***Official 2019 B1G Off Season thread***

Who is the worst Purdue poster?

• Pig1960

• Proudopete

• Joe for prez

• JohnHoosierr

• Graham Couch

Results are only viewable after voting.
In that case Painter didn't build up the Purdue program which is what I was responding to.
Gregory won 74 games in the 3 years before Archie took over.

Keady was on the back end of his career and won 73 games in the 5 years before Painter took over.

You can’t see a difference there?

2) Equivalizing season ending injuries to Hummel and Haas to fcking Race Thompson might be the dumbest sht ever this side of Gil.
Nobody ever did this. The several injuries IU had last year overall had a significant impact on be team last year.

Really cowardly of you guys to play up an injury to one person on Purdue and downplay the several injuries IU had last year including Romeo’s hand injury which he played with all year.

But then again, Purdue fans gonna Purdue fan. I mean, look at the reaction that IU shouldn’t offer Ivey and go after other players. Lulz. Dumbest shit ever.

Keady was on the back end of his career and won 73 games in the 5 years before Painter took over.

Painter didn’t build up the Purdue program. Looks like the stupid from last night has carried over...

Things we learned last night and this morning....

1. Every team in the country should have offered Ivy regardless of current roster makeup or evaluations of other recruits. Ivy is THAT good.

2. Matt Painter is responsible for building up Purdue. They were irrelevant prior to that and the name Gene Keady doesn’t mean anything.

3. Injuries only matter if they occur on Purdue.

1. Every team in the country should have offered Ivy regardless of current roster makeup or evaluations of other recruits. Ivy is THAT good.

2. Matt Painter is responsible for building up Purdue. They were irrelevant prior to that and the name Gene Keady doesn’t mean anything.

giphy.gif

#SnuBeingSnu

Reactions: otte21
Painter didn’t build up the Purdue program. Looks like the stupid from last night has carried over...
He had to rebuild it, that’s the point. I’m not going to pretend Purdue isn’t a top 25 job.

Comparing total wins can be a bit misleading. Sure Dayon won 47 games those last two years, but they still finished 7th and 8th in the A-10 those last two years. I'm going to guess they padded their wins with a bunch of cupcakes.

B1G Conference Championships: Keady 6
A-10 Conference Championships: Gregory 0

NCAA Tournament Appearances: Keady 17
NCAA Tournament Appearances: Gregory 2

NCAA Tournament Wins: Keady 19
NCAA Tournament Wins: Gregory 1

If you got their win totals from the same place I did (wiki) all of this information was there for you. Why would you just cite their win totals and not talk about anything else in terms of what preceding coach built a better program?

Reactions: SNU0821 and B1G_Fan
Comparing total wins can be a bit misleading. Sure Dayon won 47 games those last two years, but they still finished 7th and 8th in the A-10 those last two years. I'm going to guess they padded their wins with a bunch of cupcakes.

B1G Conference Championships: Keady 6
A-10 Conference Championships: Gregory 0

NCAA Tournament Appearances: Keady 17
NCAA Tournament Appearances: Gregory 2

NCAA Tournament Wins: Keady 19
NCAA Tournament Wins: Gregory 1

If you got their win totals from the same place I did (wiki) all of this information was there for you. Why would you just cite their win totals and not talk about anything else in terms of what preceding coach built a better program?
Welp. Think this pretty much destroys @otte21 dumb claim.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
He had to rebuild it, that’s the point. I’m not going to pretend Purdue isn’t a top 25 job.

He had to rebuild it? Come on.

2002/03: 3rd place in the Big Ten, NCAA Tournament win.
2003/04: 7th place in the Big Ten, NIT
2004/05: 10th place in the Big Ten
2005/06: Painter's first year

One bad year means the program needed to be rebuilt from the ground up? Give me a fvcking break lol.

I feel like it’s somewhat similar to beilein at Michigan or crean for you guys. Took a job at a good hoops program that was in a shitty spot at the time
Wasn’t close to Crean and IU. We returned like 2 minutes a game Creans first year. Not even close to similar. Id agree more like Beilein and UM. I’d then say that Archie is doing the same thing.

Keady missed the tourney 4 out of his last 5 years. The team he left Painter sucked, but the program Painter inherited wasn't in shambles. It still was respected. It looked about like Illinois when Groce came in - though Groce had more talent his first year.

One bad year means the program needed to be rebuilt from the ground up? Give me a fvcking break lol.
Painter was also the head assistant on that 04'-05' team.

Keady missed the tourney 4 out of his last 5 years. The team he left Painter sucked, but the program Painter inherited wasn't in shambles. It still was respected. It looked about like Illinois when Groce came in - though Groce had more talent his first year.

Would you argue that Miller inherited a better situation than Painter?

Painter had a 1 shared big title and 2 sweet 16s in his first 11 years at Purdue. Archie and Painters first two years are pretty similar. Not sure why Purdue fans are dogging on Archie so much on his first two years.

Reactions: SNU0821

Yup. If there was any slight thought that the Purdue fans on this board weren’t overly biased about EVERYTHING Purdue related, the last two days pretty much cleared that up.

I feel like it’s somewhat similar to beilein at Michigan or crean for you guys. Took a job at a good hoops program that was in a shitty spot at the time

Beilein took over a program that missed the NCAA Tournament 9 straight seasons.

Keady took Purdue to the NCAA Tournament 17 times in 25 years.

You guys are reaching.

I don’t think either were ideal by any means. The difference to me is the ideology difference between the coaches each replaced. Crean and Archie couldn’t have been more opposite. Keady and Painter pretty similar.

To me Purdue had a bit of a high wind storm that tore off the roof and some of the siding, wasn’t pretty but still had some good bones. When Archie took over it looked decent on the outside but the foundation was crumbling and needed a complete overhaul. When you have current players telling recruits not to come because the coach is bat shit crazy you have a real big problem.

To me Purdue had a bit of a high wind storm that tore off the roof and some of the siding, wasn’t pretty but still had some good bones. When Archie took over it looked decent on the outside but the foundation was crumbling and needed a complete overhaul. When you have current players telling recruits not to come because the coach is bat shit crazy you have a real big problem.

The crazy thing is Otte wasn't even saying that Indiana was a better situation than Painter walked in to. He literally tried to make a case that Gregory built a better program at Dayton than Keady did at Purdue.

I hope not a single other Purdue fan here cosigns that.

Between Dayton and Purdue? I'd say Painter took over a program that was more "built" than Miller did at Dayton. That's the comparison that this discussion is about.

No I’m talking about Archie at IU compared to Painter at Purdue. Not arguing the Dayton stuff.

Reactions: KisteK
Painter had a 1 shared big title and 2 sweet 16s in his first 11 years at Purdue. Archie and Painters first two years are pretty similar. Not sure why Purdue fans are dogging on Archie so much on his first two years.
This.

Who else did he inherit? Lol. Two good players doesn’t make the overall roster a good one.
It makes it better than the one Archie inherited. It would be like Thomas Bryant and JBJ sitting out Archie's first year and then playing with last years team. You think IU makes the tournament if last year's team had Bryant and JBJ? Haha.

So now Gregory AND Crean built better programs than Keady...

I'll give you guys credit, you will try anything to make your original point.

I'd say that Indiana has a status advantage over Purdue. Painter inherited had a more well-rounded team than Archie, but Juwan Morgan was much better than anyone Purdue had.

If I were a coach choosing between each situation, I'd choose IU's because it's easier to rebuild. Both rosters sucked pretty bad though outside of a couple of pieces. Purdue was probably in a worse situation because had Painter not been a decent coach, they'd have become irrelevant.

ADVERTISEMENT