ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Reinstates MOP, but not the banner.

Probly bc no fan of any program in 2019 cares what’s their team was doing in the early 1900s, except those that tie their own self worth to the historic tradition of their program.

But congrats on all those big wins that happened before ur grandparents were born, in which u probly can’t name a single player that played for either team in the early 1900s.

2013 was six years ago, so everyone remembers those games, urself included.

Probly bc no fan of any program in 2019 cares what’s their team was doing in the early 1900s, except those that tie their own self worth to the historic tradition of their program.

But congrats on all those big wins that happened before ur grandparents were born, in which u probly can’t name a single player that played for either team in the early 1900s.

2013 was six years ago, so everyone remembers those games, urself included.
@HRTheCard barely remembers your championship and doesn't remember 2012 all. He said so himself. :D

I don’t have a company or do any hiring, but if I did I’d want the most qualified person, regardless if they played div 1 sports or not. I mean ur right it can only help on ur resume, but if the deciding factor on whether u get hired on at an hospital or bank or law firm or really anywhere was that one person was a division 1 athlete where the other is not I’d have to really question HR on their decision making.
What if you have two individuals, both with solid, impeccable resumes....You conduxt interviews, and both knock it out the park. So now you need a "tie-breaker" so to speak. So you go back, reread their resumes, and notice---One played four years of baseball, while in college. He was a two-time team captain. Hmmm, you say. This guy played 4 years of ball, and was able to maintain a high level GPA, all the while having to juggle practice time and road trips. PLus---he was thought of enough that his teammates named him a captain---Twice. If hired and you asked your HR why, and they answered whit this----WOuld you still have to really question HR on their decision making?

Why does the NCAA care about what students in high school do with academics, SAT, ACT scores to the point they can make kids ineligible to get in college, and then not have any leverage on the academics while they are in college? What about that “student athlete” they always promote?
They have leverage---AS in making sure you keep a standard GPA, and complete enough hours. What they cannot control, is what those classes are, and how they are offered.

There's a difference.

More states following the lead this morning. NCAA should start counting its days
I only know of Ohio,are there other's?

I was lurking the Duke board and brought up, Florida, Kentucky and Ohio as states actively pursuing this.

One thing that sticks out is California's won't take effect until 2023, however, Florida's if passed, will take effect this coming July. That really moves the time table up for the NCAA.

Reactions: JimboBBN
More states following the lead this morning. NCAA should start counting its days
Jimbo, Jimbo, Jimbo-----Brother, we've been over this. C'mon, now. You really think an organization thats been around since 1910, is just gonna "go away"? Dude----they offer waaaaay to much to said schools. And I'm not talking about the basketball and football aspects, as much as the baseball, soccer, tennis, track/field, etc, etc...There is to much $$$ coming from the NCAA that allows those programs to survive. Not to mention the educational money the NCAA provides. Take that away, and.............Or the money that goes toward scholarships.....Or the legal protection the NCAA provides.....Or the venues the NCAA provides....Or the TV contracts.....

It ain't happening.

Jimbo, Jimbo, Jimbo-----Brother, we've been over this. C'mon, now. You really think an organization thats been around since 1910, is just gonna "go away"? Dude----they offer waaaaay to much to said schools. And I'm not talking about the basketball and football aspects, as much as the baseball, soccer, tennis, track/field, etc, etc...There is to much $$$ coming from the NCAA that allows those programs to survive. Not to mention the educational money the NCAA provides. Take that away, and.............Or the money that goes toward scholarships.....Or the legal protection the NCAA provides.....Or the venues the NCAA provides....Or the TV contracts.....

It ain't happening.
Just wait Borden. You’ll see. Not saying it’ll be this year or the next one. The NCAAs days are numbered.

I only know of Ohio,are there other's?

I was lurking the Duke board and brought up, Florida, Kentucky and Ohio as states actively pursuing this.

One thing that sticks out is California's won't take effect until 2023, however, Florida's if passed, will take effect this coming July. That really moves the time table up for the NCAA.
Yup. If the NCAA is going to draw a line in the sand they’re pretty much giving themselves a death sentence. You really don’t think they want the revenue from California? How about the revenue generated by Kentucky and Louisville fans during March? The list will only expand as more states create bills.

They can either evolve and allow kids to be paid or they can die a slow and painful death. There is no in between at this point.

They have leverage---AS in making sure you keep a standard GPA, and complete enough hours. What they cannot control, is what those classes are, and how they are offered.

There's a difference.
A standard GPA means nothing if you are taking no show classes and non Professors are changing grades.

Yup. If the NCAA is going to draw a line in the sand they’re pretty much giving themselves a death sentence. You really don’t think they want the revenue from California? How about the revenue generated by Kentucky and Louisville fans during March? The list will only expand as more states create bills.

They can either evolve and allow kids to be paid or they can die a slow and painful death. There is no in between at this point.

i highly doubt they care about the CBB revenue (pennies) from California
no doubt they care a lot about the CBB revenue the state of Kentucky generates

i highly doubt they care about the CBB revenue (pennies) from California
no doubt they care a lot about the CBB revenue the state of Kentucky generates
Just a small handful of things compared to what’s coming. Why are some of you so convinced the NCAA is invincible? There’s been talk for YEARS about how corrupt they are. It shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone people are finally sick of their shit and taking action.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Just a small handful of things compared to what’s coming. Why are some of you so convinced the NCAA is invincible? There’s been talk for YEARS about how corrupt they are. It shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone people are finally sick of their shit and taking action.
There’s no reason not to think that a group of some very well organized thinkers can’t form a new entity that’s sole purpose is to replicate what the NCAA does but only better and more effective. There would have to be a lot of money, funding and ridiculously long and ambiguous legal documents but it could happen.

I think.

Reactions: JimboBBN
A standard GPA means nothing if you are taking no show classes and non Professors are changing grades.
Sure it does---It means you can play. The NCAA cannot govern what types of classes you are taking, i.e. no show classes. And good luck trying to prove professors are changing grades. The NCAA sets a standard that athletes must meet, i.e. ACT, SAT, GPA...However, they do not control how those standards are met----As in, what types of classes you take.

Sure it does---It means you can play. The NCAA cannot govern what types of classes you are taking, i.e. no show classes. And good luck trying to prove professors are changing grades. The NCAA sets a standard that athletes must meet, i.e. ACT, SAT, GPA...However, they do not control how those standards are met----As in, what types of classes you take.
So why did they (NCAA) care about...

his 20-question test was the final--and only--exam for Georgia assistant coach Jim Harrick Jr.'s Coaching Principles and Strategies of Basketball class in 2001. The test, released by the school Wednesday, was uncovered during an NCAA investigation that resulted in the firing of Harrick Jr. and his father, the head coach, and landed Georgia on probation.

1. How many goals are on a basketball court?

a. 1, b. 2, c. 3, d. 4

2. How many players are allowed to play at one time on any one team in a regulation game?

a. 2, b. 3, c. 4, d. 5

3. In what league to (sic) the Georgia Bulldogs compete?

a. ACC, b. Big Ten, c. SEC, d. Pac-10

4. What is the name of the coliseum where the Georgia Bulldogs play?

a. Cameron Arena, b. Stegeman Coliseum

c. Carrier Dome, d. Pauley Pavilion

5. How many halves are in a college basketball game?

a. 1, b. 2, c. 3, d. 4

6. How many quarters are in a high school basketball game?

a. 1, b. 2, c. 3, d. 4

7. How many points does one field goal account for in a basketball game?

a. 1, b. 2, c. 3, d. 4

8. How many points does a 3-point field goal account for in a basketball game?

a. 1, b. 2, c. 3, d. 4

9. How many officials referee a college basketball game?

a. 2, b. 4, c. 6, d. 3

10. How many teams are in the NCAA Men's Basketball National Championship Tournament?

a. 48, b. 64, c. 65, d. 32

11. What is the name of the exam which all high school seniors in the State of Georgia must pass?

a. Eye exam, b. How do grits taste exam

c. Bug control exam, d. Georgia exit exam

12. What basic color are the uniforms the Georgia Bulldogs wear in home games?

a. White, b. Red, c. Black, d. Silver

13. What basic color are the uniforms the Georgia Bulldogs wear in away games?

a. Pink, b. Blue, c. Orange, d. Red

14. How many minutes are played in a college basketball contest?

a. 20, b. 40, c. 60, d. 90

15. How many minutes are played in a high school basketball game?

a. 15, b. 30, c. 32, d. 45

16. Diagram the 3-point line.

17. Diagram the halfcourt line.

18. How many fouls is a player allowed to have in one basketball game before fouling out in that game?

a. 3, b. 5, c. 7, d. 0

19. If you go on to become a huge coaching success, to whom will you tribute (sic) the credit?

a. Mike Krzyzewski, b. Bobby Knight

c. John Wooden, d. Jim Harrick Jr.

20. In your opinion, who is the best Division I assistant coach in the country?

a. Ron Jursa (sic), b. Jon Pelphrey

c. Jim Harrick Jr., d. Steve Wojciechowski

There's a reason its only been talk. That reason?

giphy.gif

I've listed the millions upon millions the NCAA gives back to the schools. Scholarship funds....educational funds....research funds....Not to mention helping support non-revenue sports. Look, do you think UK football/basketball could support the baseball, WBB, soccer, track/field, cross country, lacrosse, tennis, volleyball, softball, archery teams, etc, etc...? I don't. Not to mention the pep band...marching band....team trainers, etc, etc... This on top of supporting their own program(s)? Look, I know you guys pride yourselves on your following, your deeep pocket boosters, and so on. But dude----I mean, thats a whole lot of cheddar----For a long, long time. No Bowl money----No NCAAT money....None of the above listed amenities the NCAA offers. Not to mention the legal protection the NCAA provides.

You're a fool if you think the NCAA is going anywhere.

I love how Louisville fans love to bitch and moan that UK leads the football series because we won a bunch of games early on. They happened in the early 1900s so they dont matter.

Now here, all of a sudden its "the games happened, you cant change it! Derp!"

What a bunch of brainless ****ing hypocrites. Cant have it both ways dipshits.
Woah, Rafters is that way pal. Yikes.

....wasn't he the one Katina said was a 'Quick Trigger'...? Laughing
That whore was full of shit. She’s where she belongs now, behind bars. Meanwhile Trez making millions on the best team in the league averaging 17 & 7.

Not to mention helping support non-revenue sports. Look, do you think UK football/basketball could support the baseball, WBB, soccer, track/field, cross country, lacrosse, tennis, volleyball, softball, archery teams, etc, etc...? I don't. Not to mention the pep band...marching band....team trainers, etc, etc... This on top of supporting their own program(s)? Look, I know you guys pride yourselves on your following, your deeep pocket boosters, and so on. But dude----I mean, thats a whole lot of cheddar----For a long, long time. No Bowl money----No NCAAT money....None of the above listed amenities the NCAA offers. Not to mention the legal protection the NCAA provides.

yes, and we give money back to the University to build science/med/ and student centers.

*I understand your point, but using UK is a bad example. We're one of a very few who can do so.

yes and we give money back to the University to build science/med/ and student centers.
Sure. All schools do. But what you are not getting is if UK leaves the NCAA, they leave millions on the table. You really think UK football/basketball could support every single non-revenue sport at the University? Pay for their uniforms...travel...food. Not to mention, now UK alone becomes responsible for every single student athletes insurance----They now stand alone legally, w/o the protected rights the NCAA offers. Wheres the money come from? Not to mention, and obviously most important---officials. And their pay. Running rate for a 3 man crew in the SEC is about 3-5K---Per night, in conference. Football I dunno. Baseball? SEC OOC pay is around $400---per game--per umpire. Conference slated games are around $1,900, per umpire, for a series. So a weekend series is gonna cost you roughly 7 grand...Not to mention hotels. Thats ONE series.

Sure, its not a ton at the start. But year after year---With no NCAA monies coming in?

Yeah, good luck.

Sure. All schools do. But what you are not getting is if UK leaves the NCAA, they leave millions on the table. You really think UK football/basketball could support every single non-revenue sport at the University? Pay for their uniforms...travel...food. Not to mention, now UK alone becomes responsible for every single student athletes insurance----They now stand alone legally, w/o the protected rights the NCAA offers. Wheres the money come from? Not to mention, and obviously most important---officials. And their pay. Running rate for a 3 man crew in the SEC is about 3-5K---Per night, in conference. Football I dunno. Baseball? SEC OOC pay is around $400---per game--per umpire. Conference slated games are around $1,900, per umpire, for a series. So a weekend series is gonna cost you roughly 7 grand...Not to mention hotels. Thats ONE series.

Sure, its not a ton at the start. But year after year---With no NCAA monies coming in?

Yeah, good luck.
There's no doubt small schools would suffer without the NCAA. Schools who don't have tv deals, conference deals, merch etc.would suffer horribly w/o the NCAA.

So why did they (NCAA) care about...

his 20-question test was the final--and only--exam for Georgia assistant coach Jim Harrick Jr.'s Coaching Principles and Strategies of Basketball class in 2001. The test, released by the school Wednesday, was uncovered during an NCAA investigation that resulted in the firing of Harrick Jr. and his father, the head coach, and landed Georgia on probation.

1. How many goals are on a basketball court?

a. 1, b. 2, c. 3, d. 4

2. How many players are allowed to play at one time on any one team in a regulation game?

a. 2, b. 3, c. 4, d. 5

3. In what league to (sic) the Georgia Bulldogs compete?

a. ACC, b. Big Ten, c. SEC, d. Pac-10

4. What is the name of the coliseum where the Georgia Bulldogs play?

a. Cameron Arena, b. Stegeman Coliseum

c. Carrier Dome, d. Pauley Pavilion

5. How many halves are in a college basketball game?

a. 1, b. 2, c. 3, d. 4

6. How many quarters are in a high school basketball game?

a. 1, b. 2, c. 3, d. 4

7. How many points does one field goal account for in a basketball game?

a. 1, b. 2, c. 3, d. 4

8. How many points does a 3-point field goal account for in a basketball game?

a. 1, b. 2, c. 3, d. 4

9. How many officials referee a college basketball game?

a. 2, b. 4, c. 6, d. 3

10. How many teams are in the NCAA Men's Basketball National Championship Tournament?

a. 48, b. 64, c. 65, d. 32

11. What is the name of the exam which all high school seniors in the State of Georgia must pass?

a. Eye exam, b. How do grits taste exam

c. Bug control exam, d. Georgia exit exam

12. What basic color are the uniforms the Georgia Bulldogs wear in home games?

a. White, b. Red, c. Black, d. Silver

13. What basic color are the uniforms the Georgia Bulldogs wear in away games?

a. Pink, b. Blue, c. Orange, d. Red

14. How many minutes are played in a college basketball contest?

a. 20, b. 40, c. 60, d. 90

15. How many minutes are played in a high school basketball game?

a. 15, b. 30, c. 32, d. 45

16. Diagram the 3-point line.

17. Diagram the halfcourt line.

18. How many fouls is a player allowed to have in one basketball game before fouling out in that game?

a. 3, b. 5, c. 7, d. 0

19. If you go on to become a huge coaching success, to whom will you tribute (sic) the credit?

a. Mike Krzyzewski, b. Bobby Knight

c. John Wooden, d. Jim Harrick Jr.

20. In your opinion, who is the best Division I assistant coach in the country?

a. Ron Jursa (sic), b. Jon Pelphrey

c. Jim Harrick Jr., d. Steve Wojciechowski
Thats part of investigation...Its not why he was fired. C;mon, Lurker---You are reaching, here.

There's no doubt small schools would suffer without the NCAA.
All schools would. Kentucky, Duke, Indiana, UNC, KU....EVery single one of them. No way that two sports can support 17 or so, other sports. Travel, uniforms, food, hotel, per diem money, etc, etc....One by one, non-revenue sports would die off. It would then start to impact the university itself, i.e. less students...Which means, yep--Less money.

All schools would. Kentucky, Duke, Indiana, UNC, KU....EVery single one of them. No way that two sports can support 17 or so, other sports. Travel, uniforms, food, hotel, per diem money, etc, etc....One by one, non-revenue sports would die off. It would then start to impact the university itself, i.e. less students...Which means, yep--Less money.
Do you think the NCAA is a monopoly. Should there be competition?

If the NCAA went away and was used for smaller schools, do you think a new organization would step in and fill the vacuum/void?

There's a reason its only been talk. That reason?

giphy.gif

I've listed the millions upon millions the NCAA gives back to the schools. Scholarship funds....educational funds....research funds....Not to mention helping support non-revenue sports. Look, do you think UK football/basketball could support the baseball, WBB, soccer, track/field, cross country, lacrosse, tennis, volleyball, softball, archery teams, etc, etc...? I don't. Not to mention the pep band...marching band....team trainers, etc, etc... This on top of supporting their own program(s)? Look, I know you guys pride yourselves on your following, your deeep pocket boosters, and so on. But dude----I mean, thats a whole lot of cheddar----For a long, long time. No Bowl money----No NCAAT money....None of the above listed amenities the NCAA offers. Not to mention the legal protection the NCAA provides.

You’re a fool I’d you think they aren’t going anywhere. Sports evolve and things change. It won’t be this year or next, but it is happening. Truthfully I don’t care if you want to turn a blind eye or not. They’ve drawn a line in the sand and it will cost them unless they evolve.

Maybe one day they'll be a NCAA and a (fill in the blank), and just like the AFC and NFC, they'll merge to play for a title. I'm guessing the (fill in the blank) will win everytime.

Meaning, if the NCAA isn't the monopoly, the new competitor will still be able to do all the stuff the NCAA used to do w/o backward ass thinking.

You’re a fool I’d you think they aren’t going anywhere. Sports evolve and things change. It won’t be this year or next, but it is happening. Truthfully I don’t care if you want to turn a blind eye or not. They’ve drawn a line in the sand and it will cost them unless they evolve.
THings do change..

Money however does not.

Where's it gonna come from JImbo? Where's the millions the NCAA provides, gonna come from brother? You didn't answer my question:

Do you think UK football/basketball could support every single non-revenue sport, at the University? On top of paying those said athletes....Providing them with 100% insurance---EVery.Single.Athlete. Where's the salary money come from?

You see, what the NCAA provides is a money blanket. Who's that blanket gonna be if schools leave?

I really believe the NCAA will continue to exist for smaller schools. They're not going away, however, I think we're witnessing change.

Do you think the NCAA is a monopoly. Should there be competition?

If the NCAA went away and was used for smaller schools, do you think a new organization would step in and fill the vacuum/void?
To an extent, yeah. But then again---you don't have to be an NCAA member. I mean, only if you want part of the $400 plus millions they give back, every year...Or only if you want to be part of the legal protection they provide...Or the TV contracts....Or the platforms to play your tournament in. Other than that---There's always the NAIA.

There has been competition: It didn't do to well.

I'm getting ready to head to Lexington, so not much more time. The NCAA provides so much to membered schools. There's a reason they've been around since 1910...And will continue to do so.

Look if said states like Cali, Kentucky, Ohio, and others wanna split off---Ok. Lets see how that works out. Especially when the NCAA tells member schools---"you cannot play these schools". Sure, other states/schools may, or may not follow. But then what we'll have is The P5 by itself. No way it survives. Not enough money. Interest will die out.

THen what?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
To an extent, yeah. But then again---you don't have to be an NCAA member. I mean, only if you want part of the $400 plus millions they give back, every year...Or only if you want to be part of the legal protection they provide...Or the TV contracts....Or the platforms to play your tournament in. Other than that---There's always the NAIA.

There has been competition: It didn't do to well.

I'm getting ready to head to Lexington, so not much more time. The NCAA provides so much to membered schools. There's a reason they've been around since 1910...And will continue to do so.

Look if said states like Cali, Kentucky, Ohio, and others wanna split off---Ok. Lets see how that works out. Especially when the NCAA tells member schools---"you cannot play these schools". Sure, other states/schools may, or may not follow. But then what we'll have is The P5 by itself. No way it survives. Not enough money. Interest will die out.

THen what?
Just one last thing, it's not just Cali, Kentucky, Florida, Ohio that are drafting bills.I'm guessing it'll be on a federal level before long.

I really believe the NCAA will continue to exist for smaller schools. They're not going away, however, I think we're witnessing change.
I dunno why some of you think "BIGGER" schools will be exempt, from this. Again, do you think UK football/basketball, could support every non-revenue sport, on its own---All the while, maintaining its own needs? You do realize the NCAA gives millions to each NCAA membered school, to help fund non-revenue sports---Right?

I don’t think Kentucky could survive on their own. It would have to be a huge name school that is football first.

Texas
Michigan
Ohio State

Schools like that. Schools with a ton of revenue in high populated states. It’s a very short list.

I dunno why some of you think "BIGGER" schools will be exempt, from this. Again, do you think UK football/basketball, could support every non-revenue sport, on its own---All the while, maintaining its own needs? You do realize the NCAA gives millions to each NCAA membered school, to help fund non-revenue sports---Right?
I thought I already answered this. Not into circles my friend. Have fun in Lexington.

Just one last thing, it's not just Cali, Kentucky, Florida, Ohio that are drafting bills.
I mentioned Kentucky and Ohio. And thats fine. When they have to play a round robin of UK vs Dayton vs FLorida vs YOungstown St vs Cincy, vs Pepperdine----Lets see how the TV ratings go.

I mean, Kentucky would make $0 from the NCAA tournament in this hypothetical, right? Like they can’t play at all?

I don’t think Kentucky could survive on their own. It would have to be a huge name school that is football first.

Texas
Michigan
Ohio State

Schools like that. Schools with a ton of revenue in high populated states. It’s a very short list.
Very short. And even with the monies these schools produce, just how long could they support every non-revenue expense? All the while, maintaining their own programs? Coaching salaries---phys. salaries...trainer salaries...transportation...motels...uniforms...insurance...meals...shoes....equipment...travel gear...

Hell for baseball alone, thats roughly 40+ athletes. Then there's the pep band...mraching bands....So on, and so on.

I have no idea how this will play out, I'm being a bit of a devil's advocate here. I can see both sides and I understand both sides, but clearly stuff is changing right before our eyes.

Also, it's going to be interesting to see NJIT win the NCAA and talk shit to the bluebloods on how "modern era" is the only stat that matters.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
ADVERTISEMENT