ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G In-Season Thread

Thanks. Such a fine line in college basketball. One play away from losing to Tennessee and one play away from beating Virginia. That’s basketball. It hurts but it is what it is. Like the trajectory of our program.

Let’s be honest it took Edwards to score the most points in 3/4 games whatever the stat was, Purdue was basically this years Davidson

Let’s be honest it took Edwards to score the most points in 3/4 games whatever the stat was, Purdue was basically this years Davidson
9tc69Pw.png

All I’m saying is this years run was more about have Carson Edwards than the program .

Reactions: SNU0821
Pretty funny/sad that an NIT team is trying to troll Purdue but I guess that’s all they have.

It was a great run by an overachieving team led by some pretty special performances by Carsen and Cline. I’m disappointed for the team and coaches they didn’t go further but am damn proud of what the accomplished.

Even if Edwards leaves (Which I would assume), I think the future is bright. Six of the nine guys in our rotation are underclassmen and I think Painter is hitting his prime from a coaching perspective. .

Pretty funny/sad that an NIT team is trying to troll Purdue but I guess that’s all they have.

It was a great run by an overachieving team led by some pretty special performances by Carsen and Cline. I’m disappointed for the team and coaches they didn’t go further but am damn proud of what the accomplished.

Even if Edwards leaves (Which I would assume), I think the future is bright. Six of the nine guys in our rotation are underclassmen and I think Painter is hitting his prime from a coaching perspective. .
I don’t think you guys are gonna be in the shitter next year or anything, but I’d guess it’ll be a couple years before you’re competing for a B10 title again. Thoughts? I was going on getting Wheeler a year of being the focal point, which I fully expect him to be, and guys like Thompson, Newman and Hunter some time to develop.

I don’t think you guys are gonna be in the shitter next year or anything, but I’d guess it’ll be a couple years before you’re competing for a B10 title again. Thoughts? I was going on getting Wheeler a year of being the focal point, which I fully expect him to be, and guys like Thompson, Newman and Hunter some time to develop.
If/when Carsen leaves I don’t see next year’s team really having any one player be the focal point. Pound the paint with Haarms/Trevion and surround them with shooters and let Nojel do his thing. Depth at the 4 spot is what I’m concerned about if Gillis isn’t ready to play at that level by then. Other than that though I like the depth Purdue will have at each position next season.

If/when Carsen leaves I don’t see next year’s team really having any one player be the focal point. Pound the paint with Haarms/Trevion and surround them with shooters and let Nojel do his thing. Depth at the 4 spot is what I’m concerned about if Gillis isn’t ready to play at that level by then. Other than that though I like the depth Purdue will have at each position next season.
I didn’t mean Wheeler would be like Edwards creating for himself or anything like that. I just think he could be your leading scorer next year and the guy to take the big shots when you need them.

I didn’t mean Wheeler would be like Edwards creating for himself or anything like that. I just think he could be your leading scorer next year and the guy to take the big shots when you need them.
Based on his recent play over the last 10-15 games, I wouldn’t put it past Haarms to be the leading scorer next season if Carsen leaves.

Based on his recent play over the last 10-15 games, I wouldn’t put it past Haarms to be the leading scorer next season if Carsen leaves.
Eh, not real sure about that. I feel like we said the same last year about him. I do think that in a couple years when Newman, Thompson and Hunter are older, y’all are gonna be stacked with good shooters again.

Eh, not real sure about that. I feel like we said the same last year about him. I do think that in a couple years when Newman, Thompson and Hunter are older, y’all are gonna be stacked with good shooters again.
No one said he was going to score more points than Carsen or Cline lol he was third on the team for the season at 9.5 ppg and averaged around 12.5 over his last 15 games I believe. I think Purdue should still be pretty stacked with shooters next season even after losing Carsen/Cline.

Good lord some of you all are way too sensitive. How about instead of getting upset like a little girl you make a rebuttal?

Maybe, he had his moments this year but also would get lost for big chunks of games. That could be due to Carsen trying to get his shots but who knows. I liked the Williams and Haarms at the same time. I can see Hunter and wheeler stepping up but think it’ll go back to the Purdue teams when they don’t have one dominate player.

Maybe, he had his moments this year but also would get lost for big chunks of games. That could be due to Carsen trying to get his shots but who knows. I liked the Williams and Haarms at the same time. I can see Hunter and wheeler stepping up but think it’ll go back to the Purdue teams when they don’t have one dominate player.
Yup. This

I think the best thing Painter had done is stack classes with good 4 year guys. His coaching is suspect at times, tries to get too fancy in key moments. Also I don’t know how much coaching credit he gets for letting Carson take step back 3s over and over while drilling them with a guy in his face.

Yeah they obviously won’t have an alpha like Carsen next season but structurally they won’t be much different. I think hunter/Newman will fill the Carsen slot, IT take Hunters role of being back up pg, Sasha fill Clines role, Wheeler for Grady but obviously be more aggressive than Grady offensively.

I think they’ll run a little more through the post but will still be a lot of pick and roll actions.

Nojel/IT
Hunter/Newman
Sasha
Wheeler/Gillis (?)
Haarms/Trevion

I think the best thing Painter had done is stack classes with good 4 year guys. His coaching is suspect at times, tries to get too fancy in key moments. Also I don’t know how much coaching credit he gets for letting Carson take step back 3s over and over while drilling them with a guy in his face.
I actually thought Painter called a lot of great plays in key moments especially against Tennessee. Like this one:

Last night it was a bad pass or else who knows what happens.

I definitely think next year should be a step back but I thought the same this year. Same as going into this year, I'm hoping for an NCAA tournament team and if they can sneak into the top 25, it will be an accomplishment. If Painter can finish top 4 in the Big Ten, I think most everyone will be calling him the new Bo Ryan (a few national guys already have).

The year after next with seniors Haarms and Nojel, juniors Wheeler, Stefanovic, Hunter and Williams and sophs IT, Gillis, Newman and ? will have a good chance of being one of those classic Purdue teams that doesn't look good on paper but just fits and ends up competing for a Big Ten title.

I definitely think next year should be a step back but I thought the same this year. Same as going into this year, I'm hoping for an NCAA tournament team and if they can sneak into the top 25, it will be an accomplishment. If Painter can finish top 4 in the Big Ten, I think most everyone will be calling him the new Bo Ryan (a few national guys already have).

The year after next with seniors Haarms and Nojel, juniors Wheeler, Stefanovic, Hunter and Williams and sophs IT, Gillis, Newman and ? will have a good chance of being one of those classic Purdue teams that doesn't look good on paper but just fits and ends up competing for a Big Ten title.
Yeah at this point I don’t know how you can keep doubting Purdue or painter in the pre-season. He’s clearly hitting a stride and you have to give him and his teams the benefit of the doubt. I don’t see Purdue falling out of a top 4 finish for quite sometime.

interesting stats from the game
Purdue 27-55 from the field [49.1%], 14-32 from 3 [43,.8%], 7-10 FTL.
Virginia 27-65 from the field [41.5%], 9-27 from 3 [33.3%] 17-20 from the FTL
good run by the Boilers.

Reactions: KisteK
Yeah at this point I don’t know how you can keep doubting Purdue or painter in the pre-season. He’s clearly hitting a stride and you have to give him and his teams the benefit of the doubt. I don’t see Purdue falling out of a top 4 finish for quite sometime.
giphy.gif

Bo never missed a tourney or finished worse than 4th. Pretty sure painter has done both multiple times.

Reactions: klize17
Normally I’d feel bad for any team that went down that way but since it’s purdue it’s kind of awesome. Shouldn’t have beat Tennessee anyway.

Reactions: klize17
For 3 straight years now you’ve undersold every Purdue team in the pre-season. Just saying I don’t know how many times they have to outperform your expectations for you to get it.
Wrong. This year I under sold them along with every single person here. Last year, I under sold their offensive capability, but got them dead right in terms of their B10 finish and tourney finish.

Wrong. This year I under sold them along with every single person here. Last year, I under sold their offensive capability, but got them dead right in terms of their B10 finish and tourney finish.
“Dead right” but you didn’t anticipate a 2nd place finish with a 15-3 record or losing in the S16 because of the Haas injury. Well played though Nostradamus.

“Dead right” but you didn’t anticipate a 2nd place finish with a 15-3 record or losing in the S16 because of the Haas injury. Well played though Nostradamus.
IIRC, I had them at the top of the conference but not winning the B10. Also said they wouldn’t make it passed the S16 which they didn’t. Yup, pretty spot on. I didn’t predict wins/losses for each team Blaire.

IIRC, I had them at the top of the conference but not winning the B10. Also said they wouldn’t make it passed the S16 which they didn’t. Yup, pretty spot on. I didn’t predict wins/losses for each team Blaire.
Well no shit I’m just saying context matters. That Purdue team last year was almost definitely better than this years Purdue team yet that team didn’t win the Big Ten and this one did. The Haas injury put a ceiling on the post season for that team. They were a top 5 team for the better part of January and February. You didn’t think they’d be that good.

Well no shit I’m just saying context matters. That Purdue team last year was almost definitely better than this years Purdue team yet that team didn’t win the Big Ten and this one did. The Haas injury put a ceiling on the post season for that team. They were a top 5 team for the better part of January and February. You didn’t think they’d be that good.
Oh, now context matters? Thought you’ve made it abundantly clear that it doesn’t matter especially when it comes to IU. How did they finish the regular season? How did they finish the tournament? How did that compare to what I predicted?

So no, you don’t get to claim context and injuries. I was dead right on now they finished. You were wrong. Own it. Move on.

Ok...I said it doesn’t matter if you don’t win it all. You win too. I guess. Last year Beilein is an all world coach. This year he sucks. Tell me how that makes sense. Same guy...same outstanding coach yet UM loses badly.

Thinking the ncaa tournament doesn’t matter if you don’t win it all is mindnunbingly stupid.

I just realized this is the first time since 2010 that Michigan State has been the final torch bearer for the conference (a shared honor with Purdue if the Spartans lose today).

Almost as bad as Michigan not winning the Big Ten in football since 2004....

I just realized this is the first time since 2010 that Michigan State has been the final torch bearer for the conference (a shared honor with Purdue if the Spartans lose today).

Almost as bad as Michigan not winning the Big Ten in football since 2004....

Uh, UM not winning the big ten in football in 15 years is far worse. MSU basketball has won the big ten and big ten tournament numerous times. We don’t even recognize the big ten tournament. We’ve also won the rose bowl, sugar bowl, been to the CFP, and won the big ten 3 times in that same time span. Now that you pointed it out, UM sure has sucked dong in football for a long time.

Laughable take.

Oh, now context matters? Thought you’ve made it abundantly clear that it doesn’t matter especially when it comes to IU. How did they finish the regular season? How did they finish the tournament? How did that compare to what I predicted?

So no, you don’t get to claim context and injuries. I was dead right on now they finished. You were wrong. Own it. Move on.
Wrong about what? That Purdue was just as about as good as I’d thought they’d be. Not sure what I was wrong.

Bo never missed a tourney or finished worse than 4th. Pretty sure painter has done both multiple times.
Yep. And Painter did both. But he's evolved as a coach and recruiter and now Purdue has finished no lower than 3rd five straight years. He didn't have the benefit of being a head coach for 17 years somewhere else before being thrown into the Big Ten.

I'm a big Bo Ryan fan and he had an amazing career. He won consistently and did it the right way. Matt Painter isn't on that level. But IMO he is trending in that direction and as I said, if he does it again next year without Carsen Edwards, that would just continue that trend.

Reactions: Da_Bull
ADVERTISEMENT