ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* 2017-2018 B1G In-Season Thread

Interesting Reaves and Wakins were basically same position as last year and neither made it.
I really do feel like those teams are picked by looking at the block/steal leaders and then pick a couple guys with a good reputation. I think Dakich's crusade for Mathias was a big part of him making the team last year, because he didn't have great counting stats defensively, but was clearly a high-level defender on the wing. He's taken a step back in that regard this year, IMO, but I could see him making that team again just based on reputation.

Is there really no better option for 6th man instead of Haarms?
That's one I wasn't too solid on. His scoring/rebounding numbers aren't great, but he's on a good team and has great defensive numbers off the bench. Wouldn't argue with anyone telling me I'm wrong on that one.

The tough thing is there is a limit on how many games you can start and win the award. I think that's what cost Haas two years back, if memory serves me correctly.

Reactions: klize17
I really do feel like those teams are picked by looking at the block/steal leaders and then pick a couple guys with a good reputation. I think Dakich's crusade for Mathias was a big part of him making the team last year, because he didn't have great counting stats defensively, but was clearly a high-level defender on the wing. He's taken a step back in that regard this year, IMO, but I could see him making that team again just based on reputation.

Yeah i'm not trying to throw shade, i'm not picking all those myself, just trying to get a feel for whats used as criteria. The Bridges thing kinda pisses me off, if he makes the 1st team its purely on potential and name alone rather than actual production this year. Had never heard of the two PSU guys and surprised to see a non-starter on the all defensive team.

Reactions: klize17
12-4-4 and one of the league's best perimeter defenders. Agree to disagree.

Also, that's a very strong reaction to someone being honorable mention.
11-4-4-1 in-conference.
Maybe you read it stronger than I wrote it. ;)

Just don't think he deserves it over some other people. Tate posted 13-6-3-1. Mathews posted 13-5-3-.5. Stevens 16-5-2-1. Johnson 14-5-3-1. Frazier 14-2-4-3. Bohannon 13-2-5-1.

Yeah i'm not trying to throw shade, i'm not picking all those myself, just trying to get a feel for whats used as criteria. The Bridges thing kinda pisses me off, if he makes the 1st team its purely on potential and name alone rather than actual production this year. Had never heard of the two PSU guys and surprised to see a non-starter on the all defensive team.
No, I didn't take it that way at all. The more I look at it, guys like Isaiah Roby and Keita Bates-Diop, to name a couple, may have stronger cases.

I think there are more than 5 honorable mentions typically. If that's the case, I remove the "effin'" from my comment, and accept that he will make it on the honorable mention. @CardinalBoiler

I think there are more than 5 honorable mentions typically. If that's the case, I remove the "effin'" from my comment, and accept that he will make it on the honorable mention. @CardinalBoiler
The honorable mention is just anyone who received at least one vote on any of the three all-conference teams. There's generally anywhere from 10-15 guys. I just chose to list 5-6 I expect on that list.

Reactions: Jaycg15
Collin Hartman committed to Indiana in November of 2010. My god a lot has changed. Dude is 23 going on 58

Collin Hartman committed to Indiana in November of 2010. My god a lot has changed. Dude is 23 going on 58
If he was a freshman or sophomore in high school and is a senior year, that would make sense. When year in high school was he when he committed, do you know

My problem with Bridges is he's not top 5 in any statistic except for money lost by returning to college.

Except he technically wouldn't be losing money, unless he falls to a lower draft spot. He was mocked around #12-15 last year, and most have him around #10-12 this year.

Last year's salary for #12:
$1,931,900 $2,018,800 $2,105,700 = $6.0565m

This year's salary for #12:
$2,299,400 $2,729,400 $3,189,300 = $8.2178m

If he gets up to #10, his salary would be:
$2,547,700 $3,024,100 $3,533,500 = $9.1045m

He'd have to fall to around #17, for his first contract this year to be about the same as going #12 last year. You could argue that one more year of not-getting paid would have been a detriment in the long run, but the real money comes from your 2nd contract.

Reactions: Jaycg15 and MGC_07
Except he technically wouldn't be losing money, unless he falls to a lower draft spot. He was mocked around #12-15 last year, and most have him around #10-12 this year.

Last year's salary for #12:
$1,931,900 $2,018,800 $2,105,700 = $6.0565m

This year's salary for #12:
$2,299,400 $2,729,400 $3,189,300 = $8.2178m

If he gets up to #10, his salary would be:
$2,547,700 $3,024,100 $3,533,500 = $9.1045m

He'd have to fall to around #17, for his first contract this year to be about the same as going #12 last year. You could argue that one more year of not-getting paid would have been a detriment in the long run, but the real money comes from your 2nd contract.
The flip side of that is that NBA players have a shelf life. So he's not getting that $1,931,900 back. And they say the key with the NBA is getting to your second contract, which is where the real money is. If you consider the tail end of his career to likely be one season shorter (likely), then it's really his final year salary that he would be out. And after 10 years in the league, average starters make much more than that.

The flip side of that is that NBA players have a shelf life. So he's not getting that $1,931,900 back. And they say the key with the NBA is getting to your second contract, which is where the real money is. If you consider the tail end of his career to likely be one season shorter (likely), then it's really his final year salary that he would be out. And after 10 years in the league, average starters make much more than that.

Agreed. So it all depends on how you look at it. Not that Bridges is the same situation as other players, but a good example of one more year helping would be Gary Harris. He stayed 2 years, went around the same spot as he would have after his freshman season. But he barely played at all his rookie season, got more run his 2nd season, and finally broke out last season and signed an $80m 4 year contract. If he would have gone after his freshman season, would he have been ready enough and what would his contract have been after 2015-16 (and not 2016-17, when he signed his 2nd contract after his best season)?

A lot of different factors to consider. Hard to blame a kid for wanting to stay in school an extra year. Might not always work out to the maximum financially, but you also never get to experience college ball again. Bridges stats didn't increase by a significant amount to vault him higher up the draft boards, but he's proven he is a good shooter (41% from 3 in B1G play again this season - not a fluke last some last year were stating, and increased his FT% by over 20%), increased his perimeter skills (more assists per game, with less turnovers per game), and got to hang a banner.

Reactions: HoosierstuckinIowa
Bridges is still the best player in the league.

like it or not Bohannon should be 3rd team and Cook 2nd team at best. both improved over last year as the both avoided the SO slump.
last year in 34 games Bohannon had 175 assists and 89 made 3's, this season thru 30 games he has 82 made 3's and 161 assists. going from 5.1 apg to 5.4 apg.
forget their record.
that is all I have to say. bye bye

Reactions: MGC_07

like it or not Bohannon should be 3rd team and Cook 2nd team at best. both improved over last year as the both avoided the SO slump.
last year in 34 games Bohannon had 175 assists and 89 made 3's, this season thru 30 games he has 82 made 3's and 161 assists. going from 5.1 apg to 5.4 apg.
forget their record.

Stop comparing their stats from last year to this year. It’s dumb as fvck to just say well their numbers are better so they should be on the all conference team.

your are the dumbest poster on here

when talking about conference teams you sure as hell do use last years stats, just to see how a player develops from 1 year to the next.

-Gilligan aka @nitewing

I didn’t think it was fair that you could hide behind a pm

forget their record.

12-18.

Reactions: MGC_07
I would. Last game they played against each other Tate had 20 and 15 and was dominant. So it’s not crazy. But this is no criticism of Wagner who is an excellent player.

Why the hell would you put extra weight into "the last time they played against eachother" when 1. they play different positions and 2. conference player of the year isn't determined by 1 or 2 games. it's the whole (conference) season.

Wagner has better numbers than Tate does and that doesn't take into account Wagner's effect of being able to stretch the defense with his 3pt shooting for guys like MAAR to get to the rim.

Reactions: HoosierstuckinIowa
Agreed. So it all depends on how you look at it. Not that Bridges is the same situation as other players, but a good example of one more year helping would be Gary Harris. He stayed 2 years, went around the same spot as he would have after his freshman season. But he barely played at all his rookie season, got more run his 2nd season, and finally broke out last season and signed an $80m 4 year contract. If he would have gone after his freshman season, would he have been ready enough and what would his contract have been after 2015-16 (and not 2016-17, when he signed his 2nd contract after his best season)?

A lot of different factors to consider. Hard to blame a kid for wanting to stay in school an extra year. Might not always work out to the maximum financially, but you also never get to experience college ball again. Bridges stats didn't increase by a significant amount to vault him higher up the draft boards, but he's proven he is a good shooter (41% from 3 in B1G play again this season - not a fluke last some last year were stating, and increased his FT% by over 20%), increased his perimeter skills (more assists per game, with less turnovers per game), and got to hang a banner.
Personally, I think that once you are talking the kind of money those guys are making, what's the freaking difference between $90MM and $95MM over the course of their career? I have long said that my college years were the best years of my life so who am I to begrudge a kid from wanting to enjoy two years of that instead of one.

From a purely economical standpoint, I think its better to leave. Supposedly the instruction they receive while on an NBA bench is better than what they would get in college. At least that is what the "experts" always preach. And when you add that they can now easily cycle from the NBA team to the G-league team, they can get playing time against good competition if needed.

Last edited:
Why the hell would you put extra weight into "the last time they played against eachother" when 1. they play different positions and 2. conference player of the year isn't determined by 1 or 2 games. it's the whole (conference) season.

Wagner has better numbers than Tate does and that doesn't take into account Wagner's effect of being able to stretch the defense with his 3pt shooting for guys like MAAR to get to the rim.

You asked me. I told you I would take Tate over him. I know the numbers. I’d still take Tate. Again, not a knock against Wagner.

I would add Jae-Sean Tate from OSU to 2nd or 3rd team. No way OSU would be 14-3 in the B1G without him. He’s Mr. consistent. He’s had big games against the toughest teams. I know there are lots of good players on those teams but I’d take Jae-Sean over anyone on that 3rd team.

My biggest gripe is that he didnt includ3 KBD on the all defense team.

Reactions: ScarletnGrayBuck
Mike Watkins
Jaren Jackson
Keita Bates Diop
Carsen Edwards
Zavier Simpson

Would be my all defensive team off the top of my head but I gave that about 10 seconds of thought so could be missing someone. As someone who watched nearly every single Wisconsin game, Happ has not been the same player on defense. Hes tried avoiding foul trouble more than hes tried being assertive so I would include him there.

I also would have to have Juwan Morgan on the first team all conference but the all conference teams can be easily nitpicked this year so its more of a preference thing.

Reactions: ScarletnGrayBuck
He has to appeal though and I am sure that will take some time knowing the NCAA.

3b5.png

Reactions: KisteK and klize17
No effing way Dakota Mathias deserves to be on there. Also, I don't think Ward's 10.8 ppg will be enough for a conference team.

Leron Black will make a team. His offensive statline is nearly identical to Haas'. If Iowa even played the smallest amount of defense, I'd nearly be inclined to flip Haas and Cook, but Haas deserves it.
Dakota Mathias basketball IQ is greater than the sum of the entire Illinois team. If understanding and executing is important (it is) Mathias deserves to be recognized. Not sure why you decided to get upset at one of the better players in the league being picked.

No effing way Dakota Mathias deserves to be on there. Also, I don't think Ward's 10.8 ppg will be enough for a conference team.

Leron Black will make a team. His offensive statline is nearly identical to Haas'. If Iowa even played the smallest amount of defense, I'd nearly be inclined to flip Haas and Cook, but Haas deserves it.
Dakota Mathias basketball IQ is greater than the sum of the entire Illinois team. If understanding and executing is important (it is) Mathias deserves to be recognized. Not sure why you decided to get upset at one of the better players in the league being picked.
He's maybe the 25th best player in the league. He benefits from being the 3rd/4th option on the team. Not a knock on him, but there are other people that produced more that are more talented. No need to be butt hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT