ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Reinstates MOP, but not the banner.

When I was in HS, my grand-pa didn't require me to have a job, because I played sports. BUT.....I had to maintain all B's. ANd I mean ALL B's. One "C", and all bets were off. That was the easier part. Now, the hard part...

To earn spending money, I had to work on the family farm. That meant getting up at 4am to get chores done, before school. Milking, feeding, cleaning out barn/stalls, etc, etc...And that was done before any of classmates where even out of bed. My friends used to say--"Man dude, you are lucky. You don't have to work".Laughing

Yeah, right. I invited a few over, to show them how much I didn't have to "work". Needless to say, that perception fell to the wayside soon after.:D
My mom told me that as long as I worked and kept a job, I wouldn't have a curfew. Little did I know, she was playing me. I was so tired at the end of the day, I was in bed prior to what would have been my curfew.

My mom told me that as long as I worked and kept a job, I wouldn't have a curfew. Little did I know, she was playing me. I was so tired at the end of the day, I was in bed prior to what would have been my curfew.
This is whats wrong with today's kiddo's....None had the type of work ethic installed, as we did. Including my son. His momma has made him soft. I am slowly getting him there.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
This is whats wrong with today's kiddo's....None had the type of work ethic installed, as we did. Including my son. His momma has made him soft. I am slowly getting him there.
I'm having a bit of back and forth with my BIL. I laid into his ass the other night and his immediate response was to just call it quits. I wouldn't/won't let him.

..anyway, It's Saturday, busiest day of the week. I'm really looking forward to this 12 hr workday. :oops:

I don't know many ppl that enjoy working, but like getting the bails up before it rains, it has to be done. TTYL

Last edited:
I don't recall it being stated that being GOOD at a sport...........Only that PLAYING a sport, could be a benefit. Hell, it doesn't have to be a sport. I know my listing of being in a fraternity , went a long ways(as well). And as you said, "not all job interviews" are equal, i.e. working on a farm was a power tool for you. It was for me as well. At the end of the day, it really depends on your interview. And more as what the said employer is looking for. Hell when I was hiring a while back, I looked over an application, and thought---"WTF--did a 10 year old fill this out"? I sat it to the side. BUT....the guy who filled it out, called. And called again. THEN...he shows up, at the shop. So I interview him.

Been with us for almost 3 years. One of the best hires we have ever made.

I just meant being “good” at sports to the point your good enough to make a roster at the collegiate level. Not like “good” on the sense of all American or all conference or anything. If u are on a D1 roster you are obv pretty good at said sport in comparison with a regular college student that doesn’t play sports.

Last edited:
No doubt military, sports, farm work shows structure and work ethic. There's zero room for laziness in either of the three. I remember waking up and having to bail hay at 6 in the morning when the bails, which were supposed to weight x amount of weight, being twice as heavy due to the dew. But since the weather was calling for rain at noon, it had to be done.

You mean getting the bails out of the field? Bc that same dew would choke up the hell out of most hay bailers.

Well actually I roll round bales so maybe u can bail square bails even if the hay is wet from a heavy dew.

You mean getting the bails out of the field? Bc that same dew would choke up the hell out of most hay bailers.

Well actually I roll round bales so maybe u can bail square bails even if the hay is wet from a heavy dew.
Square. What sucked the most was, No one would help, meaning we'd call ppl and ask "do you want to make some money", and they'd be like "nope, not at this hour". So the old man would drive, and I'd do all the heavy lifting. (pick it up, throw it on the wagon, pick it up again, stack it securely, when the wagon was full, go into the barn, pick it up again, toss it up in the loft, pick it up again and store it. x's hundreds of bails). Then come home, get a shower, and go to school. Back then, our school understood when farmers' kids would show up late.

*I remember some kids didn't/couldn't shower, and be made fun of b/c they had horse/cow shit on their boots by the lazy/privileged kids.

Last edited:
Yea when my grandfather and uncle were alive we did square bails too except we had a “shoot” for lack of a better word that would kick the bails off onto the wagon that was pulled behind the bailer. So I was the one on the wagon stacking all day.

When my uncle passed, the first thing farm related thing I did was sell that damn square bailer lol. Hated that mother ****er. Now I just roll round bails and try and make some smaller ones like at the end of the field if I only have 1/4 of a bail in the bailer I hit the lever to tie it off as opposed to leaving it in the bailer till the next time I rolled hay. And i usually buy 10-20 square bails a year to feed cows or calves I have to keep in the barn overnight so I can’t catch them up a day or so before auction day at the stockyard.

But I had no clue square bailers could could bail relatively wet hay but it makes sense bc they don’t have all those rollers and belts that get choked up on my bailer if I try to roll hay that’s too green or if I get get started too early and the hays still wet from the dew. I have a new holland 665 if ur familiar. Actually it might be 660. 665 and 660 are basically identical I honestly don’t know the difference besides the 5 instead of the 0

I live in trigg county so the farmers kids pretty much outnumbered the privileged, but that’s pretty shitty the experience u described above. Kids can be so mean and I have no room to talk. I was an asshole in high school, made fun/picked on kids just to try to make my friends laugh. If I could go back in time I’d go find myself at about 16/17 years old and beat the shit out of myself smh.

you had a smart momma

i never had a curfew, never needed one
as you said, having a job takes care of the curfew problem

ADVERTISEMENT