ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

Jackson is already gone and should probably just go to Europe now because he isnt going to the NBA.
Bruno is 99.9% leaving
Huerter is 95% leaving?

it seems I've read more about Bruno staying in school.. Twittersphere

might have even read Huerter stay ing as well.

it seems I've read more about Bruno staying in school.. Twittersphere

might have even read Huerter stay ing as well.

I honestly don’t know so I’m just going to assume the worst. Huerter tested really well and skipped the last day of the combine. Is that good or bad? I don’t know, I’m just going to assume a GM told Kevin this...

giphy.gif

Reactions: WheelerG and KisteK
Weird attack son. SNU, you are unusually hostile today. I read on the Hoosier Board that you think I got "run off this board". I don't recall it, so it might just happened in your head. I don't come over here because most of the posts are of little interest. I could care less about Iowa at a detail level, which many posts here seem to fall into.

As for Archie, I rank him in the "yet to prove himself" range. I did not put him at the bottom, but why not? Let's put him there now. He did nothing last year to impress me. 0-9 against tourney teams. Just about every coach ever fired from a BIG school was "successful everywhere he went", before coming to the BIG.
Lol. You’re seriously one of the worst Purdue posters on GBI, which is saying something. You did get run off here. You’re posts are trash and your hot takes on basketball are delusional at best. Just like last year. How did your take on IU go? How’d that work out for ya? Lulz. Please post here more often. It’s great entertainment for the rest of us.

As for Archie, well, he swooped in and got Romeo out of Indiana in a short period of time. Romeo had zero interest in Purdue. Why I wonder? He also got Phinese out of your backyard. He also got Anderson which Purdue fans were really hoping to get. As it stands right now, we’re in a better spot to land TJD and in a better position with Brooks than Purdue. I’m sure he’s going to just be ok, right? He’s got a top ten recruiting class. Where is Purdue’s? Lol.

Last edited:
Painter is pretty average. Not sure I’d go throwing stones.
So I think this is a pretty good jumping off point for something I was thinking about the other day. I'd be interested to see how fans view their coach compared to other conference coaches.

I would put them into three overly simplistic categories - (1) I'd trade for that guy; (2) they're basically even, no reason to switch; (3) I'm not trading for that guy. These can obviously be fluid year-to-year and include things such as age of the coach, the relative success of the program historically, the coach's success at their current program, and historical success as a coach elsewhere.

For Painter in 2018-19:

I'd trade for that guy:
Beilein - Michigan
Izzo - Michigan State
(although age makes both of these tougher)

Basically Even, no reason to switch
Holtmann - Ohio State
Gard - Wisconsin
Miller - IU

I'm not trading for that guy:
Turgeon - Maryland
McCaffery - Iowa
Pitino - Minnesota
Collins - Northwestern
Underwood - Illinois
Pikeli - Rutgers
Chambers - Penn State
Miles - Nebraska

Last edited:
I wasn’t crazy for thinking the DePaul talk wasn’t legit. Basically all of the insiders until maybe a day before said it was MSU.

DePaul got quite a player. Not sure if this commitment will stick, but this is huge for there program.

So I think this is a pretty good jumping off point for something I was thinking about the other day. I'd be interested to see how fans view their coach compared to other conference coaches.

I would put them into three overly simplistic categories - (1) I'd trade for that guy; (2) they're basically even, no reason to switch; (3) I'm not trading for that guy. These can obviously be fluid year-to-year and include things such as age of the coach, the relative success of the program historically, the coach's success at their current program, and historical success as a coach elsewhere.

For Painter in 2018-19:

I'd trade for that guy:
Beilein - Michigan
Izzo - Michigan State
(although age makes both of these tougher)

Basically Even, no reason to switch
Holtmann - Ohio State
Gard - Wisconsin
Miller - IU

I'm not trading for that guy:
Turgeon - Maryland
McCaffery - Iowa
Pitino - Minnesota
Collins - Northwestern
Underwood - Illinois
Pikeli - Rutgers
Chambers - Penn State
Miles - Nebraska

Guys I’d trade for:

Basically even no reason to switch:
Izzo - Michigan State

I'm not trading for this guy:
Painter - Purdue
Holtmann - Ohio State
Gard - Wisconsin
Miller - IU
Turgeon - Maryland
McCaffery - Iowa
Pitino - Minnesota
Collins - Northwestern
Underwood - Illinois
Pikeli - Rutgers
Chambers - Penn State
Miles - Nebraska

For two years recently now, an instate highly ranked guy that MSU has been after forever and had a great relationship with went to some random school under shady conditions, Brian Bowen being caught already.

If MSU really is cheating, we are doing a pretty crappy job at it. We just lost a highly ranked recruit to DePaul.

For two years recently now, an instate highly ranked guy that MSU has been after forever and had a great relationship with went to some random school under shady conditions, Brian Bowen being caught already.

If MSU really is cheating, we are doing a pretty crappy job at it. We just lost a highly ranked recruit to DePaul.

Dude give it up

Reactions: MGC_07
Apparently, Pitino is filing a waiver to try and get Pittsburgh transfer PG, Marcus Carr, eligible for the upcoming season. Don't know how likely it'll be approved, but it's worth a shot at the NCAA random decision generator.

Reactions: Da_Bull
So when MSU loses a recruit to Kansas it's shady,
and when they lose a recruit to Purdue it's shady,
and when they lose a recruit to DePaul it's shady..

Who does MSU lose a recruit to that isn't shady?
Asking for all my friends.
Mostly everyone. I think most MSU fans agree that Swanigan at this point was clean.

Kansas was shady because Kansas is shady. Most people agree the Josh Jackson recruitment was shady. And this one DePaul’s coach is under investigation, so by definition, it’s shady. Dumb point.

To be 100% clear, I never said DePaul cheated.

It’s just a fact that there coach is under investigation.

Somebody has to fill the massive posting void left behind by Gil.

If I only knew all the crucial stats of weems, maybe then I could make a rational judgment just how good he can be.
Well clearly as you can tell he was named the MVP of some random 3 on 3 tournament I’ve never heard of and was really good at some small AAU program, yet he’s dropping.

Clearly these ranking are against Iowa.

Reactions: jwardelt
Only Spartans think Jackson was MSU's if not for Kansas.

I guess it makes them feel .. better ..?

Northwestern revoked Jordan Lathon's scholarship today. Looks like back to the bottom.

Would you trade for Bo?

Guys I’d trade for:

Basically even no reason to switch:
Izzo - Michigan State

I'm not trading for this guy:
Painter - Purdue
Holtmann - Ohio State
Gard - Wisconsin
Miller - IU
Turgeon - Maryland
McCaffery - Iowa
Pitino - Minnesota
Collins - Northwestern
Underwood - Illinois
Pikeli - Rutgers
Chambers - Penn State
Miles - Nebraska

Would you trade for Bo?

Bo and Beilein are a wash.

Bo had a better floor than Beilein. Bo came in and did not miss the NCAA in two of his first three seasons like Beilein.

On the other hand, if Beilein had the same luck with player retention as Bo with guys sticking around four years then he probably has 4-5 Final Fours under his belt at Michigan.

Both are probably top 8-12 in the last decade or so.

You’re insane.

Not that he's the best in the league but I don't know that I would trade coaches either. I'm talking actual firing/hiring process taking place not another realm where Izzo took over after Knight/Davis/Sampson etc. Miller early on seems to be one of the few coaches in the B1G that has the capability to recruit at a high level along with coaching. To me Ward/Painter, maybe a few others but not to their extent are great coaches but not necessarily recruit at a high level. Beilein is in that group but has had some success recruiting. Turg to me is a Tom Crean who isn't weird, Izzo obviously is a guy that can do both, the rest are kinda pedestrian but good enough to field a quality team here and there. Miller to me is the next head of the conference, shocker eh? In a list I'd probably put him behind izzo, beilein and painter as of now, just ahead of ward. Those 3 in the past 5 years or so have kinda proved themselves in the league.

You just watched what John Beilein did last season and with a straight face would tell me you'd rather have Archie Miller next season?
I think Miller has a bigger upside than Beilein, and many more years remaining as a coach. Thus far, in year one of recruiting as IU's coach, Miller has 2 top 50 recruits and owned the state of Indiana with Romeo, Phinisee and Anderson in 2018. It also strongly appears that 2019 promises to be a great recruiting class for IU. Miller proved that he can coachemup at Dayton. We will see what happens.

I think Miller has a bigger upside than Beilein, and many more years remaining as a coach. Thus far, in year one of recruiting as IU's coach, Miller has 2 top 50 recruits and owned the state of Indiana with Romeo, Phinisee and Anderson in 2018. It also strongly appears that 2019 promises to be a great recruiting class for IU. Miller proved that he can coachemup at Dayton. We will see what happens.
I'll bet a healthy sum of money Miller never goes to two title games in a six year window.

You just watched what John Beilein did last season and with a straight face would tell me you'd rather have Archie Miller next season?
Archie has a hell of an upside and is recruiting extremely well so far. Beilein is clearly a great coach, but he is already 65 years old, who knows how much longer he will be coaching. Miller is only 39 and was considered a top coaching prospect coming out of Dayton, I think he will do big things. As of right now however, Beilein has already proven to be a great coach while Archie is still up and coming.

Thought I saw the dumbest username in history a while back on the Purdue board when someone posted under "Profile." But "willpueverplayinapril" might provide some stiff competition. Post reads very similar to the jabroni "TopSet80" or "TopSet81" or "TopSet82" or "TopSet83" on the free board. Welcome!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT