ADVERTISEMENT

MISS ST. WOMEN WERE JUST SCREWED BY REFS

I kind of agree. That post player was clearly hit on the arm on her second to last shot, which is ok. Lots of contact in the post. However, the missed call on the steal with a few seconds left is pretty inexcusable. Twitter is ranting pretty hard on it and justifiably so. There is no 'refs didn't want to decide the game'. They basically did by not calling it. Not much difference.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I kind of agree. That post player was clearly hit on the arm on her second to last shot, which is ok. Lots of contact in the post. However, the missed call on the steal with a few seconds left is pretty inexcusable. Twitter is ranting pretty hard on it and justifiably so. There is no 'refs didn't want to decide the game'. They basically did by not calling it. Not much difference.
This argument is silly, man. I'm not getting into again, though. Miss State was up 16. Is it the officials fault ND went on an 18-1 run, that tied the game(going into the 4rh quarter)? asking for a friend who officiates.:D

BTW Cory, Reds off to a great start, huh?:confused:

Reactions: American Male
This argument is silly, man. I'm not getting into again, though. Miss State was up 16. Is it the officials fault ND went on an 18-1 run, that tied the game(going into the 4rh quarter)? asking for a friend who officiates.:D

I don't see how it is silly. It is part of the game. Was it not a foul? If not, then I agree. If so it means MSU should have been on the FT line with a few seconds left. Instead, ND won the game (on an outstanding shot). All the credit to ND for the comeback and the shot. None of those should impact the discussion of why they failed to call a pretty obvious body block that changed possession in the closing seconds should it?

I don't see how it is silly. It is part of the game. Was it not a foul? If not, then I agree. If so it means MSU should have been on the FT line with a few seconds left. Instead, ND won the game (on an outstanding shot). All the credit to ND for the comeback and the shot. None of those should impact the discussion of why they failed to call a pretty obvious body block that changed possession in the closing seconds should it?
Absolutely 100% part of the game. Just like missed free throws are. Missed shots...turnovers,....missed defensive assignments, etc, etc... Now, if MSU played a perfect game, i.e. no turnovers, no missed shots...no missed free throws, then well, you got a good argument. I didn't see the play,. Don't need to. If it was a foul, it was. If it was a missed call, then that's what it was. But I'm sure that wasn't the only missed call. How many missed calls led to Miss State points? Anyone ever stop to consider that?

My point is Cory, there are to many other things that go on, for one, two or three calls to cost a team a game. THose missed calls are no more impactful than the missed free throws, shots, layups, turnovers, etc, etc..

IJust like you said------------It is part of the game.

Reactions: mrchmadness23
But that body block changed the game, the national championship and basically history , I'm not a msu fan but that is just totally wrong.... the refs should be made to go to a podium and explain why

Absolutely 100% part of the game. Just like missed free throws are. Missed shots...turnovers,....missed defensive assignments, etc, etc... Now, if MSU played a perfect game, i.e. no turnovers, no missed shots...no missed free throws, then well, you got a good argument. I didn't see the play,. Don't need to. If it was a foul, it was. If it was a missed call, then that's what it was. But I'm sure that wasn't the only missed call. How many missed calls led to Miss State points? Anyone ever stop to consider that?

My point is Cory, there are to many other things that go on, for one, two or three calls to cost a team a game. THose missed calls are no more impactful than the missed free throws, shots, layups, turnovers, etc, etc..

IJust like you said------------It is part of the game.

But if someone is on the FT line with 2 seconds left up two points in a game and misses a free throw and the other team gets the ball and nails a three we say those missed FTs cost that team the game. If a team is up one and throws the ball away with a couple of seconds left and the other team then scores we say that turnover cost them the game. This missed called, and you would agree it was a missed call, is the same. If it is part of the game just like a FT or turnover then we are actually treating it the same, not differently.

But if someone is on the FT line with 2 seconds left up two points in a game and misses a free throw and the other team gets the ball and nails a three we say those missed FTs cost that team the game. If a team is up one and throws the ball away with a couple of seconds left and the other team then scores we say that turnover cost them the game. This missed called, and you would agree it was a missed call, is the same. If it is part of the game just like a FT or turnover then we are actually treating it the same, not differently.
The argument is fair. But to pin one call, or one shot, or one missed free throw on a loss, in a 40 minute game, is to me, silly. If a team has gone 10-20 at the line, and then misses two free throws, up one, and other team hits s three to win. What was more costly------Those missed free throws with 2 seconds left--------Or the previous 10?

The argument is fair. But to pin one call, or one shot, or one missed free throw on a loss, in a 40 minute game, is to me, silly. If a team has gone 10-20 at the line, and then misses two free throws, up one, and other team hits s three to win. What was more costly------Those missed free throws with 2 seconds left--------Or the previous 10?

Every play is relevant. I don't disagree. There are also tough calls that are missed all the time. This wasn't really a block/charge situation or anything debatable though I don't believe. This to me was clearly a case of not calling something that would have been called 100% of the time in every other instance in the game simply because of when it happened. It is unfortunate for the officials involved it didn't go to OT.

Every play is relevant. I don't disagree. There are also tough calls that are missed all the time. This wasn't really a block/charge situation or anything debatable though I don't believe. This to me was clearly a case of not calling something that would have been called 100% of the time in every other instance in the game simply because of when it happened. It is unfortunate for the officials involved it didn't go to OT.
I can get on board with this. I do think sometimes, SOME officials are scared to make the right call. That just burns my ass. Just make the damn call. But hey, I've done it. Every official has. But you have to evolve from that. Have to. And I like to think I have. I'm 17 years in. Still make dumb ass mistakes. Sometimes though, plays just "blow up". A lot of shit happens in a split second, and if you hesitate---you are toast. I mean one minute you have a routine play, and then Bam!!---A shit storm. And by the time you register WTF just happened, its to late. Plays over.

Had a HS baseball game Friday. To county rivals. 1-0, bottom of 5th; Home team down. Runner at third, none out. Fly ball to center field. I'm on the dish so the tag is mine. Kid leaves waaaaaaaaay early. Defense wants to appeal he did so. I call him out.......Ohhhhhhhhhh, boy. Fans lose their minds. Coach is yacking---"I didn't tell him to go till the ball was caught". Well, ok coach. But apparently he didn't listen. He was off early, and it wasn't close. Told him---"I won't ever make that call unless I am 100% sure". Not even if I think he left early---I won't cvall it. But if I KNOW he did---Yeah, I'm getting it. Fans were just irate. Had a guy sak me after the game---"How do you make that call"? I respended with--------"What were you watching--------the ball or the runner:?

Discussion over.

Lol... you guys watched the women's national championship.

Well, I watched the last two minutes when I saw it was a close game. The wife was watching some show called 'Call the Midwife' or something on PBS so it was better than that.

Lol... you guys watched the women's national championship.
Basketball is basketball. I hate when people compare womens to basketball to mens. WOmes hoops to some is boring b/c it isn't played above the rim. Athleticism is obviously different. But to me, its always good, fundamental basketball. I like watching it.

Yea, she got hit, you dont miss a shot that close to the rim that badly, she was clearly hacked, no call. The PG was literally ran over and knocked down, no call.

I agree. Miss State was up 16 midway through the 3rd quarter and they allowed Notre Dame to walk them down. Also they missed a lot of FT's too which added to their demise. It was a physical game but the refs for the most part let them play.

Is it the officials fault ND went on an 18-1 run, that tied the game(going into the 4rh quarter)? asking for a friend who officiates.
Kinda. ND started hacking and fouling, refs mostly swallowed the whistle. Was not totally the refs, MS St hurt themselves a bit as well, but ND was helped by the refs. Miss St big girl's arms are probably bruised pretty bad today.

Did the announcers say that Mississippi State has never won a National championship in ANY sport?
How can that be?
And if true, that really had to hurt losing this game.

But that body block changed the game, the national championship and basically history , I'm not a msu fan but that is just totally wrong.... the refs should be made to go to a podium and explain why

Have them explain why our girl got bodied then on the way up to win the game and a no call. Have them explain why in our game the 6-7" girl had 1 foul but magically fouls out of the next game playing the exact same way.

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
That 9 foot chick who had 20 rebounds and 45 missed layups could've won the game on a wide open layup in the first place

I heard the bellyaching on another site. When I finally saw the supposed FOUL a couple of days later what I saw was something that might or might not be called during the course of a game, according to what refs were calling, but I also saw a STEAL, the pass was deflected by a hand and I think if the player had just kept the ball and run into the Notre Dame player she gets the call, but she passed and passed it right into her hand, no ball = no ball control = a doubt in the refs mind.

Not that bad a call ether way.

Last edited:
@IUfanBorden

I didn't even see your Reds comment. Yeah, they are terrible. To be fair, the Nats are really good but still. I think they are going to have to really think about going away from Billy and Peraza. Hamilton is a rock star in CF but man is he terrible at the plate against decent pitching. I'm not sure what Jose gives you at all. I think Hamilton is good enough on D to survive him in the lineup but not if you also have another guy who is as terrible as Peraza. I like their lineup ok outside of those two. They just have to get the pitching healthy I guess. I have no faith, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT