ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky will win the Natty

I like their trend also. With Cal's teams, that's what you have to view to understand their progress. The overall body of work really doesn't mean much. They need to keep trending upwards (obviously) but 2 guys not getting much minutes need to fight in practice and earn that time for us to get back in the big picture. Nick and EJ. Its tough for them because how can you take time away from PJ, Reid and Keldon?

With some the athletic big guys we'll be facing. starting with Alabama and Donte Hall, Reid will have defensive problems guarding them. We need Nick for those types.
Yeah, Nick and EJ need to step up and contribute a lot more. If (when) Washington and Travis get into foul trouble those two need to at least be serviceable and not complete liabilities.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Let’s see how we do against Tennessee Kansas and Auburn coming up. Beating three mediocre teams in a row doesn’t tell me much
I think UK beats both Tennessee and Auburn. Auburn is really good when they're on fire from 3 point and really meh when they're not. Tennessee just doesn't pass the eye test imo, they're good but not great. Kansas I think gets the W this year.

Yeah, Nick and EJ need to step up and contribute a lot more. If (when) Washington and Travis get into foul trouble those two need to at least be serviceable and not complete liabilities.

EJ is somewhat understandable. Cal's trying to move him to the 3 which is a tough transition for him. Nick needs his confidence back lol. He's got more skills than WCC had, but not the same mentality.

Ashton is doing fine. His decision making and taking care of the ball needs some work but that's coming. He reminds me of Wayne Turner. Not a great shooter, hell Wayne had one of the ugliest shots ever, but a defensive stopper with blow by capabilities.

I think UK beats both Tennessee and Auburn. Auburn is really good when they're on fire from 3 point and really meh when they're not. Tennessee just doesn't pass the eye test imo, they're good but not great. Kansas I think gets the W this year.
We owe Kansas. They've won three in a row coming into Rupp this season. Have to break that streak

I agree with you. PJ is a nightmare for Grant. He played well against him last year. We can play physical ball with them. Spot on about Auburn. They'll just try and outscore us.

I'ld give Kansas the nod right now. I'm still hoping for more improvement and more contributions from a couple of our players before that one.

The one sec I think can really give us problems, is MSU. They're much better than people realize. Not that UT won't be a problem, because those will be dog fights.

-Best rebounding team in CBB
-top 15 team in shooting %
-above average 36% from beyond the arc with 4 players shooting over 38%
-excellent FT shooting team (what?!?!?! a Cal team in the top 50 in FT%?) that is top 15 at getting to the line
-improving defense that will be lock down by March with the best on ball and off ball defender in CBB
-Good depth
-High level NBA prospect that can take over in Keldon Johnson
-two players that can score down low at will

I was depressed when Duke killed us the first game of the year and thought they were world beaters. Too bad no team is winning a championship shooting 32% from beyond the arc. No team has ever done it in the 3pt era. The worst shooting team to win a title was UConn in 2011 at 33%

It really comes down to UK, Michigan and Kansas. Tennessee is Tennessee and plus they don't have high level talent or an elite defense. We all know Kansas isn't winning a title, so it comes down to UK and Michigan. Beilein will choke again.

Kentucky Wildcats, your 2019 NCAA champions.
Good lord, this level of homerism is offensive.

Our turn then :)
giphy.gif

-excellent FT shooting team (what?!?!?! a Cal team in the top 50 in FT%?) that is top 15 at getting to the line
-improving defense that will be lock down by March with the best on ball and off ball defender in CBB
-Good depth

I was depressed when Duke killed us the first game of the year and thought they were world beaters. Too bad no team is winning a championship shooting 32% from beyond the arc. No team has ever done it in the 3pt era. The worst shooting team to win a title was UConn in 2011 at 33%

It really comes down to UK, Michigan and Kansas. Tennessee is Tennessee and plus they don't have high level talent or an elite defense. We all know Kansas isn't winning a title, so it comes down to UK and Michigan. Beilein will choke again.

Best on ball defender in CBB?

-Good depth

Crazy! We fired Marvin I need your insight

So you're telling me that the champion in 2014 lost by 33 in the LAST regular season game in late February scoring only 48 in the process but a team can't recover from losing by 30 in the FIRST GAME OF THE REGULAR SEASON while scoring 84?

Bout like saying a team that shoot 32%from 3 has no chance to win the title bc it’s never happened in the 3pt era although a team that shot 33% won in the last 5 years. Lmao pot meet kettle, in a classic matchup.

Reactions: Quavarius
Kev, what about our boy Marvin getting shit canned who’s are next coach, so help me if u say hue I ll be highly pissed
It will be Hue or Vance Joseph. Maybe even Darrin Simmons. Mike Brown gonna Mike Brown. He'll find a way to replace Marvin with a coach that's even worse.

I certainly like the way they are trending, especially on defense. Losing Green has definitely been addition by subtraction, too.
I have noticed that. I am guessing that it allows Hagans more burn? Which is a big reason why the UK defense looks like it is getting better every time out.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I agree with you. PJ is a nightmare for Grant. He played well against him last year. We can play physical ball with them. Spot on about Auburn. They'll just try and outscore us.

I'ld give Kansas the nod right now. I'm still hoping for more improvement and more contributions from a couple of our players before that one.

The one sec I think can really give us problems, is MSU. They're much better than people realize. Not that UT won't be a problem, because those will be dog fights.

LOL, do you guys do any research without citing off information as facts?
'PJ is a nightmare for Grant and played well against him last year?' Outside of his first game in Knoxville, he didn't do squat!!

PJ vs UT last year - 13 pts, 3 rebs, 1 assist... 4 points 3 rebs.... 5 points and 5 rebs.... That brings an average of 7.3 pts, 3.6 rebs for the 3 meetings..
Grant vs UK last year - 18 pts 8 rebs, 4 assists..... 10 points 3 rebs 2 assists... 15 pts, 9 rebs, 3 assists.... Average of 14.3 pts, 6.6 rebs.

If by doubling Washington's production means that Washington is a nightmare and played well against him,then by all means he sure did!!!

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
I have noticed that. I am guessing that it allows Hagans more burn? Which is a big reason why the UK defense looks like it is getting better every time out.
More time for Hagans but more specifically Herro. Quade had been playing off the ball for the most part since Gilgeous-Alexander took over the point last season. Herro rarely comes off the court now. Played 36 minutes against UNC and Louisville.

LOL, do you guys do any research without citing off information as facts?
'PJ is a nightmare for Grant and played well against him last year?' Outside of his first game in Knoxville, he didn't do squat!!

PJ vs UT last year - 13 pts, 3 rebs, 1 assist... 4 points 3 rebs.... 5 points and 5 rebs.... That brings an average of 7.3 pts, 3.6 rebs for the 3 meetings..
Grant vs UK last year - 18 pts 8 rebs, 4 assists..... 10 points 3 rebs 2 assists... 15 pts, 9 rebs, 3 assists.... Average of 14.3 pts, 6.6 rebs.

If by doubling Washington's production means that Washington is a nightmare and played well against him,then by all means he sure did!!!

Yikes

Reactions: tnvol47
Duke
Kansas
Gonzaga
Kentucky
Michigan
Nevada

These are the 6 I would pick from for teams to win the title.
I wouldn't put UK or Nevada on this list right now. Nevada is a huge fraud, I don't understand the love they're getting.
But you can't be taken seriously if you don't have Virginia and Tennessee on your list.
Tennessee might have the two toughest dudes in cbb on their squad in my opinion. Schoffield and Grant seem to thrive on getting punched in the mouth. They also have legit guards.
I'm less confident in UVA, because you have to score to win it all, but if they get the right match-ups, they can win it all.
But I just don't see it with UK yet, they have to show me more. Yes, they've gotten much better, but they never should have looked as bad as they looked to begin with.
Hagans and Quickly need to turn into legit offensive threats, inside and out, before I believe in UK. It's a guards game.

I wouldn't put UK or Nevada on this list right now. Nevada is a huge fraud, I don't understand the love they're getting.
But you can't be taken seriously if you don't have Virginia and Tennessee on your list.
Tennessee might have the two toughest dudes in cbb on their squad in my opinion. Schoffield and Grant seem to thrive on getting punched in the mouth. They also have legit guards.
I'm less confident in UVA, because you have to score to win it all, but if they get the right match-ups, they can win it all.
But I just don't see it with UK yet, they have to show me more. Yes, they've gotten much better, but they never should have looked as bad as they looked to begin with.
Hagans and Quickly need to turn into legit offensive threats, inside and out, before I believe in UK. It's a guards game.
I get where RR30 is coming from leaving Tenn and UVA off the list. With Tenn, Rick Barnes is still the coach. With UVA, they will need to be able to score at a much better rate. Has a Bennett coached UVA team ever been able to do that in the tournament?

Reactions: RR30
Has a Bennett coached UVA team ever been able to do that in the tournament?

On the one hand, we have years of evidence that Virginia struggles to score at neutral venues during the postseason crucible against good teams.

On the other hand, they just put up 100 points. Against Marshall. In December. At home. Hmm...

Well... That's my opinion so if you don't like it... okay? Rick Barnes has made one final four in 30 years of coaching, including 20 at P5 schools. He's had a lot of talent in those years too.
UVA has the track record of being an awesome regular season program, and an okay postseason one. Considering the seeds they get, they have underachieved. Usually because their offense isn't good enough. Bennett's style of play intentionally slows the game down and come March that's not a great thing.
Nevada has one of the best offenses in the country and a very experienced team. UK is one of the most talented teams in the country and Calipari has a very good track record of being dangerous.

On the one hand, we have years of evidence that Virginia struggles to score at neutral venues during the postseason crucible against good teams.

On the other hand, they just put up 100 points. Against Marshall. In December. At home. Hmm...
Maybe this is the year....

They might not pass your eye test but they will pass your kick ass test when they kick UK's ass.

Reactions: GhostVol
They might not pass your eye test but they will pass your kick ass test when they kick UK's ass.
Never happening, UK is winning the title this year. Lockdown defense, can't miss from three, never miss a rebound, etc. Your days are numbered.

ADVERTISEMENT