ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas vs Kentucky (Let’s try this again)

If they call the game close, UK probably wins. Gonzaga went on a run when Agabji went out with his 4th foul (was a 73-70 game when he went out and when he came back it was closer to 15). Braun is a great shooter but he is a liability on defense. He reminds me of wiltjers for UK a couple years back. if Wiltjers wasn't hitting 3's he wasn't worth being out there, same with Braun. Harris was an unique find against St. Joes, but not sure if that was a fluke or if we can expect more of that. McCormack has been garbage this year so far. Agbaji and Garrett are both good defenders and both have length that will make it hard for the 2 and 3 of UK. I think it will be a good game but if UK comes out and turns the ball over against KU like they did against Richmond, it will be a long night for UK. My guess is UK cleans up their mistakes, and it comes down to the end with KU winning a close one 78-74.

KU didn't play poorly against Gonzaga.

There were a lot of things done in that game you like from a Kansas perspective.

Kentucky's response is what is going to matter. How well do they respond from adversity

Like I said a month ago. You just don't know with the players. Never on the coach it is always on the players. Calipari usually brings in the right guys and usually they listen to him and the staff because they want to get to the NBA

Game I wouldn't bet on and is for sure a 50/50 game

If both teams play like they did in their defeat
KU wins by 15+

You don't know how Kentucky responds. They are better than that talent wise.

If they call the game close, UK probably wins. Gonzaga went on a run when Agabji went out with his 4th foul (was a 73-70 game when he went out and when he came back it was closer to 15). Braun is a great shooter but he is a liability on defense. He reminds me of wiltjers for UK a couple years back. if Wiltjers wasn't hitting 3's he wasn't worth being out there, same with Braun. Harris was an unique find against St. Joes, but not sure if that was a fluke or if we can expect more of that. McCormack has been garbage this year so far. Agbaji and Garrett are both good defenders and both have length that will make it hard for the 2 and 3 of UK. I think it will be a good game but if UK comes out and turns the ball over against KU like they did against Richmond, it will be a long night for UK. My guess is UK cleans up their mistakes, and it comes down to the end with KU winning a close one 78-74.
I’m sorry but you have a very, very poor take on Christian Braun

Reactions: toonces11
I’m sorry but you have a very, very poor take on Christian Braun
In the Gonzaga game his man that he guarded was Krispert....Krispert beat him continously like Braun stole something. Against St. Joe's his guy was bishop...who was tied with Daly as the high scorer. I like Braun's game but lets not be confused on what his role on the team is. He is not there for defense.

In the Gonzaga game his man that he guarded was Krispert....Krispert beat him continously like Braun stole something. Against St. Joe's his guy was bishop...who was tied with Daly as the high scorer. I like Braun's game but lets not be confused on what his role on the team is. He is not there for defense.
I agree but he is not a liability. He does much more offensively than shoot 3’s. That is his strength for sure but you are not giving him any credit at all. He’s far better than you think he is.

Interested to see if we see improvement from Kansas on defense. We have some very good one on one defenders but it will take us awhile to learn to play team defense. Self prides himself on defense. This team will figure that out. Not worried. Just curious to see if we see a quick improvement against a UK team that appears to be limited in its shooting ability.

We appear to be ahead of where I thought we would be offensively. Interested to see how we handle UK. On the surface I like this matchup for KU with what I think is a quicker team and a better shooting team. As long as we take care of the ball I would think this match-up favors us. We have length at guard but obviously will give up some size on the interior. Will be interesting to see if UK can exploit that.

KU Gonzaga was much closer than the score indicated. Credit Gonzaga but they probably had 20-30 easy points that won’t be so easy 2 months from now. Sure they could have worked more in those possessions and eventually scored but you won’t see a good KU team give up easy points like they did against Gonzaga later on in the season. This Ku team will be good.
What stands out to me is that KU is licking their wounds after getting beat by likely the best team in the country, UK is licking their wounds after getting beat by Richmond, who is a really good, senior-laden team, but nowhere close to the best team in the country. It’s understandable to be able to regroup when you lose to the #1 team in the land. Not sure how you do that when Richmond puts you down for a nap?

What stands out to me is that KU is licking their wounds after getting beat by likely the best team in the country, UK is licking their wounds after getting beat by Richmond, who is a really good, senior-laden team, but nowhere close to the best team in the country. It’s understandable to be able to regroup when you lose to the #1 team in the land. Not sure how you do that when Richmond puts you down for a nap?
Yeah I hear you. Trust me if it happened to Ku I would be pissed. At the same time it was an experienced team that is going to be in the tourney. UK looked pretty bad though. Not a lot of shooting or ball handlers. Seemed very clunky. Long season though and it was just one game.

we played Gonzaga a lot closer than the score and once again Gonzaga got a lot of points on stuff that won’t happen once we learn to play team defense. Gonzaga and Baylor is closer to their ceiling than any of the tops teams. However they both are great teams. UK and KU are nothing like what they will be later on.

I am just not sure what kind of ball handlers and shooters UK has. If I was a UK fan that would concern me. Who knows though man. There is talent there. Early season games are fickle.

we had 29 turnovers last year versus duke in the first game and were the best team in the country by January. Looking forward to the game.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Yeah I hear you. Trust me if it happened to Ku I would be pissed. At the same time it was an experienced team that is going to be in the tourney. UK looked pretty bad though. Not a lot of shooting or ball handlers. Seemed very clunky. Long season though and it was just one game.

we played Gonzaga a lot closer than the score and once again Gonzaga got a lot of points on stuff that won’t happen once we learn to play team defense. Gonzaga and Baylor is closer to their ceiling than any of the tops teams. However they both are great teams. UK and KU are nothing like what they will be later on.

I am just not sure what kind of ball handlers and shooters UK has. If I was a UK fan that would concern me. Who knows though man. There is talent there. Early season games are fickle.

we had 29 turnovers last year versus duke in the first game and were the best team in the country by January. Looking forward to the game.
Here’s another frustrating factor; on UK’s bench sits a sophomore who redshirted last year as a freshman (torn ACL) that averaged 42 points/gm in high school. He made as many 3s from the bench yesterday as the guys that played. Zero. He was never put in, even after we see it going south, only to lose anyway.

Cal is tightening up his 8 man team already without giving a high school star an opportunity in a losing game. Unbelievable.

Here’s another frustrating factor; on UK’s bench sits a sophomore who redshirted last year as a freshman (torn ACL) that averaged 42 points/gm in high school. He made as many 3s from the bench yesterday as the guys that played. Zero. He was never put in, even after we see it going south, only to lose anyway.

Cal is tightening up his 8 man team already without giving a high school star an opportunity in a losing game. Unbelievable.
Who is that?

one thing I appreciate about Self is he plays a ton of people early. He gives everyone a chance but starts to cut it down late non-con. I’ve seen UK fans post before that Cal has his favorites. All coaches do. I’ve never felt Self played favorites.

Who is that?

one thing I appreciate about Self is he plays a ton of people early. He gives everyone a chance but starts to cut it down late non-con. I’ve seen UK fans post before that Cal has his favorites. All coaches do. I’ve never felt Self played favorites.

Dontaie Allen

He was an absolute scoring machine in HS. Had some injuries prior to his freshman year, redshirted. Won Mr. Basketball in Kentucky.

UK -1 vs Kansas...

Those Vegas dudes are fukin genius, man....

I wonder how many of you will swing and miss on this?

Hopefully me. Although that line alone makes me think UK will win bc I can’t see the public money going towards uk after their performance against Richmond at home none the less. But who knows man.

Dontaie Allen

He was an absolute scoring machine in HS. Had some injuries prior to his freshman year, redshirted. Won Mr. Basketball in Kentucky.

Was very eager to see him play this year. Not many times does the state produce such a highly ranked kid.

Was The acl injury he suffered in high school what caused him to miss his freshmen year at UK or was it a different injury?

I expect this to be a competitive game, but wouldn’t be surprised if either team won by 15. There are a lot of unknowns for both teams.

Too bad no one records KU fans.

*Didn't mean to post my madlibs template.

Last edited:

Just went back and watched the 25 minute highlight video of the Zags/KU game that shows every made bucket and shooting foul. Braun wasn’t guarding Kispert on a single made bucket by Kispert. In fact Braun only guarded Kispert 3 times all early in the game and because of switching Braun was off of him by the time the shot was put up. In fact Braun only had 2 shots made on him where he was the closest defender all game by anyone. Kispert scored most of his buckets on McCormack, Wilson, and Thompson that game.

The St Joes game has a 23 min video. Braun literally only gave up 3 buckets the entire game. Two of them were 3 when the shooter was 3-5 feet behind the 3pt line and Braun had a hand in his face on both of them. The other bucket was on the fast break and Braun didn’t actually give up a bucket he just committed a shooting foul. Braun did get beat cleanly on one play but Agbaji rotated over for the block.

Braun rarely guarded a shooter in the game because of switching and the fact that he was guarding the wing more than the top of the key. Braun was far from a liability in either game on defense. He can stand to tighten up his rotating defense but everyone on KU can work on that.

Why is he not playing?
Good question. I think it’s just that Cal is just too singly-focused on his legacy/ability to get kids to the NBA first and foremost, but most UK fans want what’s best for the program, not necessarily the players individually. Opinions vary.

Reactions: KUhawks34

Allen must not be showing up in practice, the only thing I can think of. Look at guys like Willis and Hawkins, they didn't contribute until they were upperclassmen. More concerning was that Askew played 35 minutes while doing absolutely nothing but getting worked over on defense. Mintz, the much better defender and better shooter with way more experience, played 9 minutes.

More concerning was that Askew played 35 minutes while doing absolutely nothing but getting worked over on defense. Mintz, the much better defender and better shooter with way more experience, played 9 minutes.
This....My brother was all over this. I mean why bring the guy in, to begin with? Askew may hve a higher ceiling---but right now, Mintz is better. Askew got abused..

This....My brother was all over this. I mean why bring the guy in, to begin with? Askew may hve a higher ceiling---but right now, Mintz is better. Askew got abused..
Yep, and Askew has the lateral quickness of a sloth. It wasn't just blow bys that was eating up the guards though, Richmond was getting wide open jumpers alllll day long. It's not like they were getting open from screens either... they were just ALWAYS open. 😆

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Yep, and Askew has the lateral quickness of a sloth. It wasn't just blow bys that was eating up the guards though, Richmond was getting wide open jumpers alllll day long. It's not like they were getting open from screens either... they were just ALWAYS open. 😆

I saw a lot of hand down man down defense on Richmond shooters yesterday. It’s so frustrating watching that as a fan. Especially on big men who aren’t going to just go by you. I’ve seen a UK defense that has potential but is very thin and a little bit lazy with their close outs.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Allen must not be showing up in practice, the only thing I can think of. Look at guys like Willis and Hawkins, they didn't contribute until they were upperclassmen. More concerning was that Askew played 35 minutes while doing absolutely nothing but getting worked over on defense. Mintz, the much better defender and better shooter with way more experience, played 9 minutes.

He's doesn't care if you're from Kentucky. Darius Miller is the only Kentucky kid who got the PT he deserved and he wasn't even a Cal recruit. This team would be better if they had Tandy and David Johnson on the roster.

Thank you for helping me be able to post on here again BTW.

I’ve seen UK fans say that the reason Askew is getting more time is because Mintz is more of a 2G while Askew has more pure PG skills. I know Cal’s offense is similar in a way to Roy’s offense at UNC where it requires more of a pure PG to maximize the offense. Self’s offense requires a PG who is efficient in the PnR. I would think Cal’s offense requires the PG to be able to drive and kick but not sure on why a pure PG is needed more in Cal’s offense than a combo guard.

Reactions: RunninRichie
This is the offense UK is planning on running.

BitterBriskDikkops-max-1mb.gif

I saw a lot of hand down man down defense on Richmond shooters yesterday. It’s so frustrating watching that as a fan. Especially on big men who aren’t going to just go by you. I’ve seen a UK defense that has potential but is very thin and a little bit lazy with their close outs.
Exactly. Cal has a lot of shit to cover in practice today before the game tomorrow. They need to spend at least 10 hours watching game tape from yesterday just to address all the ways not to play basketball. 😆

• Sad
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
He's doesn't care if you're from Kentucky. Darius Miller is the only Kentucky kid who got the PT he deserved and he wasn't even a Cal recruit. This team would be better if they had Tandy and David Johnson on the roster.

Thank you for helping me be able to post on here again BTW.
Welcome back! I'd be happy to have Hollingworth and Williams on the roster from WKU.

ADVERTISEMENT