ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* B1G In-Season Thread

Meh....I don't think Indiana has looked great. But I do think they look a ton more balanced than Purdue. In other words, we don't need Morgan or Langford to score 40, to lose a close game, on the road..... If we get 40 from one of those, we are probably winning by 15-20, vs a team like Texas. I say this b/c I feel IU is more balanced. ANd has more than just one guy that can go get buckets.
A ton more balanced? I would disagree with that but to each his own.

I had Indiana and Purdue about even going into the season. Indiana is about what I expected them to be. Purdue is worse than I expected them to be.
That’s weird because this is pretty much what I expected Purdue’s record to be at this point of the season.

More than welcome......Congrats. Carsen's gonna average 25 or so, as you said. But as others said, that's probably not a great thing. Saw that tonight.
nothing we've seen so far from Purdue is surprising, it's an all american with a lot of role players, a bubble team. Purdue has no bad losses and two quality wins (Davidson/Maryland). its schedule has been difficult

Reactions: otte21
Why? IU has Langford and Morgan. That alone sets the two apart. Then add Phinisee and Durham. Possibly Smith. Green is erratic. But he can go and get buckets. Davis is a guy who's starting to come along.

A ton more balanced may be a bit much. But certainly more options.

Reactions: herrli and SNU0821
nothing we've seen so far from Purdue is surprising, it's an all american with a lot of role players, a bubble team. Purdue has no bad losses and two quality wins (Davidson/Maryland). its schedule has been difficult
Agree. And that IMO is what most felt Purdue would be.

Exactly. Before the season I could not have predicted Purdue to win their non-conference tournament but they gave top 15 VT a hell of a game. Could not have predicted a win at top 15 FSU but they ended up choking that win away. Could not have predicted a win at top 10 Mich and they got their asses kicked. I thought a win @ Texas was possible but not a given by any means. I don’t know why anyone is shocked by this.

Why? IU has Langford and Morgan. That alone sets the two apart. Then add Phinisee and Durham. Possibly Smith. Green is erratic. But he can go and get buckets. Davis is a guy who's starting to come along.

A ton more balanced may be a bit much. But certainly more options.
I’d agree that Langford and Morgan are better than any 1-2 combo Purdue can throw out but after that it gets a lot murkier.

Look at it like this.....Put IU in the situation tonight, at Texas. If TX were to double Morgan, there is Langford as option 2. Not a bad option to have. If they were to double Langford, Morgan then becomes option 2. Again, not a bad option.

We saw what happened when TX took Edwards away.

Reactions: SNU0821
That’s weird because this is pretty much what I expected Purdue’s record to be at this point of the season.

"It’s time for a lot on this board to face the hard truth that both Purdue and IU are mediocre as hell this season."

Did you come into this season expecting Purdue to be mediocre as hell this year? I thought they would be a bit better than "mediocre as hell".

"It’s time for a lot on this board to face the hard truth that both Purdue and IU are mediocre as hell this season."

Did you come into this season expecting Purdue to be mediocre as hell this year? I thought they would be a bit better than "mediocre as hell".
Think they’re a 8-9 seed type tournament team. Aka mediocre IMO anyway.

Exactly. Before the season I could not have predicted Purdue to win their non-conference tournament but they gave top 15 VT a hell of a game. Could not have predicted a win at top 15 FSU but they ended up choking that win away. Could not have predicted a win at top 10 Mich and they got their asses kicked. I thought a win @ Texas was possible but not a given by any means. I don’t know why anyone is shocked by this.
No one is. Purdue is right where I thought they would be. I'd say that goes for most on here.

Purdue is one of the worst teams in the Big Ten this year and Texas was at home. Not that impressive.
Didn’t you just say Purdue was going to be fine after their game @UM? Lol you change your tune that quick or are you just getting on the hate bandwagon?

Look at it like this.....Put IU in the situation tonight, at Texas. If TX were to double Morgan, there is Langford as option 2. Not a bad option to have. If they were to double Langford, Morgan then becomes option 2. Again, not a bad option.

And Michigan. Edwards struggled and it was a route.

The thing is, without other people stepping up you don't even need to shut down Edwards. The guy scored 40 points on 57% from the field tonight. That's a GREAT night. They still lost. It's not a good sign when your superstar can have a career night and you still lose to an unranked Texas team.

I’d agree that Langford and Morgan are better than any 1-2 combo Purdue can throw out but after that it gets a lot murkier.
Meh......I'd take Phinisee over Eastern. IMO, not really close. Phinisee a better shooter, facilitator, scorer, etc, etc...Eastern a better defender. After that, its all probably a push.

Tonight wasn’t a balanced Purdue attack but they’ve had games where others have stepped up. Cline, Boudreaux, Wheeler, in particular come to mind. Just have to find a rythym.

Meh......I'd take Phinisee over Eastern. IMO, not really close. Phinisee a better shooter, facilitator, scorer, etc, etc...Eastern a better defender. After that, its all probably a push.
And I’d take Cline over Phinissee for this season alone for scoring purposes.

And Michigan. Edwards struggled and it was a route.

The thing is, without other people stepping up you don't even need to shut down Edwards. The guy scored 40 points on 57% from the field tonight. That's a GREAT night. They still lost. It's not a good sign when your superstar can have a career night and you still lose to an unranked Texas team.
Very true. Which is what most on here said all off-season. If Purdue was gonna have to rely heavily on Edwards, it could be bad. I mean, it ain't bad. But dude goes for 40, with a very efficient night, and you still lose. As you said----Not good.

And I’d take Cline over Phinissee for this season alone for scoring purposes.
Fine...Give me Durham over Eastern then. Better shooter, scorer and passer. Phinisee is a PG, btw. Its why I compared him to Nojel. That is where Painter has been playing him, right?

Is that where you had them preseason, too?

Is the defense as good as you expected it to be?
Yeah I thought their ceiling was a 5 seed type and floor was missing the tournament entirely. Defense has been a major disappointment for me. I think they showed what they’re capable of in the 2nd half of the MD game. I think Eastern, Haarms, Edwards, Wheeler can all be plus defenders and ideally they would all be in the starting lineup but Painter can’t get off the Grady train.

Really seems like Otte is realizing Purdue is pretty average this year and there aren't a lot of great pieces on that roster so he's trying to drag Indiana down in the conversation. Why even mention Indiana after Purdue loses to Texas?
giphy.gif

Mediocre as hell? They've had trouble closing out good opponents but the four losses are the KenPom #4 (by 19), #11 (by 6), #14 (by 1) and #37 (by 4).

The current SOS is #8. This is a terrible year to have such a difficult early season schedule and it was compounded by having to go to Michigan and host Maryland in the early B1G games.

Yeah I thought their ceiling was a 5 seed type and floor was missing the tournament entirely. Defense has been a major disappointment for me. I think they showed what they’re capable of in the 2nd half of the MD game. I think Eastern, Haarms, Edwards, Wheeler can all be plus defenders and ideally they would all be in the starting lineup but Painter can’t get off the Grady train.

So the defense is worse than you thought ("major disappointment") but you call me pretty weird for saying Purdue is worse that I thought? Sometimes I think you look too hard for disagreements.

Mediocre as hell? They've had trouble closing out good opponents but the four losses are the KenPom #4 (by 19), #11 (by 6), #14 (by 1) and #37 (by 4).

The current SOS is #8. This is a terrible year to have such a difficult early season schedule and it was compounded by having to go to Michigan and host Maryland in the early B1G games.
He’s referring to me, not his point of view.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor

Read the thread jackass.

Reactions: bMORE607
So the defense is worse than you thought ("major disappointment") but you call me pretty weird for saying Purdue is worse that I thought? Sometimes I think you look too hard for disagreements.
No I didnt call you weird for saying that. I thought the offense started off way better than I thought it would until the UM game so it kind of balanced out up until that point.

What as far as standings does one of the worst teams in Big Ten mean?
One of the worst teams in the Big 10 was a bit strong but they are definitely a back half of the Big 10 team this year.

Michigan
MSU
Nebraska
IU
Wisconsin
OSU
Maryland all look better to me

Even Minnesota, Iowa, and Northwestern have all had their moments, I see Purdue fighting it out with them for 8th place or so.

Purdue has a great class coming in and will likely be fine going forward. But like I said coming into the year, anybody that actually thought this Purdue team as anything but a bubble team is simply delusional.

You can't lose what they lost (adding in Painter's struggles in recruiting the last few years) while not missing a beat, it just won't happen. I was laughing at some of you who actually thought Purdue would stay in the top 25. There simply isn't enough talent there.

One of the worst teams in the Big 10 was a bit strong but they are definitely a back half of the Big 10 team this year.

Michigan
MSU
Nebraska
IU
Wisconsin
OSU
Maryland all look better to me

Even Minnesota, Iowa, and Northwestern have all had their moments, I see Purdue fighting it out with them for 8th place or so.

Purdue has a great class coming in and will likely be fine going forward. But like I said coming into the year, anybody that actually thought this Purdue team as anything but a bubble team is simply delusional.

You can't lose what they lost (adding in Painter's struggles in recruiting the last few years) while not missing a beat, it just won't happen. I was laughing at some of you who actually thought Purdue would stay in the top 25. There simply isn't enough talent there.

Idk if OSU looks better, but they still look good.

ADVERTISEMENT