ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Transfer Thread***

It's interesting to contrast how Askew was perceived a year ago. Not sure many are saying the same thing today. Jeff Goodman was frequently raving about him.

“I’m higher on Devin Askew than most. I absolutely love him. Love him,” Goodman told KSR. “As a college point guard, I think he’s an absolute killer, just plays the right way. He’ll be a two- or three-year point guard, but I just think he’s got the winning DNA. I love him.”

It's interesting to contrast how Askew was perceived a year ago. Not sure many are saying the same thing today. Jeff Goodman was frequently raving about him.

“I’m higher on Devin Askew than most. I absolutely love him. Love him,” Goodman told KSR. “As a college point guard, I think he’s an absolute killer, just plays the right way. He’ll be a two- or three-year point guard, but I just think he’s got the winning DNA. I love him.”

Know your auidence...

Talking to Kentucky fans. For some reason he was being attacked by Kentucky fans.

But everything is there to be a basketball player for him.

Know your auidence...

Talking to Kentucky fans. For some reason he was being attacked by Kentucky fans.

But everything is there to be a basketball player for him.

Goodman is a bozo who gets attacked by UK fans all the time. I promise you that isn't the case.

He was wrong on Askew like everyone was. As for his future, he was bad at literally every aspect of basketball. Of course there is nowhere else to go but up?

Goodman is a bozo who gets attacked by UK fans all the time. I promise you that isn't the case.

He was wrong on Askew like everyone was. As for his future, he was bad at literally every aspect of basketball. Of course there is nowhere else to go but up?

You see the issue with college basketball especially on social media.

Players shouldn't put themselves out there.
Askew should be in high school.
Being treated like shit because Kentucky didn't meet their expectations and Askew didn't meet the expectations Kentucky fans had for him.

Anyone who can shoot 80%+ from the Free Throw line has a chance to be a great shooter.
Especially when the form is there.

What makes Askew a potential impact player is that he put ball on the floor as well.

Askew is a good piece

He shouldn't be the primary PG though

Terry is a Texas coach. Deep connections to the state but he was at Frenso State.

Terry may not have won there or recruited the players he needed to but he made connections.

Askew came through Rodney Terry.

End of the day Chris Beard interacts with the players though.

He is straight to the point and is aggressive.
People know Chris Beard wants to win.

He makes sure the players he brings in want to win as well.
Askew is winner. Guy cares about winning and will do what it takes to improve his game.

I like Washington.

But he will be another player who needs time to develop.
Askew vs Washington.

There is a chance Washington can step up early. Percentage is somewhat low.
I like Washington because he can impact the game in every way.

Maybe has more upside than Askew. But as of right now Askew is a better player.

Can be best for both

You see the issue with college basketball especially on social media.

Players shouldn't put themselves out there.
Askew should be in high school.
Being treated like shit because Kentucky didn't meet their expectations and Askew didn't meet the expectations Kentucky fans had for him.

Anyone who can shoot 80%+ from the Free Throw line has a chance to be a great shooter.
Especially when the form is there.

What makes Askew a potential impact player is that he put ball on the floor as well.

Askew is a good piece

He shouldn't be the primary PG though

... You clearly haven't watched Askew play
I like Washington.

But he will be another player who needs time to develop.
Askew vs Washington.

There is a chance Washington can step up early. Percentage is somewhat low.
I like Washington because he can impact the game in every way.

Maybe has more upside than Askew. But as of right now Askew is a better player.

Can be best for both

No he's not. Askew is a bad player now. Can he improve? Sure. But to say he's better than a guy who's risen up recruiting ranks is false.

... You clearly haven't watched Askew play

No he's not. Askew is a bad player now. Can he improve? Sure. But to say he's better than a guy who's risen up recruiting ranks is false.

I am not going to continue to argue about this.
Those rankings have errors.
More than that if you want to use rankings it destroys your entire argument because Askew was highly rated himself.

You are responding emotionally without thinking at all.

No reason to argue.

I am not going to continue to argue about this.
Those rankings have errors.
More than that if you want to use rankings it destroys your entire argument because Askew was highly rated himself.

You are responding emotionally without thinking at all.

No reason to argue.

Emotionally? LOL. I watched Askew suck all year. You wanna argue some is on Cal? Maybe. But he couldn't beat his man off the dribble, couldn't shoot from anywhere on the court AND was bad defensively. Cal had Jacob Toppin guarding PG's because Askew was so bad there. If you think he's gonna improve, I agree. But this isn't a Juzang/Charles Matthews situation where the guy just didn't get enough PT.

Askew wasn't as highly rated as Washington which is the point I was trying to make. He also is on the rise late unlike Askew who slid.

He was very tough to watch at times last season. He is a hard worker and I'm sure will be a great role player for UT. IIRC his 3pt% is among the worst all time at UK with a minimum amount of shots. I want to say 2nd to one of Saul Smith's years. Mix that with 2.0 t/o's per game and his lack of any defense. Made him tough to watch.

*99-00 season Saul Smith shot 26.96. Last season Askew shot 27.8.

Askew got playing time on a horrible team...
Wouldn't have received it as a true freshman.

The fact is that he received the playing time.
If you put Askew around other players who can score especially another combo guard or a true point guard Askew won't need to beat his man off the dribble

Askew can shoot, has a pull up game, has the floater and can get to the rim.

He was very tough to watch at times last season. He is a hard worker and I'm sure will be a great role player for UT. IIRC his 3pt% is among the worst all time at UK with a minimum amount of shots. I want to say 2nd to one of Saul Smith's years. Mix that with 2.0 t/o's per game and his lack of any defense. Made him tough to watch.

*99-00 season Saul Smith shot 26.96. Last season Askew shot 27.8.

Your team was tough to watch.
Some Kentucky fans blamed the players.
Frustration.

If you don't see the basketball IQ there I don't know what to tell you.

Your team was tough to watch.
Some Kentucky fans blamed the players.
Frustration.

If you don't see the basketball IQ there I don't know what to tell you.
Did you quote the wrong person?

If not, ok? I'm not following your response. Which Kentucky fans? Who's bb IQ? The fans or Askews?

It's great you're optimistic. I just threw out some stats. Do with them what you want.

Askew can shoot, has a pull up game, has the floater and can get to the rim.
NOV19-We-Are-Laughing-Eyman.gif

Agreed. Who's trashing him?

End of the story.

Askew isn't a true playmaker..

But he can be a playmaker if you put him around another guard.who is either similar to him or one that can get into the lane.

This was known before he came to college.

All of this dissecting his game by Kentucky fans just sounds frustration..

I get it. Not Askew's fault.

He was playing around a bunch of inexperienced players and he couldn't create himself.
Looked bad.

The Basketball IQ is there. You see it with him even when he doesn't have the ball.

I don't blame Askew for anything. It's just funny you think he can do all these things and people that actually watched him play all year say otherwise.

Because the ball was stagnant for Kentucky.
This has nothing to do with Askew.

When it wasn't you saw what Askew can bring.

The form is there to be a great shooter...
I care about the form more than the numbers after 54 shots in his freshman year

Because the ball was stagnant for Kentucky.
This has nothing to do with Askew.

When it wasn't you saw what Askew can bring.

The form is there to be a great shooter...
I care about the form more than the numbers after 54 shots in his freshman year
I am not even talking about his shooting. He can't drive, can't defend, is an average passer, and is too turnover prone at this point. Of course he will improve, it's nearly impossible not to. Also, he absolutely was a major reason the UK offense was stagnant.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
2 turnovers for a true freshman isn't a lot...
Again, you obviously weren't watching. You're looking at stats. If you had watched him play you would know the vast majority of his turnovers were easily avoidable, made by lazy passes on routine plays. It would be different had he been trying to make something happen. That was usually not the case.

Again, you obviously weren't watching. You're looking at stats. If you had watched him play you would know the vast majority of his turnovers were easily avoidable, made by lazy passes on routine plays. It would be different had he been trying to make something happen. That was usually not the case.

Frustration...

Why it was best for him to move on and in with an offense that is probably better for him.

Will be a solid fourth guard for Texas probably

I’ll be the impartial observer. Askew was not a good player and didn’t really show a lot to be as optimistic as Sheriff seems to be. He’ll improve though. Some tools are there, but I think it will take some time. Could end up being a solid college player.

To be fair to the kid, I think part of his issues were also scheme based. What Cal needed from him to be successful as a PG in that offense were things Askew was just not going to be able to do. It was not a good fit and I think it’s probably better for both parties that he left.

Guy is a bench player.
Doesn't matter to me.

Askew has the potential to be someone who can move himself and the ball quick.

Motion offense is all about movement.

Askew won't be asked to go iso that much.

Ramey coming back he can be the primary ball handler
They are also trying to get Wheeler.

I’ll be the impartial observer. Askew was not a good player and didn’t really show a lot to be as optimistic as Sheriff seems to be. He’ll improve though. Some tools are there, but I think it will take some time. Could end up being a solid college player.

To be fair to the kid, I think part of his issues were also scheme based. What Cal needed from him to be successful as a PG in that offense were things Askew was just not going to be able to do. It was not a good fit and I think it’s probably better for both parties that he left.

Absolutely. Cal whiffed on Cade and Boston + Clarke (RIP) were giant busts. Put the onus on a true freshman who wasn't ready. Cal should have moved him off ball a month into the year instead of with 3 games left. Might have worked. But Sheriff is talking like he's gonna be a big contributor next year, and if that's the case I think Texas is gonna disappoint quite a bit.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Absolutely. Cal whiffed on Cade and Boston + Clarke (RIP) were giant busts. Put the onus on a true freshman who wasn't ready. Cal should have moved him off ball a month into the year instead of with 3 games left. Might have worked. But Sheriff is talking like he's gonna be a big contributor next year, and if that's the case I think Texas is gonna disappoint quite a bit.

One year doesn't determine every player.
These players were only bust because they aren't Lottery Picks.
Because they weren't one and dones.

Askew is a playmaker.
He might not be the player who can take a player off the dribble..
Players move faster without the ball anyway.

Watch Ramey and Jones last year with Coleman.
Ramey and Jones are very smart players who can work well together and can work well with other guards.

This isn't even mentioning Wheeler if they bring him in..

Askew's job is simple.
Move the ball
Move without the ball

He has showed this ability and why people were high on him.

Askew does that he will have all the room on the floor.

Not every player can take a player on an isolation.
But what guards can do is see the game and move...

One thing that Askew always did that frustrated me was that he would always stop his dribble before he had a clear pass. Most players will keep their dribble, but he’d stop and get trapped every time.

Reactions: Montana81
Arizona's Jordan Brown is in the portal. Solid big who had to share a lot of minutes with Koloko and Tubelis. Averaged 9.4 ppg, 5.2 reb, 0.9 blk, 56% fg in less than 20 minutes a game. Could be a starter for most power schools.

So, like half our team is transfers at this point. Are other teams having this same experience or just Kentucky? I have no idea who's even on the roster right now.

And that is the whole reason why I started doing a preseason top 50 with rosters included. Keeping up with the turnover is impossible. I'm going to try and release my top 25 transfer recruiting classes in a week or two.

ADVERTISEMENT