ADVERTISEMENT

KU @ OU

Hack a Doke for four minutes is a pretty f***ing bogus way to steal a win. Then again, it can only happen if the coach allows it.

Disagree. Don’t think it’s bogus at all. Learn to make your FTs and it’s not an issue.

Exploiting your opponents weakmess is bogus? Pretty much the name of the game isn’t it?

Last edited:
We went out and took that win at Wvu. Huggins didn’t make terrible decision. Self single handedly served that win up for OU. No excuse for that idiotic thinking over 4 minutes and 6 dead balls. This is on self.

No... We took countless 3's and bad shots early in the clock. Continued to press, trap/help off shooters and speed the game up with a double digit lead and 5 minutes left.

The game was given to kansas

Reactions: Catilac
This was a rare instance of Self doing something indefensible. He owned it in the postgame. Somehow he thought this would help them in the long run.

Really it only helps if Doke becomes this great FT shooter. In the end he's still gonna be a 40% FT shooter with terrible form and no confidence.

Disagree. Don’t think it’s bogus at all. Learn to make your FTs and it’s not an issue.

Exploiting your opponents weakmess is bogus? Pretty much the name of the game isn’t it?

Intentional fouls should be called intentional fouls. Seems that would make sense.

Intentional fouls should be called intentional fouls. Seems that would make sense.

You say intentional. I saw him fighting for position and being a bit to physical. Common foul. Go make your FTs Azibuke and win the game. Or brick 6 in a row and stare at your coach dumbfounded as to why you’re still in the game Laughing

Reactions: Catilac

Idk didn’t you guise steel a game v Memphis intentionally fouling poor ft shooters a few years ago

Self went triangle and 2 and blew a lead then fouled late iirc

Reactions: doogie503
I saw that. OU was ready for it.
Defense wasn’t a prob. Defense was actually very solid throughout. Bill Selfs ****ing terrible idea to leave dok in dead ball after dead ball is the only reason for this loss other than OU making plays. Self showed his ass. Looked like you’d expect. Game was in hand.

Idk didn’t you guise steel a game v Memphis intentionally fouling poor ft shooters a few years ago

Self went triangle and 2 and blew a lead then fouled late iirc

I really like most of the ku fans on here... good peeps. But it's hilarious how hypocritical some of them are.

They all were killing me for being salty when we gave a game away to them last week.

Now all i hear is how OU didn't earn that win... self gave it to them.

They get mad when people complain about officiating after losses.

Now They lose and they want intentional fouls called because their big man can't hit FT's.

I really like most of the ku fans on here... good peeps. But it's hilarious how hypocritical some of them are.

They all were killing me for being salty when we gave a game away to them last week.

Now all i hear is how OU didn't earn that win... self gave it to them.

They get mad when people complain about officiating after losses.

Now They lose and they want intentional fouls called because their big man can't hit FT's.
Some of that’s fair, bc a few have said some stupid stuff about intentionally fouling. But in no world is this one not solidly on self. Maybe the Sooners make more plays when dok is out, but the loss wouldn’t have been dictated by a senseless roster error. Any basketball fan knows dok should have been out after it was obvious they were intentionally fouling him off the ball——and intelligently so. It defies all sense to leave a 40% ft shooter in knowing They are actively putting him at the line where he will never be more than a poor gamble to make a single free throw.

Some of that’s fair, bc a few have said some stupid stuff about intentionally fouling. But in no world is this one not solidly on self. Maybe the Sooners make more plays when dok is out, but the loss wouldn’t have been dictated by a senseless roster error. Any basketball fan knows dok should have been out after it was obvious they were intentionally fouling him off the ball——and intelligently so. It defies all sense to leave a 40% ft shooter in knowing They are actively putting him at the line where he will never be more than a poor gamble to make a single free throw.

I agree it was a dumb move. Kind of like continuing to jack up quick 3's and trying to speed up the game by pressing and trapping with a double digit lead and 5 mins to go.

My issue is how you guys act like KU gave this game away and deserved to win, but you dismiss the possibility of another team outplaying you and just giving a game away. Kansas never gets lucky or gets breaks... they just take games. You're definitely guilty of that.

I agree it was a dumb move. Kind of like continuing to jack up quick 3's and trying to speed up the game by pressing and trapping with a double digit lead and 5 mins to go.

My issue is how you guys act like KU gave this game away and deserved to win, but you dismiss the possibility of another team outplaying you and just giving a game away. You're definitely guilty of that.
OU made plays to win. OU took advantage of selfs poor coaching. Coaching gave the opportunity for OU to get back in it/. That’s undeniable. This was avoidable with how we played them. Self gave OU an easier chance to win. And OU had the guts to take advantage of selfs terrible call. They deserve credit for taking what KU allowed. Snuffed is out.

My issue is how you guys act like KU gave this game away and deserved to win, but you dismiss the possibility of another team outplaying you and just giving a game away. Kansas never gets lucky or gets breaks... they just take games. You're definitely guilty of that.

Sorry Doogie buy you've got a little bit of revisionist history going on from that game last week. You guys led by 12 with just under 9 minutes left. KU cut it to 60-59 with slightly over 5 minutes left. Actually didn't press much. KU mainly cut into the lead with 3 quick 3s in less than 2 minutes. From the 8:57 mark to the 1 min mark WVU went 1/3 from 3. That's a far cry from "jacking up a bunch of quick 3s" by WVU. From the 5 minute mark on it was more WVU panicked when KU cut the lead down to 1 while KU executed than WVU choked the game away.

Last night was all great strategy by OU, dumb mistake by Self, bad decision making the final 2 minutes by Graham, and OU making 2 big time 3s.

Good game OU. Looking forward to the rematch in Lawrence, where the seats will be filled the entire game.

Hopefully the student section makes a bunch of bird big heads. Get in Young’s head a little.

At least Self took the blame for it so ESPN could run it as front page news and future recruits can see that he doesn't throw his players under the bus like Calipari.

Sounds like Lon Kruger outcoached Bill Self tonight then
Im pretty sure Air Bud would have outcoached Self tonight. There isn't a scenario where Self leaving Dok in was the right option. Even if Manek doesn't drain that three to make it a five point game and Svi comes down and hits a game winner----the decision to keep a 40% FT shooter in the game when they are intentionally putting him at the line is absurd. He let Krueger dictate how the game was going to be won. Credit to OU to work the strategy that was obviously effective for 4-5 minutes. Good coaching, good player execution, and they went out and traded buckets for missed FT.

Last edited:
They went triangle and 2 a couple of years ago against Buddy Hield and it didn't work then either.

The only time I’ve ever seen it be completely successful was against Roy Williams in the NCAA tourney. 08 maybe? The next game Roy is sitting in the stands with a KU sticker on still trying to understand what a triangle and 2 is. Laughing

The only time I’ve ever seen it be completely successful was against Roy Williams in the NCAA tourney. 08 maybe? The next game Roy is sitting in the stands with a KU sticker on still trying to understand what a triangle and 2 is. Laughing

Yeah I'll never forget that! One of the more bizarre things I've seen

That was awesome

Sorry Doogie buy you've got a little bit of revisionist history going on from that game last week. You guys led by 12 with just under 9 minutes left. KU cut it to 60-59 with slightly over 5 minutes left. Actually didn't press much. KU mainly cut into the lead with 3 quick 3s in less than 2 minutes. From the 8:57 mark to the 1 min mark WVU went 1/3 from 3. That's a far cry from "jacking up a bunch of quick 3s" by WVU. From the 5 minute mark on it was more WVU panicked when KU cut the lead down to 1 while KU executed than WVU choked the game away.

Last night was all great strategy by OU, dumb mistake by Self, bad decision making the final 2 minutes by Graham, and OU making 2 big time 3s.

My bad not double digits. It was a 9 point lead.

60-51 with 5:30 to go after the Ahmad 3 that was originally called a 2. And we just kept trapping, and helping off Svi and Graham in the corner... leaving them wide open for no reason at all. Carter was shutting down Graham and Konate was swatting everything Kansas brought in the paint at that point.

Then we'd come down on the other end and take a jumper early in the clock.

Last edited:

So do you disagree that allowing 5 empty offensive possessions at the end might have possibly cost them the game? This isn't exactly a reach. Not sure how or why you're comparing this to WVU blowing a lead because they missed shots (because they're not very good at shooting a basketball).

So do you disagree that allowing 5 empty offensive possessions at the end might have possibly cost them the game? This isn't exactly a reach. Not sure how or why you're comparing this to WVU blowing a lead because they missed shots (because they're not very good at shooting a basketball).

Didn't give it away because we missed shots. Gave it away by taking bad shots early in the clock and making mental mistakes on defense when we had a comfortable lead with just over 5 mins to go.

Didn't give it away because we missed shots. Gave it away by taking bad shots early in the clock and making mental mistakes on defense when we had a comfortable lead with just over 5 mins to go.
Well we are better than that than WVU. We do that crap every game---thats why its always Blood boiling anxiety at the ends of games. We take some of the most ill advised nba threes I've ever seen. Like I've said in other threads, its a very long conference season and you're never safe at the top, and never out of it being a handful back. Every game KU plays is 50/50 based on our roster and style of play. We can beat anybody and vice versa. All it takes is a couple game skid and your on the outside looking in in a matter of a week or two.

Sure it sucked losing it the way we did. But I actually come out of last night feeling better about the team. Up until the final 4 minutes when Hack-a-Doke began the team actually played very well. Moved the ball well, played solid defense again a rough matchup, and overall felt in control until those last few minutes. Yeah Graham struggled but I know that's not something that's going to be the norm (although it is worrisome he can go cold at the worse times). The only concern is teams using the Hack-a-Doke more and Self being stubborn and leaving him on the court.

Now only if this team could play with the level of focus at home that they do on the road. Never thought I'd say that about a KU team.

Lightfoot was having a great game too. The Desosa (sp?) looked like Vanderbilt and lost. If Self would have subbed Lightfoot in for Dok, who knows? OU hit some big 3's at the end so it might of not mattered. Plus on a few of those fouls on Dok. OU did nothing with it and turned it over. It more/less change the flow of the game and OU came out on top.

ADVERTISEMENT