Somewhere and somehow. She is watching over me and waiting for me to come home.

That brings me to my next and last point for now. I find Christianity to be the most sane and logical of the world religions. But there is one glaring hole I can't get past, and that is, being accepted for believing. Allow me to explain. I have such a hard time grasping how a person could dedicate their entire lives to doing good, helping people, donating, yet they aren't accepted to heaven because they didn't go to church and accept Jesus. At the same time, you could have Hitler repent right before he died, and by Christian logic, he's getting into heaven.

Its basically god saying "do as I say, not as I do" which is pretty bullshit.

When the doctor told me I was literally killing myself. I spent many nights trying to sleep. I was trying to come to grips of death and what it might mean. I've settled on poof it's over. I'm not asking for anything in the afterlife. I have a hard time believe there is one. I do think we are energy and our energy will take new form, but there' won't be any consciousness to it. I think it'll be like prior to conception.

In the meantime, clean bill of health as of yesterday, and no longer killing myself. So poof....those thoughts are over...for now. ;

This past year has changed me. It's changed everything about me.
Gun to my head, I feel the same way about death. More likely than not, it will be just like before you were born.

I appreciate you taking the time to put all of this together. TBH, you have always been one of my favorite posters on Rivals. No matter what your stance on something is, you usually have some concrete evidence or experience that you can use to back up your thoughts.

I will try and respond to your post as the points are made.

The idea that an afterlife being more than just a happy place has come to me more than once. It sounds great in a vacuum, but I have to be honest, living forever sounds EXHAUSTING. Granted, the only living I have done is here on earth, but the idea that you are living to fulfil more purpose in the next life, I'm not sure that sounds like something I would even enjoy.

What I do know, is that we are able to be happy on earth because we experience sadness, and we are able to be sad on earth because we experience happiness. One cannot be present without the other in this universe. It is impossible for me to picture a perfect world where we do not experience any wrong doings or opposition. What makes us happy on earth, would it make us happy in the afterlife without the same conflicting sadness? I have SO many questions. And so little answers.

I was having a hard time with my faith well before my mom passed. It is weird, in a way, that after her passing, I seem to have lost more faith, but gained a different faith at the same time. I will be honest with you, I don't see myself ever praying to a god again. Ever. There was one time when I reached out to "him" when I needed him most, and I got nothing. My mom was the greatest human being I have ever known. I challenge any man to watch their moms deteriorate in front of their own eyes and still keep a strong faith in the god you begged for help. Not only begged, but asked to switch places! I know this is getting a little personal, but this is a sensitive subject for me. I did not care if it was me sick, or hurt, or killed, so as long as my mom got to live. The only question I have is, why?

At the same time, I have never felt strongly about seeing someone after death. Until my mom passed. If there is anything I believe strongly in, it is that I WILL see my mom again. Somewhere and somehow. She is watching over me and waiting for me to come home.

That brings me to my next and last point for now. I find Christianity to be the most sane and logical of the world religions. But there is one glaring hole I can't get past, and that is, being accepted for believing. Allow me to explain. I have such a hard time grasping how a person could dedicate their entire lives to doing good, helping people, donating, yet they aren't accepted to heaven because they didn't go to church and accept Jesus. At the same time, you could have Hitler repent right before he died, and by Christian logic, he's getting into heaven.

Its basically god saying "do as I say, not as I do" which is pretty bullshit.
I'm a 100% mama's boy.

Dad left when he found out she was pregnant.

I don't know what to say, but I'd lost without my mom. I call her every morning when I'm looking up meme's for the nonsense thread and drink a cup of coffee.

I like the idea of being able to visit again after our bodies expire.

I don't know where I"m going, your post just hit home and I started typing.

I'm really sorry for your loss.

Reactions: JimboBBN
ADVERTISEMENT