ADVERTISEMENT

Miami vs Kentucky Game Day Thread ***

ThePhog08

Gold Member
May 2, 2008
A team that has been to an elite 8 and Final four the last 2 years. VS a young team on the rise, big improvement going from missing the tourney to making the 1rst round the next year, to making the round of 32 the next. Big improvement year over year for both teams. ;)

Reactions: TKBray
Let's see if these young Cats have learned to close out games. I think we match up well with Miami. Only bad thing is, they match up pretty well with us too. I'll say Cats in a close one.

UK 84
Miami 79

I think Miami really misses Wong and their defense is ranked in the triple digits.

Both teams shoot the hell out of the 3 ball and true to form, you just know Miami is going to hit every one they throw up there and UK will probably be cold, at least at the beginning of the game. They start out slow every game.

I think UK closes this one out though. 95-89. Both defenses are not good.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I think Miami really misses Wong and their defense is ranked in the triple digits.

Defense is the same it's been the past two years, which didn't stop them from making a deep run in the tournament. Obviously not ideal because they might let a bottom-dweller stick around too long, but there's enough firepower on Miami where they can beat anyone in the country.

On the road, however, against Kentucky? That will be tough. I'd favor the Cats in a close one. 86-81.

Defense is the same it's been the past two years, which didn't stop them from making a deep run in the tournament. Obviously not ideal because they might let a bottom-dweller stick around too long, but there's enough firepower on Miami where they can beat anyone in the country.

On the road, however, against Kentucky? That will be tough. I'd favor the Cats in a close one. 86-81.
There are a lot of factors at play.

When it comes to the tournament, it comes down to who is hot at that time and it also comes down to matchups. FAU lost at home to Bryant last week and they return everyone from that FF team. They just aren't clicking right now, like they were last March.

Something else though, Miami is built like the teams we see getting to the FF these days. They are older guys that are well developed physically. They are also guard heavy. They just aren't clicking right now.

But I think not having Wong, is going to be an issue for them, at least early and they don't have a 7' big that can take advantage of UK's missing bigs, like KU did.

FAU lost at home to Bryant last week and they return everyone from that FF team. They just aren't clicking right now, like they were last March.

The loss to Bryant seems more like a blip. They just had an off night; everyone has those. Last week they took down Butler and Texas A&M - and then destroyed Virginia Tech in the title game of the ESPN Invitational. Where they're ranked on KenPom right now, 21st, is the same spot where they were ranked in the Sweet 16 matchup against Tennessee in the tourney.

But I think not having Wong, is going to be an issue for them, at least early and they don't have a 7' big that can take advantage of UK's missing bigs, like KU did.

Wooga Poplar's usage is seeing a major uptick this year. You could make the argument that he's just as impactful on the offensive end as Wong was. At the minimum, you'd have to at least say Poplar is a better shooter.

Why does it matter that Norchad Omier is only 6'7? Dude has a 6'11 wingspan and he was 13th in the nation last season in rebounding.

Offensively, Miami is still super elite. Biggest knock on them, once again, will be defense. And they're also not a very deep team. But from 1-5 on offense, they're as talented as any team in the country, IMO.

O and UK O this game will be more fun then the entire B1G season

Big Ten teams be like...

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: kyjeff1
Really excited for this game but don't know how I feel about it. I feel like Kentucky probably pulls it out with the game being at Rupp though.

On Miami's end, this is a huge game because it's their first real test. They smashed Kansas St last weekend and that seems like a good win since K St is coming off an elite 8 run but I don't really know how good they are.

The defense and rebounding concerns are definitely there for Miami, as they have been the last two seasons. They've been able to rebound and defend just enough to win a ton of games.

As with every game Miami played last season and will play this season, Norchad Omier has to stay out of foul trouble. He's such a terror on the glass and brings so much energy every possession. There's talk of Wooga Poplar being a first round pick, possibly a lottery pick, because of his combination of length, athleticism, and being a great shooter. Well, this is the type of game he has to step up and show that. He has been good this season but I'm not sure he has taken command of the offense like most hoped he might. Matthew Cleveland has been a really big addition. Definitely helps offset the loss of Jordan Miller. He has to continue to be aggressive as he is still trying to find his role with the team.

One name to remember for many who aren't real familiar with Miami is Bensley Joseph. He has stepped into a starting role now following Wong's departure. Joseph is an undersized guard, listed at 6'2" but there's no way that's accurate lol, he looks no taller than 6 ft to me. He has been a pesky defender off the bench the last two years. His lack of height allows him to get up under opposing players and really apply a lot of pressure to ballhandlers. He's great at getting his hands on the ball and being disruptive. I made a prediction on one of the Miami homepages that Joseph is going to lead the country in steals this season. His ability to disrupt will be a key to watch in tonight's game against Kentucky's young guards.

Hoping for a great game!

Really excited for this game but don't know how I feel about it. I feel like Kentucky probably pulls it out with the game being at Rupp though.

On Miami's end, this is a huge game because it's their first real test. They smashed Kansas St last weekend and that seems like a good win since K St is coming off an elite 8 run but I don't really know how good they are.

The defense and rebounding concerns are definitely there for Miami, as they have been the last two seasons. They've been able to rebound and defend just enough to win a ton of games.

As with every game Miami played last season and will play this season, Norchad Omier has to stay out of foul trouble. He's such a terror on the glass and brings so much energy every possession. There's talk of Wooga Poplar being a first round pick, possibly a lottery pick, because of his combination of length, athleticism, and being a great shooter. Well, this is the type of game he has to step up and show that. He has been good this season but I'm not sure he has taken command of the offense like most hoped he might. Matthew Cleveland has been a really big addition. Definitely helps offset the loss of Jordan Miller. He has to continue to be aggressive as he is still trying to find his role with the team.

One name to remember for many who aren't real familiar with Miami is Bensley Joseph. He has stepped into a starting role now following Wong's departure. Joseph is an undersized guard, listed at 6'2" but there's no way that's accurate lol, he looks no taller than 6 ft to me. He has been a pesky defender off the bench the last two years. His lack of height allows him to get up under opposing players and really apply a lot of pressure to ballhandlers. He's great at getting his hands on the ball and being disruptive. I made a prediction on one of the Miami homepages that Joseph is going to lead the country in steals this season. His ability to disrupt will be a key to watch in tonight's game against Kentucky's young guards.

Hoping for a great game!
Norchad is one of my fav players , Hoping for a close game

Reactions: TKBray
I don't think Reed's going to be at UK as long as BBN was hoping. Great ball player.
He'll be there at least 3 years, imo, if mom and dad have anything to say about it. Plus he's undersized and not the most athletic guy, probably the most important things the NBA looks at. He’s not going early to play overseas either, imo.

As a non-UK fan I’m loving watching Sheppard and Dillingham play this year.
Those two needed to play a lot more against KU but Cal left Wagner and Edwards in there to stink it up. Dilly only played 16 minutes but still managed to foul out anyway though. 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT