ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Reinstates MOP, but not the banner.

HRTheCard

Sep 15, 2016
Team
Louisville
Luke Hancock among others got their stats and records reinstated in a settlement with the NCAA. However, the banner will stay “vacated.”

Doesn’t make much sense.

Luke Hancock is now officially recognized by the NCAA for winning the MOP award in a still vacated Final Four.

Of all the punishments "those wins don't count" seems like the weakest of all. Unless you are in the hunt for all time wins, I suppose. You can't exactly take those already lived experiences away from the schools or fans. I'd hang a banner that says

2013 National Champions*
*In our hearts

All they’d have to do is hang a banner that said 2013 national champions and not put the letters NCAA on it. I would have done that the second they vacated it just as a big FU

Reactions: KyFaninNC
All they’d have to do is hang a banner that said 2013 national champions and not put the letters NCAA on it. I would have done that the second they vacated it just as a big FU
I think that is a great idea and you all should definitely do it.

Our administration has already proven the only thing they are willing to do for the ncaa is bend over.

Meh, I was there..we won. Ncaa is a joke and everyone knows it.

The five UL players who went to court(don't remember their names) all got their stats and playing time back.

*found it.

Luke Hancock among others got their stats and records reinstated in a settlement with the NCAA. However, the banner will stay “vacated.”

Doesn’t make much sense.

Luke Hancock is now officially recognized by the NCAA for winning the MOP award in a still vacated Final Four.

Those folks can sure twist logic.

But, pretty soon the NCAA records will be in the dust bin of history as the NCAA will be gone if California State government and several other states gets their way, there will be no NCAA.

Girls sport will go bye, bye. It will be the death of girl sports as there is no profession clubs that can afford a follower-less sport. Division II sports will have no revenue stream to support them either.

I don't give a shit. After 2023 I will probably be dead.

I have a feeling the ncaa will eventually cave to the pay for play act if indeed Florida and New York are pushing it too.

If the ncaa goes bye bye then so does their employees and their fat ass paychecks. And I know they want their money more than anything, even if it means rewriting all the amateurism rules.

I believe the players should be compensated but I think Cali is playing a dangerous game. For instance when big boosters get involved they could potentially pay recruits or players from their school an unlimited amount of money for their autograph or a commercial. I just see that getting out of hand with some of the big boosters. Instead of the shoe companies paying 6 figures it will be the boosters of the schools that are fortunate enough to have them. Hell I could potentially see some schools boosters paying some kids more than their first nba contract. Not to mention the shoe companies could legally give college athletes endorsement deals.

If they don’t have some sort of “salary cap” or something then I could see things spiraling out of control fairly quickly as far as the parity and unpredictable nature of March madness that most cbb fans have grown to love.

NCAA ain't going nowhere....

If schools disband from the NCAA, they will fail.....

Kids do not need to be paid. If they do not want to be "taken advantage of", then don't go to school.

This argument for their "image and likeliness" is asinine. Exactly where do they think their likeliness and image is put on display? Yep---At the University they choose to play at. If not for that, then what platform is there for them to have their likeliness and image displayed? Yep---Overseas..."D" league, etc, etc...Its not like they don't have options. And BTW---good luck with that, while playing in Turkey---Instead of Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc, etc...

Reactions: RipThru
NCAA ain't going nowhere....

If schools disband from the NCAA, they will fail.....

Kids do not need to be paid. If they do not want to be "taken advantage of", then don't go to school.

This argument for their "image and likeliness" is asinine. Exactly where do they think their likeliness and image is put on display? Yep---At the University they choose to play at. If not for that, then what platform is there for them to have their likeliness and image displayed? Yep---Overseas..."D" league, etc, etc...Its not like they don't have options. And BTW---good luck with that, while playing in Turkey---Instead of Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc, etc...
I think you’re being a tad optimistic as far as the NCAA goes. If enough states follow this, and they will, there will be no need for the NCAA anymore. Zero.

Reactions: UL_1986
I think you’re being a tad optimistic as far as the NCAA goes. If enough states follow this, and they will, there will be no need for the NCAA anymore. Zero.
I think a lot of you are unaware of how important the NCAA is. If they were not, schools would have disbanded a long, long time ago. NCAA funnels money back to schools for scholarships, athletic programs(non-revenus), education programs, legal assistance...So on and so on. NCAA provides more than just a platform to play on.

I think a lot of you are unaware of how important the NCAA is. If they were not, schools would have disbanded a long, long time ago. NCAA funnels money back to schools for scholarships, athletic programs(non-revenus), education programs, legal assistance...So on and so on. NCAA provides more than just a platform to play on.
There may have been a time where the NCAA was necessary but it’s not anymore. These schools make tons of money off of TV deals now, not to mention the extra money they would pocket from any sort of postseason that was formed. It’s a different age Borden. These schools and conferences have become powerful enough to do pretty much whatever they want.

There may have been a time where the NCAA was necessary but it’s not anymore. These schools make tons of money off of TV deals now, not to mention the extra money they would pocket from any sort of postseason that was formed. It’s a different age Borden. These schools and conferences have become powerful enough to do pretty much whatever they want.
Not really. For one, being a member of the NCAA protects schools from lawsuits, challenge of amateur status, and so forth. Also, they(NCAA) provide a ton of money:

• $210.8M Sport Sponsorship and Scholarship Funds
Distributed to Division I schools to help fund NCAA sports and provide scholarships for college athletes.
  • $160.5M Division I Basketball Performance Fund
Distributed to Division I conferences and independent schools based on their performance in the men’s basketball tournament over a six-year rolling period. The money is used to fund NCAA sports and provide scholarships for college athletes.
  • $96.7M Division I Championships
Provides college athletes the opportunity to compete for a championship and includes support for team travel, food and lodging.
  • $82.2M Student Assistance Fund
Distributed to Division I student-athletes for essential needs that arise during their time in college.
  • $71.8M Student-Athlete Services
Includes funding for catastrophic injury insurance, drug testing, student-athlete leadership programs, postgraduate scholarships and additional Association-wide championships support.
  • $50.3M Division I Equal Conference Fund
Distributed equally among Division I basketball-playing conferences that meet athletic and academic standards to play in the men's basketball tournament. The money is used to fund NCAA sports and provide scholarships for college athletes.
  • $46.7M Academic Enhancement Fund
Distributed to Division I schools to assist with academic programs and services.
  • $42.3M Division II Allocation
Funds championships, grants and other initiatives for Division II college athletes.
  • $39.6M Membership Support Services
Covers costs related to NCAA governance committees and the annual NCAA Convention.
  • $28.2M Division III Allocation
Funds championships, grants and other initiatives for Division III college athletes.
  • $9.5M Division I Conference Grants
Distributed to Division I conferences for programs that enhance officiating, compliance, minority opportunities and more.
  • $3.3M Educational Programs
Supports various educational services for members to help prepare student-athletes for life, including the Women Coaches Academy, the Emerging Leaders Seminars and the Pathway Programs

They making enough to make-up for this?

Hell, kids have been getting paid for years, if not directly then indirectly thru their family. NCAA and their feckless enforcement and false mantra about it being all about the "student athlete" was proven false when the got afraid to punish UNC. The OAD has ruined college basketball, incessant rules changes, terrible officiating, brought this all on themselves.

Honestly, would not bother me if college sports went extinct, let the pro leagues figure out what to do. College should be for students and learning.

Hell, kids have been getting paid for years, if not directly then indirectly thru their family. NCAA and their feckless enforcement and false mantra about it being all about the "student athlete" was proven false when the got afraid to punish UNC. The OAD has ruined college basketball, incessant rules changes, terrible officiating, brought this all on themselves.

Honestly, would not bother me if college sports went extinct, let the pro leagues figure out what to do. College should be for students and learning.

I’m with you there. The whole system is ridiculous honestly. Like Institutions of higher learning from community or online classes to the Ivy League, is about educating men and women so they can get good jobs. It had nothing to do with sports, absolutely nothing. If you aren’t good enough to play professional sports no company, or business or whatever is going to care whether u can shoot a basketball or catch a football. Higher education and sports have nothing in common, except the money the colleges gain from tuition and the AD. Literally the only common denominator between the two is revenue.

If you aren’t good enough to play professional sports no company, or business or whatever is going to care whether u can shoot a basketball or catch a football.
Companies will care. Competing in sports at a high level like the NCAA will show that you have the ability to be dedicated to something and excel at it. You’re encouraged to list your sports achievements on your resume if they are noteworthy.

Also, if you happen to be one of those really good in college type players that has no pro chance you probably have a pretty damn good shot of getting hired in the region where you went to school.

Reactions: FFWhite
And I don’t really mean that college sports should die, I’d be ok watching the equivalent of walk on level talent but actual students getting the same treatment as every other student that wants to play whatever sport. Basically an intramural all star squad from each school. I just think the idea of giving someone a scholarship to an academia based institution bc they are good at sports is crazy. One has nothing to with the other.

Now I can understand that athletic scholarships have given millions of opportunities to kids that wouldn’t have had them had they not been good at sports, And appreciate that aspect of it.

Companies will care. Competing in sports at a high level like the NCAA will show that you have the ability to be dedicated to something and excel at it. You’re encouraged to list your sports achievements on your resume if they are noteworthy.

Also, if you happen to be one of those really good in college type players that has no pro chance you probably have a pretty damn good shot of getting hired in the region where you went to school.

I don’t have a company or do any hiring, but if I did I’d want the most qualified person, regardless if they played div 1 sports or not. I mean ur right it can only help on ur resume, but if the deciding factor on whether u get hired on at an hospital or bank or law firm or really anywhere was that one person was a division 1 athlete where the other is not I’d have to really question HR on their decision making. I could see that getting someone an interview they might not have gotten otherwise though.

I will agree with ur second paragraph though. That’s definitely true

Last edited:
I don’t have a company or do any hiring, but if I did I’d want the most qualified person, regardless if they played div 1 sports or not. I mean ur right it can only help on ur resume, but if the deciding factor on whether u get hired on at an hospital or bank or law firm or really anywhere was that one person was a division 1 athlete where the other is not I’d have to really question HR on their decision making.

I will agree with ur second paragraph though. But that’s not gonna add up to a whole lot of people.
Having been good at sports won’t be the deciding factor but it stands out to a company/recruiter who receives hundreds of resumes for posted jobs.

As long as UNC gets to keep banners won by kids that weren’t even in real classes I don’t see what the big deal is. It makes a few prostitutes look like child’s play in comparison.

Why does the NCAA care about what students in high school do with academics, SAT, ACT scores to the point they can make kids ineligible to get in college, and then not have any leverage on the academics while they are in college? What about that “student athlete” they always promote?

I love how Louisville fans love to bitch and moan that UK leads the football series because we won a bunch of games early on. They happened in the early 1900s so they dont matter.

Now here, all of a sudden its "the games happened, you cant change it! Derp!"

What a bunch of brainless ****ing hypocrites. Cant have it both ways dipshits.

Reactions: FFWhite
ADVERTISEMENT