***Official 2019 B1G Off Season thread***

Who is the worst Purdue poster?

• Pig1960

• Proudopete

• Joe for prez

• JohnHoosierr

• Graham Couch

Results are only viewable after voting.
No, he inherited a guy coming off a lost season due to a stress fracture who was a career 8 ppg scorer. Holtmann helped make him into the BTPOY.
So he inherited a guy who was the B10POY? KBD was also a Top 25 recruit. Lol at acting like KBD was some scrub and Holtman magically made him into the B10POY.

Crean took over a much much worse situation than either and accomplished more in his 10 years at Indiana than Painter did at Purdue. We in the other hand fired fired our coach.

I feel like this is really lazy. Agree crean inherited a worse situation, but missing the NCAAT over half of the time is a big reason he got canned, and MP was much more consistent on that dimension.

No doubt iu fans have extremely high expectations and a quicker trigger to shitcan a coach compared to Purdue, not arguing that haha

Reactions: Toast. and otte21
He had to rebuild it? Come on.

2002/03: 3rd place in the Big Ten, NCAA Tournament win.
2003/04: 7th place in the Big Ten, NIT
2004/05: 10th place in the Big Ten
2005/06: Painter's first year

One bad year means the program needed to be rebuilt from the ground up? Give me a fvcking break lol.
For someone who likes to critique "arbitrary" sample sizes, it's interesting you chose to start the analysis at '02-03 and ignore the previous two seasons where Purdue missed the tournament and won a combined 30 games.

But according to Purdue fans, it’s a valid excuse.

to be fair, since i've been posting here, Purdue fans have always been on the "injuries matter" side of things. And other fans have said it's not a big deal and good coaches can win anyway (as a way to bash Purdue/Painter)

But I'll be consistent about this and definitely agree with @SNU0821 that injuries REALLY hurt you guys last year, and i think it's valid to give him a break for missing the dance. i think he's a good coach, but there's gotta be some pressure to win pretty big in the next 1-2 years i would think...as i posted above, IU fans have big time expectations and have shown a quick trigger on coaches in hoops....

In the last two years, no one in this thread not named Gil has been further off on the pre-season expectation vs. actual results of their team than you.

That's called a homer.
No, it’s really not. And quick question. Do you think IU would have had different results had they not had so many injuries last year? Say no injuries?

And there’s zero denying the fanboy Purdue posters ITT (not all of you). The last two days really exposed that as if there was any doubt prior.

Just 2 of them. They always try to bring me into it too which annoys the shit out of me.
Avoid that shit like the plague.

giphy.gif

Reactions: otte21
I think the verdict is still out on Archie. I'll give him a pass on his first year but even with the injuries, I think he underachieved last season. He never did figure out how to effectively play Morgan and Davis to maximize what they brought to the table.

I think the vitriol towards Archie (particularly by a vocal portion of the IU fanbase) is stronger because of what Holtmann was able to accomplish at OSU after Crean had more success his final 3-5 years than Matta did.

I think Davis was still slowed by his torn Achilles. Believe they played him to much too early and they slowed him down on the middle of the year. Verdict is definitely still out, I don’t think you can decide one way or the other on him at this moment.

Reactions: SNU0821
No, it’s really not. And quick question. Do you think IU would have had different results had they not had so many injuries last year? Say no injuries?

And there’s zero denying the fanboy Purdue posters ITT (not all of you). The last two days really exposed that as if there was any doubt prior.
My guess is IU would've been on the right side of the bubble as like a 9 seed.

But over the past two years, you've expected far, far more out of IU than they've achieved. I believe I predicted Purdue to be a 4/5 seed type team the Haas injury year, and a 6 seed type this past season, and they clearly achieved more than that. Who would you call the homer in this scenario?

to be fair, since i've been posting here, Purdue fans have always been on the "injuries matter" side of things. And other fans have said it's not a big deal and good coaches can win anyway (as a way to bash Purdue/Painter)

But I'll be consistent about this and definitely agree with @SNU0821 that injuries REALLY hurt you guys last year, and i think it's valid to give him a break for missing the dance. i think he's a good coach, but there's gotta be some pressure to win pretty big in the next 1-2 years i would think...as i posted above, IU fans have big time expectations and have shown a quick trigger on coaches in hoops....
Appreciate this.

I tend to agree with you on the short leash high expectations stuff. I think financially, Archie will get more time than others in the past. We don’t have the money for a huge buy out any time soon. I think he’ll get at least five years but I’m confident he’ll have things rolling before that time.

Reactions: BoilerExpress
For someone who likes to critique "arbitrary" sample sizes, it's interesting you chose to start the analysis at '02-03 and ignore the previous two seasons where Purdue missed the tournament and won a combined 30 games.

I was showing that Purdue made the NCAA Tournament as recent as the 3rd year before Painter took over. Why would I go past the 3rd year to show that?

My guess is IU would've been on the right side of the bubble as like a 9 seed.

But over the past two years, you've expected far, far more out of IU than they've achieved. I believe I predicted Purdue to be a 4/5 seed type team the Haas injury year, and a 6 seed type this past season, and they clearly achieved more than that. Who would you call the homer in this scenario?
This is beyond dumb and not accurate. Show me what I’ve expected out of IU over the last two years that was far, far more than we achieved.

IIRC, we finished higher in the B10 Archie’s first year than I predicted. Last year we were riddled by injuries so if you want to hold me to that prediction of top half of the conference (I believe I said 4/5) and making the tournament, go ahead.

I think Davis was still slowed by his torn Achilles. Believe they played him to much too early and they slowed him down on the middle of the year. Verdict is definitely still out, I don’t think you can decide one way or the other on him at this moment.
He didn't look near 100%, especially from a conditioning standpoint.

Outside of Hunter, I'd say that Phinisee's injury was the biggest deal for you guys last year. He wasn't the same after that.

That was me. I almost didn’t include beilein because knew you’d whine about it (side note: nailed it!) but you missed my point. Both took a job at a good program that had fallen on hard times. Of course it’s not exactly the same, that’s why I said somewhat similar. But certainly some differences: Michigan was on a worse run, and on the flip side JB wasn’t trying to replace a HOF-level coach. Michigan is a historically better program (natty in the last 30 years versus 80 years ago for Purdue, etc)

In any case, i really only follow the b10, and too lazy to try to find a comparable situation in another league. And I can’t think of any other b10 schools in the last 25ish years that were in a similar spot replacing a long time successful coach that fell off a cliff his last few years (guys like Ryan, knight, Jud don’t fit the bill)

"Both took a job at a good program that had fallen on hard times" is way too over-simplified.

I feel like this is really lazy. Agree crean inherited a worse situation, but missing the NCAAT over half of the time is a big reason he got canned, and MP was much more consistent on that dimension.

No doubt iu fans have extremely high expectations and a quicker trigger to shitcan a coach compared to Purdue, not arguing that haha

It’s not lazy it’s just cherry picking to prove a point. Crean has 2 B1G titles and 3 sweet 16s in his 10 years. Painter had 1 title and 2 sweet 16s, of course 7-4 In tourney appearances. Crean started off his first two years at 6 and 10 wins, Archie has obviously exceeded Creans first 2 years although with different situations but Creans story wasn’t already written after those 3 horrible years and neither is Archie’s.

Yeah Keady was obviously a better coach than Gregory. Why are you citing career numbers? The hell does that have to do with the team/program at the time the next coach took over?

Keady obviously built Purdue into a better program than Gregory built Dayton.

This is beyond dumb and not accurate. Show me what I’ve expected out of IU over the last two years that was far, far more than we achieved.

IIRC, we finished higher in the B10 Archie’s first year than I predicted. Last year we were riddled by injuries so if you want to hold me to that prediction of top half of the conference (I believe I said 4/5) and making the tournament, go ahead.
You expected them to make the tournament both years and they didn't in either year.

You expected them to make the tournament both years and they didn't in either year.
And I didn't say like a 4 seed the first year. IIRC, I said just on the right side of the bubble. I don't care about last year considering the injuries we had. So again, your comment was idiotic and inaccurate.

Sure or it's because you got exposed for having an idiotic argument. What Painter inherited is not really different than what Archie took over.

You can tell who the reasonable Purdue posters are from the slappies by which ones are avoiding the Purdue+Keady vs Dayton+Gregory comparison and which ones are defending it.

I thought his first year they’d be on the bubble. 2nd I expected to make the tournament, I also expected Hunter to play and guys to stay relatively healthy. I did not expect to lose 12 of 13.
Injuries only negatively impact Purdue teams, as per a handful of Purdue posters here. No other team is allowed a pass when it comes to injuries.

In the last two years, no one in this thread not named Gil has been further off on the pre-season expectation vs. actual results of their team than you.

That's called a homer.

That Illinois fan that I have on ignore has probably been worse than Gil at pre-season expectations vs actual results tbh.

And I didn't say like a 4 seed the first year. IIRC, I said just on the right side of the bubble. I don't care about last year considering the injuries we had. So again, your comment was idiotic and inaccurate.
Regarding the 4 seed comment, I never said that you made that prediction.

I said that you thought IU would be a tournament team both years, and they weren't in either year. That is not at all inaccurate.

And that is expecting far more than they achieved, which is what homers do.

Well no shit. Painter didn’t take the program over in 1997 though. I compared the teams from what they took over. Then you started throwing out career coaching stats like I thought Keady was some scrub.

Well, if you want to get technical, Keady came to Purdue immediately following a Final Four so if tourney results are all that matter, he diminished the program. :cool:

You can tell who the reasonable Purdue posters are from the slappies by which ones are avoiding the Purdue+Keady vs Dayton+Gregory comparison and which ones are defending it.
It's kinda strange that the Maryland fan was the one that started the Archie at Dayton stuff. Archie obviously had a very good run at Dayton, and those results shouldn't be in question.

Most B1G coaches are generally coming into a program that's not achieving up to it's standards. Crean obviously came into a shit show, and Painter walked into a declining program and then also happened to have his best two players get hurt and sit out the entire season, which made his first roster a shit show as well.

Well, if you want to get technical, Keady came to Purdue immediately following a Final Four so if tourney results are all that matter, he diminished the program. :cool:

Further hurts the idea that Painter did more to build Purdue than Miller did to build Dayton.

It's kinda strange that the Maryland fan was the one that started the Archie at Dayton stuff. Archie obviously had a very good run at Dayton, and those results shouldn't be in question.

Most B1G coaches are generally coming into a program that's not achieving up to it's standards. Crean obviously came into a shit show, and Painter walked into a declining program and then also happened to have his best two players get hurt and sit out the entire season, which made his first roster a shit show as well.

It was a Purdue fan that cited Dayton's win totals when playing in the A-10 to Purdue's win totals when playing in the Big Ten to act like Painter took over a program that needed to be rebuilt while Miller inherited a juggernaut.

Reactions: B1G_Fan and SNU0821
Well no shit. Painter didn’t take the program over in 1997 though. I compared the teams from what they took over. Then you started throwing out career coaching stats like I thought Keady was some scrub.

Overall program strength goes back more than just a couple years. Painter didn't need to rebuild Purdue from the ground up despite a few couple bad seasons from Keady.

And if you just want to focus on immediate results preceding the coaches, Archie took over a program that finished 7th and 8th in Atlantic 10. Cite that instead of win totals. If there is anything Purdue fans should have learned this season it's that Win-Loss numbers can be misleading when you consider Strength of Schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT