ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G Off-season Thread

“I'd bet the farm Indiana makes the tourney. Archie has a nice mix to work with. Johnson, Newkirk, JOnes, DAvis, Hartman, Green. I think McSwain will do well under a guy like Archie. Not to mention the necomers. There is talent there. I see a 20-10 type of year. 6 or 7 seed.” - you last summer.
Literally every IU fan on this board last summer. I think every IU fan thought they had a decent chance at making the tournament. It’s funny how the script flips in the off-season.

Literally every IU fan on this board last summer. I think every IU fan thought they had a decent chance at making the tournament. It’s funny how the script flips in the off-season.
Yeah and guess what? We finished at the top of my range in the B10. Yeah we missed the tourney and I thought we had a chance, but injuries also plays into that. I along with many others thought IU could be a 6-9 type team and were called crazy. It’s weird the same thing is happening now. Lulz. Acting like we were way off is literally funny.

When projections are made they are exclusive of injuries.

Reactions: klize17

It’s not like IU was all that far off...IU came up short but got closer than a lot of people thought they would

It’s not like IU was all that far off...IU came up short but got closer than a lot of people thought they would
I feel like you guys feasted on the lower half of the conference. What was your best win of the year? I mean, yeah, 6th was nice, but you guys bowing out to Rutgers wasn’t a great look. I get why IU fans might be optimistic, but don’t get sour when other fans aren’t that impressed with last season.

I feel like you guys feasted on the lower half of the conference. What was your best win of the year? I mean, yeah, 6th was nice, but you guys bowing out to Rutgers wasn’t a great look. I get why IU fans might be optimistic, but don’t get sour when other fans aren’t that impressed with last season.
And Purdue didn’t feast on the bottom of the conference? What was Purdue’s best win? UM at home? You guys didn’t even win the conference in a really down year. Y’all benefitted from having four seniors on the team that had been through plenty of tough games which helped them when it came down to games decided by a couple baskets. They had just been there before and didn’t fold. You didn’t rely on any of the younger guys outside of Edwards. He’ll be back but literally nobody else on your team provided much throughout the year. But if you ask all Purdue fans they talk about just how great they were last year. And when Purdue fans (not all) talk about Purdue’s season, it was really awesome and they did so good. But when IU is discussed, it’s well they beat up on bottom feeders. Lol. Both teams won enough games to get them where they ended up. It’s not like there will be notes in the stat books about what teams IU and PU beat and didn’t beat last year. Wins are wins. And the reason IU fans are defensive is because of comments like yours, which is essentially downplaying their season. Yeah we had three really, really bad losses. I get it. BUT, we did better than I thought in the B10. Our fundamentals looked like something I hadn’t seen under Crean. Miller showed himself to be a pretty solid coach in year one. I think the future is bright and it’s not crazy why IU fans are optimistic.

Last edited:
And Purdue didn’t feast on the bottom of the conference? What was Purdue’s best win? UM at home? You guys didn’t even win the conference in a really down year. But if you ask all Purdue fans they talk about just how great they were last year. Both teams won enough games to get them where they ended up. It’s not like there will be notes in the stat books about what teams IU and PU beat and didn’t beat last year. Wins are wins. And the reason IU fans are defensive is because of comments like yours, which is essentially downplaying their season. Yeah we had three really, really bad losses. I get it. BUT, we did better than I thought in the B10. Our fundamentals looked like something I hadn’t seen under Crean. Miller showed himself to be a pretty solid coach in year one. I think the future is bright and it’s not crazy why IU fans are optimistic.

Best win was at UM. Purdue beat them home and away.

Any team in the B1G that won feasted on the weak teams, the conference was that weak. Losing our starting center hurt and granted I don't think many saw us losing by 20 to Fort Wayne and ISU, the rest of the season went about like I thought it would. A few dissappointing games like Wis/Illinois at home and the Rutgers game but the progress the team made throughout the season was what we were looking for. Miss the tournament next year and then we can take our medicine. I'm still waiting to hear who thinks which coach will win the B1Gs next title.

Come on man you know that's not fair, Davis missed the whole BIG season, Hartman missed most of the season and Jones transferred at semester. Michigan was great and Beilein is one of the best but come on now.

You don’t see how those two posts read alike?

Bruno is back at College Park!!!

tenor.gif

If Huerter and Matthews leave, and Ward comes back, I’ll take a strong bet MSU finishes top 3.

And Purdue didn’t feast on the bottom of the conference? What was Purdue’s best win? UM at home? You guys didn’t even win the conference in a really down year. Y’all benefitted from having four seniors on the team that had been through plenty of tough games which helped them when it came down to games decided by a couple baskets. They had just been there before and didn’t fold. You didn’t rely on any of the younger guys outside of Edwards. He’ll be back but literally nobody else on your team provided much throughout the year. But if you ask all Purdue fans they talk about just how great they were last year. And when Purdue fans (not all) talk about Purdue’s season, it was really awesome and they did so good. But when IU is discussed, it’s well they beat up on bottom feeders. Lol. Both teams won enough games to get them where they ended up. It’s not like there will be notes in the stat books about what teams IU and PU beat and didn’t beat last year. Wins are wins. And the reason IU fans are defensive is because of comments like yours, which is essentially downplaying their season. Yeah we had three really, really bad losses. I get it. BUT, we did better than I thought in the B10. Our fundamentals looked like something I hadn’t seen under Crean. Miller showed himself to be a pretty solid coach in year one. I think the future is bright and it’s not crazy why IU fans are optimistic.

You Purdue had an unfair advantage because they had 4 seniors?

You know, that’s the way it is suppose to work.

Who was more "depleted"? And exactly who did IU have just as much talent as? What team(s) did IU have and advantage over? I mean aside from the obvious. I know Minny had some issues. But who else was starting a walk-on, and a guy(McSwain) who at the start of the year, couldn't catch a pass? IU's starting b/c was like 53 out the 56 guards in the Big 10. Not sure there was a more inept PG in the league than Newkirk. Johnson, until late, had the worst shooting year of his entire career. IU had no center. None. Tallest starter(after Davis injury) was Morgan. Heavily relied on freshman and sophomores; with a walk-on starting 17 of the 28 games.

IU's line-up:

PG: Newkirk/Green
SG: Johnson
SF: Smith
PF: Mcroberts
C: Morgan

Bench: Durham, McSwain, Green/Newkirk

Outside of Rutgers, who's was worse?

Next year?

PG: Green(Jr)/Phinisee(Top 100 frosh)
SG: Langford(Fr.) Top SG in his class. Top 5/6 kid overall. Arguably best fresh in Big.
SF: Justin Smith(Solid frosh season. Came on late and shows star potential)
PF; Morgan(Potential CPOY. 1st teamer(Big 10)
C: Davis---6'10". offers some protection at the rim. Top 70 kid. When engaged, he can be a problem.

Bench: Anderson(4*), Phinisee 4*(think he'll start by Big 10 play), Hunter. Outside of Langford, he'll have the most impact as a freshman. Very good player(Top 50). Durham(up and down freshman year. Showed some flashes. Good, solid back-up at the 1 or 2. Race Thompson. 4* RS freshman.

I'm more than willing to bet we won't b second guessing Miller this time next year. Or any year after.

Yup. Purdue fans are the only ones who think a top 5 recruit won’t be that big of a difference maker. Heard the same thing with Zeller. And with Yogi. Weird.

So 3 starters that were there last year when they had no talent and Miller was performing miracles? They’re suddenly great now?

Yeah and guess what? We finished at the top of my range in the B10. Yeah we missed the tourney and I thought we had a chance, but injuries also plays into that. I along with many others thought IU could be a 6-9 type team and were called crazy. It’s weird the same thing is happening now. Lulz. Acting like we were way off is literally funny.

When projections are made they are exclusive of injuries.

Injuries play a role? Then why do iu fans say Purdue blew it when Hummel goes down twice and Haas breaks his elbow in game one?

OSU was projected lower than IU this past offseason yet they finished second.

I’m sorry, but after 1 year, you’re crazy to think Miller is a better coach than Holtmann.

Miller may be the better recruiter, but based off of 1 year of results we have for both, the clear choice is Holtmann.

I’m sorry, but after 1 year, you’re crazy to think Miller is a better coach than Holtmann.

Miller may be the better recruiter, but based off of 1 year of results we have for both, the clear choice is Holtmann.

How about waiting say three years and then deciding. KBD was pretty damn good last year. I think both coaches are pretty solid which one was better is TBD.

How about waiting say three years and then deciding. KBD was pretty damn good last year. I think both coaches are pretty solid which one was better is TBD.
Not to derail this debate, but did IU insiders ever give an indication of who else IU would have pursued heavily if Miller would have passed or not been available? I ask because the timing of Matta's resignation obviously changed the dynamic from what it would have been if the OSU job was available earlier in the spring.

It looks like it worked out extremely well for both schools, but I have to think Miller would have given a hard look at OSU if it had been available at the time.

Reactions: KisteK
Not to derail this debate, but did IU insiders ever give an indication of who else IU would have pursued heavily if Miller would have passed or not been available? I ask because the timing of Matta's resignation obviously changed the dynamic from what it would have been if the OSU job was available earlier in the spring.

It looks like it worked out extremely well for both schools, but I have to think Miller would have given a hard look at OSU if it had been available at the time.

Probably Holtmann

The pecking order was Donovan and then Miller those are the two IU heavily pursued

I don't think making a definitive answer after one year is a smart decision.

Seeing the team progress last year, actually watching the team play defense, Miller securing the commitment of one of the best high school players to come out of Indiana since Gordon if not further, being close to securing the commitment of TJD, and being in on several other 5 stars and people question why Indiana fans wouldn't want to trade Miller? Holtmann did a great job last year at OSU, made some reaches in recruiting to fill positions, but just haven't seen the recruiting uptick i'd like to see from him, Archie stole the best player out of Ohio for this years Freshman class. Holtmann needs to start reeling in some top players.

Reactions: klize17 and SNU0821
Preseason top 10 or Illinois...doubt it was too tough of a decision.
I know it was awhile ago, but the only way that he was leaving was if Musselman left. Once it became apparent that wasn't happening, our mods said it was unlikely that Caroline would leave. Still, Caroline's camp told Illinois that he would want to come back if that should happen. The discord with the Martwins was likely just a rumor.

Reactions: klize17
Seeing the team progress last year, actually watching the team play defense, Miller securing the commitment of one of the best high school players to come out of Indiana since Gordon if not further, being close to securing the commitment of TJD, and being in on several other 5 stars and people question why Indiana fans wouldn't want to trade Miller? Holtmann did a great job last year at OSU, made some reaches in recruiting to fill positions, but just haven't seen the recruiting uptick i'd like to see from him, Archie stole the best player out of Ohio for this years Freshman class. Holtmann needs to start reeling in some top players.

NdNGbXC.gif

You don’t see how those two posts read alike?
Yeah but like Klize said, the numbers weren't that far off especially when you factor in key injuries and learning a new system. IU went into the Big Ten season starting a 6"5 center, a walk on who averaged 2ppg, and Josh "I'm going to throw the ball to the other team and take bad shots"Newkirk running point. They had the worst guard play I've seen at IU in a long time. With all of that Archie still did better in conference than most on this board predicted, along with Athlon, Lindy's, USA Today ect.. That along with securing the best recruiting class in the BIG in year 1 (#7 nationally) is why me and a lot of other fans are excited. Ultimately, time will tell if Archie is the right guy. So far he has killed it and I suspect he will continue doing so.

ADVERTISEMENT