ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Reinstates MOP, but not the banner.

I mean, Kentucky would make $0 from the NCAA tournament in this hypothetical, right? Like they can’t play at all?
I mean, if you ain't a member---you don't get member benefits. EVen IF you miss the NCAAT, no bowls, etc, etc...you still get money. You're an NCAA member. It has nothing to do with making the tourney.

Very short. And even with the monies these schools produce, just how long could they support every non-revenue expense? All the while, maintaining their own programs? Coaching salaries---phys. salaries...trainer salaries...transportation...motels...uniforms...insurance...meals...shoes....equipment...travel gear...

Hell for baseball alone, thats roughly 40+ athletes. Then there's the pep band...mraching bands....So on, and so on.
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

According to this some schools barely even break even. Some even take a loss.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I mean, if you ain't a member---you don't get member benefits. EVen IF you miss the NCAAT, no bowls, etc, etc...you still get money. You're an NCAA member. It has nothing to do with making the tourney.
I’m talking about “if” Kentucky left the NCAA. They wouldn’t be able to play? Not sure how that works.

I have no idea how this will play out, I'm being a bit of a devil's advocate here. I can see both sides and I understand both sides, but clearly stuff is changing right before our eyes.

Also, it's going to be interesting to see NJIT win the NCAA and talk shit to the bluebloods on how "modern era" is the only stat that matters.
It will play out like this:

Said states adopt a pay for play.

NCAA bans said schools who participate, from any NCAA sanctioned events. By doing so, they also withhold any monies they would have been entitled to.

Said states say---"fck that".

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
A lot of schools do. I don't think SChooner, some realize how much the NCAA means to these schools, and the abilites for non-revenue sports to function.
Right. But that doesn’t mean it’s impossible for another entity to come in someday and replace the NCAA. I think that’s what Jimbo was originally getting at.

I’m talking about “if” Kentucky left the NCAA. They wouldn’t be able to play? Not sure how that works.
Not 100% sure. I know they wouldn't be eligible for any post-season tournaments...bowl games, etc...Or eligible for any money the NCAA allocates to said MEMBERED schools. I am sure they could play other NCAA schools. But IMO, the NCAA wouldn't count those games for NCAA member schools.

In other words, it wouldn't bold well.

NCAA bans said schools who participate, from any NCAA sanctioned events. By doing so, they also withhold any monies they would have been entitled to.

We'll see. More and more states are drafting bills. I read Indiana, North Carolina and New York are up next. (if it's on twitter it must be true)

But yeah, let's take all the blue bloods out of the NCAA tournament. It might as well be the NIT. :D

Right. But that doesn’t mean it’s impossible for another entity to come in someday and replace the NCAA. I think that’s what Jimbo was originally getting at.
Sure, its not impossible. But in the process, how many programs die? Then what do you have? A "new sheriff" with no one to sheriff...

We'll see. More and more states are drafting bills. I read Indiana, North Carolina and New York are up next.

But yeah, let's take all the blue bloods out of the NCAA tournament. It might as well be the NIT. :D
Eventually, I could see the Govern't dropping by..Probably even a few court dates. Possible the NCAA meets "halfway"? THough I doubt that.

In the end---I think the NCAA wins.

Eventually, I could see the Govern't dropping by..Probably even a few court dates. Possible the NCAA meets "halfway"? THough I doubt that.

In the end---I think the NCAA wins.
I agree, the NCAA would rather stall. stall stall,and eventually cave to keep their golden goose.

#neverforgetBCS

I agree, the NCAA would rather stall. stall stall,and eventually cave to keep their golden goose.
Can't blame them---Wouldn't you? I think the NCAA can be some crooked mutherfckers...But, they do a lot of good as well. IMO, they are no different than any other cooperation---Looking out for whats best for them, and their product. I mean, thats the God damn American way. Not so sure why folks are so upset..Winking

Just a small handful of things compared to what’s coming. Why are some of you so convinced the NCAA is invincible? There’s been talk for YEARS about how corrupt they are. It shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone people are finally sick of their shit and taking action.

i am not sure where i ever said they were invincible (maybe you could link that for me)
the NCAA is an organization made up of member schools
the schools are in charge of the NCAA, not the other way around
they give the NCAA power to do a lot of things, one of them is to punish schools that are caught cheating
very few schools have athletic departments that are in the black
even less schools have programs like WBB, baseball, golf.....ect that actually make money without the NCAA and their profit sharing system (so to speak)
they could get together and disband the NCAA anytime they want
do you really think the member schools want that?

Can't blame them---Wouldn't you? I think the NCAA can be some crooked mutherfckers...But, they do a lot of good as well. IMO, they are no different than any other cooperation---Looking out for whats best for them, and their product. I mean, thats the God damn American way. Not so sure why folks are so upset..Winking
buy cheap sell high. The American way since ....when did slaves come over? :eek:

THings do change..

Money however does not.

Where's it gonna come from JImbo? Where's the millions the NCAA provides, gonna come from brother? You didn't answer my question:

Do you think UK football/basketball could support every single non-revenue sport, at the University? On top of paying those said athletes....Providing them with 100% insurance---EVery.Single.Athlete. Where's the salary money come from?

You see, what the NCAA provides is a money blanket. Who's that blanket gonna be if schools leave?
We can move on, Borden.

Schools will not leave NCAA individually. The power 5 conferences could leave and set up theirs own association. The Big 10 and SEC paid out over 40 million dollars to each school. ACC will do the same soon with their new ACC network. That is before a single ticket or tee shirt is sold. Those conference schools can easily support minor sports. I do not think the NCAA will go away but it will morph into a different entity. Money will force it to change. The smaller schools that remain would become another NAIA if they bucked on the big conferences and let them leave. The NCAA is not the same entity it was in the 1940s. Television money has changed the landscape.

Reactions: RipThru
For everyone whose saying to just hang the banner anyways....are you all forgetting that UL is waiting for the NCAA to make a ruling over their 2nd cheating scandal. If I was a UL fan, I would be wanting them to stay as low as possible and not upset the NCAA any more then they already have.

Besides, this is hanging on the building directly across from the YUM center. It's what you see as you're walking in and out of the YUM center.
M

People are acting like the NCAA is something different then all of the schools we love. Our schools are what gives the NCAA any power that it does/doesn't have. Why in the world would any school leave a system that was put into place by said school? The only possible reason would be if it wasn't profitable. But, if the NCAA is one thing, it's profitable!

I’ll always think of Louisville as the 2013 NCAA champs. So stupid.
Kentucky fans have a hard time accepting reality, they hate the ncaa but love their arbitrary rules when it affects their rival. Pathetic.

Kentucky fans have a hard time accepting reality, they hate the ncaa but love their arbitrary rules when it affects their rival. Pathetic.

their rules are not arbitrary
now if you want to say the interpretation of their own rules is, then i would agree

their rules are not arbitrary
now if you want to say the interpretation of their own rules is, then i would agree
Their rules are arbitrary, and their selective punishment is fascinating. A crooked organization that will ultimately fall.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Well, you know me... I'm dancing on uofl's grave if their dealt a death blow.
giphy.gif

Schools will not leave NCAA individually. The power 5 conferences could leave and set up theirs own association. The Big 10 and SEC paid out over 40 million dollars to each school. ACC will do the same soon with their new ACC network. That is before a single ticket or tee shirt is sold. Those conference schools can easily support minor sports. I do not think the NCAA will go away but it will morph into a different entity. Money will force it to change. The smaller schools that remain would become another NAIA if they bucked on the big conferences and let them leave. The NCAA is not the same entity it was in the 1940s. Television money has changed the landscape.
Ummmm, I don't think you realize how much "minor" sports cost. And you are right---the NCAA isn't the same entity it was in the 1940"s----Its much bigger. More self-efficient....More powerful....Money will not force the NCAA to change. They reported $1.06 BILLION dollars of revenue last year. Money ain't gonna be an issue.

What if you have two individuals, both with solid, impeccable resumes....You conduxt interviews, and both knock it out the park. So now you need a "tie-breaker" so to speak. So you go back, reread their resumes, and notice---One played four years of baseball, while in college. He was a two-time team captain. Hmmm, you say. This guy played 4 years of ball, and was able to maintain a high level GPA, all the while having to juggle practice time and road trips. PLus---he was thought of enough that his teammates named him a captain---Twice. If hired and you asked your HR why, and they answered whit this----WOuld you still have to really question HR on their decision making?

I don’t really see how you can tie an interview, and interviews are what land entry level jobs, not resumes. Resumes get you in the door for an interview, but if u choke the interview it doesn’t much matter what ur resume looks like.

but anyways I could also look at it the other way. The ball player probly had unlimited access to tutors, might be used to special treatment being a local celebrity, etc. might not be able to conform to being treated like every other employee when they are used to being treated like the BMOC.

And I know it’s apples to oranges, but recently suspended Vontez Burfict was voted captain by his teammates and I wouldn’t want him anywhere near me or my company.

Where do you think the ncaa gets all this money they deal out? I mean u don’t think the biggest schools in the nation could support their own athletic departments without the ncaa, then where does the ncaa get all this money that they can deal out and support EVERY schools athletics programs regardless how much money said programs make themselves.

Last edited:
I don’t really see how you can tie an interview, and interviews are what land entry level jobs, not resumes. Resumes get you in the door for an interview, but if u choke the interview it doesn’t much matter what ur resume looks like.

but anyways I could also look at it the other way. The ball player probly had unlimited access to tutors, might be used to special treatment being a local celebrity, etc. might not be able to conform to being treated like every other employee when they are used to being treated like the BMOC.

And I know it’s apples to oranges, but recently suspended Vontez Burfict was voted captain by his teammates and I wouldn’t want him anywhere near me or my company.
As you said in your second sentence---Resumes get you in the door. Resumes are just as important,than the interview. A poorly constructed resume keeps you on the outside looking in. Rather you did or did not play a sport in college does not determine if you can do the said job you are applying for. BUT....if all else is equal, it sure can go a long ways. When I applied years a go for a job, the owner told me two things stuck out: My military service, and that I had played a sport(in college). So it helps, and it helps to list such things.

As you also stated, if you choke the interview..........Well, that's irrelevant to the discussion. If you "choke" an interview, odds are, the hiring employer isn't really going to care(resume). BUT, as the example I gave---IF you do not choke, nor does the other, and the employer decides to look back over said resumes. The fact that you played sports, was voted a captain, most certainly could be the swaying "vote" that gets you the nod.

As you said in your second sentence---Resumes get you in the door. Resumes are just as important,than the interview. A poorly constructed resume keeps you on the outside looking in. Rather you did or did not play a sport in college does not determine if you can do the said job you are applying for. BUT....if all else is equal, it sure can go a long ways. When I applied years a go for a job, the owner told me two things stuck out: My military service, and that I had played a sport(in college). So it helps, and it helps to list such things.

As you also stated, if you choke the interview..........Well, that's irrelevant to the discussion. If you "choke" an interview, odds are, the hiring employer isn't really going to care(resume). BUT, as the example I gave---IF you do not choke, nor does the other, and the employer decides to look back over said resumes. The fact that you played sports, was voted a captain, most certainly could be the swaying "vote" that gets you the nod.

I will concede to this given the line of thinking that two separate interviews can be a tie. We can play what if’s all day, but I will concede having sports on ur resume can only help, and you have convinced me I was wrong in my previous post. But every person doing the hiring is not looking for the same thing. My first job, the guy that interviewed me said one of the things that really stood out to him was that I stated during the interview that I grew up working on our family’s farm so I wasn’t afraid to get my hands dirty. And this wasn’t for a job in agriculture, so every situation is not the same. That might have meant more to him than if I had played baseball or football in college.

Edit: white flag

Last edited:
Where do you think the ncaa gets all this money they deal out?
It comes from the NCAAT. Look, both benefit from the other. With no teams, there is no NCAAT. But with no NCAA, well there is no NCAAT. So they go hand, in hand. BUT.....there are 340+ D1 teams. Losing 60 of them, or so, in which a majority of those said teams don't make the NCAAT to begin with, isn't going to be the straw that breaks the NCAA's back.

The NCAA returns roughly 95% of the money made, back to the schools. Which is roughly $900 million dollars. Do you think the schools that decide to jump ship, can generate that type of money? Nope. Not to mention the legal protection, provided by the NCAA.

The NCAA is going nowhere. If it were, it would have happened long ago. Well before the NCAA became the horse it is.

I will concede to this given the line of thinking that two separate interviews can be a tie. We can play what if’s all day, but I will concede having sports on ur resume can only help, and I was wrong. But every person doing the hiring is not looking for the same thing. My first job, the guy that interviewed me said one of the things that really stood out to him was that I stated during the interview that I grew up working on our family’s farm so I wasn’t afraid to get my hands dirty. And this wasn’t for a job in agriculture, so every situation is not the same.

Taking that into account let’s go back to the original concept of what does being good at a sport have to do with academia or being able to qualify for college when someone with the same gpa and act score would be ineligible for college if they couldn’t play a sport.
I don't recall it being stated that being GOOD at a sport...........Only that PLAYING a sport, could be a benefit. Hell, it doesn't have to be a sport. I know my listing of being in a fraternity , went a long ways(as well). And as you said, "not all job interviews" are equal, i.e. working on a farm was a power tool for you. It was for me as well. At the end of the day, it really depends on your interview. And more as what the said employer is looking for. Hell when I was hiring a while back, I looked over an application, and thought---"WTF--did a 10 year old fill this out"? I sat it to the side. BUT....the guy who filled it out, called. And called again. THEN...he shows up, at the shop. So I interview him.

Been with us for almost 3 years. One of the best hires we have ever made.

No doubt military, sports, farm work shows structure and work ethic. There's zero room for laziness in either of the three. I remember waking up and having to bail hay at 6 in the morning when the bails, which were supposed to weight x amount of weight, being twice as heavy due to the dew. But since the weather was calling for rain at noon, it had to be done.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
No doubt military, sports, farm work shows structure and work ethic. There's zero room for laziness in either of the three. I remember waking up and having to bail hay at 6 in the morning when the bails, which were supposed to weight x amount of weight, being twice as heavy due to the dew. But since the weather was calling for rain at noon, it had to be done.
When I was in HS, my grand-pa didn't require me to have a job, because I played sports. BUT.....I had to maintain all B's. ANd I mean ALL B's. One "C", and all bets were off. That was the easier part. Now, the hard part...

To earn spending money, I had to work on the family farm. That meant getting up at 4am to get chores done, before school. Milking, feeding, cleaning out barn/stalls, etc, etc...And that was done before any of classmates where even out of bed. My friends used to say--"Man dude, you are lucky. You don't have to work".Laughing

Yeah, right. I invited a few over, to show them how much I didn't have to "work". Needless to say, that perception fell to the wayside soon after.:D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT