ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* 2017-2018 B1G In-Season Thread

MSU couldn't earn a 1 or 2 seed or get past the round of 32 with Izzo's best roster in years and now with a worse roster we are suppose to re-buy into the top 5 hype?

Naw.

This roster wasn’t even top 5 for Izzo. 2016 had 4 NBA players including two guards.

2000,20001,2005,2009,2014, 2016 and maybe 2013/1999/2010/2012 were better rosters. This was one of the worst benches Izzo has had.

This wasn’t even a top 5 team in terms of starting 5. 2000,2001,2005,2009,2014 and 2016 had better starting 5s.

Guard play guard play guard play.

Also, MSU was ranked in the top 5 literally the entire year right? So that’s not what I’d call not living up to the hype. If you only want to use the snapshot of the tourney then don’t talk about rankings, right?

This roster wasn’t even top 5 for Izzo. 2016 had 4 NBA players including two guards.

2000,20001,2005,2009,2014, 2016 and maybe 2013/1999/2010/2012 were better rosters. This was one of the worst benches Izzo has had.

This wasn’t even a top 5 team in terms of starting 5. 2000,2001,2005,2009,2014 and 2016 had better starting 5s.

Also, MSU was ranked in the top 5 literally the entire year right? So that’s not what I’d call not living up to the hype. If you only want to use the snapshot of the tourney then don’t talk about rankings, right?

Hail's got a live one.

That's not what you MSU slappies were saying all offseason.

Still doesn’t change the fact that MSU lacks a major contributing upperclassmen. Which is usually a staple in a great Tom Izzo team.

I said a couple days ago, give me 2015-2016 MSU over this team any day.

No way. This team is young yes, but I have seen enough to know that we are much better defensively, but idk what has happened in these past 2. Not to mention, this teams ceiling is much much higher

Yeah but I'm saying I liked the makeup of that team way better due to their veteran leadership and experience.

Of course this MSU team has a higher ceiling with talent like Bridges & Jackson. But there's some intangibles you have to appreciate from the seniors of that 2015-2016 team.

It's still early and even that team had a down cycle due to Valentine missing some games, but there's some toughness missing from this team imo.

I'm very bullish and experience and older players in college. Why I thought Purdue would be really good this year.

Agreed. First player ever to average 19 7 7. But this group as a whole is better. No one is arguing Denzel is worse than anyone on our team.

The 15-16 team lost three in a row with Denzel there. And 2 were at home (Nebraska and Iowa) and 1 at Wisconsin. I never expected 18-0 or 17-1, that’s ridiculous in the Big Ten. But I think we could be about 15-3 or 14-4, which is better than 15-16. Plus, we have to win 1 tournament game to do better than 15-16. This years team is a lot better on defense, rebounding, assists, depth, transition offense, and post offense. That team was better at shooting, less turnovers, and being poised. I’d take this years team imo. ( Denzel was slightly better than cash rn, but this team as a whole is a lot better at assists)

Denzel was better than any player on this current MSU team, not even debatable. He was NPOY candidate.

Forbes was a better spot up shooter than probably anyone on this team (though Langford and Cash have been shooting incredibly well from 3), but that's all he could do.

Everyone else on this current team is as good or better than the 15-16 team imo. Costello was good, but Ward is better. Bridges better than anyone not named Denzel. JJJ better defender than anyone.

Reactions: B-Westy
Hail just said Michigan's bench would beat multiple B1G starting lineups.

People say stupid shit in the off-season...or hell even when their team is still playing in their current season

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
That's not what you MSU slappies were saying all offseason.
I’d like to point out, I didn’t claim this. This roster has 2 lottery picks, plus at least some other players who will play professionally, (Cash, Ward, maybe Tillman with time). This was a top 5 roster

It changes after seeing how players actually performed after a full season.

Right? Pre season opinions are just that. Have to see how the players play.

Well when MSU fans spend all offseason telling everyone that their team is so good it will win the national championship, then MSU flames out in the 2nd round, and MSU fans come back and say "JK that team wasn't that good.... but NEXT year.. Let me tell you about how good we will be!"

You don't see how people roll their eyes over that?

Reactions: BANGBRO
Well when MSU fans spend all offseason telling everyone that their team is so good it will win the national championship, then MSU flames out in the 2nd round, and MSU fans come back and say "JK that team wasn't that good.... but NEXT year.. Let me tell you about how good we will be!"

Sounds like the Iowa board. We're gonna be so deep and loaded, score 90 pts per game then the season starts and....

giphy.gif

I think Langford will be the best SG in the conference by years end, he's likely already the most talented. But he probably won't fill the stat sheet enough with Bridges and Ward being the go to guys on our team.

If you are starting a team from scratch, there isn't a shooting guard I'd take over Langford in conference. Mcintosh is decent, he's just not all that great though.

Very few teams will be able to match up with our front court. Duke likely has the best guard play in the country also. Easy to see why both teams are title favorites and honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see a rematch.

Natty or bust. Time for Izzo to cement his legacy with a second title.

I said it in 2014 (we lost to Uconn E8) and 2016 (kysia upset) that these were great chances for Izzo to get his second because there wasn't a truly dominant team like let's say 2009 UNC was that beat MSU in the finals.

However this year rolls around with Bridges coming back and me asking myself again, if not this year, when for Izzo.

Dammit, MSU needs to just get it done this year.

Top 5? Who’s better than MSU outside Duke? Maybe AZ? MSU looked like a much better team than UK and KU did.

MSU will bonecrush teams in man and will kill in transition also.

Winston had 11 assists last night. We will be fine.

But now this years team didn't move the needle for you, eh? Next year though!

I apologize for him. If JJJ comes back, we are a top 15 team. But he won’t. But this team had it all, and the pieces just didn’t fit together. If he doesn’t come back, I say we around 20-30.

To be fair, MSU fans weren’t the only ones hyping them up. Just go back and look at ESPN’s final four picks. We are in basically all of them. The hype wasn’t unwarranted.

No one is claiming this. Most MSU fans have reasonable expectations for next years team. I don’t get just because of one guy you think we all are wayyy to high on next years team.

I'm just having fun with it after hearing how mediocre Michigan would be all offseason. We are where you guys hoped to be.

Reactions: klize17
Sounds like the Iowa board. We're gonna be so deep and loaded, score 90 pts per game then the season starts and....

giphy.gif
scoring for Iowa won't be a problem, as they return 76.4 ppg out of the 80 ppg they avg'd, so people talking about scoring 90 ppg although funny is not unrealistic.

scoring will not be a problem. the team defense was the problem.
was it youth?
was it players playing out of positition?
was it players learning new position on the fly?
in most cases these can be fixed with age and experience.

scoring for Iowa won't be a problem, as they return 76.4 ppg out of the 80 ppg they avg'd, so people talking about scoring 90 ppg although funny is not unrealistic.

scoring will not be a problem. the team defense was the problem.
was it youth?
was it players playing out of positition?
was it players learning new position on the fly?
in most cases these can be fixed with age and experience.

1. Lack of athleticism/quickness/ability to defend
2. Fran not instilling good defensive principles
3. Lack of talent

My guess is you’ll be terrible on defense next year as well.

3. Lack of talent

lack of talent? I don't think so
Bohannon 4* by ESPN
Moss 4* by ESPN
Cook 4* #38 by ESPN top 100 by Rivals
Garza top 100 4* by ESPN 4* by Rivals
Connor top 100 by ESPN 4* by Rivals
Wieskamp top 100 by ESPN 4* by Rivals
this falls starting lineup will look like this

PG 6'0 JR Bohannon
SG 6'5 JR Moss or 6'6 FR Wieskamp
SF 6'5 Moss or 6'6 Wieskamp
PF 6'9 JR Cook or 7'0 SO Nunge/6'8 JR Pemsl
C 6'11 SO Garza

6th man 6'7 SF Baer
6'5 RSFR PG Connor McCaffery
6'4 FR G Fredrick
6'9 JR F/C Kriener

what this means that nobody needs to play out of position and it will also allow Fran to bench players that are not playing up to their abilities [dogging it]
something he couldn't do last season.

Reactions: KisteK
having the ability to put a player on the seat right next to the coach can be a great motivator, [ANY PLAYER].

question on Cook lets say he leaves his name in the draft and does not sign with a Agent,
now hypothetically he goes undrafted can he still return to college?
No. There is a date where u must withdraw ur name to retain college eligibility. It is between the combine and the draft. So if u stay in and don't get drafted, u are a pro, regardless.

lack of talent? I don't think so
Bohannon 4* by ESPN
Moss 4* by ESPN
Cook 4* #38 by ESPN top 100 by Rivals
Garza top 100 4* by ESPN 4* by Rivals
Connor top 100 by ESPN 4* by Rivals
Wieskamp top 100 by ESPN 4* by Rivals
this falls starting lineup will look like this

PG 6'0 JR Bohannon
SG 6'5 JR Moss or 6'6 FR Wieskamp
SF 6'5 Moss or 6'6 Wieskamp
PF 6'9 JR Cook or 7'0 SO Nunge/6'8 JR Pemsl
C 6'11 SO Garza

6th man 6'7 SF Baer
6'5 RSFR PG Connor McCaffery
6'4 FR G Fredrick
6'9 JR F/C Kriener

what this means that nobody needs to play out of position and it will also allow Fran to bench players that are not playing up to their abilities [dogging it]
something he couldn't do last season.
Omg, ur posts.........awful and unreadable. U reciting and resisting every player's high school ranking in every single argument that u stir up daily is the most annoying and immature thing I have ever seen on rivals. And for a nothing school like freaking Iowa. It's hysterical really.

Reactions: BANGBRO
Omg, ur posts.........awful and unreadable. U reciting and resisting every player's high school ranking in every single argument that u stir up daily is the most annoying and immature thing I have ever seen on rivals. And for a nothing school like freaking Iowa. It's hysterical really.
can't stand that Fran can actually recruit 4* players to Iowa can you and I can show jwardt out to be the fool he really is.

the best thing is Iowa after this season for now will only Baer a former walk on and Patrick McCaffery a top 35 4* player will replace him, the talent just keeps getting better, the truly last time there was this much talent was in Dr. Tom's Elite 8 team, the only team that might have had more was Lute's FF team and BT Championship team.

stupidity or is it ignorance that leads you to hatred for Iowa or is it just me that blinds you to the amount of Talent that Fran has assembled. the best thing this group will be here for the next 2 years and it will only get better.

3. Lack of talent

ahh yes the white men can't jump label., what a bigot.

if they are slow and unathletic how did they do this.
80 ppg 2nd in the BT to OSU.
38 rpg 2nd in the BT to MSU
Bohannon was the 1st person reguardless of position to post back to back seasons with recording 175+ assist as a FR then as a SO, with 85+ made 3's as a FR and SO, IN the last 25 years.
and he posted back to back seasons with 20+ steals while playing on a bad foot.
if he is so slow and unathletic no way should he have been able to that against far superior athletes.

Garza as a FR had these for stats
21.7 mpg, 12.1 ppg, 211 total rebounds good for 2nd behind Cook who had 224 rebounds, 32 Blocks which led the team and was a All BT FR. another slow unathletic white player. that did this against FAR Superior athletes.

FR Nunge another slow non athletic white guy who had stat's like these
15.7 mpg 5.7 ppg, 91 total rebounds, 25 blocks and 21 steals doing that against far superior athletes of the BT.

yea real slow and unathletic white players,

Reactions: ThreeTwaunMoore
I don’t have to pray. Fran will take care of that by not teaching any defense.

I said the same thing before this past season. Nothing has changed. Fran no defense McCaffery is still the coach.

I said the same thing before this past season. Nothing has changed. Fran no defense McCaffery is still the coach.
Fran is still the same coach whose teams have done this
6 straight winning seasons
5 straight .500 OR Better BT Seasons
back to back 3rd place finishes with just 2 12-6 3rd place finishes in the BT.
3 Straight NCAAT with back to back NCAAT wins
6 straight post season appearances.
the only BT Coach that can claim that kind of success over a 6 year period is Izzo of MSU,

nobody else can make that claim. ooooo Fran has his 1st bad season in the last 7 years and now Iowa is supposed to go to hell in a hand basket.

ADVERTISEMENT