ADVERTISEMENT

Official 2022 Transfer Portal Thread

Thoughts @dukedevilz? I remember him in the Ohio-UVA game a little bit. How do you see him fitting him with the current UVA roster? Is a poor man's Brady Manek a fair comparison?

Louisvile finally landing one instead of losing a transfer, Hunter-Hatfield out of Tennessee.

I like his game, hopefully he can take a nice step up consistency wise and we are up to 7 players so hes got unlimited PT atm lol. Seemed like a weird transfer since i figured he would have unlimited PT next year at tenn since fulks finally gone right?

Sorry i dont have the details to his contract 🤣 im guessin 2 years 500k a year 🤷‍♂️Third year player option.

If only we didnt have an unchecked lazy mod to combine all these transfer threads into one. 😉

Thoughts @dukedevilz? I remember him in the Ohio-UVA game a little bit. How do you see him fitting him with the current UVA roster? Is a poor man's Brady Manek a fair comparison?

I would bet that Gardner and Shedrick continue to start in the frontcourt. But, Ben Vander Plas should be a valuable 6th man. It will be interesting to see how Bennett utilizes him. I think he can adequately defend the 4 or 5. He's a skilled player, and certainly provides a lot more offense than Shedrick or Caffaro. I'd like to think he eats up most of Caffaro's minutes.

He operates in a similar fashion to Manek. Hangs out a lot on the perimeter. He does the whole screen and pop to the corner for a three, ala Manek. He's not as a good as a shooter or athlete, though. And I certainly wouldn't have Manek-type expectations for him. But, BVP is actually a pretty good facilitator for a big guy. Really good vision. And I actually like his post game a little better than his outside game. Good footwork, nice touch within 8-10 feet. Just tough to get him many touches in the post as Jason Carter was used frequently on the low block.

As a defender, I like him in his man-to-man defense. Fairly high motor, very active hands. Seriously active hands; dude always seemed to be swiping at someone. I feel like he's a little slow on switches, however. I saw Ryan Rollins (Toledo) embarrass him several times on pick-and-rolls. To be fair, Rollins can do that to anyone. So overall, I'd say good skillset. Can play inside or outside - and he's an adequate defender. I suspect even if he doesn't start that Bennett will use him during the end-of-games to provide more scoring opportunities for UVA.

Reactions: jhmossy
Louisvile finally landing one instead of losing a transfer, Hunter-Hatfield out of Tennessee.

I like his game, hopefully he can take a nice step up consistency wise and we are up to 7 players so hes got unlimited PT atm lol. Seemed like a weird transfer since i figured he would have unlimited PT next year at tenn since fulks finally gone right?

Sorry i dont have the details to his contract 🤣 im guessin 2 years 500k a year 🤷‍♂️Third year player option.
Congrats on the pick up. Our loss is your gain. I think he is be an outstanding player with time. He has soft hands with the basketball.

Reactions: Villian07
Congrats on the pick up. Our loss is your gain. I think he is be an outstanding player with time. He has soft hands with the basketball.
Any reason why he left. Seems like he woulda stepped right into fulks mins. Yall bringing in a stud frosh?

Any reason why he left. Seems like he woulda stepped right into fulks mins. Yall bringing in a stud frosh?
Id send mckoy or whatever paxking in a heartbeat, hes terrible. Had to play a bunch vs baylor didnt look like he could dribble the ball down an empty court.

He wanted guaranteed minutes and Barnes doesn't negotiate playing time. I think Fulks minutes had a lot to do with loyalty. He was not that great of a player. The guy you got should develop into a great player, he was just young and inexperienced.

He wanted guaranteed minutes and Barnes doesn't negotiate playing time. I think Fulks minutes had a lot to do with loyalty. He was not that great of a player. The guy you got should develop into a great player, he was just young and inexperienced.
Yea i jist meant since fulks is finally gone, seems like he woulda be a shoe in to start next year, but idk much about yalls roster.

So you're saying Payne guaranteed him playing time? Hahaha, what a beta.

• Wow
Reactions: della
I didn't say that you crazy cat! I just mentioned the situation at UT.
UOu.gif

Cal is going after Baylor Scheierman, which put Antonio Reeves on hold. I think he's also waiting for a couple of 2022's to sign or not sign. And according to him, the Sharpe to NBA is not a done deal, but we all know it is. The NBA hasn't approved him yet. But they will, doesn't make sense for them not to.

And then there's Brooks..

I'm probably the minority but I love the portal. It's extending basketball conversation. I haven't heard of some of these guys, now they are on the map.
Same, although it's a big kick in the nuts to all the mid-majors. They find the diamonds in the rough that nobody else offered coming out of HS then after a year or two they are getting plucked away once they blow up. Similar to how it is in MLB when small market teams draft and develop young talent then can't afford to keep them once their rookie contracts expire and the big spenders start throwing around the big bucks.

Same, although it's a big kick in the nuts to all the mid-majors. They find the diamonds in the rough that nobody else offered coming out of HS then after a year or two they are getting plucked away once they blow up. Similar to how it is in MLB when small market teams draft and develop young talent then can't afford to keep them once their rookie contracts expire and the big spenders start throwing around the big bucks.
I see your angle.
I'm liking the entire process. Guys moving up, guys dropping down, guys moving lateral. Etc. Fans making big deals about it, then in 6 months they are getting no ROI on it. Or maybe the jackpot. The biggest losers might be that lower level P6 teams. Look @ Iowa St and Hunter. KSU and Pack. Entire LSU and S. Carolina former rosters just bouncing. Etc... Whose game is gonna transmit? Who is gonna be a turd?

Love it.

I see your angle.
I'm liking the entire process. Guys moving up, guys dropping down, guys moving lateral. Etc. Fans making big deals about it, then in 6 months they are getting no ROI on it. Or maybe the jackpot. The biggest losers might be that lower level P6 teams. Look @ Iowa St and Hunter. KSU and Pack. Entire LSU and S. Carolina former rosters just bouncing. Etc... Whose game is gonna transmit? Who is gonna be a turd?

Love it.
Overall I like it too, especially as a fan of a program that has massive roster turnover every season. It's a lot easier to fill those holes with proven players rather than having to relying completely on incoming freshman or being limited only to grad transfers.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT