ADVERTISEMENT

NFL general discussion thread.

Yeah, that is a bad look for the league and they will get hammered for it. Even the announcers were blasting the officials. Heck, the official in the booth was kind of throwing shade at them. They don't care though because people will still watch.

Dee ford has done a lot that doesn't show up in the stat sheet. But he has gotten 3 sacks in the last two games. His presence alone opens things up for Buckner and Blair. The 49ers been really good against the pass this year despite having a very average backfield at best. He plays a big role in that.

He may have been the best pass rusher in the league last year. Makes me sick that they traded him. I think they thought that the fanbase wouldn’t forgive him for his blunder in the AFCC.

Now they have no pass rush. Go figure.

Lions got hosed tonight. Two bullshit illegal hands to the face penalties happened after Detroit held the packers on 3rd downs. One drive ended in a touchdown that got them within 2. The other allowed them to take 1:40 off the clock and kick the winning FG at the end. Damn

Horrific. Officiating has been worse than ever this year, and that’s saying something.

Not sure if this was part of an agenda or incompetence.

I do believe there was an agenda in the KC/Houston game. Not necessarily a “fix” per se. More of a “we need to keep this close to protect TV ratings” situation. I’ve seen it happen too many times to dismiss. They absolutely do not let big games get out of hand early, if they can help it.

Every NFL official should be fired. Make it a full time job and get younger guys that can keep up with the game a little better.
Do you remember the games called during the ref lock out.It was horrible. Those guys sucked.

Do you remember the games called during the ref lock out.It was horrible. Those guys sucked.

Obviously not right now, but fire all of them during the off season. Bring in new officials and make it a full time position so they can actually train and get better especially during the offseason. These old geriatric fvcks are getting worse.

Horrific. Officiating has been worse than ever this year, and that’s saying something.

I do believe there was an agenda in the KC/Houston game. Not necessarily a “fix” per se. More of a “we need to keep this close to protect TV ratings” situation. I’ve seen it happen too many times to dismiss. They absolutely do not let big games get out of hand early, if they can help it.
What I didn't like about either of these bullshit calls was that in both instances, the refs waited until the play had been completed before finally deciding to throw the flag. And obviously in both cases it would have ended badly for GB. One was a sack that took them out of field goal range. And the other would have left them kicking a 35-40 yard FG and leaving a minute and a half for Detroit to get in Field goal range. That gives me the feeling that the refs were intentionally affecting the game. Maybe I am wrong.

I am aggravated with the people who say that Detroit had opportunities to stop GB but didn't. They DID! They stopped them on 3rd down on both of their two scoring drives and the refs gave them first downs on two blatantly bullshit calls. So annoying and I am not even a Lions fan.

He may have been the best pass rusher in the league last year. Makes me sick that they traded him. I think they thought that the fanbase wouldn’t forgive him for his blunder in the AFCC.

Now they have no pass rush. Go figure.
We thank you. It has been so frustrating the last couple of years seeing the 49ers able to get to the quarterback, but unable to finish the play. This year they actually have people who can take the quarterback down or at least disrupt him enough to alter the play.

Can you back that last statement with anything as not something I've noticed.

To me they've always made bad calls.....just weren't social media platforms to complain as much about them nor as many angles so we could see them.

Haven't played much DK or FD this year. I wont hold out much longer.

I've been jumping in the shallow end - $3 games with like 500k entries, I put in two teams. My good weeks I cash like, $12 for my $6 investment, but cash that consistently. I can never find those low end WR that go off.

Reactions: dtgold88
I've been jumping in the shallow end - $3 games with like 500k entries, I put in two teams. My good weeks I cash like, $12 for my $6 investment, but cash that consistently. I can never find those low end WR that go off.
If you ever want some comedy, go into the Fanduel facebook forum. So many After the fact Guys who "knew" guys were gonna go off.

Sounds like you are doing it right....for fun and if you hit big great. I think more skill in football than, say, NBA or MLB,but still so much more luck than skill. Keep plugging.

Yeah, that is a bad look for the league and they will get hammered for it. Even the announcers were blasting the officials. Heck, the official in the booth was kind of throwing shade at them. They don't care though because people will still watch.
Do people really believe the officiating is that much worse than in past years? I'm not so sure (and my team has been the victim of many a bad call). To me it's just with social media, plays get tweeted, retweeted, shown in sites like these over and over, and fans complain about them.

When I first started watching games in late 70s you'd see highlights of your team and maybe one other game on local news. Then Sportscenter came along and it was on once at 11pm eastern. Not all games shown until Primetime started (guessing mid-late 80s?).

Also a few games highlighted during halftime of MNF.

Chances are if there was a bad call most never saw it. Never mind all the angles we have now and rules that make it tougher on the refs.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Ever since I said Mark Andrews was a good tight end, hes done nothing but suck ass. Fvck that asshole.

Edit: 3 drops today. Mark Andrews KYS, you jabroni.

Last edited:
Can you back that last statement with anything as not something I've noticed.

To me they've always made bad calls.....just weren't social media platforms to complain as much about them nor as many angles so we could see them.

Naturally, most of the examples that come to mind are KC games. Recent ones that stand out are the games vs the Rams and Steelers last year, and the Houston game two weeks ago. If you watch the first halves, you’ll see very one-sided officiating with a load of questionable calls. As soon as the game becomes tied or close, the officiating evens out and they let them play again.

I’m not saying that it happens in every game by any means, but I think it’s fairly common in “big games,” particularly when a big market team is in danger of being blown out. TV revenue is by far the largest source of revenue for the NFL. They’re not going to risk losing the audience if they can help it.

As we learned in the suit against the Patriots a few years back, the NFL is legally classified as entertainment. It’s within their legal right to manipulate games. Of course they won’t advertise it, but if they have a legal right to massage outcomes to their financial benefit, do you have faith that they won’t? The better question is why wouldn’t they?

Naturally, most of the examples that come to mind are KC games. Recent ones that stand out are the games vs the Rams and Steelers last year, and the Houston game two weeks ago. If you watch the first halves, you’ll see very one-sided officiating with a load of questionable calls. As soon as the game becomes tied or close, the officiating evens out and they let them play again.

I’m not saying that it happens in every game by any means, but I think it’s fairly common in “big games,” particularly when a big market team is in danger of being blown out. TV revenue is by far the largest source of revenue for the NFL. They’re not going to risk losing the audience if they can help it.

As we learned in the suit against the Patriots a few years back, the NFL is legally classified as entertainment. It’s within their legal right to manipulate games. Of course they won’t advertise it, but if they have a legal right to massage outcomes to their financial benefit, do you have faith that they won’t? The better question is why wouldn’t they?
All pro sports are entertainment.

Do people really believe the officiating is that much worse than in past years? I'm not so sure (and my team has been the victim of many a bad call). To me it's just with social media, plays get tweeted, retweeted, shown in sites like these over and over, and fans complain about them.

When I first started watching games in late 70s you'd see highlights of your team and maybe one other game on local news. Then Sportscenter came along and it was on once at 11pm eastern. Not all games shown until Primetime started (guessing mid-late 80s?).

Also a few games highlighted during halftime of MNF.

Chances are if there was a bad call most never saw it. Never mind all the angles we have now and rules that make it tougher on the refs.
I've preached this on here for a looooooooong time. Officiating is just more visual now. 50 different camera angles....social media...18 different sportscenters. A bad call, and or calls, gets shown over, and over and over. Tweeted...On facebook. And as you stated, now you can watch every single game. Back in the 80's, even 90's, you could not. Hell there was barely highlights. Now, a bad call in a 45-0 Browns loss, is shown 400 times..Laughing

Reactions: dtgold88
All pro sports are entertainment.

I’m not sure about the legal classification of all pro sports, but regardless, most would assume that these leagues have a legal obligation to provide an athletic event free of manipulation.

Most would also consider it an absurd conspiracy theory to suggest that officials may have an agenda in certain games/situations. But if it's within their legal right, what would you expect?

How does this back it happens more now? These happened all the time "back in the day" but we just didn't hear all the complaining without social media. In addition, before Prime Time, you didn't see highlights of every game in many cases. Even less before Sportscenter.

Manipulate games? Seems like a word for fix. who is doing it and why? Billionaires really need to make a few extra million at the expense of making the league look bad?

Last edited:
I’m not sure about the legal classification of all pro sports, but regardless, most would assume that these leagues have a legal obligation to provide an athletic event free of manipulation.

Most would also consider it an absurd conspiracy theory to suggest that officials may have an agenda in certain games/situations. But if it's within their legal right, what would you expect?
Fixing games by refs within their legal right? I mean, if you mean by changing rules, OK, but doubt that's what you mean.

How does this back it happens more now? These happened all the time "back in the day" but we just didn't hear all the complaining without social media. In addition, before Prime Time, you didn't see highlights of every game in many cases. Even less before Sportscenter.

Manipulate games? Seems like a word for fix. who is doing it and why? Billionaires really need to make a few extra million at the expense of making the league look bad?

TV is by far their largest source of revenue. If everyone changes the channel because Pittsburgh is getting blown out, that’s a problem.

I don’t consider that a fix per se, because at least in those cases, I don’t think they necessarily care about the winner. They want a close, competitive game to maintain the TV audience.

As far as making the league look bad, what do you mean? There’s no national outcry and business is great. They know the average person won’t accept it until it’s painfully obvious. And even the ones that do will still watch.

TV is by far their largest source of revenue. If everyone changes the channel because Pittsburgh is getting blown out, that’s a problem.

I don’t consider that a fix per se, because at least in those cases, I don’t think they necessarily care about the winner. They want a close, competitive game to maintain the TV audience.

As far as making the league look bad, what do you mean? There’s no national outcry and business is great. They know the average person won’t accept it until it’s painfully obvious. And even the ones that do will still watch.
TV money is in and has been for a while already. It's the networks that benefit with people staying tuned in.

A scandal ever comes out (and only takes 1 to spill the beans) it would be a disaster. Because business is great, why do anything to jeopardize it.

I've never officiated at the professional level. So I dunno. I have no idea what the comish of the NBA expects.

what type of game fixing is "within their legal rights"?

what type of game fixing is "within their legal rights"?

It’s legally classified as entertainment. Just as WWF isn’t legally obligated to produce a legitimate sporting event, neither is the NFL. And no, I’m not comparing the legitimacy of the two.

TV money is in and has been for a while already. It's the networks that benefit with people staying tuned in.

A scandal ever comes out (and only takes 1 to spill the beans) it would be a disaster. Because business is great, why do anything to jeopardize it.

So the NFL doesn’t benefit from higher ratings? You realize they have to negotiate deals, right?

In fact, a few years ago, ratings were in sharp decline. Suddenly, as contract negotiation time drew near, ratings started climbing again. And immediately before the negotiations, two of the most “electrifying” and highest-rated games ever took place. Coincidence? Not so sure.

So the NFL doesn’t benefit from higher ratings? You realize they have to negotiate deals, right?

In fact, a few years ago, ratings were in sharp decline. Suddenly, as contract negotiation time drew near, ratings started climbing again. And immediately before the negotiations, two of the most “electrifying” and highest-rated games ever took place. Coincidence? Not so sure.
You're probably right....No one's gonna want the NFL next time it's time to sign new deals. Probably gonna be Lifetime and maybe Tru TV.

as for your other potential conspiracy...couldn't just be the 2 most exciting teams played a great game.

It’s legally classified as entertainment. Just as WWF isn’t legally obligated to produce a legitimate sporting event, neither is the NFL. And no, I’m not comparing the legitimacy of the two.
You think if there are fixes discovered no one gets in trouble?

You think if there are fixes discovered no one gets in trouble?

Is the WWF in trouble?

I don't know why something like this seems so far-fetched or hard for people to believe. Hmm...let's see...we could make millions or billions more by way of a little manipulation. Which no one will ever be able to prove. Not sure which way to go here...

There have been many confirmed fixes in various sports throughout the years. And confirmed cheating at every level of every sport. Why do they risk it? Why would the Patriots need to risk their success or reputation with rampant cheating?

Same answer. They know that the chance of any serious consequences is little to nil. The Patriots have cheated wildly in a million different ways since 2000 or so, and the worst thing to happen to them is that Brady missed four games one year. Laughing

Is the WWF in trouble?

I don't know why something like this seems so far-fetched or hard for people to believe. Hmm...let's see...we could make millions or billions more by way of a little manipulation. Which no one will ever be able to prove. Not sure which way to go here...

There have been many confirmed fixes in various sports throughout the years. And confirmed cheating at every level of every sport. Why do they risk it? Why would the Patriots need to risk their success or reputation with rampant cheating?

Same answer. They know that the chance of any serious consequences is little to nil. The Patriots have cheated wildly in a million different ways since 2000 or so, and the worst thing to happen to them is that Brady missed four games one year. Laughing
WWF is known to be scripted. I stopped reading after your first question as it's doubtful you could be more absurd than to make that comparison.

WWF is known to be scripted. I stopped reading after your first question as it's doubtful you could be more absurd than to make that comparison.

I already said that I'm not comparing the legitimacy of the two.

The fact that the NFL isn't scripted doesn't change the fact that no one is likely to win a lawsuit against them regarding the legitimacy of their games

We already have a precedent. A Jets fan (who happened to be a lawyer) sued the Patriots because he felt that he paid for an illegitimate sporting event. It was ruled that his ticket only bought him entertainment. It did not buy him the right to watch an unmanipulated sport.

I already said that I'm not comparing the legitimacy of the two.

The fact that the NFL isn't scripted doesn't change the fact that no one is likely to win a lawsuit against them regarding the legitimacy of their games

We already have a precedent. A Jets fan (who happened to be a lawyer) sued the Patriots because he felt that he paid for an illegitimate sporting event. It was ruled that his ticket only bought him entertainment. It did not buy him the right to watch an unmanipulated sport.
Cheating and fixing games is not the same. Do you really not get the difference?

Is the WWF in trouble?

You do know that it hasn’t been called the WWF since 2002 right?

Yeah, yeah....WWE. Never broke that habit. But yeah, I haven't watched it once since Hulkster.

Looks like the Falcons have a shot at being the team to beat in the NFC South. With Brees missing 6 weeks.

The Rams, so far don't seem to be as tough as they were last year, defensively especially. But I don't see them losing the division. Right now them, the Seahawks and the 49ers are 2-0.

@bMORE607 's Ravens shouldn't be challenged in their division.

Any early season predictions that will surely be a laughing point come season's end?

Just playoff teams, for now. No SB predictions from me until everyone has played 4 games.

NFC

East. Dallas
South. Atlanta
North. GB
West. LAR

WC. New Orleans
WC. San Francisco <--------- homer pick.

AFC

East. New England (real stretch)
South. Houston
North. Baltimore
West. Kansas City

WC. Buffalo
WC. Tennessee
Lol at my NFC. My AFC is solid. Minus Tennessee.

ADVERTISEMENT