ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Vs. Tennessee

I think it is the dumbest thing in the world to associate fandom with racist people. Rooting for any certain team or school doesn’t make someone racist. If someone is a racist POS and they are a fan of any team, odds are they were a racist POS before they started following said team.

Just saying. It is by far the dumbest insult on this board to call fans of a certain school racist.

I think it is the dumbest thing in the world to associate fandom with racist people. Rooting for any certain team or school doesn’t make someone racist. If someone is a racist POS and they are a fan of any team, odds are they were a racist POS before they started following said team.

Just saying. It is by far the dumbest insult on this board to call fans of a certain school racist.
Maybe I missed it but who said fans of a certain team were racist?

I'm not sure anyone has. It wasn't necessarily directed at anyone particular ITT. But lets not act like UK fans haven't been labeled racist before around here because of a few stupid people.
Got ya, thought I missed something.
While I definitely know that the majority of UK fans aren’t racist. The problem is when you have Adolph Rupp, the movie Glory Road ( which UK legend Pat Riley served as a technical director ) & Rex saying that he left UK because he was told not to date black females gives rival fans the ammo to scream racism.

I'm not sure anyone has. It wasn't necessarily directed at anyone particular ITT. But lets not act like UK fans haven't been labeled racist before around here because of a few stupid people.

If they’re labeled racist, I’m pretty sure it’s about the territory, not the fandom. I’m guessing only Louisville fans would try to argue that UK fans are more racist than fans of other local schools.Laughing

Got ya, thought I missed something.
While I definitely know that the majority of UK fans aren’t racist. The problem is when you have Adolph Rupp, the movie Glory Road ( which UK legend Pat Riley served as a technical director ) & Rex saying that he left UK because he was told not to date black females gives rival fans the ammo to scream racism.
I'm not going to pretend to know Rupp or Rex personally, but all I can say is look at the big picture, especially in the Rupp scenario. He coached at a time when racism was much more at large. You can't tell me with a straight face he was the only old white guy in coaching in the 40's 50's and 60's who might have been a little racist. It was a pretty common thing.

Also, Rupp recruited the first black player in the SEC. Even if he was stuck in his ways at one point, he seemed to see the light towards the end.

So fine, if rival fans want to scream about racism from the 50's and 60's, I guess have at it.

If they’re labeled racist, I’m pretty sure it’s about the territory, not the fandom. I’m guessing only Louisville fans would try to argue that UK fans are more racist than fans of other local schools.Laughing
Of course they do, they don't have anything else to talk smack about.

I'm not going to pretend to know Rupp or Rex personally, but all I can say is look at the big picture, especially in the Rupp scenario. He coached at a time when racism was much more at large. You can't tell me with a straight face he was the only old white guy in coaching in the 40's 50's and 60's who might have been a little racist. It was a pretty common thing.

Also, Rupp recruited the first black player in the SEC. Even if he was stuck in his ways at one point, he seemed to see the light towards the end.

So fine, if rival fans want to scream about racism from the 50's and 60's, I guess have at it.
Oh I agree about Rupp. I believe the biggest flaw with Rupp is that he was so successful & so vocal about not wanting to recruit black that he’s become the poster boy for racist coaches in that era. I’ll guarantee that we wasnt the only one, he was just the most popular.

Well, the proof is there my guy. We had African American players long before u uh Kay.

I guess I’m playing right in to ur hypothetical, but when u have one of the largest fan bases in sports, and the territory of many of said fans is Kentucky, esp eastern Kentucky, it just comes down to statistics at some point. And I know every fan base has some crazies and racists, and (enter unredeeming quality here) and they don’t represent the entirety or majority of a fan base, but it comes down to statistics/numbers, so yes UK likely has far more racist fans than any other local school, but that’s no way an indictment on the university or the fan base as a whole. Like mentioned, racists people are more likely to be raised to be racists long before they choose a sports team to follow.

I’d also be willing to bet There are likely more racists Kansas fans than racist Kansas State or Wichita State fans, bc Kansas has a much larger fan base. But again that doesn’t make the entirety of Kansas fans racists, just like the woman in the video doesn’t represent the entirety of uks fan base.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Rupp was the opposite of a racist. He had his life threatened for trying to segregate SEC basketball. That is not my claim, that is an historical fact.

There are also the historical facts that he used racial slurs and refused to recruit black players for a time. So not sure opposite of racists is the angle you should be going for, but I will agree that his “racism” is probably over criticized bc of his fame/success and the time frame and location in which he coached.

I guess I’m playing right in to ur hypothetical, but when u have one of the largest fan bases in sports, and the territory of many of said fans is Kentucky, esp eastern Kentucky, it just comes down to statistics at some point. And I know every fan base has some crazies and racists, and (enter unredeeming quality here) and they don’t represent the entirety or majority of a fan base, but it comes down to statistics/numbers, so yes UK likely has far more racist fans than any other local school, but that’s no way an indictment on the university or the fan base as a whole. Like mentioned, racists people are more likely to be raised to be racists long before they choose a sports team to follow.

I’d also be willing to bet There are likely more racists Kansas fans than racist Kansas State or Wichita State fans, bc Kansas has a much larger fan base. But again that doesn’t make the entirety of Kansas fans racists, just like the woman in the video doesn’t represent the entirety of uks fan base.

I know what you're saying, but the issue was whether Kentucky fans are more racist than other schools' fans, not if there were more racist Kentucky fans.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
There are also the historical facts that he used racial slurs and refused to recruit black players for a time. So not sure opposite of racists is the angle you should be going for, but I will agree that his “racism” is probably over criticized bc of his fame/success and the time frame and location in which he coached.
Even Wes Unseld said one reason he picked UL over UK was because Rupp sent assistant coaches to in home visits because Rupp wouldn’t visit a black family in their home.

I'll bet some would. They'd say that certain areas of Kentucky are more racist than others, and they're more highly populated by UK fans.
Right, bc there are so many Louisville fans in Appalachia/eastern/southern Ky. o_O

Shit, look at Bert. Dude is a certified racist.

There was a time they called our team the “black birds”.

Thread is finally getting interesting.
giphy.gif

SmokinSmile

I'll bet some would. They'd say that certain areas of Kentucky are more racist than others, and they're more highly populated by UK fans.

What your saying is absolutely true about areas of Kentucky having more racists people and that those areas have far more UK fans than fans of any other local school, that was the exact point I was aiming at in my earlier post, but that doesn’t mean that being a UK fan makes you a racist, that would be an insanely stupid stance to take. Plus it’s not like the uk fan base is entirely made up of white people. Ive seen and know plenty of black uk fans, as well as Latino uk fans, etc. Their fandom doesn’t make them sellouts just like a white person being a uk fan doesn’t make them racist.

The only way I could plausibly relate racist people to a fan base is if they choose to root for a school bc that school routinely has a lot more white players than most schools. But even thats a helluva stretch and doesn’t make the entire fan base racist.

To me, fandom for most people comes down to where they are from, family ties to an area or university, or being an alum of a university. But I don’t think anyone with a lick of common sense would correlate what college team you root for as an indication of being a racist or not.

Even Wes Unseld said one reason he picked UL over UK was because Rupp sent assistant coaches to in home visits because Rupp wouldn’t visit a black family in their home.

Damn son, for a UNc fan you sure do know an awful lot about Kentucky basketball and now you’re even telling details about recruiting visits lol

What your saying is absolutely true about areas of Kentucky having more racists people and that those areas have far more UK fans than fans of any other local school, that was the exact point I was aiming at in my earlier post, but that doesn’t mean that being a UK fan makes you a racist, that would be an insanely stupid stance to take. Plus it’s not like the uk fan base is entirely made up of white people. Ive seen and know plenty of black uk fans, as well as Latino uk fans, etc. Their fandom doesn’t make them sellouts just like a white person being a uk fan doesn’t make them racist.

The only way I could plausibly relate racist people to a fan base is if they choose to root for a school bc that school routinely has a lot more white players than most schools. But even thats a helluva stretch and doesn’t make the entire fan base racist.

To me, fandom for most people comes down to where they are from, family ties to an area or university, or being an alum of a university. But I don’t think anyone with a lick of common sense would correlate what college team you root for as an indication of being a racist or not.

Here’s the thing, some people are going to use race and everything else to try and make Kentucky and it’s fans look bad and they don’t care how dumb they look doing it. Do we have some wacko fans? Hell yes, but tell me a fan base that doesn’t! I myself appreciate those people because it gives me a good laugh and reminds me that they are threatened by UK!!!

Damn son, for a UNc fan you sure do know an awful lot about Kentucky basketball and now you’re even telling details about recruiting visits lol

Well he does live in Kentucky, and anyone knows you can't go anywhere in this state without hearing about the YUTS

That’s a nice link but let a story about Roy or K or any other coach come out about not Visiting a recruit and I promise you I’m not gonna read it.

biblebelt-58b9e03a5f9b58af5cbd3304-7b5491c373f549d1886e4a6530d8d0db.jpg

Look at all of those dark green states the represent the South (ignore Utah).

Hmmm, which one stands out the most.
Besides Utah of course, Florida is my pick.

*Just noticed that's a "bible belt" map and not a southern states map, That explains Utah, and Florida.

Well he does live in Kentucky, and anyone knows you can't go anywhere in this state without hearing about the YUTS

While that may be true in most cases this dude knows more about Kentucky than most Kentucky fans. You can’t sit there with a straight face and say that’s normal! You seen his video on YouTube, dude hates/loves UK with a passion.

ADVERTISEMENT