ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky will win the Natty

Nwora still put up his average of 17

7-17 1-5 from the 3. Average wasn't gonna cut it.... PJ's early block(s) on him got to his head. He was awful from outside.

Kentucky_Louisville_Box.jpg

I get where RR30 is coming from leaving Tenn and UVA off the list. With Tenn, Rick Barnes is still the coach. With UVA, they will need to be able to score at a much better rate. Has a Bennett coached UVA team ever been able to do that in the tournament?
I get it, but Mark Few struck out a bunch of times until a couple of years ago when he found himself in the title game.
Players have to perform on the court, coaching prepares the players for the moment, the players have to execute. Barnes is a good enough coach to get that UT squad prepared for the big moments.
I guess I have just been impressed with what I've seen out of UT. Haven't seen much of UVA, but we know they're going to be tough to score on.

Reactions: denniden
Never happening, UK is winning the title this year. Lockdown defense, can't miss from three, never miss a rebound, etc. Your days are numbered.
giphy.gif

and that number will be #1.

Last edited:
Well... That's my opinion so if you don't like it... okay? Rick Barnes has made one final four in 30 years of coaching, including 20 at P5 schools. He's had a lot of talent in those years too.
UVA has the track record of being an awesome regular season program, and an okay postseason one. Considering the seeds they get, they have underachieved. Usually because their offense isn't good enough. Bennett's style of play intentionally slows the game down and come March that's not a great thing.
Nevada has one of the best offenses in the country and a very experienced team. UK is one of the most talented teams in the country and Calipari has a very good track record of being dangerous.
I wasn't trying to get your dander up, sorry if my post came across that way.

On the Nevada thing, Musselman hasn't been to a single final four that I know of, but that is your reasoning for keeping Barnes (UT) off your list.

Also, who has Nevada played so far (I'm asking, because I truly don't know)? I haven't noticed them playing any bigtime opponents. I don't know just how good their offense is, since they haven't played anyone of note yet (I think).

Last edited:
I get it, but Mark Few struck out a bunch of times until a couple of years ago when he found himself in the title game.
Players have to perform on the court, coaching prepares the players for the moment, the players have to execute. Barnes is a good enough coach to get that UT squad prepared for the big moments.
I guess I have just been impressed with what I've seen out of UT. Haven't seen much of UVA, but we know they're going to be tough to score on.
All fair points.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I got banned from RR for saying the same thing several UK posters are saying here. Your mods suck.

I wasn't trying to get your dander up, sorry if my post came across that way.

On the Nevada thing, Musselman hasn't been to a single final four that I know of, but that is your reasoning for keeping Barnes (UT) off your list.

Also, who has Nevada played so far (I'm asking, because I truly don't know)? I haven't noticed them playing any bigtime opponents. I don't know just how good their offense is, since they haven't played anyone of note yet (I think).

Musselman has been at Nevada for 4 years. Barnes has 30 years of experience. Little different scenario imo. Nevada hasn't really played anyone other than Arizona State. They won't until March. But they were really good last year offensively and returned everyone. They were just atrocious on defense.

On the one hand, we have years of evidence that Virginia struggles to score at neutral venues during the postseason crucible against good teams.

On the other hand, they just put up 100 points. Against Marshall. In December. At home. Hmm...

We do pretty well in the ACC tournament so we don't struggle in all postseason games at neutral venues vs. good teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Blue79
I get where RR30 is coming from leaving Tenn and UVA off the list. With Tenn, Rick Barnes is still the coach. With UVA, they will need to be able to score at a much better rate. Has a Bennett coached UVA team ever been able to do that in the tournament?

I have no problem being left off the title contender list. We've definitely earned our reputation in the NCAA tourney. Plus, we play better as the underdog. I don't need the media or people on this board to validate our program for me (sadly, the rest of our fanbase does). However, I would love for Bennett to have a full complement of players heading into the NCAA tourney for once. It's only happened ONCE and that was in 2016 when we went to the Elite 8. Sure, we choked against Syracuse in that game but it's much better choking in the Elite 8 than in the 1st or 2nd round.

Musselman has been at Nevada for 4 years. Barnes has 30 years of experience. Little different scenario imo. Nevada hasn't really played anyone other than Arizona State. They won't until March. But they were really good last year offensively and returned everyone. They were just atrocious on defense.
I just don't see it with Nevada. Last year was last year, the bracket isn't going to fall apart for them the way it did last year.
You're right, Musselman has only been at Nevada 4 years, but that just reinforces my feelings about him as a coach, very few coaches break through early in their career. Most have to go through some tough times before they figure out how to get over that last hump.
IDK, I just think Barnes has put in the time and now he's got a hard nosed squad that isn't going to crack when they get punched in the mouth in the tournament.

I have no problem being left off the title contender list. We've definitely earned our reputation in the NCAA tourney. Plus, we play better as the underdog. I don't need the media or people on this board to validate our program for me (sadly, the rest of our fanbase does). However, I would love for Bennett to have a full complement of players heading into the NCAA tourney for once. It's only happened ONCE and that was in 2016 when we went to the Elite 8. Sure, we choked against Syracuse in that game but it's much better choking in the Elite 8 than in the 1st or 2nd round.
I think the other teams contending, at the moment are better than UVA. However, That doesn’t mean UVA isn’t capable. You are correct, UVA doesn’t need validation. Great program. Every great program has a few losses in the tournament they aren’t too proud of.

Yeah, I agree on Tennessee. I think they have everything you could want in a contender. They are tough, have guys who can score at every position, guys who can create on their own when they need to but our unselfish, a legit PG, good defense, experience, they present matchup issues, have a bench, and that is all without Turner. He isn't a stud but is a dude who can get hot and win a game for you. I just think they are a very good team.

I just don't see it with Nevada. Last year was last year, the bracket isn't going to fall apart for them the way it did last year.
You're right, Musselman has only been at Nevada 4 years, but that just reinforces my feelings about him as a coach, very few coaches break through early in their career. Most have to go through some tough times before they figure out how to get over that last hump.
IDK, I just think Barnes has put in the time and now he's got a hard nosed squad that isn't going to crack when they get punched in the mouth in the tournament.

They lost on a buzzer beater in the S16 to Loyola. Not exactly like UK's path being perfect then losing to KSU. After beating 2 seed UC. They are a good, experienced team. I'm not saying they are gonna win it all, but I picked 6 teams. It's no fun to pick teams then go straight down the top 5 in order.

Holy shit........I thought maybe someone bumped this thread from like August....But shit, dude posted this, this morning.

Ok.Laughing

I like the way UK looks right now compared to earlier in the year. I think they are still pretty clearly behind Tennessee in the SEC. That team is legit and has everything an elite team needs (and hasn't had one of their best shooters even play yet this year). Still, UK seems to clearly be the best team after them, which wasn't the case earlier.
Meh, Auburn is pretty damn good.

I really like UT. Wouldn't be upset adding them. But their ceiling isn't as high as the other teams imo.
Huh? How can UT's ceiling not be as high as Nevada's? They were a 3 seed that lost 63-62 to Loyola. Who then beat Nevada, by one. UT returns everyone. Just not following here.

BTW, I think UT is the best team. Followed by Michigan.

I have a feeling this thread is gonna be one for the ages....Especially IF Uk goes to Alabama, and gets beat. Or gets steamrolled at UT and Auburn.

Gonna be fun..... And personally I'd probably waited a few weeks. Games coming up(@ Bama, @ Auburn, vs Miss St, and KU), could really, really make this thread entertaining.

Yeah, shouldn't have said clearly. It is probably one of those two teams. I'm not sold at all on MSU or anyone else.
TBH Cory, I havent seen anyone else outside of UK, UT or Auburn; Well, there was that game at Arkansas I has some interest in. So anything after that is a guess. Personally, as of now, I think UT is clearly the best team. And I think they are CBB best team.

Huh? How can UT's ceiling not be as high as Nevada's? They were a 3 seed that lost 63-62 to Loyola. Who then beat Nevada, by one. UT returns everyone. Just not following here.

BTW, I think UT is the best team. Followed by Michigan.

Didn't specifically point out Nevada. Just said their ceiling isn't as high as others. Plus they have Rick Barnes coaching. I like my odds with them not winning a title. I could be dead wrong of course.

so...the undoubted most talented and likely best team in the nation has no chance at a title but a team they stomped out (and i mean historic like) definitely does?

i'm think this is hyperbole...or at least i hope it is.

Didn't specifically point out Nevada. Just said their ceiling isn't as high as others. Plus they have Rick Barnes coaching. I like my odds with them not winning a title. I could be dead wrong of course.
I've never understood the dislike for Barnes as a coach. He's been to a FF...Three Elite 8's. When he's had good teams, he's been good in the NCAAT. Yeah he's had some stinkers. But overall, he has won almost 700 games, some conference titles, and as mentioned, a Final Four.

so...the undoubted most talented and likely best team in the nation has no chance at a title but a team they stomped out (and i mean historic like) definitely does?

i'm think this is hyperbole...or at least i hope it is.

Do you not know who OP is lol?

I've never understood the dislike for Barnes as a coach. He's been to a FF...Three Elite 8's. When he's had good teams, he's been good in the NCAAT. Yeah he's had some stinkers. But overall, he has won almost 700 games, some conference titles, and as mentioned, a Final Four.

One final four in 30 years. 20 years +at a p5 school. His track record is lacking for being at good schools for that long imo.

ADVERTISEMENT