ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
See above.

You literally said if he doesn’t get drafted 6th he’s overrated because composite has him 6th.
Lol it was pretty obvious that post was to get a rise out of you.

I clarified exactly what I think. He will be drafted between 10 and 15 which is pretty significant considering he is 4th on mock drafts right now. #Overrated

You’re pretty emotional about that take though, not a good look.

You will never out master bait the master baiter. I'd quit while yore behind.
He does have a lot of minions that will defend him on logic, that frankly he is very hypocritical on.

The argument I’m making on this is right up his alley.

Sounds like um is about to go all in on this dude for the final spot in 2022

Likely to be top 15 when rankings update

Reactions: bMORE607
He does have a lot of minions that will defend him on logic, that frankly he is very hypocritical on.

The argument I’m making on this is right up his alley.

You’re the guy driving down the wrong way on a road laughing at all the other cars driving the wrong way.

Sounds like um is about to go all in on this dude for the final spot in 2022

Likely to be top 15 when rankings update

tenor.gif

I clarified exactly what I think. He will be drafted between 10 and 15 which is pretty significant considering he is 4th on mock drafts right now. #Overrated

I don’t care if he does 6th or 10th to 15th

You’re full of shit.

Continuing arguing a guy mocked 4th isn’t overrated when he will be lucky to be in the top 10.

All the recipients will be here.

I never said Houstan is or isn’t worthy of his 6th overall ranking, just that hyper focusing on his draft position as an answer key is silly.

I never said Houstan is or isn’t worthy of his 6th overall ranking, just that hyper focusing on his draft position as an answer key is silly.
Just because it’s not an exact answer key doesn’t make it unworthy to make assessments off of.

That’s like saying we shouldn’t use composite rankings because they are never completely accurate.

Both are the closest thing we have to go off of for now.

Just because it’s not an exact answer key doesn’t make it unworthy to make assessments off of.

That’s like saying we shouldn’t use composite rankings because they are never completely accurate.

Both are the closest thing we have to go off of for now.

It’s not close to accurate enough to make sweeping statements like a player is overreacted at 6th because he was drafted #10. More goes into a composite ranking than just nba draft projection.

It’s not close to accurate enough to make sweeping statements like a player is overreacted at 6th because he was drafted #10. More goes into a composite ranking than just nba draft projection.
We are going to just have to agree to disagree on this point.

My expectations of the 6th best player in a class is that they have high enough potential that with the right development they can be a 1 or 2 option for an NBA team.

Houston has a higher floor than others, but his ceiling is drastically lower. IMO his best case scenario is a Mikal Bridges-type role player as a 3rd option.

We are going to just have to agree to disagree on this point.

My expectations of the 6th best player in a class is that they have high enough potential that with the right development they can be a 1 or 2 option for an NBA team.

Houston has a higher floor than others, but his ceiling is drastically lower. IMO his best case scenario is a Mikal Bridges-type role player as a 3rd option.

There are countless of NCAA player of the year level players that are roster fodder nba players, not 1st or 2nd options. Putting all the emphasis on draft position doesn’t make sense.

There are countless of NCAA player of the year level players that are roster fodder nba players, not 1st or 2nd options. Putting all the emphasis on draft position doesn’t make sense.
They are player of the year level in college by their junior or senior year. That doesn’t mean they should be ranked higher in their own class just because the best players leave well before that.

Only 4 NCAA POY’s have developed into 1 or 2 options in the NBA in the last 20 years, and all of them are underclassmen.

Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis, and Zion Williamson.

None of the other ones have even became solid 3 options in their primes. That’s pretty telling to what level of talent they usually have. And their rankings being somewhere in the 30 to 100 range for their own class isn’t surprising.

They are player of the year level in college by their junior or senior year. That doesn’t mean they should be ranked higher in their own class just because the best players leave well before that.

Only 4 NCAA POY’s have developed into 1 or 2 options in the NBA in the last 20 years, and all of them are underclassmen.

Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis, and Zion Williamson.

None of the other ones have even became solid 3 options in their primes. That’s pretty telling to what level of talent they usually have. And their rankings being somewhere in the 30 to 100 range for their own class isn’t surprising.

But that’s the point. We are on a college basketball board and you are completely disregarding college impact if all you focus on is nba draft position.

Hunter Dickinson was a 2nd team all American as a freshman. I don’t care that he isn’t on draft boards. That doesn’t change if he was the 10th ranked prospect or the 40th ranked prospect.

There’s plenty of nba forums where you might find Michigan fans who care more about their nba career than college impact, but this probably isn’t the place.

But that’s the point. We are on a college basketball board and you are completely disregarding college impact if all you focus on is nba draft position.

Hunter Dickinson was a 2nd team all American as a freshman. I don’t care that he isn’t on draft boards. That doesn’t change if he was the 10th ranked prospect or the 40th ranked prospect.

There’s plenty of nba forums where you might find Michigan fans who care more about their nba career than college impact, but this probably isn’t the place.
But that’s not the point of the rankings, at all. It’s to project who they think are going to be the best players. That includes both levels but with the way the game has trended with the top ones it should be an assumption they will be one-and-dones. That puts a lot of value on longterm NBA projections.

Your assumption would mean any of the kids that went to the G-league or another league like LaMelo shouldn’t have been ranked at all.

But that’s not the point of the rankings, at all. It’s to project who they think are going to be the best players. That includes both levels but with the way the game has trended with the top ones it should be an assumption they will be one-and-dones. That puts a lot of value on longterm NBA projections.

Your assumption would mean any of the kids that went to the G-league or another league like LaMelo shouldn’t have been ranked at all.

No, that is not my assumption. I don’t think it should ALL relate to college basketball or ALL relate to NBA basketball. Which is why I think using the NBA draft as the definitive answer key is wrong.

No, that is not my assumption. I don’t think it should ALL relate to college basketball or ALL relate to NBA basketball. Which is why I think using the NBA draft as the definitive answer key is wrong.
There is a certain level of nuance. Definitely.

But the very top guys are NBA bound regardless of college production in their first year, so they are kinda in a class of their own in terms of how you rank them.

Most of them would likely be contending for those same awards if they came back.

When the player is #4 on mock drafts right now and will be lucky to be a top 10 draft pick, is that not overrated?

Maybe you can help Hail out and get me the correct terminology to use instead. TIA

By the very strictest definition of the term yes that player is overrated. But that really isn't the question at hand here. The question is who gives a shit? The answer is absolutely nobody but you because it's such a ridiculously black and white way to look at something so nuanced.

Reactions: RichardMassive
By the very strictest definition of the term yes that player is overrated. But that really isn't the question at hand here. The question is who gives a shit? The answer is absolutely nobody but you because it's such a ridiculously black and white way to look at something so nuanced.
Clearly you care if you took the time to respond.

Still waiting on the correct terminology, so that I can say it without offending some of the more thin-skinned posters on here.

I’ve posted my thoughts into the nuance of the situation. Doesn’t change the fact that I called a spade, a spade and that has upset some on here.

It’s frightening that you think they’d rank these players off of what production the players will put up in their one year of college.

But to each their own.
College basketball recruiting rankings. Not nba draft rankings. Holy fvck dude.

• Haha
Reactions: bMORE607
Also is all of this over a guy who hasn't even been drafted yet or even played a single college game?

He is infatuated with trolling me about Houstan and thought bringing up his draft position would crush me.

I don’t even like the NBA.

It’s not about college basketball only.

It’s not about draft position only.
Clearly, which is why posting “It’s a college basketball recruiting rankings, not NBA draft ranking” as of their isn’t correlation Is beyond moronic.

It’s pretty clear that if you are considered an elite prospect for the NBA, you’ll be fine playing any level of college ball.

Not fvcking Garza, the best guys tend to not use all their eligibility. Was he in Zion's class? If he was it's Zion. If not idc, but it's not Garza. Pick some other guy who left after his freshman year because he was that good.
That’s been my point this entire argument…

Other people have chimed in saying it’s “college basketball” recruiting ranking, as if that means jack shit.

You are the king of finding one source and acting like it is consensus. There are many mock drafts out there:

ESPN #5
CBS #7
The Athletic #7
SI #8
Fox #10

That’s been my point this entire argument…

Other people have chimed in saying it’s “college basketball” recruiting ranking, as if that means jack shit.
I'm not really agreeing with you at all. Garza was never the best college player from his class. He might be the most accomplished based on individual awards, but that doesn't make him the best. I don't even think he was top 75 in his class.

You are the king of finding one source and acting like it is consensus:

ESPN #5
CBS #7
The Athletic #7
SI #8
Fox #10
I had 2 sources at #4.

And even adding in those, they still average out to being picked at ~6.5.

I seriously doubt he ends in the top 10.

I'm not really agreeing with you at all. Garza was never the best college player from his class. He might be the most accomplished based on individual awards, but that doesn't make him the best. I don't even think he was top 75 in his class.
That’s been my point, individual accomplishments at the college level don’t equate to being a better basketball player.

Garza was my devils advocate in this argument.

Recruiting rankings don’t, and shouldn’t consider what awards/accomplishments you get at the college level.

It very clearly leans towards where they think you can be as a player at the highest level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT