ADVERTISEMENT

Knecht or Sheppard?

Knecht and Sheppard are completely different players. Both play their roles very well and both will be very successful in the NBA.

A better comparison for Knecht, is Reeves. I don't think you could go wrong with either guy there.

UK is built differently than UT, the backcourt at UK is offensively more dynamic and there are 4 guards that can go off at any time and now Edwards has emerged. The fact that Reeves is averaging 20ppg with that much forepower on tap, is amazing and get this, he’s the only guy in the Cal era to average 20ppg. That’s crazy.

One other comparison to consider would be Sheppard vs Ziegler. I would take Shepp, but I could see why some would take Ziegler.

Reactions: UKBlitzkrieg
One other comparison to consider would be Sheppard vs Ziegler. I would take Shepp, but I could see why some would take Ziegler.
Like you said, the teams are built differently. Shep wouldn't be as effective at UT as UK. Zeigler is the key piece to UT. Though no one has brought it up UK Bigs scored zero pts, not even a Free throw. They played great at rim protecting, but not a pt. UT needs it's Bigs to score and therefore needs a great facilitator to get them the ball. Zeigler is it.

I really haven't said anything bad about them. I didn't tee off except to show your hypocrisy. I'm really not mean mcnick.
Haha...I know you aren't mean. You don't come across that way at all. This is a message board, it is meant for debate and banter. I don't take anything personally (although there does appear to be many posters on this board who do haha)...

I just thought it was funny that you called UTs football program "powerful," when they haven't done anything in basically the past 25 years. Just got a kick out of that being brought up on bball forum.

IMG-4057.png

Like you said, the teams are built differently. Shep wouldn't be as effective at UT as UK. Zeigler is the key piece to UT. Though no one has brought it up UK Bigs scored zero pts, not even a Free throw. They played great at rim protecting, but not a pt. UT needs it's Bigs to score and therefore needs a great facilitator to get them the ball. Zeigler is it.
Threes are more than 2s. Percentages are the same. In some cases 3s are higher.

Reactions: Scotty00
Haha...I know you aren't mean. You don't come across that way at all. This is a message board, it is meant for debate and banter. I don't take anything personally (although there does appear to be many posters on this board who do haha)...

I just thought it was funny that you called UTs football program "powerful," when they haven't done anything in basically the past 25 years. Just got a kick out of that being brought up on bball forum.
Is that any different than y'all calling UK CBB powerful? UT/UK throw a lot of money at CFB (UT) and CBB (UK). Both are top recruiters every year. Both have not met goals in the postseason. UT is #11 in the last CFB preseason poll I saw and had a top 15 or better recruiting class.

Is that any different than y'all calling UK CBB powerful? UT/UK throw a lot of money at CFB (UT) and CBB (UK). Both are top recruiters every year. Both have not met goals in the postseason. UT is #11 in the last CFB preseason poll I saw and had a top 15 or better recruiting class.
I don't see how you can compare UT football to UK basketball, in the context of which is "powerful."

They are not even on the same playing field. UK won it all in 2012, went to FFs in 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2015. Went to the Elite 8 in 2017 (lost on a buzzer beater to UNC) and 2019 (lost in OT to Auburn), and won the SEC handily in 2020 (tourney cancelled)...and that is just "recent" history. Yes, the past 3 yrs have been subpar for UK bball fans, but that does not mean the program is lacking in the "power" dept. Down years happen to all blue bloods, especially in college basketball.

In comparison, what has UT football done over the the past 15 years....heck, the past 25 years, to warrant any type of comparison to UK basketball? How about the past 30 years, or past 50 years??

I am not trying to be a jerk, I just don't see the comparison at all.

Reactions: NewEraCATS
I don't see how you can compare UT football to UK basketball, in the context of which is "powerful."

They are not even on the same playing field. UK won it all in 2012, went to FFs in 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2015. Went to the Elite 8 in 2017 (lost on a buzzer beater to UNC) and 2019 (lost in OT to Auburn), and won the SEC handily in 2020 (tourney cancelled)...and that is just "recent" history. Yes, the past 3 yrs have been subpar for UK bball fans, but that does not mean the program is lacking in the "power" dept. Down years happen to all blue bloods, especially in college basketball.

In comparison, what has UT football done over the the past 15 years....heck, the past 25 years, to warrant any type of comparison to UK basketball? How about the past 30 years, or past 50 years??

I am not trying to be a jerk, I just don't see the comparison at all.
You guys have fallen off in recent years true or false? Did you know Barnes has the edge over Cal since he has been at UT. So, either UT has been great during that time or UK has been down. You can't have it both ways.

You really can't compare bowl games to a 64 team tourney, but UT has performed well in them even in their down time. UT is top 5 in bowl games. That is pretty good.

If Ziegler and Sheppard flipped teams, both coaches would adjust, because both those guys have to play.

As far as UK's bigs not scoring last Saturday, that’s an anomaly. It was a different style of game. Cal used the guarfs to spread the court and either drive to score, or shoot.

Cal tried to get big Z and Bradshaw in there, but that wasn't the game for them. The thing about this UK team is, they have so many guys at each spot, that they can play just about any style.

Tre Mitchell is still trying to get his legs back under him after the injuries (back and Shoulder). He's our best post guy.

But our bigs not scoring, is about as odd as Vescovi not scoring. It’s rare. Just an odd game, one that UK wasn't able to win just a month ago.

You guys have fallen off in recent years true or false? Did you know Barnes has the edge over Cal since he has been at UT. So, either UT has been great during that time or UK has been down. You can't have it both ways.

You really can't compare bowl games to a 64 team tourney, but UT has performed well in them even in their down time. UT is top 5 in bowl games. That is pretty good.
Congratulations on Barnes having a one game advantage (I believe that is correct) over Cal since coming to UT in their head to head matchups...what does that have to do with you claiming UT has a powerful football program?? There is no relevancy, whatsoever.

I already said UK has had three subpar seasons (21, 22, and 23)...but that has no bearing on UKs status as a powerful program in college basketball.

UT is not a powerful football program...in any world. I don't even see what you are trying to argue at this point, very confusing to say the least.

If Ziegler and Sheppard flipped teams, both coaches would adjust, because both those guys have to play.

As far as UK's bigs not scoring last Saturday, that’s an anomaly. It was a different style of game. Cal used the guarfs to spread the court and either drive to score, or shoot.

Cal tried to get big Z and Bradshaw in there, but that wasn't the game for them. The thing about this UK team is, they have so many guys at each spot, that they can play just about any style.

Tre Mitchell is still trying to get his legs back under him after the injuries (back and Shoulder). He's our best post guy.

But our bigs not scoring, is about as odd as Vescovi not scoring. It’s rare. Just an odd game, one that UK wasn't able to win just a month ago.
I wasn't make fun of them. It was just an unmentioned oddity. Vescovi and james hurt us, no doubt. If they had been a little on it would have been a different game.

Congratulations on Barnes having a one game advantage (I believe that is correct) over Cal since coming to UT in their head to head matchups...what does that have to do with you claiming UT has a powerful football program?? There is no relevancy, whatsoever.

I already said UK has had three subpar seasons (21, 22, and 23)...but that has no bearing on UKs status as a powerful program in college basketball.

UT is not a powerful football program...in any world. I don't even see what you are trying to argue at this point, very confusing to say the least.
It makes the point that UT can be powerful in CFB like UK is in CBB and still not win the title.

Fallen off on recent years? It’s been 3 years.
UK was a 2 seed 2 years ago and limped into the tournament with injuries.
UK was a 2 seed in 2017 and 2019, won the SEC by 3 games in 2020 and went 38-0 in 2015 before finally losing in the FF. Won the SECT in 2018.
UK is still the winningest program of all time and has the 2nd most titles all time.
If you were to rank a top 10 in the last 3 years, UK probably isn't on it (until this year), but extend it to 10 years and UK is very close to the top, if not, who are you saying is better?
Also, who cares if Barnes has 1 more win vs Cal? Cal has 5 more final 4's and a title. Cal also has more SEC titles (regular season and tournament) than Barnes.
You can't just judge UK on what happened from 2020/21-22/23 and gloss over everything else. Every single program in the country has bad stretches, UT has more than its fair share of those.

I wasn't make fun of them. It was just an unmentioned oddity. Vescovi and james hurt us, no doubt. If they had been a little on it would have been a different game.
Everyone keeps saying UK's defense is awful, well, it was pretty damn good on Saturday and UK showed what their offense can do against one of the most elite defenses in the country.

When you have an offense like that, you don't have to have a top 20 defense to beat anybody.

Everyone says UConn has this crazy elite offense, well, why are they only hanging 75ppg against bad teams? UK putting up 85+ against top 20 defensive teams, that’s not something you typically see.

Reactions: treyforuk
Fallen off on recent years? It’s been 3 years.
UK was a 2 seed 2 years ago and limped into the tournament with injuries.
UK was a 2 seed in 2017 and 2019, won the SEC by 3 games in 2020 and went 38-0 in 2015 before finally losing in the FF. Won the SECT in 2018.
UK is still the winningest program of all time and has the 2nd most titles all time.
If you were to rank a top 10 in the last 3 years, UK probably isn't on it (until this year), but extend it to 10 years and UK is very close to the top, if not, who are you saying is better?
Also, who cares if Barnes has 1 more win vs Cal? Cal has 5 more final 4's and a title. Cal also has more SEC titles (regular season and tournament) than Barnes.
You can't just judge UK on what happened from 2020/21-22/23 and gloss over everything else. Every single program in the country has bad stretches, UT has more than its fair share of those.
UT has won many bowl games since it won the title. Did you know your cheeks flush reddish and your voice changes octaves when you get worked up about UK basketball??

Everyone keeps saying UK's defense is awful, well, it was pretty damn good on Saturday and UK showed what their offense can do against one of the most elite defenses in the country.

When you have an offense like that, you don't have to have a top 20 defense to beat anybody.

Everyone says UConn has this crazy elite offense, well, why are they only hanging 75ppg against bad teams? UK putting up 85+ against top 20 defensive teams, that’s not something you typically see.
I think you were one of the ones saying it.

Reactions: Sparty_57
UT has won many bowl games since it won the title. Did you know your cheeks flush reddish and your voice changes octaves when you get worked up about UK basketball??
LOL, trust me, I'm not jumping on you, just making conversation.

• Haha
Reactions: della
The sun rises, the sky is blue and @kyjeff1 thinks draft projections are the best indicator of whether someone is a better college player.

Reactions: bignish
You mean yours doesn't? You mention UK alot. Thought you may have a blue crush.

The sun rises, the sky is blue and @kyjeff1 thinks draft projections are the best indicator of whether someone is a better college player.
That’s false.

Maybe take a look at WHY Reed Sheppard is projected as the 1st pick in the draft. Maybe take a look at WHY Dillingham is a projected lottery pick.

Those two are projected where they are, not due to pre season hype. They are there because they are playing at that level right now. Sheppard was a 4* kid.

There is a difference between a kid like Edwards, Boston and Wagner and guys like Sheppard and Dillingham. Edwards, Boston and DJ were pre season lottery guys based on hype. Reed and Rob are lottery picks because they're playing out of their minds.

Do you disagree?

When have you known me to pump draft positions in the past? Truth is, you've never seen me do it, you're just butthurt because I'm not talking about Edey.

Shit, I'm the last guy that talks about the draft, it's the biggest thing I hate about Cal and the culture he created. It hurts UK, because these kids are usually gone no matter what, but with Reed and Rob, it's different, those two played their way into the lottery.

Last edited:
I was also saying UK's offense is elite enough to get the job done.
@della
Let me explain. I'm not saying UK is some shoe in to reach the FF. Every game they play, will be hard to win, but if they did make the FF, it would be because their offense went off and their defense did just enough.
I'm not saying UK is better than anyone else, but they do something that most teams can't (explodive offense) and they have more top end talent than every team they will face.
So while they do have deficiencies (who doesn't), they do have extreme talent that COULD put it together if they get the right matchups.

Gum flapping? I said one thing that is the stone cold truth. No wonder this board doesn't have any fkn traffic, several of the people here are douchebags and it seems to be the ones who haven't seen the final four in what seems like forever.
from a fan of a team that has made one final four in it's history. Geeze dude that is thick.

ADVERTISEMENT