ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G In-Season Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was brutal…..hasn’t really played well yet this year. We are going to need him at some point but it was telling that Colvin got his minutes down the stretch.
Fletcher was borderline disturbing tonight. Woof.

Finally a good night for the B1G.

Purdue beats Gonzaga by double digits.
Wisky rolls Virginia
Indiana rallies to beat perrenial power Louisville

Last edited:
Reactions: KisteK and jwardelt
An early look at KenPom's projected B1G standings:

1 Purdue 17-3

21 Wisky 12-8
22 MSU 12-8

28 Illinois 11-9
38 Iowa 11-9

36 Michigan 10-10
45 Nebraska 10-10
51 OSU 10-10

56 Maryland 9-11
57 NW 9-11

62 Rutgers 8-12
72 PSU 8-12

80 Indiana 7-13

109 Minnesota 6-14

Reactions: VulvHa
An early look at KenPom's projected B1G standings:

1 Purdue 17-3

21 Wisky 12-8
22 MSU 12-8

28 Illinois 11-9
38 Iowa 11-9

36 Michigan 10-10
45 Nebraska 10-10
51 OSU 10-10

56 Maryland 9-11
57 NW 9-11

62 Rutgers 8-12
72 PSU 8-12

80 Indiana 7-13

109 Minnesota 6-14
If we lose 3 games in this shit conference I might kill myself

If we lose 3 games in this shit conference I might kill myself
giphy.gif

Yep Gillis can’t keep making those mistakes as a 5th year senior.
I’m pretty curious if/how/when painter decides to curtail the rotation. Not saying it should be Gillis being taken out, but I think it behooves painter to get them down to an 8 man rotation by the tournament.

Depth doesn’t really do you a ton of good in college basketball, especially if those 9th and 10th players are making mistakes. Depth would help too if your team gets into foul trouble, but that basically never happens to Purdue

I’m pretty curious if/how/when painter decides to curtail the rotation. Not saying it should be Gillis being taken out, but I think it behooves painter to get them down to an 8 man rotation by the tournament.

Depth doesn’t really do you a ton of good in college basketball, especially if those 9th and 10th players are making mistakes. Depth would help too if your team gets into foul trouble, but that basically never happens to Purdue
I agree and think it will happen but the problem is it seems like each potential bench guy brings a different element to the table seemingly.

For the 4 spot between TKR/Gillis/Furst you have Gillis who probably pairs the best with Edey and is the most reliable shooter. Furst is the best defender/rebounder. TKR is the best at being able to get his own bucket.

On the wings you have Morton who is the most dependable overall and best defender but the lowest ceiling. Colvin who has been a knock down shooter with athleticism but is the most lost on the defensive end. Heide who seems to be the best rebounder of the bunch and has shown he can shoot it but is the least guard-oriented of the wings.

So I do think it will happen but going to be very interesting to see who separates/what Painter prioritizes.

Reactions: Chicubsfan24

10 seems like a lot but I don't know who the odd man out would be. I am glad he determined early on that Waddell is not gonna add to the logjam.

Gillis' shooting is gonna be needed come the half court grind of the Big Ten. He can't play like he did last night though.

Morton is the least talented and least effective offensively but he has some value as a plug and play defender. Like he actually defended Nembhard well in his limited minutes last night, and will likely get a shot at Knecht tonight.

Heide and Colvin are too talented to sit. Furst and TKR both have their place. I'm not gonna count out Loyer until it's a real trend of missing shots.

Purdue is deep but has some rotational issues for sure.

At the 5, Edey is the guy obviously, Furst is his backup. but TKR is a wild card as he's more of a traditional post than a 4
At the 4, TKR looks a lot better when he's playing with Furst than when he's playing with Edey due to spacing issues. Both Furst and Gillis see minutes here too
At the 3, Loyer is starting but Colvin, Heide and Morton are all options
At the 2, Jones is the starter with Loyer and Colvin filling in the minutes
At the 1, Smith is the starter with Jones his primary backup and Morton playing there as needed (hopefully very little)

In the frontcourt, I think Gillis is a better option next to Edey so I'd go those 2 and then bring Furst/TKR in as their backups. I'd actually like to see Heide get some spot minutes at the 4 but don't think it happens this year

In the backcourt, minutes should go Smith 32, Jones 30, Loyer 22, Colvin 20, Heide 16 but that leaves Morton as the odd man out and I'm not sure Painter will do that.

I don't think we'll ever get to an 8 man rotation but 9 is possible. I just hope it's Morton and Not Heide that sits.

Sadly, Brian Waddell looked really good in the offseason and showed he can play but no way can we go 11 deep. Hell, I think William Berg can play as well and will be a solid contributor next year.

Next year will be a cluster fvck. Morton, Edey, Jones and Gillis leave (don't think any will take a COVID year at Purdue) and we bring in 6 guys in Catchings, Harris, Burgess, Jacobsen, Cox and Benter. Someone else has to leave or one of those guys goes prep school (guessing Benter would be the most likely).

Good breakdowns by all of you. Yeah I don’t think it’s a huge problem, but it’s still an unenviable one. Personally, I’d start reducing Morton and Furst’s minutes, but I understand why painter plays them. I just think those two specifically make purdue easier to guard in the half court, and if they’re not creating run out baskets, that could be an issue.

JMO and not really a knock on those two players. I know I’d take them on Indiana in a second. But Paintner doesn’t really have the benefit of being fair to guys anymore. He’s gotta be a little cutthroat to ensure they break through in March

Good breakdowns by all of you. Yeah I don’t think it’s a huge problem, but it’s still an unenviable one. Personally, I’d start reducing Morton and Furst’s minutes, but I understand why painter plays them. I just think those two specifically make purdue easier to guard in the half court, and if they’re not creating run out baskets, that could be an issue.

JMO and not really a knock on those two players. I know I’d take them on Indiana in a second. But Paintner doesn’t really have the benefit of being fair to guys anymore. He’s gotta be a little cutthroat to ensure they break through in March
That's a good point. I like Furst but he hasn't developed the way I expected him to. If he wasn't in the rotation, I'm not sure we'd miss him this year.

5 Edey 32 minutes, TKR 8 minutes
4 Gillis 26 minutes, TKR 14 minutes (or TKR just 7 and Heide 7).

I'm really intrigued by what Heide can bring. Dude is a great leaper, has a nose for the ball rebounding and thus far, has been one of our better spot up shooters. He could easily play alongside Edey at the 4 if we needed him to IMO.

Purdue fans will hate this but he looks to be similar to Will Sheehey athleticism and skill wise (tho fortunately not a dick like Sheehey so far :) ).

That's a good point. I like Furst but he hasn't developed the way I expected him to. If he wasn't in the rotation, I'm not sure we'd miss him this year.

I'm really intrigued by what Heide can bring. Dude is a great leaper, has a nose for the ball rebounding and thus far, has been one of our better spot up shooters. He could easily play alongside Edey at the 4 if we needed him to IMO.

Purdue fans will hate this but he looks to be similar to Will Sheehey athleticism and skill wise (tho fortunately not a dick like Sheehey so far :) ).
We gotta stop the TKR at the 4 stuff. He's a valuable 5, he's just not a 4.

Furst has his issues at the 4, but the offense at least functions and he can really defend/rebound at that spot. And if we continue to play with this pace, he's gonna be valuable running the floor at the 4 - that's honestly when he's at his best.

I think the Heide Sheehey comp makes a lot of sense. I can’t remember where I heard that but someone else made that same comp a few weeks ago. Maybe Ant Wright when he was on Titus’s pod.

It’s a really interesting team, and I think are quite a bit better than they were last year. Painter will just have to push the right buttons.

I will say I think I’m higher on the elite teams (sans Kansas) this year than I was last year. I think there are more truly great teams this year. UConn and Kansas are worse than last years versions but I think both of their version this year would be top 5 teams last year (if that makes sense). And then I think Houston, Tennessee, purdue, Duke, Arizona, Marquette are all varying degrees of better to way better. Kentucky is a sleeping giant too. Should be a really fun year.

Reactions: boilerzz
Did I stumble onto the Purdue homoboard?

Curious to see how you do vs Tennessee.

Finally a good night for the B1G.

Purdue beats Gonzaga by double digits.
Wisky rolls Virginia
Indiana rallies to beat perrenial power Louisville
Agree----It was a Farleigh good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT