ADVERTISEMENT

IU fans

mebeblue2

Dec 20, 2009
why do so many of your fanbase all but hate Alford?

i got bored today and was reading on the IU board and was shocked

what am i missing?

Reactions: buddha7mu
why do so many of your fanbase all but hate Alford?

i got bored today and was reading on the IU board and was shocked

what am i missing?
I think a bunch of it is people are terrified of him being the coach at IU. Because of this, they feel like they've got to go overboard on the bashing of him. If they don't, its possible that an inept AD department will think that it will be okay to bring him in.

Another issue is he just comes across as a smug asshole and it bothers people. But, I think the majority of it is based on his coaching record and the handling of the pierce situation at Iowa. He's just a really bad coach at a power 5.

Just saw your question about who pierce was. While at Iowa he was his best player. One night apparently he beat the shit out of his girlfriend, I believe. Instead of doing the right thing, I believe he had the girls minister go try and talk her out of pressing charges. Some of these details might be a little off, it's been awhile and I don't follow Iowa. But, its something along these lines.

I think a bunch of it is people are terrified of him being the coach at IU. Because of this, they feel like they've got to go overboard on the bashing of him. If they don't, its possible that an inept AD department will think that it will be okay to bring him in.

Another issue is he just comes across as a smug asshole and it bothers people. But, I think the majority of it is based on his coaching record and the handling of the pierce situation at Iowa. He's just a really bad coach at a power 5.

Just saw your question about who pierce was. While at Iowa he was his best player. One night apparently he beat the shit out of his girlfriend, I believe. Instead of doing the right thing, I believe he had the girls minister go try and talk her out of pressing charges. Some of these details might be a little off, it's been awhile and I don't follow Iowa. But, its something along these lines.

thanks

that Pierce situation sounds bad
sadly that used to be the norm

Reactions: jace4655555
thanks

that Pierce situation sounds bad
sadly that used to be the norm
Yeah, and a part of me thinks that some of it is probably blown out of proportion. His problem is that he believed his player when he said he didn't do it and that she was out to get him. I know in todays world, it's not the correct thing to say...but I'm fine with that. If someone who I was extremely close to told me he needs help because he didn't do this and he's always been trustworthy...not only will I believe him, but I'll also try and help him.

His biggest problem with it, isn't that he backed pierce, but the perception that he tried to influence the girls decision. Now, I believe he's always denied that he did this and IIRC he had the minister go over to help her because he was her minister also.

Once again, take all of this with a grain of salt because I might have everything mixed up here..

Reactions: hawkit3113
ADVERTISEMENT