ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

You just watched what John Beilein did last season and with a straight face would tell me you'd rather have Archie Miller next season?
In all fairness, Beilein is close to retirement and Miller, IF he gets it rolling, could be a long term success due to his age. He did well at Dayton but IU and B10 is a different animal. He looks like his brother. Good recruiter and a good defensive coach. Average offensively. His legacy will be defined in March. He better hope he does better then Sean in that town! IU fans are kinda nuts in their expectations.

Having said that, Beilein is heading to the Hall of Fame and Miller is nowhere near that. But Miller hasn't coached forty years either. He was the best hire that IU could have had at the time and time will tell if he can have March success that is demanded at Indiana.

I think Miller has a bigger upside than Beilein, and many more years remaining as a coach. Thus far, in year one of recruiting as IU's coach, Miller has 2 top 50 recruits and owned the state of Indiana with Romeo, Phinisee and Anderson in 2018. It also strongly appears that 2019 promises to be a great recruiting class for IU. Miller proved that he can coachemup at Dayton. We will see what happens.
when Duke has 3 Top 5 recruits and Kentucky gets nothing but top 25 recruits on their roster, those recruits only make u competitive with the other blue bloods. Miller has a long way to go and will have to prove it on the court to build on that initial recruiting success. IU fans are understandably optimistic. It's a good base to build off of. And he is concentrating on home state talent, unlike that idiot Crean.

In all fairness, Beilein is close to retirement and Miller, IF he gets it rolling, could be a long term success due to his age. He did well at Dayton but IU and B10 is a different animal. He looks like his brother. Good recruiter and a good defensive coach. Average offensively. His legacy will be defined in March. He better hope he does better then Sean in that town! IU fans are kinda nuts in their expectations.

Having said that, Beilein is heading to the Hall of Fame and Miller is nowhere near that. But Miller hasn't coached forty years either. He was the best hire that IU could have had at the time and time will tell if he can have March success that is demanded at Indiana.
I think if you were picking a coach for the rest of their career starting today, Archie would have a compelling argument. But just as a snapshot for 18-19, it's no contest. Beilein is the answer.

I'll be interested to see how Miller handles things once the honeymoon phase is over. Remember this is a guy who lost home games by 20+ to Indiana State and Fort Wayne last season.

I think if you were picking a coach for the rest of their career starting today, Archie would have a compelling argument. But just as a snapshot for 18-19, it's no contest. Beilein is the answer.

I'll be interested to see how Miller handles things once the honeymoon phase is over. Remember this is a guy who lost home games by 20+ to Indiana State and Fort Wayne last season.

Honeymoon ended after game 1. There were some ups and downs. He’ll be just fine

And, it’s a guy who’s system was night and day different than the previous coach. His team also got better thoughout the year and finished 6th when most people had us around 10th/11th. I don’t think the ISU and IUFW are indicative of what we can expect going forward.

Agree with Klize, honeymoon phase is over. He’s got talent. He needs to make the tourney this year and continue to progress from there.

And, it’s a guy who’s system was night and day different than the previous coach. His team also got better thoughout the year and finished 6th when most people had us around 10th/11th. I don’t think the ISU and IUFW are indicative of what we can expect going forward.

Agree with Klize, honeymoon phase is over. He’s got talent. He needs to make the tourney this year and continue to progress from there.
I think you guys are romanticizing last season an awful lot. IU ended the season with:

73-71 loss@ Illinois
74-67 loss vs Purdue
71-56 loss @ OSU
63-60 loss vs MSU
65-43 win @ Rutgers
80-56 win vs Minn
78-68 win vs Illinois
84-82 win @ Iowa
57-66 loss @ Neb
78-80 loss vs OSU
76-69 loss Rutgers big ten tournament

A nice 4 game stretch against the bottom feeders and played Purdue, MSU, OSU tough at home but IU being tough to beat at home is nothing new. I get you guys have great momentum going right now but the notion you’d rather have Miller over any other coach right now is just asinine.

I think you guys are romanticizing last season an awful lot. IU ended the season with:

73-71 loss@ Illinois
74-67 loss vs Purdue
71-56 loss @ OSU
63-60 loss vs MSU
65-43 win @ Rutgers
80-56 win vs Minn
78-68 win vs Illinois
84-82 win @ Iowa
57-66 loss @ Neb
78-80 loss vs OSU

A nice 4 game stretch against the bottom feeders and played Purdue, MSU, OSU tough at home but IU being tough to beat at home is nothing new. I get you guys have great momentum going right now but the notion you’d rather have Miller over any other coach right now is just asinine.
Did I say that? Nope. If we’re talking for next year, I’d certainly take Beilein and probably Izzo. There isn’t any other coach besides those two that I’d trade for Miller.

And why are IU’s wins discounted but we hear about how good Purdue did last year? You guys didn’t have any significant wins, and lose more than any other B10 team returning. Y’all have as many, if not more question marks than IU. Both teams are likely to have a 1st Team All B10 on them, but past that, we have a lottery pick and more experience returning than Purdue.

Don’t understand why it’s so hard to give credit where it’s due. IU was picked to finish 12th and we finished 6th. I dont Care where the wins came from, wins are wins.

Reactions: KisteK

73-71 loss@ Illinois
74-67 loss vs Purdue
71-56 loss @ OSU
63-60 loss vs MSU
65-43 win @ Rutgers
80-56 win vs Minn
78-68 win vs Illinois
84-82 win @ Iowa
57-66 loss @ Neb
78-80 loss vs OSU

Did I say that? Nope. If we’re talking for next year, I’d certainly take Beilein and probably Izzo. There isn’t any other coach besides those two that I’d trade for Miller.

And why are IU’s wins discounted but we hear about how good Purdue did last year? You guys didn’t have any significant wins, and lose more than any other B10 team returning. Y’all have as many, if not more question marks than IU. Both teams are likely to have a 1st Team All B10 on them, but past that, we have a lottery pick and more experience returning than Purdue.

Don’t understand why it’s so hard to give credit where it’s due. IU was picked to finish 12th and we finished 6th. I dont Care where the wins came from, wins are wins.
Who is discounting anything? Purdue had a 30 win season and IU went 16-15 overall, are you really trying to compare the 2 seasons?

Show me one publication that had IU finishing 12th in the preseason. Not sure where you want me to give credit to Miller, it was an up and down season and pretty mediocre overall.

I'll bet a healthy sum of money Miller never goes to two title games in a six year window.
I'd be willing to accept that. When Miller gets "his guys". Gets his system implemented...Gets this as his program...Dude is going to do some damage. Two title games in six years? Possibly. It's hard as hell to do that. You need some breaks. Some luck. Sometimes the pieces fall your way. Sometimes they do not. But once Miller has had some time at Indiana, I think he's going to be a god damn monster.

You just watched what John Beilein did last season and with a straight face would tell me you'd rather have Archie Miller next season?
Absolutely, 100%. Did you happen to notice what Beilen had, and what Miller did not have? Yes...Give me Miller.
Dude. You hope Miller does what Beilein does at Michigan every year. Beilein has been to 2 national championships. Miller just went .500 in his first year. You guys are on dope.

Who is discounting anything? Purdue had a 30 win season and IU went 16-15 overall, are you really trying to compare the 2 seasons?

Show me one publication that had IU finishing 12th in the preseason. Not sure where you want me to give credit to Miller, it was an up and down season and pretty mediocre overall.
I can show you plenty. MOF, I created a thread over this very subject.

Reactions: SNU0821

Then show them lol

Dude. You hope Miller does what Beilein does at Michigan every year. Beilein has been to 2 national championships. Miller just went .500 in his first year. You guys are on dope.
Ok. We are on "dope" b/c a guy went 16-15, .500 in the Big 10, with a very, very, very limited roster. No true PG. No center. No depth. No consistent shooters. Yet he was a few plays away from winning 11 or 12 conference games.

Yeah.....Ok. We got a dud for a coach.Eyeroll

I’m taking about this coming season. Just like you mention wins against the bottom feeders essentially discounting the wins. Wins are wins. Yeah, you guys won 30 games, but was the B10 that good? You guys basically beat up on the bad B10 teams. What big time wins did you guys have? UM at home? What else? You guys didn’t win the B10. Looking forward, you guys have Edwards and that’s about it.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Ok. We are on "dope" b/c a guy went 16-15, .500 in the Big 10, with a very, very, very limited roster. No true PG. No center. No depth. No consistent shooters. Yet he was a few plays away from winning 11 or 12 conference games.

Yeah.....Ok. We got a dud for a coach.Eyeroll
Didn’t say that. I liked the Miller hire from day 1 but you acting like he is the best coach in the league because of last season is just plain stupid.

Reactions: joe for prez
Yup absolutely. All he has to do is google it. It was either 11th or 12th, can’t remember. It’s just funny people are already discounting Millers first year. Lol

Didn’t say that. I liked the Miller hire from day 1 but you acting like he is the best coach in the league because of last season is just plain stupid.
Not acting as if he's the best coach. Just saying I wouldn't trade him for any coach. Beilein is 65. Izzo is 63.

Miller is 39.

Miller just went .500 in a conference with a rag-tag roster. Now he has a Top 10 class coming in(Tops in the conference), and is gianing steam.

Why would I want to trade?

I’m taking about this coming season. Just like you mention wins against the bottom feeders essentially discounting the wins. Wins are wins. Yeah, you guys won 30 games, but was the B10 that good? You guys basically beat up on the bad B10 teams. What big time wins did you guys have? UM at home? What else? You guys didn’t win the B10. Looking forward, you guys have Edwards and that’s about it.
Lost @ Msu, vs OSU, @wisc. Won every other game which included @ UM @IU @MD before they were injury riddled.
Yup absolutely. All he has to do is google it. It was either 11th or 12th, can’t remember. It’s just funny people are already discounting Millers first year. Lol
I googled them. Found stuff like this. Show me one where they were predicted 12th.
Download-File

Not acting as if he's the best coach. Just saying I wouldn't trade him for any coach. Beilein is 65. Izzo is 63.

Miller is 39.

Miller just went .500 in a conference with a rag-tag roster. Now he has a Top 10 class coming in(Tops in the conference), and is gianing steam.

Why would I want to trade?
@CardinalBoiler asked you if you would rather have Beilein over Miller next season alone. Not caring about 7 years from now.

SOme of you kill me, man. You look ONLY at Millers record, and cast judgement. YOu pay no attention to the fact that he had NO PG. No center(injured). No shooters. Had to start a walk-on. Absolute zero depth. Yet He won 9 games in the conference. Had Indiana playing 100x's better in Feb, than in Nov/Dec. The defensive improvement was off the charts. Had this team been able to score? Well, they're probably an NCAAT team.

I love where we are headed. Class coming in is very good. And there are no signs of that dropping off; look for IU to get 2 of Brooks, TJD/Watford. The future is very, very bright.

But go ahead...keep gauging Miller on his record. We'll see where this is at come next March.

SOme of you kill me, man. You look ONLY at Millers record, and cast judgement. YOu pay no attention to the fact that he had NO PG. No center(injured). No shooters. Had to start a walk-on. Absolute zero depth. Yet He won 9 games in the conference. Had Indiana playing 100x's better in Feb, than in Nov/Dec. The defensive improvement was off the charts. Had this team been able to score? Well, they're probably an NCAAT team.

I love where we are headed. Class coming in is very good. And there are no signs of that dropping off; look for IU to get 2 of Brooks, TJD/Watford. The future is very, very bright.

But go ahead...keep gauging Miller on his record. We'll see where this is at come next March.
None of us are that dense. It’s one thing to be excited like Purdue football is with Brohm. But I’m not gonna say I wouldn’t trade Brohm for Urban Meyer either.

Reactions: KisteK
@CardinalBoiler asked you if you would rather have Beilein over Miller next season alone. Not caring about 7 years from now.
No, I would not. And that's a stupid question anyways. I mean hell, who would you rather have next year---for one year--------Painter or "K"? Painter or Cal? Painter, or heck, Brad Stevens. It's a bad question with no feet.

Belein is a terrific coach. Been to two National title games since 2012. That speaks for itself. BUT............in between he's also went 16-16, and has lost in the 2nd round. SO it's not like he's churning out FF's every year. Again, a very, very good coach. But I'll take our guy.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
None of us are that dense. It’s one thing to be excited like Purdue football is with Brohm. But I’m not gonna say I’d trade Brohm for Urban Meyer either.
Probably one of the worst comparison's I've ever seen. And I wouldn't be so sure some of you aren't that dense. Again, the question is stupid. It has no base. It's a question disguised to try and diminish waht Miller did, with such a rag-tag roster.

Probably one of the worst comparison's I've ever seen. And I wouldn't be so sure some of you aren't that dense. Again, the question is stupid. It has no base. It's a question disguised to try and diminish waht Miller did, with such a rag-tag roster.
Idgaf about giving Miller credit. It wasn’t the most depleted roster in the big ten. Nor the one void of most talent. It was about a .500 level talented team and he went .500 with it. Not saying they didn’t progress but he didn’t exactly do anything that made me say “Wow they are so much better now than they were with Crean.”

Idgaf about giving Miller credit. It wasn’t the most depleted roster in the big ten. Nor the one void of most talent. It was about a .500 level talented team and he went .500 with it. Not saying they didn’t progress but he didn’t exactly do anything that made me say “Wow they are so much better now than they were with Crean.”
LMAO...Your knowledge of basketball is worse than I thought. Crean won 7 conference games with a roster that had JBJ, Thomas Bryant and OG(19 games--was 13-6 in those games); 18 overall.

And if you couldn't see the difference between this team(especially defensively) and a Tom Crean coached team, then you probably need to quit watching basketball; or at leaast quit trying to discuss it.

LMAO...Your knowledge of basketball is worse than I thought. Crean won 7 conference games with a roster that had JBJ, Thomas Bryant and OG(19 games--was 13-6 in those games); 18 overall.

And if you couldn't see the difference between this team(especially defensively) and a Tom Crean coached team, then you probably need to quit watching basketball; or at leaast quit trying to discuss it.
Yeah if you only look at the bad Crean did and ignore the good. I know they were different stylistically but I’m talking about positive outcome. Your defense was better but offense much worse. My knowledge of basketball is just fine, thank you.

Idgaf about giving Miller credit. It wasn’t the most depleted roster in the big ten. Nor the one void of most talent.”
Who was more "depleted"? And exactly who did IU have just as much talent as? What team(s) did IU have and advantage over? I mean aside from the obvious. I know Minny had some issues. But who else was starting a walk-on, and a guy(McSwain) who at the start of the year, couldn't catch a pass? IU's starting b/c was like 53 out the 56 guards in the Big 10. Not sure there was a more inept PG in the league than Newkirk. Johnson, until late, had the worst shooting year of his entire career. IU had no center. None. Tallest starter(after Davis injury) was Morgan. Heavily relied on freshman and sophomores; with a walk-on starting 17 of the 28 games.

IU's line-up:

PG: Newkirk/Green
SG: Johnson
SF: Smith
PF: Mcroberts
C: Morgan

Bench: Durham, McSwain, Green/Newkirk

Outside of Rutgers, who's was worse?

Next year?

PG: Green(Jr)/Phinisee(Top 100 frosh)
SG: Langford(Fr.) Top SG in his class. Top 5/6 kid overall. Arguably best fresh in Big.
SF: Justin Smith(Solid frosh season. Came on late and shows star potential)
PF; Morgan(Potential CPOY. 1st teamer(Big 10)
C: Davis---6'10". offers some protection at the rim. Top 70 kid. When engaged, he can be a problem.

Bench: Anderson(4*), Phinisee 4*(think he'll start by Big 10 play), Hunter. Outside of Langford, he'll have the most impact as a freshman. Very good player(Top 50). Durham(up and down freshman year. Showed some flashes. Good, solid back-up at the 1 or 2. Race Thompson. 4* RS freshman.

I'm more than willing to bet we won't b second guessing Miller this time next year. Or any year after.

Yeah if you only look at the bad Crean did and ignore the good. I know they were different stylistically but I’m talking about positive outcome. Your defense was better but offense much worse. My knowledge of basketball is just fine, thank you.

THink the offense being much worse had anything to do with losing JBJ(17ppg). THomas Bryant(13ppg) and OG(12ppg)? Or losing our starting center? THink that had any impact?

The difference between Crean/Miller is substantial. Not even close. Yet here you are, comparing them. While defending your basketball knowledge.............Laughing Yeah, ok.

Absolutely, 100%. Did you happen to notice what Beilen had, and what Miller did not have? Yes...Give me Miller.

Actually if you go by recruting profile of guys on last years rosters, IU actually had very comparable talent to Michigan. Honestly probably leans a bit iu’s way.

Last edited:
This thread has turned into a cess pool. I like Archie Miller. I really do. But you guys are taking homer to another level right now. Clearly you are still in the honeymoon stage especially after the Romeo commit.

I like Miller’s idea of playing a pack line defense but it will open you guys up to some very slow paced games that will let less talented teams hang around. Bennett is the king of packline and we’ve seen how his teams have fared in the tournament.

Archie will recruit well at IU. Anyone with a pulse could recruit well at IU. The campus, tradition, facilities, night life, plethora of girls will sell itself to any 18 year old kid.

You guys just had an up and down year losing to Indiana State and ipfw in non con and then battling more talented teams to the end. I think you are a little early calling this a homerun hire simply based on your lofty expectations.

He hasn’t had the on court success yet that proves he was already a better hire than Crean. Maybe he will this season we will see but my god you’d have thought he won the big ten with 5 walk-ons last season the way you are already boasting.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Actually if you go by recruting profile of guys on last years rosets, IU actually had very comparable talent to Michigan. Honestly probably leans a bit iu’s way.
Doesn’t fit the narrative of Archie being a miracle worker going .500 though

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT