ADVERTISEMENT

Most watched regular season games on ESPN this season

People under 72 don't keep recorded vhs (for the young'ins, vhs was a... Ahh fk it).

Yeah, so you DON'T have a house packed with 72,000 video taped games? Hah! More proof that Duke has no fans!

I think the biggest problem is that ESPN prioritizes individual players instead of teams. That's not an issue when it comes to tennis. But college basketball is a team sport. There are plenty of great teams out there that get very little recognition in comparison simply because they lack the electrifying talent that Zion possesses. I get that ESPN is an entertainment company more than a sports company but I don't think ESPN is just reveling in it. They have an agenda and are pushing it as much as they can.

Oh, for sure ESPN has an agenda (get people to watch) and are pushing it. But if Zion was some boring average player, then ESPN wouldn't be pushing him. First comes the otherworldly talent, THEN comes the ESPN BJs.

Reactions: sgrooms
People under 72 don't keep recorded vhs (for the young'ins, vhs was a... Ahh fk it).
I converted the tapes to DVD. VHS was wonderful in 1977 when for the first time you could record TV. DVD was higher resolution and was a great leap forward. I seems to recall that being available in 2002. Now bluray has even more resolution.

Anyway you apparently missed my point. Duke fans can't have a collection like mine because all of Dukes games have not been on TV.

Reactions: JC for 3
I converted the tapes to DVD. VHS was wonderful in 1977 when for the first time you could record TV. DVD was higher resolution and was a great leap forward. I seems to recall that being available in 2002. Now bluray has even more resolution.

Anyway you apparently missed my point. Duke fans can't have a collection like mine because all of Dukes games have not been on TV.
How many times have you gone back in your library and rewatched this one?

Oh, for sure ESPN has an agenda (get people to watch) and are pushing it. But if Zion was some boring average player, then ESPN wouldn't be pushing him. First comes the otherworldly talent, THEN comes the ESPN BJs.

But he also wouldn't get this amount of attention if he played for any other team as well. With Duke, you get more negative attention (Grayson Allen) and more positive attention (Zion) than if these situations occurred at other schools.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Don’t get me wrong Zion is excellent, but there’s a point when you’re just hyping it too much. All you hear is how good Zion plays. Duke is Zion. I would be pissed if I were Barret, he goes totally unnoticed as does the rest of the duke team. It’s like a song you really like, but the radio station plays it to death and you start hating the song. You don’t have to praise and hype him every 15 minutes on espn. People are going to end up hating the guy. It’s similar to when Johnny Manziel was a hot topic. Every time you’d turn it to espn, they’d be talking about him. John Wall was a big star, but never got this much hype, and I still think it was a little over the top with the hype Wall was getting.

Oh no, Duke games weren't on TV in 1977! The horror! Clearly the fact that Kentucky is a big state school which had little local broadcasts of games shows that Kentucky HAS THE GREATEST FANS EVER and Duke has no fans!!11!!

Every single Duke game was broadcast this year, same as every year, for years. And just like every year, the most watched games of the year often involve Duke.

But yes, Duke has no fans, UK has every fan, Duke can't sell tickets for games, Kentucky has a 6,000 year wait list, blah blah blah.

But he also wouldn't get this amount of attention if he played for any other team as well. With Duke, you get more negative attention (Grayson Allen) and more positive attention (Zion) than if these situations occurred at other schools.

Sure, I don't disagree. And yes, they absolutely go overboard. But at the heart of the matter is that Zion is an f'ing insane player.

Reactions: jhmossy
Don’t get me wrong Zion is excellent, but there’s a point when you’re just hyping it too much. All you hear is how good Zion plays. Duke is Zion. I would be pissed if I were Barret, he goes totally unnoticed as does the rest of the duke team. It’s like a song you really like, but the radio station plays it to death and you start hating the song. You don’t have to praise and hype him every 15 minutes on espn. People are going to end up hating the guy. It’s similar to when Johnny Manziel was a hot topic. Every time you’d turn it to espn, they’d be talking about him. John Wall was a big star, but never got this much hype, and I still think it was a little over the top with the hype Wall was getting.
Barrett will be a top 2 pick regardless of how much they talk about Zion. He'll be alright.

Sure, I don't disagree. And yes, they absolutely go overboard. But at the heart of the matter is that Zion is an f'ing insane player.

100%. He's awesome. He deserves everything he's received. I just think that Duke fans would have an issue with the media coverage if he played for UNC or UK instead.

100%. He's awesome. He deserves everything he's received. I just think that Duke fans would have an issue with the media coverage if he played for UNC or UK instead.
I am sure there are some that would do their share of complaining. But me personally, I think it is a silly thing to complain about. Kentucky fans have a lot to celebrate, unc fans too. Why do so many people give a shit about who gets more attention

I am sure there are some that would do their share of complaining. But me personally, I think it is a silly thing to complain about. Kentucky fans have a lot to celebrate, unc fans too. Why do so many people give a shit about who gets more attention

You don't think attention from the media helps with recruiting?

You don't think attention from the media helps with recruiting?
Oh. Unfair recruiting angle.

Sure, I think that helps. But I think the ultimate goal of recruiting is to make your program more appealing to recruits than other programs. And by landing top recruits you are making your team more appealing to national networks which leads to exposure. Which helps land future top recruits.

Oh. Unfair recruiting angle.

Sure, I think that helps. But I think the ultimate goal of recruiting is to make your program more appealing to recruits than other programs. And by landing top recruits you are making your team more appealing to national networks which leads to exposure. Which helps land future top recruits.

I didn't say it was unfair. I said it was annoying. People complain about things that annoy them. That's the gist of my argument for why people complain.

People being annoyed by this are really just jealous and insecure. And I am annoyed by jealousy and insecurities.

I'm not annoyed by the attention that Zion receives. He deserves it. I do get a little annoyed the lack of attention that UVA receives. ESPN just doesn't celebrate college basketball as a team sport anymore. It is what it is though. I don't think I really complain that much overall though.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
I'm not annoyed by the attention that Zion receives. He deserves it. I do get a little annoyed the lack of attention that UVA receives. ESPN just doesn't celebrate college basketball as a team sport anymore. It is what it is though. I don't think I really complain that much overall though.
Wasn't aimed at you.

How many times have you gone back in your library and rewatched this one?

Often. Why does ESPN has the ESPN Classic channel? Folks like the old games.

The LSU miracle is often watched. I just wish that it was in higher res.

The 1978 & 1998 Duke games are big. I love some of the UK wins over Indiana back with Knight was the coach.

I also have the 1948, 1951 and 1958 UK title games. I can't share them, but I have them.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT