ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
The posters in this thread made that decision in the 2020-2022 tourney, apparently you must’ve checked out due to Indiana not making the tourney.
Well, ummmm, no one made the tourney in 2020----though IU was certainly in...And well, IU was in the tourney in 2022.

Again----a comment such as "we don't count play wins here" is an insinuation that "here" is a pwerhouse....Which, well, ummm......no. Again, 2 total NCAAT wins since 2013. I mean not a flex I'd expect from a fan of a program who missed 8 straight NCAAT, hasnt been to a SW 16 in 17 years, and has 2 NCAAT wins since 2013...

Lol Illinois had its worst decade in program history from 2010-2020 and yet we’ve still likely been better than Indiana since the turn of the century.
Lol in what category? Seriously? In what category has Illinois been better than Indiana since 2010? Your hopes and dreams?

Don't overlook PSU----My BIG sleeper. I'd put them ahead of Iowa/MSU and Rutgers.

Purdue lost to much IMO, to put them in the same tier with MIchigan/Wisky----and Wisky is, well, I dunno. If Hep breaks out, and he very well could, Wisky could be pretty darn good.
Iowa has Murray/Perkins combo, Rutgers has Omoruyi/McConnell duo,Michigan St has No stars but they have a solid core in Hall/Hauser/Hoggard/Walker.

Edey alone will win Purdue at a bare minimum 10 games in Conference, if anyone else steps up they could be a top 4 seed in the BTT. If they got a legit guard they would’ve been conference contenders.

What the hell is this, coming from Champaign? Havent been pat the second round in 17 years....One shared B10 title in 17 years....Missed the NCAAT 8 straight years(2013-2021)---MOF from 2009 to 2021, Illinois missed the NCAAT 10 times...

Exactly WTF has Illinois done to be proven elitist? What, win one Big 10 title in 17 years, get prison raped as a 1-seed in the 2nd round in your first tournament appearance in 8 seasons....

Yeah, that shit has elitist written all over it...
Put down the pipe, weirdo. YOU guys are the ones coming into a thread for all Big Ten fans claiming only Indiana can reach these unreachable heights and practically insinuating we should all be thankful you’re “good” again - even before you are.

Then, when an Illinois or other team’s fan questions this, you literally accuse them of being jealous … of your literally hypothetical yet unlimited and unrivaled potential. That’s the weirdest Napoleon complex shlt I’ve ever seen, lol.

There weren’t multiple Illini fans on here acting like we owned the place in 2019 when we still sucked but had some nice pieces … heck, there aren’t really any NOW after we won the conference and have had the best record for three years now. Want to pick apart our accomplishments and talk about how bad John Groce was six seasons ago?? Lol, okay. Then you’re completely and utterly missing the point, because our fans are displaying more humility as defending champs as you are as hypothetical champs. Says a lot about the types of fans you have, if you ask me.

Illinois and IU will likely both be good this year … difference is, leaving it at that would rile up WAY fewer Illini fans than Indiana fans who frankly come across in this thread as desperate for validation for games they haven’t won yet and then proceed to ridicule other programs based on regimes that are long gone or “failures” (like getting a 1-seed and losing early or “only being co-champions”) that they haven’t even come close to in recent history. Think any Illini fan cares if you bring up how bad we were from 2010-2019? It’s about as relevant as how good we were from 1998-2007, dude: it’s not.

You should be excited about your current team and your program’s potential and stop expecting people outside of the state of Indiana to agree or frankly care.

Well, ummmm, no one made the tourney in 2020----though IU was certainly in...And well, IU was in the tourney in 2022.

Again----a comment such as "we don't count play wins here" is an insinuation that "here" is a pwerhouse....Which, well, ummm......no. Again, 2 total NCAAT wins since 2013. I mean not a flex I'd expect from a fan of a program who missed 8 straight NCAAT, hasnt been to a SW 16 in 17 years, and has 2 NCAAT wins since 2013...
The 2020-2021 season there was a tourney.

And “here” as in this thread, is where we decided they don’t count.

Lol one program in this thread has more wins in the tourney than Illinois over the past 3 years. Sad state of affairs, but true.

Lol one program in this thread has more wins in the tourney than Illinois over the past 3 years. Sad state of affairs, but true.
To be fair, are you counting the 2020 season? If so, MD is only 1 behind Illinois, and that with Turge!!

Since 2000 you dolt.
So if you randomly go back 22 years Illinois has been better. Going back 10 or even 20 years and IU has been better.

Again, congrats. You guys have a phenomenally amazing program that can't make a sweet 16, you should be proud.

Have you seen Illinois roster, starting 5?

Skyy Clark
Terrence Shannon, Jr.
Mathew Mayer
Coleman Hawkins
Dain Dainja...

I mean, thats pretty good....

Depth could be an issue....But their starting 5 is pretty damn solid.

Indiana, Illinois and Michigan....
Didnt' Dainja only average 2 PPG at Baylor? Going to be interested in how he does, and if Clark comes out the gate as a freshman for Illinois. I' m going to be really interested in seeing who their alpha offensive scorer is this season.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
Lol Illinois had its worst decade in program history from 2010-2020 and yet we’ve still likely been better than Indiana since the turn of the century.

Get a real win in the tourney and then we’ll take you seriously.
Sheesh.....

Illinois has had stretches of 11 years...18 years, 7 years and 8 years, missing the NCAAT----but 2010-2020 is your worst decade? 🤣 ...You've had stretches of 11 years with no B10 title...then 21...then 14, then 17....But 2010-2020 is your worst decade?

Since 2010, IU has 3 Big 10 titles, 3 SW'16's......Illinois has 1 and NONE.
YOu dudes had a nice three year run at the top with Weber.....2 B10 titles, 2 SW 16's and a runner-up. Which BTW, was your last trip to the SW 16...

I mean, WTF are you dudes doing in Champaign----eating led, and huffing paint?

So if you randomly go back 22 years Illinois has been better. Going back 10 or even 20 years and IU has been better.

Again, congrats. You guys have a phenomenally amazing program that can't make a sweet 16, you should be proud.
You have a great program that hasn’t made it out of the first round of the tourney in how long?

You should be proud!

Have you seen Illinois roster, starting 5?

Skyy Clark
Terrence Shannon, Jr.
Mathew Mayer
Coleman Hawkins
Dain Dainja...

I mean, thats pretty good....

Depth could be an issue....But their starting 5 is pretty damn solid.

Indiana, Illinois and Michigan....
Who? Outside of Skyy Clark (who I'm pretty sure is a true freshman) I don't know any of Illinois starting 5.

I do know that going from an All American big man to some dude who averaged 2 ppg last year is going to be quite the step down.

🤣

Illinois has TWO NCAAT wins the past three years, and you're flexing on that shit?

Who? Outside of Skyy Clark (who I'm pretty sure is a true freshman) I don't know any of Illinois starting 5.

I do know that going from an All American big man to some dude who averaged 2 ppg last year is going to be quite the step down.
If you don't know who Mayer or Shannon, Jr is, then my friend you need to watch more basketball.

You have a great program that hasn’t made it out of the first round of the tourney in how long?

You should be proud!
Things have been so bad for Illinois that they have to brag about round of 32 appearances instead of sweet 16s.

Sad.

You should be proud!
2016----When IU went to the SW 16....You do remember what that is---The SW 16....Right? You see thats the second weekend of the tourney----yes, there is a second weekend.

Sheesh.....

Illinois has had stretches of 11 years...18 years, 7 years and 8 years, missing the NCAAT----but 2010-2020 is your worst decade? 🤣 ...You've had stretches of 11 years with no B10 title...then 21...then 14, then 17....But 2010-2020 is your worst decade?

Since 2010, IU has 3 Big 10 titles, 3 SW'16's......Illinois has 1 and NONE.
YOu dudes had a nice three year run at the top with Weber.....2 B10 titles, 2 SW 16's and a runner-up. Which BTW, was your last trip to the SW 16...

I mean, WTF are you dudes doing in Champaign----eating led, and huffing paint?
2010-2020 is the lowest amount of wins and lowest win percentage for Illinois for a decade.

And yet still since 2000 Illinois has more tournament wins and overall wins than Indiana.

2016----When IU went to the SW 16....You do remember what that is---The SW 16....Right? You see thats the second weekend of the tourney----yes, there is a second weekend.
How would you know? You haven’t made it out of the first round in 6 going on 7 years.

Embarrassing.

Things have been so bad for Illinois that they have to brag about round of 32 appearances instead of sweet 16s.

Sad.
I can’t hear you from down there.

Get out of the first round and you can get a seat at the adult table.

We are really not bragging so much as responding to your fans’ initial, completely unfounded arrogance.
Which fans? Pretty much all my comments have been in response to dumb unwarranted comments from Illinois fans.

As far as rosters go IU fans have a right to be confident going into next season. Coaching however is a question mark still until proven otherwise.

Didnt' Dainja only average 2 PPG at Baylor? Going to be interested in how he does, and if Clark comes out the gate as a freshman for Illinois. I' m going to be really interested in seeing who their alpha offensive scorer is this season.
Yes, only played in 3 games... HAd a foot injury. Kid is gonna surprise people. Look for Mayer to be their alpha scorer, IMO...

Yes, only played in 3 games... HAd a foot injury. Kid is gonna surprise people. Look for Mayer to be their alpha scorer, IMO...
Could happen, I’ll believe it when I see it. Although Reese should do better vs him than Kofi from last season.

Mayer averaged 9 ppg at Baylor shooting 40% from the floor . If he's their "alpha" scorer I'm not sure that's a good thing for Illinois.

How would you know? You haven’t made it out of the first round in 6 going on 7 years.

Embarrassing.
Because in the 17 years since Illinois has been to a SW 16, IU has been there three times: 2012, 2013 and 2016...

Embarrassing is 17 years------not 6.

Because in the 17 years since Illinois has been to a SW 16, IU has been there three times: 2012, 2013 and 2016...

Embarrassing is 17 years------not 6.
Yet we still have the same amount as Indiana since 2000. And have more tourney wins in total.

Pathetic that you can’t pass us.

I just looked them up. One averaged 10 ppg and the other averaged 9 ppg. They're both nice players but they aren't all Americans.
Boz scores are misleading.....Look who these guys played around. They weren't options 1 and 2, or even three.

Mayer was a Top 80 kid----But he also played second and third fiddle to Cryer, Flagler and Akinjo.

Shannon played on a very, very balanced TTU team...6 huys who averaged 9ppg or more. He only played 24mpg, and was tied for 5th on FGA per game...

Box scores don't always tell the story...

Reactions: RichieRebel
Indiana and Illinois fans right now

AstonishingFrailCaracal-size_restricted.gif

Boz scores are misleading.....Look who these guys played around. They weren't options 1 and 2, or even three.

Mayer was a Top 80 kid----But he also played second and third fiddle to Cryer, Flagler and Akinjo.

Shannon played on a very, very balanced TTU team...6 huys who averaged 9ppg or more. He only played 24mpg, and was tied for 5th on FGA per game...

That’s what interests me the most about Mayer - last two seasons opponents were key on some of his other teammates defensively - now Mayer may be Illinois’s number 1 scoring threat , so teams will scheme to stop him - how will he handle that ?

Reactions: SIhoosier26

I'm not just talking about his ppg. Even with him not being a major focal point for the defense he only shot 40% from the field and 32% from three.

With him shouldering more of the load it's more likely for those numbers to get worse than get better.

That’s what interests me the most about Mayer - last two seasons opponents were key on some of his other teammates defensively - now Mayer may be Illinois’s number 1 scoring threat , so teams will scheme to stop him - how will he handle that ?
We won’t need anyone to be a true 1 scoring threat.

Expect Shannon, Mayer, Clark, Hawkins, Rodgers, and Melendez to all average between 8-13 ppg.

Dainja and Epps have a chance to get up there as well if we push the pace enough.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Yet we still have the same amount as Indiana since 2000. And have more tourney wins in total.

Pathetic that you can’t pass us.
Ahhh, so we move the parameters again?

Gotcha....

Pass you up in what?

IU has more of everyting, and this comes during a time of arguably one of the worst stretches in the history of Indiana basketball.

Two good seasons, and suddenly you dudes act like the 96 Bulls, or something.

I'm not just talking about his ppg. Even with him not being a major focal point for the defense he only shot 40% from the field and 32% from three.

With him shouldering more of the load it's more likely for those numbers to get worse than get better.
Thats a fair point, but the kid can play. Can he handle being the focal point? I dunno. ANd its not like he'll be Illinois only option----Shannon, Jr can play----Clark is the real deal...Look for Melendez to improve....Dainja IMO is a sleeper.

Illinois has a good roster..

Very good question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT