ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Transfer Thread***

Jones isn't coming to Texas.

They are in with Wheeler. People are saying that Wheeler will come to Texas if there is a spot.

I guess they really want someone who can play the point and off guard
Why Harmon wanting to play only the point is crazy.

That is all Wheeler can play is the 1.

Utah's Pelle Larsson is in the portal. I'd take him in a heartbeat. He was a true freshman this year. 8 ppg, 3 reb, 3 assist, 46% 3-pt, 88% ft. Great shooter and athletic. Reminds me a little bit of Pat Connaughton.

Reactions: duckboy33
Jones isn't coming to Texas.

They are in with Wheeler. People are saying that Wheeler will come to Texas if there is a spot.

I guess they really want someone who can play the point and off guard
Why Harmon wanting to play only the point is crazy.

That is all Wheeler can play is the 1.
I hope there is a spot for Wheeler at Texas.

I hope there is a spot for Wheeler at Texas.

I have to really dissect his game.
I guess they wanted someone who could come in and allow Askew time at the point but also play the one with Ramey and Andrew Jones.

That isn't Wheeler. Could have been Harmon.

Harmon only wanted to play the point.

That is all Wheeler is. Wheeler vs Harmon is debatable. I can't say for sure who is a better player.

I guess they want to position themselves with his brother is what ultimately led to their decision

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Anyone concerned about Wheeler's efficiency? A true shooting percentage of 47% is not good (efg is 42.6%). Better than Caleb Love, at least.

Anyone concerned about Wheeler's efficiency? A true shooting percentage of 47% is not good (efg is 42.6%). Better than Caleb Love, at least.
That's why I said I hope he goes to Texas (UK is recruiting him too). He's a 5'10" PG that can't shoot and is a turnover machine. He can dish it pretty good if he can hang on to it long enough though.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Someone has to shoot the shots.

The issue becomes bad shot selection regardless of the other players on the court
The assist say that may not be the case.

His usage rate was probably extremely high at UGA.
He fits Chris Beard because Beard likes to get the ball inside. Very low percentage of 3 point attempts
His teams go the line a lot.

Ramey/Jones for the most part have settled for shots.
One of the issues with Shaka was the low # of Free Throw attempts.

Jai Lucas is going to keep the people in Houston happy.
That is by talking with Wheeler. Now I don't think any of us know if Calipari wants him.

Jai is going to be in his ear.
The Family is heavily involved in basketball in and around Houston.
Montana Wheeler has showed up to the John Lucas Camps.

Reactions: Montana81
UK is recruiting him too). He's a 5'10" PG that can't shoot and is a turnover machine. He can dish it pretty good if he can hang on to it long en

Yeah, those are two major red flags, IMO. Undersized guards are often defensive liabilities, too.

Is Marcus Carr the top backcourt priority for Kentucky?

Carr is up there, but they are reaching out to basically everyone that can dribble a basketball (and some that can't). 😬
I think he and Ty Washington are the top targets. We've got more, but from what I understand we've reached out to a few, but since TC's death, not much contact from the coach. Plus I think we're waiting on the official Antiqua news before continuing. Plus I think the NBA evaluations are a couple of weeks off. I also think that's what Mintz is waiting to see who else comes on board. At worst case we end up with Mintz and Hickman at the point and I don't think that's too bad. Carr would be a great pickup. I think if he doesn't go to the NBA, he's ours.

I think he and Ty Washington are the top targets. We've got more, but from what I understand we've reached out to a few, but since TC's death, not much contact from the coach. Plus I think we're waiting on the official Antiqua news before continuing. Plus I think the NBA evaluations are a couple of weeks off. I also think that's what Mintz is waiting to see who else comes on board. At worst case we end up with Mintz and Hickman at the point and I don't think that's too bad. Carr would be a great pickup. I think if he doesn't go to the NBA, he's ours.

Kentucky's biggest issue is they expect these freshman to come in and make a difference.

What makes you think Washington would be an impactful freshman.
I haven't seen anything to say that yet

Carr is up there, but they are reaching out to basically everyone that can dribble a basketball (and some that can't). 😬

I have a chance. then I'm 6'5 fat and can't dribble but I watched Devin Askew play 30 minutes a game. Realistically I can't do that much worse.

Kentucky's biggest issue is they expect these freshman to come in and make a difference.

What makes you think Washington would be an impactful freshman.
I haven't seen anything to say that yet
That's why we're going after experienced. Since Hickman decommitted something might be in the works. Cal is going after top transfers as well as young talent. He's definitely shifted his focus on recruiting. Ty wouldn't be the first option. As of right now, we have no point guard lol. So I definitely think something better is happening. Ty will most likely go to AZ. I'm guessing Mintz and hoping for Carr also.

Askew should have been a HS senior.

Did Kentucky think he was an one and done?

Askew should be a decent player before he is done.
Some things to his game you really like. Never will be an extremely unbelievable athletic talent. But not going to keep him from developing

Askew should have been a HS senior.

Did Kentucky think he was an one and done?

Askew should be a decent player before he is done.
Some things to his game you really like. Never will be an extremely unbelievable athletic talent. But not going to keep him from developing
He was an old Junior in HS.

Reactions: cdbearde
lol.....no. The problem is that every freshman that comes to Kentucky thinks they are one and done. Askew will never be in the NBA.
This is why the situation didn't work out.
Askew was blamed for the failures at Kentucky this year. But he is much better playing off the ball. Kentucky needed a point guard because of the other guards they brought in.

This was a player who should have been playing HS basketball last year.

To say some Kentucky fans didn't think a Top 20 player wouldn't be a one and done would be incorrect.

He is a lot better shooter than he showed his freshman year.
He is someone who could end up shooting over 40% from three at the college level.
You see it with his FT shooting. You see it with his numbers against elite competition at the high school level.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
haha

tenor.gif

Askew was blamed for the failures at Kentucky this year. But he is much better playing off the ball. Kentucky needed a point guard because of the other guards they brought in.

To say some Kentucky fans didn't think a Top 20 player wouldn't be a one and done would be incorrect.

He is someone who could end up shooting over 40% from three at the college level.
You see it with his FT shooting. You see it with his numbers against elite competition at the high school level.
Askew as a 2 guard is an even bigger liability than Askew as a PG. Dude can't beat anyone off the dribble nor can he stay in front of anyone on defense. You asked if Kentucky thought he was a one-and-done. I assumed you meant the coaching staff, not the fans. There are plenty of dumb UK fans, just like there are in every fan base. A slow, unathletic, undersized "combo" guard that can't do anything above average isn't exactly NBA material. Askew was also in the 30s (not top 20) in the 247 composite.

Reactions: RR30
I guess he's "transferring" from Europe. Don't know a thing about him.

Good luck to him dealing with Momma Miller
Haha! Nice to see she is still on the scene. I remember speaking to her when Adam was in 8th grade. Asked her where he was going to high school, as in what district do you guys live in, since he went to a private school. She then gave me a list of four schools she was choosing from. Ha. Let the recruiting and auctioning of her son begin! After a year at the public school, she took him to Chicago hoping to get on some reality show about basketball moms. Turns out she got on something else up there, one of his coaches. Lol. She’s a treat.

Askew will have a good career
I agree. I wanted him to stick it out here. I think eventually he could be a really good college player. But he is more than one off season away.

I’m actually a little pissed that he turned tail and ran after Cal invested as much time in him as he did. He was going to take a reduced role next season because that’s what was best for him and the program. But he was still going to get minutes. Dude played 30 minutes a game in a power 5 conference as a freshman. As bad as he was that experience was going to eventually pay dividends.

All that said I’d be surprised if he ever has anymore than a cup of coffee in the nba.

I agree with some of this. Askew did take a lot of blame for our failures. But you can’t put 9-16 on one player. I don’t think you can put that on the players period. A lot of those guys were plenty talented. And I think you’ll eventually see it. But the roster was poorly constructed. Cal had to scramble after they foolishly put all their eggs in the Cade Cunningham basket. They had to scramble again try and find a post presence on the transfer market.

The bottom line is when you replace your entire rotation with your option C and D recruits, expect them to struggle. Roster turnover finally bit us in the ass.

ADVERTISEMENT