ADVERTISEMENT

Miami vs Kentucky Game Day Thread ***

I think he leads all of college basketball in +- doesn't he?
idk-shrug.gif

If I was a college coach, I would hire Jeff Sheppard and his wife Reed right f-ing now.
Anyone that can turn a regular white kid into one of the best players in his freshman season, needs to be doing player development somewhere. Wow.

If I was a college coach, I would hire Jeff Sheppard and his wife Reed right f-ing now.
Anyone that can turn a regular white kid into one of the best players in his freshman season, needs to be doing player development somewhere. Wow.
His wife is Stacey REED Sheppard. lol

Sheesh 😮

This got out of hand quickly! You guys look awesome man and to think you're not even at full strength is crazy. Really impressed with how well the young talent on Kentucky's team is moving the ball and not committing turnovers. Reed Sheppard is an absolute stud.

Bad showing for Miami in a huge spotlight game 😕

Sheesh 😮

This got out of hand quickly! You guys look awesome man and to think you're not even at full strength is crazy. Really impressed with how well the young talent on Kentucky's team is moving the ball and not committing turnovers. Reed Sheppard is an absolute stud.

3 seven footers out and now Wagner. Ugh.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
This could be an opportunity for Joey Hart to get some pt. But Cal probably won't let him play until the last 2 minutes. It might be a good idea to make Reed the primary pg. He sees the floor so well.

• Haha
Reactions: Cal-4-Three
Sheesh 😮

Kentucky played really good and Miami had an off night. Good luck the rest of the way and I’m sure y’all will be right there in the ACC when it’s all said and done!

Kentucky played really good and Miami had an off night. Good luck the rest of the way and I’m sure y’all will be right there in the ACC when it’s all said and done!

This team is so fun to watch.

GG @TKBray good luck the rest of the season.

Kudos to you guys. Looks like you're in for a hell of a ride this season.

Felt like the game was pretty much lost in the first few minutes of the second half. Kentucky finished the first half on a run to seize momentum. It was disappointing to see such a veteran starting 5 that Miami has to start the second half so poorly. The house was on fire quickly in the second half and they couldn't put it out.

But, all in all, definitely feel like it was more about how great Kentucky played than it was how badly Miami played. So I'm not too discouraged lol, just ran into a team hitting on all cylinders tonight.

Why couldn't we have played Tennessee instead, damnit 😂

If only Cal could trade in those OADs for some 3 star vets…
If you notice, it's the lower rated freshmen and the veterans that are doing most of the damage. Reed Sheppard, Tre Mitchell, Ado and Dillingham, aren't one-and-done players.
Edwards is supposed to be a #1 pick, but you don't even know he’s out there most of the time.
Wagner is way behind Sheppard and Dillingham, but he's the lottery pick.
Now, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised at how well the young guys are playing. I'm waiting for them to come back to earth. It’s hard for me to believe that a young team can play at that pace and continue to be that efficient.

But again, most one-and-done kids are one-and-done because they have potential, not because they're great players right now. The NBA is a different game. UK fans have sat and watched as these one-and-done kids choked games away to lower seeded teams, because "we're young", then you see them lighting it up in the NBA the very next year.

Reactions: Sparty_57
If you notice, it's the lower rated freshmen and the veterans that are doing most of the damage. Reed Sheppard, Tre Mitchell, Ado and Dillingham, aren't one-and-done players.
Edwards is supposed to be a #1 pick, but you don't even know he’s out there most of the time.
Wagner is way behind Sheppard and Dillingham, but he's the lottery pick.
Now, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised at how well the young guys are playing. I'm waiting for them to come back to earth. It’s hard for me to believe that a young team can play at that pace and continue to be that efficient.

But again, most one-and-done kids are one-and-done because they have potential, not because they're great players right now. The NBA is a different game. UK fans have sat and watched as these one-and-done kids choked games away to lower seeded teams, because "we're young", then you see them lighting it up in the NBA the very next year.
It's okay if a few of them are overrated or green when you have a roster full of highly-rated talents. And maybe the lottery picks will be Dillingham and Sheppard instead of Wagner or Edwards. Maybe those guys will pick it up and they'll all be first rounders?

Either way....doesn't matter. The point is that it's silly to claim that young teams can't/don't win. Teams full of highly-rated freshmen have won at a much higher level than the average team of lower-rated vets. Just a fact. And it's hard to deny that Calipari has done far better with young teams. Stacking highly-rated players ain't a bad approach, and if Calipari started recruiting a bunch of lower-rated players, his results would get worse, not better.

Reactions: stratos201
Reed Sheppard, Tre Mitchell, Ado and Dillingham, aren't one-and-done players.
First, just got to say, Kentucky's offense looks so freaking flawless. Goodness. I would not want to face them in the tournament. They've got a plethora of talented guards on that team that can exploit any type of defense.

I'm interested in seeing the development of Reed Sheppard. Dude seems to make the correct read every single time. And he's 19 for 30 from three? I'm honestly scratching my head and thinking "why can't he be a one-and-done?" You could argue that he's a combo-guard and he lacks the size to be a sure-fire NBA player. Maybe he can't create his own shot like others. But, the kid is a terrific two-way player. A+ shooter, has great vision, and he's a scrappy defender, always knocking the ball loose - or deflecting passes. He's not quite the athlete as the other UK guards, but he might be their most effective player.

He also leads the country in true shooting percentage. Huge weapon for Kentucky.

True Shooting Percentage
1.Reed Sheppard Kentucky.872
2.Chase Cormier Wofford.860
3.John Hugley Oklahoma.850
4.AJ Clayton Ohio.800
5.Adam Larson Southeast Missouri State.789
6.Lynn Kidd Virginia Tech.780
7.Bryce Workman Jacksonville.777
8.Nate Santos Dayton.775
9.Nique Clifford Colorado State.763
10.Henry Coleman Texas A&M.761

We have four guys that, when they shoot it, I’m surprised when they miss. Feel like we only had one guy like that last year (Reeves)

This team has all the makings to be a player in March. And oh yea, our McDonald’s All American center is about to start playing, too.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
It's okay if a few of them are overrated or green when you have a roster full of highly-rated talents. And maybe the lottery picks will be Dillingham and Sheppard instead of Wagner or Edwards. Maybe those guys will pick it up and they'll all be first rounders?

Either way....doesn't matter. The point is that it's silly to claim that young teams can't/don't win. Teams full of highly-rated freshmen have won at a much higher level than the average team of lower-rated vets. Just a fact. And it's hard to deny that Calipari has done far better with young teams. Stacking highly-rated players ain't a bad approach, and if Calipari started recruiting a bunch of lower-rated players, his results would get worse, not better.
The game is more physical and the offenses are mire dpread out than they were just 8 years ago. The ones thriving are the older teams that have cohesiveness and a strong bond.

It’s really hard for freshmen to overcome the large step from HS to college, now I feel like it's even harder than it used to be.

Can a young team win? Well, yeah, but they better be really special to overcome the many hurdles a young team has to face. There just isn’t enough time in a season to teach these kids everything they need to know to win when the heat is at it's hottest.

Yeah, young teams HAVE won at the highest levels, but the last one to do it, was 2015 duke. Like I said, the game is much more physical and spread out than it used to be.

First, just got to say, Kentucky's offense looks so freaking flawless. Goodness. I would not want to face them in the tournament. They've got a plethora of talented guards on that team that can exploit any type of defense.

I'm interested in seeing the development of Reed Sheppard. Dude seems to make the correct read every single time. And he's 19 for 30 from three? I'm honestly scratching my head and thinking "why can't he be a one-and-done?" You could argue that he's a combo-guard and he lacks the size to be a sure-fire NBA player. Maybe he can't create his own shot like others. But, the kid is a terrific two-way player. A+ shooter, has great vision, and he's a scrappy defender, always knocking the ball loose - or deflecting passes. He's not quite the athlete as the other UK guards, but he might be their most effective player.

He also leads the country in true shooting percentage. Huge weapon for Kentucky.

True Shooting Percentage
1.Reed Sheppard Kentucky.872
2.Chase Cormier Wofford.860
3.John Hugley Oklahoma.850
4.AJ Clayton Ohio.800
5.Adam Larson Southeast Missouri State.789
6.Lynn Kidd Virginia Tech.780
7.Bryce Workman Jacksonville.777
8.Nate Santos Dayton.775
9.Nique Clifford Colorado State.763
10.Henry Coleman Texas A&M.761
UK's team is a prime example of the difference between NBA type players and good college players.

Reed Sheppard is probably going to play in the NBA, but he's not the high flyer that NBA franchises are looking for.

There are a lot of good 4 year guys that mafe it to the NBA and had a nice career. They are glue guys and that’s what Reed will be.

But then again, what do I know, that kid has far surpassed what I thought he could ever be. He brought me out of my chair a dozen times laat night. He’s playing a video game out there and Dillingham is right there with him.

Now Edwards and Wagner are struggling and they might eventually catch on, but they are the guys that are bred more for the NBA game and they will probably catch on quick.once they get there. We've seen this trend a hundred times over the last 13 years now.

Booker couldn't guard a thumb tack in 14/15 and faded offensively through the season. He was unplayable against Wisconsin, Decker (a great college player, terrible pro), abused him at will. Booker turned into a killer in short order in the NBA. He’s just one example of many. The NBA is such a different game.

Maybe this is the year that our shooters are able to actually shoot.

Shooters are able to shoot when you play a style that gets them a lot of open looks and not the kind of half balance shot after running 30 feet around screens like normal. I'm optimistic this will stay even after the bigs came back but I'd be lying if I thought it won't have any impact. Mitchell is literally the perfect 5 (on offense) for the team.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Kudos to you guys. Looks like you're in for a hell of a ride this season.

Felt like the game was pretty much lost in the first few minutes of the second half. Kentucky finished the first half on a run to seize momentum. It was disappointing to see such a veteran starting 5 that Miami has to start the second half so poorly. The house was on fire quickly in the second half and they couldn't put it out.

But, all in all, definitely feel like it was more about how great Kentucky played than it was how badly Miami played. So I'm not too discouraged lol, just ran into a team hitting on all cylinders tonight.

Why couldn't we have played Tennessee instead, damnit 😂

This is called FORESHADOWING

ADVERTISEMENT