ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G In-Season Thread

He tends to be far more reasonable than you.
ePS6TZ.gif

I'm not sure PU could beat PSU. IU won by holding Stevens in check- who does that for Purdue? And you do remember that PSU beat the Va Tech team Purdue lost to,right?
you're probably right, you guys defend the FT line much better than us. Really a superb defensive effort to hold them 11-26 from the free throw line. We could not do that, that's for sure.

IU>Purdue this year, bottom line.

Purdue is a bubble team

Agree on Purdue. Jury is still out on IU IMO. You are certainly more talented but when I've watched them this year, it just seems like something isn't clicking.

I think Louisville and MD are comparable home wins. Arkansas and Texas similar road losses. Can’t really compare the others. Purdue would obviously lose at Duke. Idk if IU wins @FSU or against VT on a neutral floor.

The problem with equating wins vs Maryland and UL is that UL has beaten some decent teams ie MSU,Seton Hall and Maryland hasn't beaten anyone. I mean Maryland looks good on paper,and they seem to have talent. But their best win all season to this point has been PSU. IU also has a huge win over Marquette-who just beat Wisky and played pretty well vs Kansas.

Reactions: KisteK
Looking ahead, I see that Notre Dame is shooting 31% from three. I'm guessing they hit 12 threes next week against us.

Agree on Purdue. Jury is still out on IU IMO. You are certainly more talented but when I've watched them this year, it just seems like something isn't clicking.
Offensively, yes. And that is due to the rash of injuries. They have really hurt this teams progress.
Injuries, man. Just no real chemistry. When you have to practice with 7-8 guys, it makes it hard to get any type of consistency. So you see what you see on offense. Now as far as defense? I think we look pretty good. Tough to score on. I'm hoping now that everyone is basically "healthy", we will see an improvement on offense.

Offensively, yes. And that is due to the rash of injuries. They have really hurt this teams progress.
Injuries, man. Just no real chemistry. When you have to practice with 7-8 guys, it makes it hard to get any type of consistency. So you see what you see on offense. Now as far as defense? I think we look pretty good. Tough to score on. I'm hoping now that everyone is basically "healthy", we will see an improvement on offense.
That's fair. I've definitely been impressed with the defensive improvement. Outside of Duke, I'm not sure you've played anyone with a high level offense but it's hard to argue with the eye test on D.

Man, I hate Finals week. After having Big Ten games almost every day, we have 2 games Tuesday (MD and Minny) and one Thursday (Wisky) and none of the three play a team that is worth a damn. Everyone else is off until next weekend.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Man, I hate Finals week. After having Big Ten games almost every day, we have 2 games Tuesday (MD and Minny) and one Thursday (Wisky) and none of the three play a team that is worth a damn. Everyone else is off until next weekend.
Am I missing something, here? You guys dont play again until Sat*(Notre Dame). Then you have Ohio and Belmont at home. Then Big 10 gets into full swing; You have Iowa---at home.

I recall people saying that it’s not good for Purdue if they are relying on one player to scorer 23-25ppg and/or take 20 shots per game. I don’t think anyone knocked Edwards but rather said that if Edwards is relied on that much it’s probably not a good sign of other players stepping up.

They lost 4 starters. People said they'd struggle. Purdue fans didn't want to believe it.

They lost 4 starters. People said they'd struggle. Purdue fans didn't want to believe it.

This is what happens when you can’t take advantage of the success on the recruiting trail.

2015 - 37 (great two and done player, but otherwise meh)
2016 - 107 (just a one player class but struck gold)
2017 - 34 (role players with Wheeler a chance to be a star)
2018 - 48 (no immediate contributors)

This is the current team. Painter missing out on top targets in these classes has been an absolute killer. Now these players can develop and Purdue could begin to have a couple years of success but that was never going to happen this year.

Carsen dropped 40 points and the team lost. Painter has no one to blame but himself.

Unfortunately for Purdue fans 2019 is more of the same.

This is what happens when you can’t take advantage of the success on the recruiting trail.

2015 - 37 (great two and done player, but otherwise meh)
2016 - 107 (just a one player class but struck gold)
2017 - 34 (role players with Wheeler a chance to be a star)
2018 - 48 (no immediate contributors)

This is the current team. Painter missing out on top targets in these classes has been an absolute killer. Now these players can develop and Purdue could begin to have a couple years of success but that was never going to happen this year.

Carsen dropped 40 points and the team lost. Painter has no one to blame but himself.

Unfortunately for Purdue fans 2019 is more of the same.

A lot of folks have been discussing our newest assistant Steve Lutz (from Creighton) as to whether he's really made an impact as a recruiter. Granted, we've been in on some recruitments that we weren't in on before (Drew Timme is an example) but if we aren't landing the guys, is it really making a difference? Painter is simply not a salesman. He needs to either hire an assistant who can make a legit difference or he needs to hang out with Jeff Brohm and take some pointers. Brohm and his staff have closers and can punch above their weight class IMO. Painter needs to adjust his approach.

A lot of folks have been discussing our newest assistant Steve Lutz (from Creighton) as to whether he's really made an impact as a recruiter. Granted, we've been in on some recruitments that we weren't in on before (Drew Timme is an example) but if we aren't landing the guys, is it really making a difference? Painter is simply not a salesman. He needs to either hire an assistant who can make a legit difference or he needs to hang out with Jeff Brohm and take some pointers. Brohm and his staff have closers and can punch above their weight class IMO. Painter needs to adjust his approach.

He been there what two years?

34 and 48th ranked I’d say he hasn’t helped a thing.

Timme didn’t even visit so it isn’t like Lutz gave you much of a sniff.

KenPom Update: 11/26/18

7 - Michigan
8 - MSU

12 - Wisconsin
13 - Purdue

22 - Indiana
26 - OSU

31 - Nebraska
32 - Iowa
33 - Maryland
38 - PSU

45 - Minn
46 - Northwestern

95 - Illinois

114 - Rutgers

KenPom Update 12/10/18:

4: UM
8: MSU

13: Wisc
15: Purdue

20: OSU
21: Nebraska
25: Indiana
28: Maryland

38: Iowa
42: PSU
47: Northwestern

55: Minnesota

105: Illinois
109: Rutgers

Reactions: SNU0821
He been there what two years?

34 and 48th ranked I’d say he hasn’t helped a thing.

Timme didn’t even visit so it isn’t like Lutz gave you much of a sniff.

I don't disagree haha. I think he was the main person on the Okoro recruitment but we didn't land him so does it really make a difference at the end of the day? Who cares if we finished 2nd or 3rd?

Indeed. To be fair, even Purdue fans were all over the map. For example iirc I predicted 20ish wins and bubble team (i predicted NCAAT as a 8-10 seed) and some were more optimistic, but we were hard to project this year, even for those who follow closely.

Season not over yet, but right now looks like my preseason outlook was close, albeit slightly optimistic perhaps. B10 looks tough as nails this year, so will be a slugfest going forward imo

Agreed that since the Marquette game they've haven't looked "on" but to me the fact that they haven't looked great yet are still winning games against top 50 teams is encouraging. They have 4 top 50 kp wins this year, they had 3 all of last year.

Agreed that since the Marquette game they've haven't looked "on" but to me the fact that they haven't looked great yet are still winning games against top 50 teams is encouraging. They have 4 top 50 kp wins this year, they had 3 all of last year.

They just need one more threat from outside and hit some damn free throws. IU has won those games and are 310th in Free Throw shooting. The defense is impressive.

Reactions: SNU0821
They just need one more threat from outside and hit some damn free throws. IU has won those games and are 310th in Free Throw shooting. The defense is impressive.
Fortunately, your free throw defense is more than making up for your free throw issues. 12th nationally in free throw defense at 60.7% in damn impressive.

That may be Painter's greatest failing. To allow opponents to shoot 75.2% from the free throw line (324th nationally) is a fireable offense IMO. It's like he doesn't even teach free throw defense.

ADVERTISEMENT