ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* 2017-2018 B1G In-Season Thread

we will see if you will still be saying that the end of this year and going into the 18-19 Season.

if Fran can have just 2 top 100 4* players and take Iowa to the NIT Championship game, then to 3 straight NCAAT game produceing back to back 3rd place finishes in the BT. just think what he will do with 4 top 100 4* players and 2 4* players just outside the top 100....

I hope he goes better than 2-7 for your sake.

I've said it on here a bunch of times that they don't have the players to play their system.

You Indiana fans are all up in arms because I said Illinois would've faired better with your schedule. I'm speaking to the layout and the injuries. It's not complicated.
And that is possibly true. BUT.........How confident are you this Illinois team wins @ Minny, even had they been shorthanded? And sure you could've faired better. But what is better----------2-6? 3-5?

Funny how you say Illinois doesn't have the players to play their syste. I can say the same thing about IU. No shooters. Zero. None. No depth. Starting a walk-on. Tallest starter is 6'8". No PG of any count. Most of our back-up's are freshman. All these guys are mostly Crean holdovers.

Yet, Miller has IU at 5-3.

I'll take it.
If you trade pg and sf, you're describing Illinois. Illinois' offense is one of the more complex to learn in college basketball. It's still not fully installed. Our defense is a lot harder to play than the pack-line. We are still struggling with some aspects of it. It's why you see us dominate at times and then give up bunnies.

We are missing a few pieces on both sides that will make a big difference.

Illinois ran a pack line under Groce. Illinois could easily fall back into it, and I think they could've finished some games off. Underwood did that last year with OSU, but he needs these guys to learn it because they're not going to make the tournament.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
And it is a fair point. But you are totally ignoring the fact that IU lost a significant piece as well. Forced Miller to start a freshman and a walk-on. I don't think we beat Minny if they have Coffeee and Lynch. Maryland I do think we win. Northwestern is a toss-up. But I think we are better than NW. We didn't just squeeze by them. We beat them by 20.

To win at Minny a few days after losing De'Ron was big. Impressive really.

Anyways, good luck tonight.

o_O

we will see if you will still be saying that the end of this year and going into the 18-19 Season.

if Fran can have just 2 top 100 4* players and take Iowa to the NIT Championship game, then to 3 straight NCAAT game produceing back to back 3rd place finishes in the BT. just think what he will do with 4 top 100 4* players and 2 4* players just outside the top 100....
Fran is 65-69 overall, in the Big 10. I think he'll continue to be what he is: Average.

BTW---Don't you ever get tired of saying----"wait till nect year"? Boy I know I did.

This game hasn't mattered since. The argument upsets some Illinois and older IU fans, but I do not give a shit about Illinois.

Oh I know. I laugh when I see people call it a rivalry. I’m like, yeah it was tense for one year with Gordon but other than that? Nah

Crean was great for us. We’ll see if Archie can carry that same torch. Good start so far. Do we play again this year?
JW I do not think we do. Look at this team. No PG. No shooters. Starting a walk-on. Starting center out for th year. Getting absolutely very little from our senior guards. They are incinsistent as hell.

Yet----Here IU sits. 5-3.

Naaah, we got our guy.

Man, when he was a freshman, I thought Corey Sanders might be one of the best players in the Big Ten as an upperclassman. It just hasn't clicked.

Dude has crazy natural ability.

Crean was great for us. We’ll see if Archie can carry that same torch. Good start so far. Do we play again this year?
Sorry for the double quote. I read your post wrong. No we don't play again this year. I think we will have more success vs you guys under Miller. Not saying we are gfonna win a bazillion straight. But I think his style, his system, his attention to defense and how he puts so much value on possessions, is better fit to play against a Wisconsin.

Reactions: jwardelt
Man, when he was a freshman, I thought Corey Sanders might be one of the best players in the Big Ten as an upperclassman. It just hasn't clicked.

Dude has crazy natural ability.
Me too. As a frosh young man was insane. As you said, just hasn't clicked.

maxresdefault.jpg
kidfromkidnplay-twitter-1.jpg

JW I do not think we do. Look at this team. No PG. No shooters. Starting a walk-on. Starting center out for th year. Getting absolutely very little from our senior guards. They are incinsistent as hell.

Yet----Here IU sits. 5-3.

Naaah, we got our guy.

Schedule has been a little light for you guys so far it looks like. Lose tonight and you’re staring down 5-7.

I didn’t see anything different from your guys when we played earlier but it’s going to take awhile to get rid of Creans stink.

You seem to focus on something so irrelevant because that’s all you’ve got. So what if Fran is 7-6 against Purdue? Mike Davis went like 10-2 against Purdue.
its only irrelevant to you. and it looks Painter might not be that great.
12-13 8-10 16-18 9th in the BT
13-14 5-13 15-17 DEAD LAST IN THE BT.

Fran's teams have never finished DEAD LAST IN THE BT,

although the excuse will be flowing shortly
Painter was hand picked by a Hall of Fame Coach in Gene Keady.

Fran took over a team that went thru 11 years of its worst stretch in the history of the program,
without Creaning or bring in player kick off another team because of legal troubles, in year 2 produced a winning season 8-10 and a trip to the NIT

in year 3 the team went 9-9 and finished in 6th alone and recorded 25 wins the 2nd most in Iowa's history. ending up in the NIT Championship game

in year 4 the team went 9-9 and 6th alone this time reaching the NCAAT

in year 5 the team went 12-6 finishing in a tie for 3rd and the teams 1st NCAAT win since the 2000-01 season the only season under Indiana's Golden Boy Steve Alford 8 seasons.
then losing to a #2 seed in Gonzaga after being a #7 seed.

in year 6 after being picked to finish 7th at best and 9th or worse they went 12-6 again finishing in a tie for 3rd in the BT. again winning a 1st round game in the NCAAT, this time after being a 7 seed they lost in the 2nd round to #2 seed Villanova who went on to win the National Championship.
all that with just 2 4* players in the 2012 class.

year 7 they were picked to finish 10th or worse in the BT and yet they went 10-8 finishing in a tie for 5th with these
10-8 MSU
10-8 NW
10-8 Michigan
also under Fran Iowa has had 4 straight seasons with 1st Team All BT players and a 2nd Team AA.
only a fool would try to discredit a coach that has accomplished all that with the talent level in his 1st 6 seasons.

the talent level has been greatly improved to what it was under Olsen and Davis, when they went to the FF, Elite 8, Sweet 16 and recorded a BT Championship. oh and Davis's teams NEVER LOST A 1st round NCAAT Game going 9-0, while guiding his team to 11 post season Tournament in 13 seasons.

Schedule has been a little light for you guys so far it looks like. Lose tonight and you’re staring down 5-7.

I didn’t see anything different from your guys when we played earlier but it’s going to take awhile to get rid of Creans stink.

Defense has been great since after the second half of Wisconsin game.

Reactions: jwardelt

Meh the schedule is what it is. You can only play who is in front of you. We have gotten better each game. Still have moments. But for the most part, this team has gotten better week after week. There is a huge difference between how this team plays/coached, then that of Crean. Not even close.

Like I said, soft schedule or not, to be 5-3 is very satisfying. We have no shooters. No PG. Thin, thin bench. Start a walk-on. Yet, we are 5-3. Light schedule or not, I will take it. This team is starting to become a pretty tough out. You are going to have to beat them.

Meh the schedule is what it is. You can only play who is in front of you. We have gotten better each game. Still have moments. But for the most part, this team has gotten better week after week. There is a huge difference between how this team plays/coached, then that of Crean. Not even close.

Like I said, soft schedule or not, to be 5-3 is very satisfying. We have no shooters. No PG. Thin, thin bench. Start a walk-on. Yet, we are 5-3. Light schedule or not, I will take it. This team is starting to become a pretty tough out. You are going to have to beat them.

Last sentence is certainly a change.

its only irrelevant to you. and it looks Painter might not be that great.
12-13 8-10 16-18 9th in the BT
13-14 5-13 15-17 DEAD LAST IN THE BT.

Fran's teams have never finished DEAD LAST IN THE BT,

although the excuse will be flowing shortly
Painter was hand picked by a Hall of Fame Coach in Gene Keady.

Fran took over a team that went thru 11 years of its worst stretch in the history of the program,
without Creaning or bring in player kick off another team because of legal troubles, in year 2 produced a winning season 8-10 and a trip to the NIT

in year 3 the team went 9-9 and finished in 6th alone and recorded 25 wins the 2nd most in Iowa's history. ending up in the NIT Championship game

in year 4 the team went 9-9 and 6th alone this time reaching the NCAAT

in year 5 the team went 12-6 finishing in a tie for 3rd and the teams 1st NCAAT win since the 2000-01 season the only season Indiana's Golden Boy Steve Alford 8 seasons losing to a #2 seed in Gonzaga after being a #7 seed.

in year 6 after being picked to finish 7th at best and 9th or worse they went 12-6 again finishing in a tie for 3rd in the BT. again winning a 1st round game in the NCAAT, this time after being a 7 seed they lost in the 2nd round to #2 seed Villanova who went on to win the National Championship.
all that with just 2 4* players in the 2012 class.

year 7 they were picked to finish 10th or worse in the BT and yet they went 10-8 finishing in a tie for 5th with these
10-8 MSU
10-8 NW
10-8 Michigan
also under Fran Iowa has had 4 straight seasons with 1st Team All BT players and a 2nd Team AA.
only a fool would try to discredit a coach that has accomplished all that with the talent level in his 1st 6 seasons.

the talent level has been greatly improved to what it was under Olson and Davis, when they went to the FF, Elite 8, Sweet 16 and recorded a BT Championship. oh and Davis's teams NEVER LOST A 1st round NCAAT Game going 9-0, while guiding his team to 11 post season Tournament in 13 seasons.
Yet, he's 65-69 in the Big 10, overall.. Including 2-7 this year. So there is that. I guess that's relevant.

As a Rutgers fan, I am envious of any team who has at least average shooters. Our “best” shooter tonight was 1-10 and 0-7 from 3. We won’t move out of the conference cellar until we find offense. Frustrating as hell.

Reactions: Frost4NU
IU guys, with Davis out do u pretty much play small ball. Or do you have another big guy that stepped right in. I haven’t seen many of your games

ADVERTISEMENT